Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD] - page 4. (Read 59228 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
hi! everyone Smiley

got a problem one of my S5.

- when i start it the red light blink once then afterwards the yellow light is on. but it's not hashing anymore.
- im using 750w psu all good i tried it on another s5 its working.
- when i do ip scan i can't detect the ip scan of the broken s5 and i cant do a hard reset on it. after pressing
  it for 10 secs nothing happens.

anyone got a similar problem and got a solution please help me

thanks in advance

What is the make and model of the PSU?

i'm using 750w FSP - http://www.fsplifestyle.com/product.php?LID=1&PSN=384

any way to get the ip address on my s5? seems i can't get it with the normal ip scan program i use.
and i can't hard reset the unit

Doesn't sound like something that can be fixed, the controller appears to be bricked. Create a ticket at bitmain.zendesk.com to arrange to return the controller.

ok. Sad

havn't tried removing parts from my miner.
is it easy to remove the controller or ill send the whole s5 unit instead?

You will make a ticket here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com .   If Dogie is correct most likely they will have you send in controller and they send out new one (assuming it is under warranty). But shoot them a ticket and they will let you know Smiley

hi!

thanks for the reply. i send them an email i got a respond they told me to use microSD

You can try with prepared microSD card.
Please take a look at https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204339655-How-to-create-a-bootable-MicroSD-card-with-factory-setting-
You can download firmware from our zendesk portal here: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203461209-Jan-7-Firmware-Image
You will need Windows computer and HDDRawCopy.
After you prepare microSD with image put it in the slot on contol board (while device turned off) and then turn device on.

i try this one hope it will help

anyone tried this one using micro SD card?

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
hi! everyone Smiley

- when i start it the red light blink once then afterwards the yellow light is on. but it's not hashing anymore.
- when i do ip scan i can't detect the ip scan of the broken s5 and i cant do a hard reset on it. after pressing

thanks in advance

any way to get the ip address on my s5? seems i can't get it with the normal ip scan program i use.

Doesn't sound like something that can be fixed, the controller appears to be bricked. Create a ticket at bitmain.zendesk.com to arrange to return the controller.

ok. Sad

You will make a ticket here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com .   If Dogie is correct most likely they will have you send in controller and they send out new one (assuming it is under warranty). But shoot them a ticket and they will let you know Smiley
hi! everyone Smiley

thanks in advance

ok. Sad

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
hi! everyone Smiley

thanks in advance

hi! everyone Smiley

thanks in advance

legendary
dogiecoin.com
hi! everyone Smiley

thanks in advance

hi! everyone Smiley

thanks in advance
legendary
I'm still up in the air on what to do with my dead board.  Shipping to China as the tech who responded to my ticket suggested will cost me $90+ (over $120 if i put it in a box instead of a Pak).

I found this site https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us which if it is real and part of Bitmain (seems like it is as the phone number on the zendesk site matches the US number on the Bitmain site) then the shipping would only be about $12, which would be much easier to swallow.

I am contacting them now and will see where this goes.

They really do have great support.  Let us know how it goes.

But all should go well Smiley
Activity: 4
I'm still up in the air on what to do with my dead board.  Shipping to China as the tech who responded to my ticket suggested will cost me $90+ (over $120 if i put it in a box instead of a Pak).

I found this site https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us which if it is real and part of Bitmain (seems like it is as the phone number on the zendesk site matches the US number on the Bitmain site) then the shipping would only be about $12, which would be much easier to swallow.

I am contacting them now and will see where this goes.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I received my S5 on Thursday. Plugged it in and board one was DOA, shows all dashes.  Followed some guides from the internet could not revive the board. I then contacted Bitmain about the dead board. Bimain had me do all the things I already tried which did not work of course. Now they expect my to pay to ship their defective board back out of my pocket to determine if the board is defective or if there was "improper use".

Bottom line, avoid this company, buy a different ASIC.

I've passed it up the line, it might not affect your case but will try and get the policy changed.
Activity: 4
I received my S5 on Thursday. Plugged it in and board one was DOA, shows all dashes.  Followed some guides from the internet could not revive the board. I then contacted Bitmain about the dead board. Bimain had me do all the things I already tried which did not work of course. Now they expect my to pay to ship their defective board back out of my pocket to determine if the board is defective or if there was "improper use".

Bottom line, avoid this company, buy a different ASIC.
legendary
Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001
I was waiting that they lower prices (I bought for ~320 USD months ago) but since they raised them I am afraid that I have to wait a bit longer.
Not interested in buying overpriced hardware seeing the next generation coming out just when old hardware arrives...
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Dogie, any idea why bitmain raised his price to $360?  Besides the obvious more money?

Maybe so Bitmain can have a "Sale" on S5's when the S7 comes out, and they can make the price look better?

Maybe Bitmain wants to get the maximum amount from the S5's they can build from ASIC parts already ordered?

Maybe because there isn't anybody else making a "ready to ship" miner at this time?

Maybe because they're running low and S7 is still some way out. Or maybe unicorns, we're just guessing here Tongue
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
Dogie, any idea why bitmain raised his price to $360?  Besides the obvious more money?

Maybe so Bitmain can have a "Sale" on S5's when the S7 comes out, and they can make the price look better?

Maybe Bitmain wants to get the maximum amount from the S5's they can build from ASIC parts already ordered?

Maybe because there isn't anybody else making a "ready to ship" miner at this time?
legendary
Activity: 1218

No idea, but its only $20. Probably an adjustment for a cost increase somewhere.

That still adds $.017/gh to an already high $/gh.  But I know where you are coming from.  Hopefully we'll see some coupons then.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

No idea, but its only $20. Probably an adjustment for a cost increase somewhere.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
yea I was not meaning to imply that in 3 days it would change... sorry if that was misleading.. however I think at the date and time of his questions... and given the expected difficulty the price of bitcoin the rising price of electricity.. (going into summer always changes price bracket) and also the new 16 nm chips and talks of the 14nm ,   any new purchase today will probably never pay for itself.. just not the right time...  timing is everything.

just one guys opinion.  That said, I will still buy a few more if the price was right... but knowing they will be obsolete soon makes me cautious
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
Some text snipped here.......

but since the Difficulty changes every few days.. and the cost of electricity is also unstable and the price of bitcoin is not really stable either.. you may never really see any profit.

don't get me wrong it is still possible that things may improve in the price of bitcoin and you could make a profit.. but at least consider all options.

Just to clarify: Bitcoin mining difficulty adjusts after every 2016 blocks. That's supposed to take 14 days. If those 2016 blocks are mined in less than 14 days, then difficulty will increase to try and do the next 2016 blocks in 14 days. If the 2016 blocks take longer than 14 days, then difficulty will decrease, again to bring the next 2016 blocks in right at 14 days.

While it may feel like it's "every few days", it's actually block count based and not time based. If you scroll down a bit on the following page, you can see some past difficulty adjustments and such. Makes for interesting context.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
legendary
First thing... the power source is the one recommended in the tutorial Corsair CX750M @750W. In online shops here this PSU has 4 PCI-E plugs with 6+2 pins and from the pictures I've seen there are 4 separate cables... that's why I asked cause was confusing. Now I understand what I have to do if I'll go this way.
Secondly... I totally get the idea of independence. It doesn't work like the ones on USB but having more machines will each produce the same amount in the same time.
But for the time being I'll reconsider the whole concept of mining, cause from what I see you must have powerful machines of over 2TH that can actually produce some profit. The S5 is no longer powerful enough at actual difficulty rate.
I was also looking for more powerful machines like S4+ but they are very expensive and to make it count one should have at least 2 of those. Also looked for second hand ones(S4+) here in my country but they are sold for the price of a new one which doesn't make sense.
So I'll take my time to think it over.
Thank you guys. You've been very helpful.

It is easy to get sucked into looking at looking at number of TH, but depending on electricity price the more efficient as far as electricity might be a bigger deal.  You don't have to start huge. Nice thing is you can always start with a S5 and add more if you want to.

Both the S5 and S4+ have their own advantages.  One thing to keep in mind with S4+ is the needing of (205V - 264V AC).  So if you have 120 not really the one for you.  You can get 220/240 installed though, I have done it in my miner area. 

In my eyes either one you mentioned is a nice way to get into mining.

Pages:
Jump to: