Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc. - page 8. (Read 48553 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

Neither of wallets keep your coins. They keep the pair of private - public keys. All you need to get bcc and btc after 1 st Aug is to import your private key into relevant wallet. One of them will be solely for btc the other one for bcc

I got some PM asking to give more details on this. So, actually u are keeping btc not in the wallet but on the address. Keep your btc  on any address u control with the private key.  As an option u may go to https://www.bitaddress.org/   generate a pair of private-public (the last of the pair is  your address)  key   (write it down and keep in the safe place) and send your btc to the address (public key) u generated. Then, when needed,  you may import the private key in any wallet u choose. After Aug 1st when the  all settle down you may import the private key relevant to your address to the wallet that synchronises with btc chain (to get control of your btc) and at same time  to another wallet that synchronises with bcc chain (to get control of your bcc)

Thanks for that info. I have a bitaddress generated paper wallet with private and public keys. I have just withdrawn my BTC from the exchange to the paper wallet and it's pending confirmations. So, if I am understanding this correctly, you can spend your BTC on both the chains simultaneously after the split, right? Kind of like double spending, one on each chain?
Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

Neither of wallets keep your coins. They keep the pair of private - public keys. All you need to get bcc and btc after 1 st Aug is to import your private key into relevant wallet. One of them will be solely for btc the other one for bcc

I got some PM asking to give more details on this. So, actually u are keeping btc not in the wallet but on the address. Keep your btc  on any address u control with the private key.  As an option u may go to https://www.bitaddress.org/   generate a pair of private-public (the last of the pair is  your address)  key   (write it down and keep in the safe place) and send your btc to the address (public key) u generated. Then, when needed,  you may import the private key in any wallet u choose. After Aug 1st when the  all settle down you may import the private key relevant to your address to the wallet that synchronises with btc chain (to get control of your btc) and at same time  to another wallet that synchronises with bcc chain (to get control of your bcc)
Activity: 35
Hello bitcoinworld.

Currently I have my coins on an exchange. With August 1 fast approaching I need to move my coins offline. I am currently considering moving them to my paper wallet which I have sweeped on blockchain.info.
Do you guys think this would be safe? Will I get to spend both the coins in case of chain split? I was also thinking of moving them to bitcoin core wallet but the syncing is taking too long. Hardware wallet is not an option as I don't get it where I live and getting it shipped will take some time.
Please advise as to what option is the best for me.
Thanks.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 635
Thanks, this is agreat info at the moment! I think we have nothing change on date 1/8. It good for member!

but bitcoin cash will be going to copy the blockchain
i am not getting where to keep btc to get bcc and btc both after 1st aug

Activity: 126
Merit: 10
Thanks, this is agreat info at the moment! I think we have nothing change on date 1/8. It good for member!

but bitcoin cash will be going to copy the blockchain
i am not getting where to keep btc to get bcc and btc both after 1st aug
Activity: 812
Merit: 256
Activity: 85
Anyone have any input on whether or not it's a good idea to consolidate inputs in a particular wallet prior to Aug 1st?  For example let's say I have 100 inputs of .001 BTC at a particular address to give me .1 BTC total.  Should I try to consolidate my inputs to take advantage of the low fees per Byte for transactions on the network, or just leave it be?   

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
i was having conversation with green address they also said that they also dont support bitcoin cash

So which wallet support bitcoin cash that is the question now

I think it will be the  dedicated wallet/s. Some of them are listed on BitcoinCash official site.
You are wrong. First of all, Bitcoin doesn't have official website. If you are talking about Bitcoin.org - if wallet listed here, it doesn't means that it will support BitcoinCash. For example, Coinbase listed here, but they stated that they wont support BitcoinCash. Same case with GreenAddress and more other wallets.

He talked about the BitcoinCASH official website, not bitcoin.org.
i was having conversation with green address they also said that they also dont support bitcoin cash

I think it will be the  dedicated wallet/s. Some of them are listed on BitcoinCash official site.
You are wrong. First of all, Bitcoin doesn't have official website. If you are talking about Bitcoin.org - if wallet listed here, it doesn't means that it will support BitcoinCash. For example, Coinbase listed here, but they stated that they wont support BitcoinCash. Same case with GreenAddress and more other wallets.

So now where to keep BTC who supports BCC and will convert into BTC and BCC after 1st aug
Activity: 112
Thank you for all the excellent guidelines..
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!

Activity: 854
Merit: 307
And do I understand this well : Electrum is not going to support BCC ? And what is the consequence?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-cash-huobi-and-electrum-signal-their-position-on-new-fork
Activity: 854
Merit: 307
I have a few questions I don't see definitive answers to in this thread or anywhere else

If you have your BTC in a wallet you hold the keys for will you definitely receive BCC as well?

HOW will you receive the BCC (Bitcoin Cash)?

Are there any desktop wallets (like jaxx or exodus) that you will automatically receive BCC?

I basically have the same question :

The coins are in the electrum wallet, the private keys are stored on external not connected media, so what 's next?
Activity: 39
I have a few questions I don't see definitive answers to in this thread or anywhere else

If you have your BTC in a wallet you hold the keys for will you definitely receive BCC as well?

HOW will you receive the BCC (Bitcoin Cash)?

Are there any desktop wallets (like jaxx or exodus) that you will automatically receive BCC?
Activity: 31
The risk begins after BIP 91 activates.

Hey, can i ask you one more question? Is the risk just about trading with people you don't know or overall sending transactions/receiving them?
I want to transfer my bitcoins from electrum cold storage to trezor, but not sure whether it's safe to do it now or is the risk we are talking about involving even the transactions i do to myself (from one of my wallets to another of my wallets).
Activity: 94
I have coins in an older version of multibit.  When I export the private keys, it saves them and I can view them in a text editing software.  Am I going to be safe for whatever happens on August first?  Let's say my wallet doesn't work after August first, will I just be able to enter the private key into Electrum and still have my bitcoins?  Thanks.
Activity: 1484
Merit: 595
If i transfer my bitcoin to a paper wallet created by bitaddress.org, I should be good correct?

I send the btc to blockchain.info and instantly get it out of there on a paper wallet.

I do not trust blockchain.info to store for longer than a few seconds its just very convenient to use for the paper wallet.

I have transferred all my btc to 2 paper wallets. I created the paper wallet by bitaddress.org

But at first I made tests in two different ways.
1. with password
2. without password

I tried to sweep it through copay as a test, when I created the BIP38 Encrypted paper wallet.
But copay did not supported BIP38 Encrypted paper wallet, some error was popping up.
And then I tried to import at blockchain.info, it was fine.

I don't know what will happen after August 1.
But I hope Theymos will update this thread with further instructions.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
If I use electrum wallet, how do I claim my altcoin?

what altcoins? there are different ones. usually when they do an airdrop (giveaway) they require you to sign a message from your keys. go to your address tab (press Ctrl+A to see it if you don't) and right click on any address you have a balance in and click sign a message. the rest is clear.

for the particular altcoin called BCC (bitcoin cash) things get a bit complicated. depending on what they will do for replay protection there are multiple ways to protect the BCC tokens and receive them as fast as possible to sell while it is worth something.
the good news is you don't need to sign message, your will have the same amount there too. but the bad news is if you don't use the replay protection stuff you will lose that airdrop https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/56867/bitcoin-cash-replay-protection/56874
the best thing is to wait until then to see even if it happens or not. then surely there will be a walkthrough to claim them easier for beginners.
Activity: 89
If i transfer my bitcoin to a paper wallet created by bitaddress.org, I should be good correct?

I send the btc to blockchain.info and instantly get it out of there on a paper wallet.

I do not trust blockchain.info to store for longer than a few seconds its just very convenient to use for the paper wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: