Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not? - page 12. (Read 76590 times)

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Ok, the lightfoot bb code is ready for posting somewhere. Dropbox seems to want email addresses, they suck. The file is 900mb 7zipped, a image file of a 32gb SD card. So get a 32gb or bigger SD card, tell me where to put this file, and people can use it.

C

will the difference in speeds matter on your choice of a SD brand/card for your BBB black mod above?

I plan on getting a MicroSD Sandisk 32gb Class 10 card but they come in 30/48/68 speeds or some such

not a big diff in price so if the higher speed helps a bit will grab such

just figured I'd clarify the microSD speed on a 32gb Sandisk Class 10 before I picked up a couple to play with the BBB code
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1002
Supporting DMD, ERC & PIO
Thank you for the quick informative responses.
Best place to download the 1.06 upgrade?
TY

http://4thamd.com/KnC/
-------------Snip------------------------------

Thank you for the link - Much appreciated!
legendary
Activity: 2450
I just picked up a KNC Neptune set to play with.
The controller board does not have a display for the IP.
Is it a necessary part? If yes, Would you have a replacement I can buy.

Also, Does the GenTarkin upgrade work for Neptunes?

Finally, there is no power cord for the Controller board.
What is the cord I need for that?

Thanks for any advice and help.

No, the display isn't really worth it. Nice to figure out the IP addy but just check your dhcp logs

No, Tarkin fiddled with the Neppies but they went non-profitable too quickly

Normal HDD power cable, 4 pin molex.

Fire up the controller first, upgrade to 1.06 software, then make sure the green light comes on. Then go from there remember to never plug or unplug a cube from the controller with power on.

I never touched any KNC device firmware other than Titan. Never had a neptune or any KNC sha miner =)
Activity: 184
Merit: 103
TY

http://4thamd.com/KnC/

Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter - October Batch
Version 0.90
Version 0.91
Version 0.92
Version 0.93
Version 0.94
Version 0.95
Version 0.96
Version 0.96.1
Version 0.97
Version 0.98
Version 0.98.1
Version 0.99*
Version 0.99-tune*
Version 0.99.1-tune
Version 0.99.2-tune
SD Image File - v0.96.1
Manual Reboot Patch - v0.90-0.92
Enable All Cores At Reboot Patch
Diagnostic Tool 1.0
* Sourced from here
BertMod:
BM v0.1 for KnC v0.93*
BM v0.2 for KnC v0.94*
BM v0.2.1 for KnC v0.94
BM ZPM Fix for KnC v0.96
BM v0.3 for KnC v0.98
BM v0.4 BETA for KnC v0.99*
BM v0.4 for KnC v0.99
* Sourced from here

Jupiter - November Batch
Version v0.99-E
Version v0.99.1-E
Version v0.99.2-E
Diagnostic Tool 1.2-E

Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter - Unified October/November Batches
Version 1.00
Version 1.01
Version 1.01-padrino - Ask padrino
SD Image File - v1.01

Neptune
Version RC6
Version RC8
Version RC9
Version 1.00
Version 1.02
Version 1.05
Version 1.06
Version 1.06s
Version Information / Changelog
SD Image File - vRC6
Neptune Setup Guide
Y Adapter Setup Guide

Titan
Version 1.02
Version 1.03
Version 1.04
Version 1.05
Version 1.10
Version 1.11
Version 1.14
Version 1.14-1
Version 1.15
Version 1.94 Beta
Version 1.95
Version 1.96
Version 1.97
Version 2.00
Version Information / Changelog
SD Image File - v1.01
SD Image File - v1.02
SD Image File - v2.00
Titan Setup Guide
Y Adapter Setup Guide
legendary
TY
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

No, the display isn't really worth it. Nice to figure out the IP addy but just check your dhcp logs

No, Tarkin fiddled with the Neppies but they went non-profitable too quickly

Normal HDD power cable, 4 pin molex.

Fire up the controller first, upgrade to 1.06 software, then make sure the green light comes on. Then go from there remember to never plug or unplug a cube from the controller with power on.
legendary

legendary
Well done! Use care though, the higher the wattage on the iron the more likely you will lift a trace and make a mess. The controller boards are not too thick, but with the actual miners the problem is the ground planes *are* thick and conduct heat away.

If you really want to do this kind of stuff more invest in a pre-heater for the board. With the board warmed up to 120c, using a small iron is possible when de-soldering without damaging the board.

Keep mining :-)
Ok, I read in an earlier post on soldering tips on how to add extra data port connectors to my Jupiter controller board.......

My little 25 watt iron is not even coming close to melting this stuff out of the through holes.

What is this stuff?   LOL

ROHS solder. You will destroy the board if you keep that up. Do you know how to use desoldering braid, check out chip-quik to bring the solder down to a lower melting point for removal.

I ended up using a 35 watt iron and a vacume bulb.

And it worked!! YAY

EDIT: I just watched a video showing chip-quik.......defiantly on my to order next list.

legendary
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050
Ok, the lightfoot bb code is ready for posting somewhere. Dropbox seems to want email addresses, they suck. The file is 900mb 7zipped, a image file of a 32gb SD card. So get a 32gb or bigger SD card, tell me where to put this file, and people can use it.

C

tons of sites do it, try http://www.filedropper.com
legendary

C
legendary
Ok, I read in an earlier post on soldering tips on how to add extra data port connectors to my Jupiter controller board.......

My little 25 watt iron is not even coming close to melting this stuff out of the through holes.

What is this stuff?   LOL

ROHS solder. You will destroy the board if you keep that up. Do you know how to use desoldering braid, check out chip-quik to bring the solder down to a lower melting point for removal.

What is this stuff?   LOL
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
I shut it down and swapped data cables and at first it seemed to be doing like it supposed to but after it ran for a few minutes it started acting up again until it is unresponsive.

So as it heats up it dies.

Edit:

More errors for asic 3:
i2c_smbus_read_word_data failed: addr 0x21
FPGA I2C error: read data 0xFFFFFFFF (expected 0x3C) from reg 113:3

Edit2:

Im suspecting its the #3 port on the controller board with the FPGA error, so I just swapped the #3 asic and data cable to the #4 header on the controller board and letting it run.

Edit3: Its been running fine on the other header so yep its the controller board.  Sad

Need to take it out and see if I can repair it by adding a header to one of the empty spots on the controller board.

Edit4: So it looks like three boards are good to go and one has a bad asic chip or a couple of bad dc/dc converters, not going to worry about that, and a bad port on the controller board and in pretty sure I can fix that.

I'd repaste the unit with gelin extreme thermal past if I was you...just to be safe (and have fun....you can pray a new sha-256 coin will come and save you ..lol)

Also not you can use the LCD port I think on Jupiters? also? I think the LCD port is there even if never used as such?

need clarification on this...so you may have a spare port Smiley

Alright since I have my Jupiter running, not 24/7 just when I tinker with it, what is the best version of firmware to run on it?

I'm running KNC jupiter-1.01 now, or can a KNC one from a newer miner or a newer one that is not from KNC?

I believe the Neptune 1.06 code should be able to run a Jupiter board. Give it a try for experiment's sake.

It worked but the first time you boot it you have to configure everything under the advanced tab because it does not load the factory default, but it remembers after a reboot.

I went back to jupiter-1.01 to troubleshoot my jupiter.
legendary
No, Neppies are only about .6w/gh efficiency, they got caught in the insane difficulty jumps a year or two ago. Titans still seem to be rocking along, but this is partially because it took a few years for someone else to make a scrypt chip that worked.

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000
the grandpa of cryptos
this neptunes dont work good at all now, i hate KnC for this money waste ehhh
I shut it down and swapped data cables and at first it seemed to be doing like it supposed to but after it ran for a few minutes it started acting up again until it is unresponsive.

So as it heats up it dies.

Edit:

More errors for asic 3:
FPGA I2C error: read data 0xFFFFFFFF (expected 0x3C) from reg 113:3

Edit2:

Im suspecting its the #3 port on the controller board with the FPGA error, so I just swapped the #3 asic and data cable to the #4 header on the controller board and letting it run.

Edit3: Its been running fine on the other header so yep its the controller board.  Sad

Need to take it out and see if I can repair it by adding a header to one of the empty spots on the controller board.

Edit4: So it looks like three boards are good to go and one has a bad asic chip or a couple of bad dc/dc converters, not going to worry about that, and a bad port on the controller board and in pretty sure I can fix that.
Pages:
Jump to: