Pages:
Author

Topic: (hacked) S7LN Group Buy - page 2. (Read 15117 times)

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
July 16, 2016, 12:47:38 PM
I don't know how to interpret that question. All my "work on the S7" is the same as my work on the S7LN, which is all already laid out in the S7 hacking thread in Hardware.
Activity: 338
Merit: 250
July 16, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
Looking forward to reading on your work on the S7.  What is the the default hot/cold voltage settings on the S7?
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
July 16, 2016, 04:12:52 AM
Sidehack, Im tempted but just cant afford the electricity for a second "big" miner (my electricity cost is 0.13gbp kwh). My one is running beautifully though, amazingly quiet. Thanks again.

On a different note, ive se the fans to 15% to raise the temp uptp 60c-ish and the fan speed is still reading 1680 for both fans (same as the 20% setting), I assume this is the lowest they will go to?
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
July 16, 2016, 01:49:02 AM
I've got one on my shelf (ordered an extra) that's probably decent enough to sell. I forget the numbers exactly; it wasn't super so about 450W at 2TH. If someone wants me to work one up, you can always just have it shipped here and I'll make it as stably efficient as possible for a given hashrate and reship for a nominal fee.

I'm going to work on a couple of proper 3-board S7 machines in the next couple days, probably optimized for 600MHz or so and have them for sale - 4TH at between 900 and 1000W is what I'm shooting for if anyone's interested. I might shoot for 550MHz and get 3.7TH around 800W.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
July 15, 2016, 08:19:40 PM
@sidehack

Any thoughts on another round?

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
July 15, 2016, 09:47:07 AM
Yea I'm thinking they really suck for accuracy lol. It's reads fairly stable but doesn't matter. I'm just really pleased she's so damn quiet. It's a hard thing to judge when reading comments as everyone's tolerance is different.

So at 60c she will definitely be in the "hot" range for the voltage?

Yes, that would be hot range.

If you haven't already set the fans to manual, I would recommend setting them to 15%.  This should raise your temps a bit and make your hackedLN even quieter ( I think the PSU fan is louder than the miner fans at 15%).  Also may slightly lower your power consumption.  

I just dropped mine to 18% really quiet.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
July 15, 2016, 09:27:32 AM
Yea I'm thinking they really suck for accuracy lol. It's reads fairly stable but doesn't matter. I'm just really pleased she's so damn quiet. It's a hard thing to judge when reading comments as everyone's tolerance is different.

Yes, that would be hot range.

If you haven't already set the fans to manual, I would recommend setting them to 15%.  This should raise your temps a bit and make your hackedLN even quieter ( I think the PSU fan is louder than the miner fans at 15%).  Also may slightly lower your power consumption.  
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
July 14, 2016, 10:30:40 AM
Yeah, I'll soon have my one mining  Smiley
I paid the VAT 24% and it's on the way to the west coast.
I'll measure the consumption with my clamp meter and test cable -setup soon as I have my hands on it.
legendary
July 14, 2016, 10:14:09 AM

60c is conservative for the board temps.

many  s-7's got into the mid 60's even low 70's and ran fine for more then 8 or 9 months. when they were not down volted

but I rather give 60c since it is conservative.

July 14, 2016, 04:05:13 AM

legendary
July 14, 2016, 03:13:57 AM
Well I've left her running overnight and the temps haven't changed still 45-46c. Is this within the "hot" range or should I lower the fans a bit and raise the temp?

The only reason I'm asking is that she's pulling 473w @ the wall so about 430w for the unit at 2.02Th.

And I must say she's fooking quiet  Shocked I mean I had three rboxes in the same location and they were quieter than two S3's and could happily live with those but this is AMAZING. Sounds like the traffic noise outside but alot lower in pitch.

My little mining hobby.-

That s-7 has traveled quite a bit China > Missouri > New Jersey > New York > UK

60c is safe so you could drop fans from 20 to 18%

I got 442 watts at the kwatt meter  you are getting 473watts

so if both meters suck for accuracy real watts could be in the middle.

HagssFin's also did 442 on my meter  so lets see what he gets on his in finland. He should have his soon.

@ fin your unit cleared customs in finland
July 14, 2016, 01:26:43 AM
Well I've left her running overnight and the temps haven't changed still 45-46c. Is this within the "hot" range or should I lower the fans a bit and raise the temp?

The only reason I'm asking is that she's pulling 473w @ the wall so about 430w for the unit at 2.02Th.

And I must say she's fooking quiet  Shocked I mean I had three rboxes in the same location and they were quieter than two S3's and could happily live with those but this is AMAZING. Sounds like the traffic noise outside but alot lower in pitch.

My little mining hobby.-

legendary
July 13, 2016, 04:28:23 PM
So a little update. Finished work early and went to the courier depot to pick up the s7. Had to pay customs charges (£47, £14 was just from the courier  Roll Eyes ). If I hadn't have picked it up they would've sent a letter saying I need to pay charges and then it would've been another couple of days before it was delivered.

Anyway, I've unplugged my old rboxes and raspi (which will still run the gekkos) and set up the psu on top.i took the bracket off and turned it around so the exhausts are both pointing the same way (couldn't be bothered to take both fans off, plus it works better for the length of cables I have. That's as far as I've got as I've had to babysit the niece and nephew until later. I will post pictures and power figures later once it's set up.

good it arrived and you set it up.

have fun with your niece and nephew  you are lucky to get them for babysitting.  Many people never get a chance to do that.
July 13, 2016, 11:48:05 AM
So a little update. Finished work early and went to the courier depot to pick up the s7. Had to pay customs charges (£47, £14 was just from the courier  Roll Eyes ). If I hadn't have picked it up they would've sent a letter saying I need to pay charges and then it would've been another couple of days before it was delivered.

Anyway, I've unplugged my old rboxes and raspi (which will still run the gekkos) and set up the psu on top.i took the bracket off and turned it around so the exhausts are both pointing the same way (couldn't be bothered to take both fans off, plus it works better for the length of cables I have. That's as far as I've got as I've had to babysit the niece and nephew until later. I will post pictures and power figures later once it's set up.
July 12, 2016, 10:31:37 AM
Yea so I've read the psus are more efficient on the higher voltage supply. My electricity cost is silly but I'm only doing this as a hobby and not in it to make money as such. Obviously don't want to lose much of course but it's still something to do  Cheesy

legendary
July 12, 2016, 09:53:49 AM
Well to say I'm a little excited is an understatement. Just checked the tracking I for philipma1957 gave me and it's clears customs with an eta of Thursday delivery  Grin

you have 220 voltage correct?

I am curious   to see if your watt usage is 425 or 430 vs the 442 I got with stock psu and 120 volts.

I am using mine as a full time lotto machine

http://solo.ckpool.org/workers/1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53Vbtje

this is a 2.5 cent power setup  so I spend $8.00 usd a month to run it.

Most likely I won't hit a block but you never know.
July 12, 2016, 04:40:48 AM
Well to say I'm a little excited is an understatement. Just checked the tracking I for philipma1957 gave me and it's clears customs with an eta of Thursday delivery  Grin
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
July 11, 2016, 11:14:49 PM
I tested one at 20%  it was very quiet.

I have not heard an S3,  but I concur with @philipma1957. I had my S7-LN running the fans at 20% and it was very quiet, temps were 48/51 rising to 52/55 after running overnight. I sit at my computer maybe 4 feet away and the fan on the Enermax PSU was louder than the S7-LN fans. The only time the S7-LN fans are loud is when the miner reboots/resets, then quiets right down.

Cheers,

- zed
legendary
July 11, 2016, 10:05:59 AM
I tested one at 20%  it was very quiet.

But an S-3 with  a silverstone 141 is a little better.

I have to say this is a nice hack  and will be even better  with a quality plat psu.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
July 11, 2016, 09:01:22 AM
Anyone had an Antminer S3 before and can comment on the noise difference between the two?

Note: it's been about 9 months since I heard an S3 running.

With its fans set to auto; the LN is probably louder than an S3.
However, if you manually set the LN fans to 15% it might be slightly quieter.
As these hackedLN run better hot; you could even swap the fans to make them virtually silent.
Pages:
Jump to: