Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed 5-Chip USB, Blade & Black Miner Support/Tuning - page 98. (Read 308626 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
I have attached my Gridseed back to the computer where I had the COM: open failed problem.

I still can't figure out exactly what does the magic, but here's exactly what I did:

• My Virtual COM: port was COM11: so I tried again with COM11: => same problem as before
  • Re-mapped COM11: to COM2: using the Device Manager (go to Advanced...)
  • Tried again with COM2: => same problem as before
  • Disconnected the miner, reconnected the miner, waited for about 2 minutes
  • Tried again with COM2: => this time, it worked  Shocked  Huh

So it might be worth trying this, although I'm still not getting it 100%
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Its obviously trying to open comm 2. So you have to make sure comm 2 is working correctly.

While I don't have the solution, I can say from my experience that:

• The drivers where properly installed (as reported in Device Manager)
  • The COM: port in question is correctly detected and listed (Device Manager, again)
  • Zadig is reporting the correct USB driver (usbser.sys, if I recall well)
  • Running the process as Administrator doesn't help
  • Error code 2 *seems* to be 'File Not Found' in the Windows fopen() equivalent (I'm noob to Windows I/O, HAL and stuff)

Sorry, I meant that I think it means that it's failing to open comm 2, not comm 2 is failing.
You have to find out why it's failing. Perhaps M$loth has a tech bulletin on the issue?
"Open COM2 failed, GetLastError:2" Perhaps they have a TB on GetLastError:2 ?
I'm still guessing but it's possible.
Don't worry, I'm a noob on this one too.
My miners are all sitting idle because I can't figure out how to get them mining yet.
Have tried a few things suggested, but no luck yet! Darnit!
But it looks like you're making more headway than I am. Atleast your program is talking back to you Wink
Hello Matt! So, you have your Gridseed 5 chip USB miners, mining? Fantastic!
Please share with us what you did step by step to get your 5 chip miners mining.
What program are you using? Which drivers? What configuration? etc...
I don't care about pictures. All I need is the correct/workable data....

I'm using this driver (provided by ST) and this modified version of cpuminer (provided by LightningAsic)

I ran into the "Open COMxx failed, GetLastError:2" on the first machine. I tried a lot of tweaking and stuff to get past that error, without any success.

I repeated the same drivers & software installation on a 2nd PC (running Windows 8, but I don't think it matters, because a VM on Win7 also works without the error for me), and this time, I didn't have the COM: port problem and it worked fine.

I wish I could figure out what makes it work on one PC and not on the other one, but I haven't found it yet.

Will post updates if I learn more about it.
Thanks!
But the modified cpuminer, the site is all in CHINESE! I can't read that language at all Wink
Wish I could.
Is any of it in english? Is the program in english, at all?
If not, this won't help me or any other English speaker, at all. Bummer! Wink
So close yet so far!
Thanks though. I'd love to try this on my Win7 laptop.
Can you still help me?
Thanks
Wolfey2014
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
I need some help with Gridseed, I'm running cpuminer and when it starts

C:\Users\mining\Desktop\cpuminer\cpuminer-2.3.2-GC3355-win32>minerd  --freq=600
--gc3355=com17 --url=stratum+tcp://litecoinpool.org:3333 --userpass=XXXXXXXX.
XX:X
[2014-02-26 18:15:31] Starting Stratum on stratum+tcp://litecoinpool.org:3333
[2014-02-26 18:15:31] GC3355 chip mining thread started, in SINGLE mode
[2014-02-26 18:15:31] Open com17 failed, GetLastError:2

Any idea on what to do? The virtual com17 say is working properly.

thanks
legendary
Please share with us what you did step by step to get your 5 chip miners mining.

I'm using this driver (provided by ST) and this modified version of cpuminer (provided by LightningAsic)

I ran into the "Open COMxx failed, GetLastError:2" on the first machine. I tried a lot of tweaking and stuff to get past that error, without any success.

I repeated the same drivers & software installation on a 2nd PC (running Windows 8, but I don't think it matters, because a VM on Win7 also works without the error for me), and this time, I didn't have the COM: port problem and it worked fine.

I wish I could figure out what makes it work on one PC and not on the other one, but I haven't found it yet.

Will post updates if I learn more about it.
legendary
Its obviously trying to open comm 2. So you have to make sure comm 2 is working correctly.

While I don't have the solution, I can say from my experience that:

• The drivers where properly installed (as reported in Device Manager)
  • The COM: port in question is correctly detected and listed (Device Manager, again)
  • Zadig is reporting the correct USB driver (usbser.sys, if I recall well)
  • Running the process as Administrator doesn't help
  • Error code 2 *seems* to be 'File Not Found' in the Windows fopen() equivalent (I'm noob to Windows I/O, HAL and stuff)
When I try to run a single 5 chip unit via USB to my PC I'm getting an error "Open COM2 failed, GetLastError:2".  Any ideas?  I can see it connect to the pool but no hashing.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to the problem yet, but I had the same problem on one of my PCs, tried another one and it worked fine.

It seems quite common because someone else PM'd me for support with the same problem too

I have the hardware side all taken care of and they are all fired up and ready to be driven to mine mine mine! Cheesy AAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH MINE YOU LITTLE MINERS! MINE FOR ME!!!!!!
crazywolf Wink
When I try to run a single 5 chip unit via USB to my PC I'm getting an error "Open COM2 failed, GetLastError:2".  Any ideas?  I can see it connect to the pool but no hashing.

I am also offering a .025btc reward bounty for the first person to post a rpi image to get these mining.

What program are you running? cgminer?
It is obviously trying to open comm port 2 and failing.
Look in your device manager to see what port is actually being used by the miner.
Correct that and it should connect Wink. I'm guessing but I think this is right.

Wow! You've gotten a lot further than I have.
Please tell me/us what you did step by step to get your miner to communicate and function via your PC.
I have loaded all the drivers necessary and it is seen in comm ports when plugged in.
I have 5 GC3355 hashers but am only trying it with one right now. I figure once I get one going, the rest will be easy to get going.
Mine are all powered up and ready to mine, if I could only get the comm's and software end figured out.
I'd probably be mining.

Oh, and did you try modifying your config file? I've seen other questions like yours and the pro's say, delete the conf file or edit it with correct perameters or delete x from the conf file.
Perhaps trying other comm ports until you hit the right one will work.
Check your device manager and see what ports your program/miner is using.

Hope we can help each other.
I have the guy who sold me my miners figuring this all out tonight, hopefully.
So I will be mining soon!
Cheers
Wolfey2014
legendary

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to the problem yet, but I had the same problem on one of my PCs, tried another one and it worked fine.

It seems quite common because someone else PM'd me for support with the same problem too
Activity: 756
Merit: 500

I am also offering a .025btc reward bounty for the first person to post a rpi image to get these mining.
The Wii controller box is a TPlink tl-wr703n correct? Is it possible to buy this device and upload the gridseed firmware so it will work like the Wiibox that gridseed is providing?

I was just wondering about that myself. I presume those zip files you have at the start of the thread will download into it?

After a look at the zips in question I dont think there is any Linux included there so they are not just an image of the controller  Sad

Reading other topics i found out that the tp-link router gridseed is using has the openwrt software installed. I guess that you can install the openwrt software and then the images provided here? Is there someone that tried this? I have no clue if this will be working. Is there maybe someone with the wiibox that can try to create a backup of the firmware that the device is running?

I keep reading about this wiibox - wut is it? is it the gaming box?
Anyway, how does it work with the GC3355s? if, they do?
I'm trying to use my PC via USB to mine with my new GC3355s but not much support out here for this stuff yet....we need a setup and configure and mine - type manual!
Activity: 602
Merit: 251
The Wii controller box is a TPlink tl-wr703n correct? Is it possible to buy this device and upload the gridseed firmware so it will work like the Wiibox that gridseed is providing?

I was just wondering about that myself. I presume those zip files you have at the start of the thread will download into it?

After a look at the zips in question I dont think there is any Linux included there so they are not just an image of the controller  Sad

Reading other topics i found out that the tp-link router gridseed is using has the openwrt software installed. I guess that you can install the openwrt software and then the images provided here? Is there someone that tried this? I have no clue if this will be working. Is there maybe someone with the wiibox that can try to create a backup of the firmware that the device is running?
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
One more questoin for individual power supplies. Is 5a a maximum, minimum, or both? If I use a 12V 6A power supply is that going to overload it?
You are better off with a 6A supply as that leaves a little bit of breathing space and means the supply is not running at maximum load.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
One more questoin for individual power supplies. Is 5a a maximum, minimum, or both? If I use a 12V 6A power supply is that going to overload it?
Activity: 108
Merit: 10

After a look at the zips in question I dont think there is any Linux included there so they are not just an image of the controller  Sad
Activity: 602
Merit: 251
Get and use this one, only. Not the 20A. Not powerful enough.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30A-360W-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-for-LED-Strip-Light-Display-110V-220V-/360806570959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401bf5bcf#ht_4404wt_1312

I would not use the splitter type plugs. The primary plug won't be able to handle the max current that the miners can pull as a set. Use single wires/connectors, all connected separately to the psu terminals.
And, make sure you use a 3 prong grounded 120VAC plug to ground the chassis of the psu. Do not use a 2 wire because if the unit goes bad and or shorts out internally or gets spiked, there will be no path to ground and your rigs will probably all get fried! Make sure you use a good surge suppressor like one from Belkin that comes with insurance if/when your stuff gets fried by lightening etc.

Good luck!
Wolfey2014

PS... can you recommend anyone who can help me configure the software mining program to get my GC3355 miners - mining? Know anyone who has a set up and running who set them up them self?
I am sorry I am of little help here, I have units on order but have never had any in hand before so I am pretty new to these devices. Also I was reading on the forum that someone used a PC PSU and patched 2.5 plugs to molex ends and powered their devices with a PSU. I am curious as to how feasible this is as I have a couple of PSU's lying around all over 600Watts in rating.

Yep, as long as they auto detect the loads and fire up, you're good to go with them.
One of them is almost enough to power 20 miners but I'd keep it down to 12 or 15 units just so your power supply has a bit of overhead where max load is concerned.
Good luck!
Wolfey2014
Activity: 518
I am a meat Popsicle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30A-360W-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-for-LED-Strip-Light-Display-110V-220V-/360806570959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401bf5bcf#ht_4404wt_1312

I would not use the splitter type plugs. The primary plug won't be able to handle the max current that the miners can pull as a set. Use single wires/connectors, all connected separately to the psu terminals.
And, make sure you use a 3 prong grounded 120VAC plug to ground the chassis of the psu. Do not use a 2 wire because if the unit goes bad and or shorts out internally or gets spiked, there will be no path to ground and your rigs will probably all get fried! Make sure you use a good surge suppressor like one from Belkin that comes with insurance if/when your stuff gets fried by lightening etc.

Good luck!
Wolfey2014

PS... can you recommend anyone who can help me configure the software mining program to get my GC3355 miners - mining? Know anyone who has a set up and running who set them up them self?
I am sorry I am of little help here, I have units on order but have never had any in hand before so I am pretty new to these devices. Also I was reading on the forum that someone used a PC PSU and patched 2.5 plugs to molex ends and powered their devices with a PSU. I am curious as to how feasible this is as I have a couple of PSU's lying around all over 600Watts in rating.

Good luck!
Wolfey2014

Pages:
Jump to: