Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc. - page 13. (Read 48553 times)

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
All these people posting in this thread who acted on fear of a fork by converting to USD are down quite a lot of money today. 

This whole thread made the issue appear overly complicated.  Keeping your Bitcoins in cold storage -- paper or hardware wallet -- was all you had to be sure to do.  BTC should be stored that way regardless.

Well reading that thread a lot of people, even with 300 activity, don't understand the first thing about BTC. For them, a "wallet" is already mysterious.
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
All these people posting in this thread who acted on fear of a fork by converting to USD are down quite a lot of money today.  

This whole thread made the issue appear overly complicated.  Keeping your Bitcoins in cold storage -- paper or hardware wallet -- was all you had to be sure to do.  BTC should be stored that way regardless.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
Now that BIP 91 has almost locked in, once it activates, it will hopefully make BIP 148 a non-event. However there is risk that enforcement does not happen for BIP 91 and BIP 148 may still happen. Even if BIP 91 is enforced, there may be many smaller forks since not 100% of the hash power is signaling BIP 91 and thus may end up mining BIP 91 invalid blocks. These invalid blocks could be briefly extended upon by spy mining and by other non-BIP 91 miners thus resulting in a fork. Such forks would likely be reorged out but they may happen multiple times, so we would end up with several mini-forks that go away.

Thx you update us all on the latent risks, even if their entry prob is mostly neglectible(now).

I'd expected this from UASF fan-boys since it is fully up to their duties to take care and responsibilities, or are they fine with a split by any means?
KNK
Activity: 692
Merit: 502
There are orphan blocks all the time and this will be no different - nothing to worry about
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
Now that BIP 91 has almost locked in, once it activates, it will hopefully make BIP 148 a non-event. However there is risk that enforcement does not happen for BIP 91 and BIP 148 may still happen. Even if BIP 91 is enforced, there may be many smaller forks since not 100% of the hash power is signaling BIP 91 and thus may end up mining BIP 91 invalid blocks. These invalid blocks could be briefly extended upon by spy mining and by other non-BIP 91 miners thus resulting in a fork. Such forks would likely be reorged out but they may happen multiple times, so we would end up with several mini-forks that go away.
KNK
It's 15/15 now, so we can start counting!

EDIT: With 4 quick blocks from AntPool we are 1 block closer
KNK
40 out of 56 blocks and everythings cool.
it is almost guaranteed.
29 of 44 now - it is not guaranteed till it happens (and the price drop shows the fear  Grin )

The missing block is:
476729   0x20000000   Kano CKPool

The luck may play a bad role here, but such massive support in such a short time is remarkable even for a dictatorial regime  Shocked ... when miners are united against a common enemy (the fork) ...

EDIT: Oh and SegWit2x/NYA support is already at 98%, so that's another almost
Activity: 2100
Merit: 418
40 out of 56 blocks and everythings cool.
it is almost guaranteed.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
This should be one heck of a fireworks show come Aug. 1st...

Come to Switzerland. This is the Swiss Nation day and fireworks a lot anyway.

Cheesy
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
This should be one heck of a fireworks show come Aug. 1st...
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
so at some point the split will cause no transactions or tiny amounts of transactions being processed. so what happens with bitcoins value if it becomes untouchable for extensive period of time?
Activity: 643
Merit: 501
Crypto Mentat
Here is my query:
I have stored my coins over Electrum desktop wallet and noted down seed and private key on paper.
on 1st Aug. bitcoin get split ( 2 or 3 ), then there will be separate guideline to get all split currency or what will be steps.

Thanks

Specifically for Electrum there's a guide

How to split your coins using Electrum in case of a BU Hard Fork

or you can simply import your privkeys to the clients of the splitcoins, eg Bitcoincash, which declared to fork anyway.
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
Here is my query:
I have stored my coins over Electrum desktop wallet and noted down seed and private key on paper.
on 1st Aug. bitcoin get split ( 2 or 3 ), then there will be separate guideline to get all split currency or what will be steps.

Thanks
fly or die
When will you people stop posting lies and being information terrorists, frightening the masses?

There will only be one bitcoin.
Forks are for eating. Not for scaring people.

If someone makes a new digital currency, nobody gives a flying fuck.
Bitpay, coin desk, coinbase, purse, and major players like overstock who accept bitcoin are NOT going to magically have the ability or care about some new fake ass currency by Kanye West, or whatever jerk thinks they can compete with Bitcoin.

Your bitcoin is safe, your bitcoin will always be bitcoin even if someone invents a new crypto currency based off the bitcoin blockchain.
You're bitcoin is not stolen.  lol  How dumb are people?

In fact everyone will suddenly have double the coin!
Whatever amount of BTC you have, you will also have of a new coin!  Hopefully it is worth more than nothing, so you profit.
But Bitcoin is still valued as bitcoin, and bitcoin is the only widely accepted, established digital currency you can shop on Amazon, and even buy a lamborghini.

So stop scaring people.
One of the posts that makes sense around here. The rest are just scary Grin
Totally agree with your opinion, a lot of confusing information that blows about HF

Bitcoin is complicated stuff. You don't need to understand everything to use it, but closing ones eyes and repeating that nothing is happening doesn't make it so. Something is happening. It may all be fine, it may all go to shit, you must be prepared.
fly or die
Just unbelievable :

Guys, and keep the coins on the site: blockchain.info is it safe?

I do not understand where to download the other wallets and how to transfer the coins ((

So you've got more than 350 posts on this forum but have never visited bitcoin.org : https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Or the noob sections here ?
Crypto Mentat
There will be no fork ?
Price is rising like anything

will be a Fork, but no Split - no reasons to worry (almost  Wink

mostly all will be happy but i am little bit unhappy because i sold 20 btc at 1910 and now price is rising too much i am in point of nowhere what to do

You learnt why you shouldn't sell your coins in any occasion. That was a 600$*20 lesson for you. Now get your coins back because the moon is near. You are better off buying back from 2500$ instead of 10k$. Smiley

I did the same mistake in the past.

Never, ever, never ever sell any bitcoins in any situation.

Remember bitcoin got killed 23436464 times in the past and this was the 23436465th time.  Cool

Yes, if you're not a trader just hodl
And by the way, there is always an airdrop for the Bitcoin holders around the corner  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
There will be no fork ?

will be a Fork, but no Split - no reasons to worry (almost  Wink

mostly all will be happy but i am little bit unhappy because i sold 20 btc at 1910 and now price is rising too much i am in point of nowhere what to do

You learnt why you shouldn't sell your coins in any occasion. That was a 600$*20 lesson for you. Now get your coins back because the moon is near. You are better off buying back from 2500$ instead of 10k$. Smiley

I did the same mistake in the past.

Never, ever, never ever sell any bitcoins in any situation.

Remember bitcoin got killed 23436464 times in the past and this was the 23436465th time.  Cool
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
There will be no fork ?

will be a Fork, but no Split - no reasons to worry (almost  Wink

Crypto Mentat
There will be no fork ?

will be a Fork, but no Split - no reasons to worry (almost  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: