Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking a BFL Jalapeno to 32GH and beyond....(???) - page 7. (Read 54272 times)

legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
This is about the best thread on the forum, following step by step takes a lot of the fear out of the equation.

I really want to add chips to both my jallies but can't find any. SO anyone have or know where I can find some - looking at four to six chips. Preferably in Europe but at the right price I'll suffer the import tax at this end.

Thanks in advance.

ceecee apparently has chips in europe..
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
This is about the best thread on the forum, following step by step takes a lot of the fear out of the equation.

I really want to add chips to both my jallies but can't find any. SO anyone have or know where I can find some - looking at four to six chips. Preferably in Europe but at the right price I'll suffer the import tax at this end.

Thanks in advance.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
I have a problem with my unit, I use an AVR ONE ti can't read the device like you can see on the screenshot

This is why literally EVERYONE said "Just get a dragon it's only $50.". I don't know how much other programmers work but that's why you read before you click. This also isn't the correct thread for this, there are a few other flashing threads. Go read through the 40+ pages of info, it's a plethora of knowledge. Also make sure you have the 256kb chip and not the 128kb, this literally makes all the difference.   

I use the device that I have to not buy a dragon just for the jalapeno. Thanks anyway
Activity: 1316
Merit: 253
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
I have a problem with my unit, I use an AVR ONE ti can't read the device like you can see on the screenshot

I just flashed my LS with a raspberry PI, if you have one of those to hand.  Wink

I flashed GenTarkin firmware, what firmware are you guys using. I have gained about 1.5G per unit but am still under the 30G spec, would be G8 to get them to 30G they are suppose to have been.  Angry
Activity: 532
Merit: 104

This is why literally EVERYONE said "Just get a dragon it's only $50.". I don't know how much other programmers work but that's why you read before you click. This also isn't the correct thread for this, there are a few other flashing threads. Go read through the 40+ pages of info, it's a plethora of knowledge. Also make sure you have the 256kb chip and not the 128kb, this literally makes all the difference.   

I use the device that I have to not buy a dragon just for the jalapeno. Thanks anyway

You too smart .. we too stupid .. they try help you not accept .. idiot.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

legendary
Youch!
It was made to power 2-3 "normal" jallies. Your machines are just to beastly I guess!

And (no relation to this specific quote) would love to hear more of your work on singles...I have 2 50GH (can't remember what they call them, little sc?) that I'd love to boost.
That's ok. I looked at it, and it's three power cords, each cord going into one of the 12 volt lines on a PCIx connection. The issue is simply that each of my turbo jallies pulls 4 times as much current as a normal one. So instead of feeding 3 jallies, it was feeding 12 of them. :-)

On the positive side, the barrel connectors can handle the current load, so I don't have to replace those. But it is a pretty big bit of power draw.

C
Activity: 151
Merit: 110
PM'd you about this but that cable I had was shipped out last week - should make it there in the next couple of days...hopefully that will help with some power issues Smiley
Thank you for sending it. It's amazing, beautiful,

And almost set my supply on fire. Specifically I plugged it into two 7 chip jallies, and my supply. Ran it for a few hours and checked it. The ATX molex connection was *hot*.

So I pulled one unit off and back onto the hard-wired connections and all is well. Moral seems to be that 7-8 chip units pull an incredible fuck-ton of power, so hard connections are where we need to go.

I'll think about it a bit more over the next few days, but for the smaller jallies it will be perfect. Thank you for sending it to me.

C

Youch!
It was made to power 2-3 "normal" jallies. Your machines are just to beastly I guess!

And (no relation to this specific quote) would love to hear more of your work on singles...I have 2 50GH (can't remember what they call them, little sc?) that I'd love to boost.
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
On a side note, I think I see the issues with the singles; BFL really screwed with the firmware to try and keep them from blowing up. However with the later model heat sinks this is not so much a problem, however you can't just flash them. You need to also add some heat sinks and ensure the airflow is right.

I think I have it down pat here; is anyone interested in the details and such once I get it done? So far I have a 23gh single running at 28+ with no heat problems, but a number of temporary sinks.

yup, I would.

my little single has the aluminum heat sink, no baffle, one 120 side fan plus the 92 on the heat sink.

only 1/2 the long board is populated, the other side is pretty bare. one heatsink on the board aside from the main one for the ASICs.cant remember what its on, Ill have to take it apart again.

runs at 64-68C @ 31 Ghs (its a SC25 with stock firmware, runs at 31 though). running off a seasonic 750 that also runs the PC and the jally hooked to it.
Merit: 500
On a side note, I think I see the issues with the singles; BFL really screwed with the firmware to try and keep them from blowing up. However with the later model heat sinks this is not so much a problem, however you can't just flash them. You need to also add some heat sinks and ensure the airflow is right.

I think I have it down pat here; is anyone interested in the details and such once I get it done? So far I have a 23gh single running at 28+ with no heat problems, but a number of temporary sinks.

C
You reflashed the firmware and added more heat sinks?  So you're not seeing the slowdown you mentioned before when you re-apply power?  That sounds like a strange firmware problem... or are you saying the firmware was to try and keep it running cool?  I was thinking from your description of it slowing down to low teens that there was a bad component on the board, which when hot was sending bad information, which screwed up the firmware.  Do you have any pics of your changes so far?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
I have a LS30 that I flashed and now I'm averaging about 34-35Ghs. It runs anywhere from 68-70C so I am thinking about watercooling it. How easy is it to mount something like you have?
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Carrying over from the other thread.  This looks great. 
I just bought a bunch of gear once I get my BTC amount back up I will get a hold of you and have you upgrade mine.  That's great work.
legendary
Will do. I think I'm going to try a corsair 100i for my third jally when I take it to water cooling. The Sedion is good, but not quite as good as the larger radiator on the h100. And the h100i is supposed to have more surface area, which is *all* that matters here.

C
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

C

Go ! GO ! MOAR yayayayayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Pix of that new cable and sink layout when you can ....

Before BFL or someone hires ya, and has you sign a NDA Smiley
legendary

C
legendary
nice summary, you have inspired me to do a 4 and a 5 chip jally.
or maybe a 3 and a 6 :-)
Go for it! The key *is* heating the bottom of the board up, I have not failed a single unit. The other key is proper placement and fluxing; I spend about 10-15 minutes with a 6x loupe and tweezers getting the chips balanced on the balls from two directions. Makes for a perfect melt with 450c at 60-90 seconds 1/4-1/2 inch above on air speed 2 (really low, more like a ball of hot air than a flow)

I would also say it's better to spread the chips out than pile them on one board. The temps and power issues go up a lot between 4 and 5, and 5-6.

C
legendary
PM'd you about this but that cable I had was shipped out last week - should make it there in the next couple of days...hopefully that will help with some power issues Smiley
Thank you for sending it. It's amazing, beautiful,

And almost set my supply on fire. Specifically I plugged it into two 7 chip jallies, and my supply. Ran it for a few hours and checked it. The ATX molex connection was *hot*.

So I pulled one unit off and back onto the hard-wired connections and all is well. Moral seems to be that 7-8 chip units pull an incredible fuck-ton of power, so hard connections are where we need to go.

I'll think about it a bit more over the next few days, but for the smaller jallies it will be perfect. Thank you for sending it to me.

C
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
nice summary, you have inspired me to do a 4 and a 5 chip jally.
or maybe a 3 and a 6 :-)
Merit: 104
<- Tips Hat. Well done sir!
Pages:
Jump to: