Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed 5-Chip USB, Blade & Black Miner Support/Tuning - page 101. (Read 308618 times)

Activity: 201
Merit: 100
for Germany i will try this / in Deutschland werde ich folgendes kaufen

10x USB - EUR 7,98 - http://www.ebay.de/itm/310830773406

wenn ihr China-Netzteilen vertraut:
5A - EUR 8,99  - http://www.ebay.de/itm/181330150379
5A - EUR 8,49  - http://www.ebay.de/itm/271294388703
8A - EUR 15,39 - http://www.ebay.de/itm/151169966557

oder doch lieber Qualität?
5A - EUR 19,70 - http://www.reichelt.de/Netzteile-Universal/SNT-5000/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=5&ARTICLE=88560&GROUPID=4948&artnr=SNT+5000

*updated 27.02. *
Activity: 108
Merit: 10

Yes that one looks a good option.

I dont like to tell people that the supplies the makers suggest you use are wrong, but without seeing detailed specs for the equipment I can only use my experience as an electronics engineer to give my opinion.

I have seen plenty of posts in these forums where people are saying things like some units shut down after xx time of mining. Some are even advocating regular restarts to keep things running. Those are the sort of symtoms that might well result from running a power supply on its limit. A power surge or some circuit condition that draws a little more power for an instant might cause a momentary current limit in the supply and that could easily disrupt the miner's operation.

Consequently I would suggest a 6 amp supply for each miner or run 5 miners from one 30 amp supply.

As far as wiring goes, the tails from each power lead need to be terminated on the power supply itself, as shown in the pictures you have published. If you use an octopus type of splitter you would be putting far too much current through a single small cable. How thick is the lead to your kettle? That is carrying about 12 amps. A cable carrying 25 amps needs to be quite beefy. One miner uses about 5 amps so wire each tail direct to the power unit.

Thx for the explanation ... So I can just cut the "octopus type of splitter cable" and wire each to the power supply ... that should work?
Yes that would be fine.
Activity: 434
Merit: 265

As far as wiring goes, the tails from each power lead need to be terminated on the power supply itself, as shown in the pictures you have published. If you use an octopus type of splitter you would be putting far too much current through a single small cable. How thick is the lead to your kettle? That is carrying about 12 amps. A cable carrying 25 amps needs to be quite beefy. One miner uses about 5 amps so wire each tail direct to the power unit.

Thx for the explanation ... So I can just cut the "octopus type of splitter cable" and wire each to the power supply ... that should work?
That unit would, on paper, drive one 5 chip unit in dual mode but personally I would rather use a supply with a little bit of extra capacity, say 6 or 8 amps. These things are never exact and a 5 amp device might use 4.9 amps or it might use 5.1 amps. Running a power supply flat out is usually not a great idea anyway.
Yes you could use an ATX power supply to give the 12V needed. ATX units come in various ratings and can supply different amounts of current on their 12V rails. It would be a messy solution though as you would need to join some pins on the motherboard connector so that it would run standalone and in my experience you would need a unit which was specified over your needs as I think they are not designed to cope with continuous flat out use. You would need to know what you are doing to wire it up and the cost would be likely be way more than the simple supplies shown in your pictures.

Suitable power supplies are cheaply available on ebay for driving LED lighting strips. For instance -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Stock-DC-12V-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-/161081134308

These look like the same type.

I'm not having much luck finding the individual plugs on Amazon, anyone have any suggested plugs?  (Need some quick)

You seem to be giving some bad advice here. If the power connectors are 2.5mm why suggest that a 2.1mm connector is what is required? Maybe yours did take a 2.1mm, that is no garantee that all will. Much better to have the correct size surely?
Also that cable you are suggesting there is not rated for the sort of current in use here. Ok for LTC only mode but if you are using 2 of these with 30A each going through them that is asking for a problem. A single socket of this type cannot possibly handle 30A.

ok, you're pointing out some good stuff ...

for now I can only say I experienced that my plug is working with 2.1-5.5mm.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5297838

On Diginforce it is writen down as 2.5,as I understand.

thanx for the advice

Also that cable you are suggesting there is not rated for the sort of current in use here. Ok for LTC only mode but if you are using 2 of these with 30A each going through them that is asking for a problem. A single socket of this type cannot possibly handle 30A.

maybe you can give us an advice on what cables to use from the power supply ...

an other questions that some are asking me, is there a way to abuse a ATX power supply for that use?
I'm not having much luck finding the individual plugs on Amazon, anyone have any suggested plugs?  (Need some quick)

What are you missing?

The plugs for the miners?

If yes,

in my opinion something like this should work ...

http://www.cctvcameradvrs.com/accessories/power-supply/1-to-8-power-splitter-adapter-cable-for-cctv-security-dvr-system-camera-8-ch

You seem to be giving some bad advice here. If the power connectors are 2.5mm why suggest that a 2.1mm connector is what is required? Maybe yours did take a 2.1mm, that is no garantee that all will. Much better to have the correct size surely?
<< removed >>
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
I'm not having much luck finding the individual plugs on Amazon, anyone have any suggested plugs?  (Need some quick)
And what about the power supply for wiibox controller? What is recommended?

USB Micro-B-Cable

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002
And what about the power supply for wiibox controller? What is recommended?
Any one worked out some details about the ... wiibox software ... ?

I did a translation of the web interface.

It seems a little empty in the GUI interface of the 2.02 version an overall hashrate and a single per miner hashrate would be a good start ....

gona dig into the software ...
Can you please describe how to connect those cables to an industrial power supply? Which pins should be used: V+, V- only or GND also?

the right 3 cables are for power connection from the wall ...

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002
Can you please describe how to connect those cables to an industrial power supply? Which pins should be used: V+, V- only or GND also?

For example: this should be ok for 2 units:

COTEK 12V 12,5A 150W [GE-150-12]

This cable:
1 x  2,1x5,5mm - 5 x  2,1x5,5 mm

and this one to connect to a power supply, but it has only two wires, so I assume only V+ and V- ?

or maybe this one (with screening):
http://zasilaczeonline.pl/media/products/364a109840a26a4d9db4337c672eed01/images/thumbnail/big_DSCN0042.JPG?updated_at=1383132597
Small question, would it be possible to power one USB miner with 12V and 1A for only scrypt mining?

It can't damage anything right when trying?
I bought a 5.5-2.1mm and it's working ...

http://www.conrad.ch/ce/de/product/512898/Tischnetzteil-Festspannung-VOLTCRAFT-FTPS-12-60W-12-VDC-5000-mA?ref=list

Highlights & Details

StandBy-Verbrauch <0,3 W
Ausgang 12 V/DC / 5000 mA
Leistung max. 60 Watt
DC-Hohlstecker 5,5 x 2,1 mm (Außen-/Innen-Ø)
You say that the power plug is 5.5x2.1 but on the lightningasic website the mass of chinese text against the picture of the power cables ends with the number 2.5mm I would guess this is the power plug size?

Also the cable you show 8 into one does not look suitable, as it would need to carry 30 amps through the single plug to the power supply and I think that is way over the spec for those.

I believe it is the 2.5mm internal diameter. This not as common as the 2.1mm cctv ones. You need to buy what they call as 5.5x2.5mm pigtails.
Your second post still states that the power plug is 2.1mm
Activity: 112
You say that the power plug is 5.5x2.1 but on the lightningasic website the mass of chinese text against the picture of the power cables ends with the number 2.5mm I would guess this is the power plug size?

Also the cable you show 8 into one does not look suitable, as it would need to carry 30 amps through the single plug to the power supply and I think that is way over the spec for those.

I believe it is the 2.5mm internal diameter. This not as common as the 2.1mm cctv ones. You need to buy what they call as 5.5x2.5mm pigtails.
Pages:
Jump to: