Pages:
Author

Topic: Guy loses 240-600 BTC trying to short - page 5. (Read 3697 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
January 02, 2017, 01:02:30 PM
Anyone who can bet $300,000 to $500,000 on a short probably has enough money to cover it.
Its still probably a big loss, but I'm assuming this person probably has made millions off Bitcoin already.

Personally I would never take a short against Bitcoin right now. Things have so crazy lately. The price seems to be going up with no signs of stopping.
(Although a slight drop in price could be just as likely, I guess.)
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
January 02, 2017, 12:57:24 PM
Why would anyone want to short when it is obvious that it is going to up from the beginning of the year? Roll Eyes
That is a no brainer because that's what it does every year then it goes down in February or mid-month here after.
Come on now, some people especially when trading volume so high should use their brains. Roll Eyes

Shorters will never learn... they are money addicts, pretty much just like gamblers, they can never stop and always want more. So they make money on the way up by buying cheaper, and instead of enjoying it, they automatically start getting into shorter mentality and expect a correction, and this correction not always happens. Bitcoin is going higher and all the 1000 dollar shorters are becoming broke right now.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
January 02, 2017, 12:53:06 PM
Maybe He will die soon because there was not anything to cover back 600btc.
He must sell his cars or house to recover his bitcoins lost. Let's pray for him.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
January 02, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
Why would anyone want to short when it is obvious that it is going to up from the beginning of the year? Roll Eyes
That is a no brainer because that's what it does every year then it goes down in February or mid-month here after.
Come on now, some people especially when trading volume so high should use their brains. Roll Eyes
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
January 02, 2017, 12:26:50 PM
he isn't someone that fud around after shorting, is he?
that's the thing about trying to be a smart ass when they can't handle when to short and when to buy. I'm not that good at it wither but i'm buying whenever the price goes down.

For the bitcoin, it is better not to short.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
January 02, 2017, 12:17:07 PM
What does 'shorting' mean?

An action of selling  or trading shares with an expectation of the price will go down over time and can rebuy at a lower price to gain profit.

Code:
A short, or short position, is a directional trading or investment strategy where the investor sells shares of
 borrowed stock in the open market. The expectation of the investor is that the price of the stock will decrease
 over time.

Read more: Short (or Short Position) Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/short.asp#ixzz4UcU6i1bq

What I find interesting is that some people refer to shorting to not only selling and expecting to buy back cheaper, but doing so with leverage. As in shorting implies leverage (which means they are losing more money than the difference between the selling point and the new higher price after selling). You can end up in debt even.

I think most people reefer to that when they talk about shorting, which is why it's so dangerous, you can go bankrupt if you screw it up. A lot of people were aiming to short the market at 1k expecting a drop and now they are losing their shit, look at the graph.. it's 1030 already and climbing.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1054
January 02, 2017, 11:55:47 AM
he isn't someone that fud around after shorting, is he?
that's the thing about trying to be a smart ass when they can't handle when to short and when to buy. I'm not that good at it wither but i'm buying whenever the price goes down.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1153
January 02, 2017, 11:49:57 AM

An action of selling  or trading shares with an expectation of the price will go down over time and can rebuy at a lower price to gain profit.

Code:
A short, or short position, is a directional trading or investment strategy where the investor sells shares of
 borrowed stock in the open market. The expectation of the investor is that the price of the stock will decrease
 over time.

Read more: Short (or Short Position) Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/short.asp#ixzz4UcU6i1bq
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
January 02, 2017, 11:32:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
January 02, 2017, 11:30:35 AM
https://twitter.com/whalecalls/status/815598251319640064

Okcoin $BTCUSD Quarterly futures has liquidated a short position of 47857 contract at 1,065.58 - 2017-01-02 00:38:56

I tried to warm my friends on IRC about the dangers of shorting, but they wouldn't listen.. they think they can time the market, when this is impossible, you can only look forward to trying to predict the fundamentals, and the fundamentals are clearly telling us to buy and hold long term. People that bought every dip instead of trying to be the smartass that tries to short has made massive gains this year.
Pages:
Jump to: