Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking a BFL Jalapeno to 32GH and beyond....(???) - page 6. (Read 54272 times)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
A satisfied lightfoot client here! submitted for your approval :
exhibit A:Ezminer stats
exhibit B: 4 chip jalapeno 2 installed by lightfoot with 2 heatsinks on some of the power FETs,1 gate driver(copper)
http://http://i.imgur.com/63OYcIu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fYexzqJ.jpg

2 morrow will post bfgminer stats with rma power supply 13v 6a ,going to run my other 4.2gh jalapeno with this !....2nite Smiley
thank's lightfoot u da man Cool
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
On the cooling front, I'm resurrecting an old freon unit I used on an overclocked quad board 10 or so years ago.

Freon? Wow.

I pulled apart an old refridgerator and I mean old, got it regassed and ran the pipes over the cpus and inside the case. First draw back was condensation on the insde of the case walls, solved with case fans turned round to pull air out of the case. Second drawback is power, I couldn't find a smaller compressor / pump that was rated for freon so it cost a small fortune to run.

I have solar heating in my house and wondering if it would be possible to run the "cold" return pipes across the heatsinks give my central heating an extra boost in the winter Wink
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Just as a side note: After perking up the speed of Delarock's single I bought it and now I have a single to do more interesting (read possibly destructive) testing on. I'm in Boston this weekend (if you're local say hi) and will work on a new thread about what we can do with singles over the weekend.

In the meantime it's nice to take Amtrak through Mystic CT in the early morning...
legendary
If you don't want to buy a specialized pre heater, an electric skillet works great. Something that can get up to 400F. Make sure it's not placed directly on it, prop it up on some screws or what ever you deem suitable. It may not be necessary but it has given me nothing but 100% success putting chips on. Good luck bud, and remember the flux.

You want to preheat the board to prevent flexing cracking large temp differences that break things. Warping or breaking your board would probably ruin your day.
I love the skillet bit. What I use is an aoyue 853a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aoyue-853A-Quartz-Preheating-Station-/110803086034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cc60ead2

The reason I use it is more because it heats up the incredible amount of ground plane in these boards. Also activates the flux. With pre-heat, the amount of time on the chips is a lot less. Skillet would be better, 5-10 minutes at 360-370 waiting till the flux just starts to set is it. Then use the air low pressure (just enough to heat under the nozzle) and go 60 seconds.

Don't forget to get the chip right on the balls, I use a 6x loupe to watch as I move it into place.

C
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
how do you preheat the bottom of the board?

If you don't want to buy a specialized pre heater, an electric skillet works great. Something that can get up to 400F. Make sure it's not placed directly on it, prop it up on some screws or what ever you deem suitable. It may not be necessary but it has given me nothing but 100% success putting chips on. Good luck bud, and remember the flux.

You want to preheat the board to prevent flexing cracking large temp differences that break things. Warping or breaking your board would probably ruin your day.

thanks

figured it wasnt rocket science. and low tech is my style when possible.

my jally is a very early one with the "hot mosfets" buts its been running fine flashed to 8.2 ghz with a 120v 20 watt muffin fan on it for 6 months now. it doesnt owe me a thing at this point I guess.  time to add some heatsinks to the mosfets and push it.
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
lightfoot

maybe its in the thread but I missed it.. but..

I get the rework station on low air and a set temp for so long on the top of the chip but what do you use to preheat it? toaster oven ?? Wink

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Have you though of using a Peltier plate?
They are excellent at moving heat and keeping stuff cool.

Junkyard = Car Radiator = Cheap heat exchanger.

Plastic tubing with a reduction fitting all held together by clips and screw on clamps.
Yep. The other thought is to use the existing radiator and just mount it outside in the shade. I might need a larger pump to move the water longer distances, maybe.

Another thought would be to stick an AC unit in the water with it, then pull the heat off that way. Or something even weirder.

C
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
lightfoot

maybe its in the thread but I missed it.. but..

I get the rework station on low air and a set temp for so long on the top of the chip but what do you use to preheat it? toaster oven ?? Wink
donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!

Yep. The other thought is to use the existing radiator and just mount it outside in the shade. I might need a larger pump to move the water longer distances, maybe.

Another thought would be to stick an AC unit in the water with it, then pull the heat off that way. Or something even weirder.

C

AC units can be expensive.  I could see an old window shaker AC unit or a dehumidifier off craigslist working really good for this though.
legendary

Plastic tubing with a reduction fitting all held together by clips and screw on clamps.

C
donator
It's for the children!
From what I've seen and done the mineral has to be moving in order to adequately cool anything serious.  (*Imagine the glass tank in a snowbank, I'll look for pictures)
Which means my proper solution would be to re-rig the water cooling units with bigger pumps and pump water straight from the rain barrel. Which means heat exchanger as that water is of questionable quality. Which means WELDING TIME!

It's never a dull moment at Danger labs.

C

legendary
From what I've seen and done the mineral has to be moving in order to adequately cool anything serious.  (*Imagine the glass tank in a snowbank, I'll look for pictures)
Which means my proper solution would be to re-rig the water cooling units with bigger pumps and pump water straight from the rain barrel. Which means heat exchanger as that water is of questionable quality. Which means WELDING TIME!

It's never a dull moment at Danger labs.

C
donator
It's for the children!
Hm. I wonder if I can immerse it in a tank of mineral oil, then put *that* into a 50 gallon rain barrel. Would the surface area of the glass be enough to allow the heat to radiate into the rain barrel's thermal mass....

That's a project for spring. :-)

C

The above is something to think about. The only other concern with mineral oil is that if any components are cheap rubber it will slowly dissolve them. This was my main fear before I realized all the capacitors seem to be a metal case. It seems like just the USB and power wires might pose to be a problem.

As for circulation and heat dissipation, you literally put the electronics in a tank and have a pump moving the oil through a radiator. It's almost exactly like water cooling but if you have a leak it doesn't fry your shit.  There is like a 0.01% loss of oil if it's mostly contained. ie if it condenses on a hose or wire and drips down = loss. 

All this effort only concerns me with the hashrate changing so quickly. What will it be like in a year? Either way I have enjoyed the hell out of this thread, everything I got to contribute, and of course the various help from community members. Great job everyone who's been here.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Thanks I've sent him a message.

Additional:

On the cooling front, I'm resurrecting an old freon unit I used on an overclocked quad board 10 or so years ago.

+1 if it can be done it should, good luck man and make sure you let us all know how it goes.  The only other option I researched at the beginning was mineral oil but cost out weighed air by a bit.

Hm. I wonder if I can immerse it in a tank of mineral oil, then put *that* into a 50 gallon rain barrel. Would the surface area of the glass be enough to allow the heat to radiate into the rain barrel's thermal mass....

C

That could be good but how warm are your summers?  Our rain barrel turns into bathwater during the summer I don't know how long it would move lots of heat.
legendary

Additional:

+1 if it can be done it should, good luck man and make sure you let us all know how it goes.  The only other option I researched at the beginning was mineral oil but cost out weighed air by a bit.

C

Additional:

legendary

Freon? Wow.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Additional:

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
I have a problem with my unit, I use an AVR ONE ti can't read the device like you can see on the screenshot

This is why literally EVERYONE said "Just get a dragon it's only $50.". I don't know how much other programmers work but that's why you read before you click. This also isn't the correct thread for this, there are a few other flashing threads. Go read through the 40+ pages of info, it's a plethora of knowledge. Also make sure you have the 256kb chip and not the 128kb, this literally makes all the difference.   

I use the device that I have to not buy a dragon just for the jalapeno. Thanks anyway

You too smart .. we too stupid .. they try help you not accept .. idiot.

Sorry maybe I didn't understand but why do you tell me idiot?

I said, I have a AVR ONE in my hand, I didn't buy it to flash the jalapeno but I try to use it to not buy a dragon, what is wrong with that?
Pages:
Jump to: