Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not? - page 11. (Read 76590 times)

legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Thank you LongandShort for the litecoin donation, glad the BeagleBone code is working for you!
legendary
It should be in the thread a few posts back. Everything that I figure out I have written in the thread, so the part numbers (Digikey) should be there as well.

Took me forever to find/figure out though.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
woah that's a lot of money

So if you put cube 1 and 2 on a controller, fire it up, the light comes on then off then green on the controller and the display works, right? If so they can probably be fixed.

C

Correct, what do you think might be the issue? I'm willing to give it a shot myself. They aren't doing me any good as paper weights so there's nothing to lose.
buffer chips on the upper left side have probably blown out from plugging it into the 10 pin improperly. Signals can get to the power supplies but not the clocks inside the hashing chips (clock is provided via SPI signals.)

C

Sounds like it makes sense, any idea which precise buffer chip would be a suitable replacement?
legendary

So if you put cube 1 and 2 on a controller, fire it up, the light comes on then off then green on the controller and the display works, right? If so they can probably be fixed.

C

Correct, what do you think might be the issue? I'm willing to give it a shot myself. They aren't doing me any good as paper weights so there's nothing to lose.
buffer chips on the upper left side have probably blown out from plugging it into the 10 pin improperly. Signals can get to the power supplies but not the clocks inside the hashing chips (clock is provided via SPI signals.)

C

C

legendary
Broken cube #1

Fan turns on, recognized when plugged in solo, allowed to adjust settings, but it doesn't hash even when restarted. Power consumption is only 4-8 Watts despite using same power supply as used on two functioning cubes.

Broken cube #2

Is the exact same.

Broken cube #3

Controller never stops flashing white light to head to main screen with hashrate. Logging in to the system the cube is not recognized. Fan works when connected to power.

If you have any tips it'd be appreciated.

Cube #1 and #2 have slight damage on the power uptake where a pcie melted the plastic which might have to do with the wattage issue.

Also if any of these cubes are connected in conjunction with the two functioning cubes none of them are recognized and it doesn't pass the white light flashing phase.

C
Broken cube #1

Fan turns on, recognized when plugged in solo, allowed to adjust settings, but it doesn't hash even when restarted. Power consumption is only 4-8 Watts despite using same power supply as used on two functioning cubes.

Broken cube #2

Is the exact same.

Broken cube #3

Controller never stops flashing white light to head to main screen with hashrate. Logging in to the system the cube is not recognized. Fan works when connected to power.

If you have any tips it'd be appreciated.

Cube #1 and #2 have slight damage on the power uptake where a pcie melted the plastic which might have to do with the wattage issue.

Also if any of these cubes are connected in conjunction with the two functioning cubes none of them are recognized and it doesn't pass the white light flashing phase.
legendary
HI, Ive been following these titan threads for quite a whie now, I have many cubes that I had fixed already with some info from these threads.  Ii just wanted to thank you guys for all your hard work! 

Istvanx
No problem. Feel free to donate to the repair miners cause :-) The goal was to help the small miners keep in the game.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
HI, Ive been following these titan threads for quite a whie now, I have many cubes that I had fixed already with some info from these threads.  Ii just wanted to thank you guys for all your hard work! 

Istvanx
legendary
Read all the posts on this stuff before whacking away with an iron.

In the meantime I wrote up a nice summary for testing controllers with cubes. For reference purposes I'll post it here.

For the cubes, the board is 100% good. However you can blow up the controller by plugging it into a very bad Titan. What I would recommend is this:

1) Unplug everything from the controller. Power it up. Display should come up, 0mh, and the green light should be on. This is the base state.

2) Power down. Plug in one 10 pin cable to a cube but do not plug in the 12v supply to the cube. Make sure the 10 pin cable is squarely on the cube's 10 pin plug (not just on the bottom 5, that blows controllers and cubes), verify this with the top of the cube off with the blue strip on the left.

Plug the other end into the controller. Remember the blue strip is closest to the display (pin 1 indicator). If the cam doesn't go into the controller you have the cable backwards, start over.

Once you're sure everything is plugged in right turn on power to the controller only. Not the cube. See that the white light comes on, off, maybe on again, then off, then green solid with the display cycling IP address and 0mh. If the green light is not solid on the cube is bad, shut down and put it to the side.

Sign in. See you you can see the cube in the general settings display, you should be able to see temps on the cube but not change anything. If so power up the cube and see if you can set frequency. If the green light goes out, cube is bad, go to the next one.

Take it one step at a time.
Ah but you have to have the x11 equip (don't see any A900's) and my Titan's are paid for ..no $$$ out of pocket...just saying how I would do it if I wanted to
mine any coin so to speak...with only pow scrypt as an option ..and again 101.52% with the free pool over just a staight LTC to X11 coin conversion NOT mining
its a wash imho

XD the whole question was whether or not KNC Titans can hash the x11 Algo!

C'mon searing!  Tongue

I guess not  Cry

I'm mining LTC right now, it's really not much profit with my low hashrate of 2 remaining functioning Titan cubes. I'm hoping that ltc might touch $100, then it'll have been worthwhile. lol

I have 3 busted titan cubes that I ought to pry open. I have a heavy duty soldering iron I just need to buy some capacitors.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Is it possible to mine x11 on KNC titans or did that never materialize?
What I'd do is mine LTC (free pool) on www.litecoinpool.org they pay out at 103% ...so you are 3% ahead
then go to www.shapeshift.io at 1.48% conversion rate (last I did so) you can convert it to DASH or
whatever at a REAL mining rate of 101.52%....in that Titans are 'rock stable' on litecoinpool works well for the
pow scrypt coin you want to mine on a whim

and again....at 101.52% return on AFTER the conversion..you got nothing to complain about

Well, if the titans were like gpus their x11 hashrate would be 4x-5x + (been awhile). So for certain (probably most) coins x11 would be much more profitable than simply mining scrypt and converting.

Ah but you have to have the x11 equip (don't see any A900's) and my Titan's are paid for ..no $$$ out of pocket...just saying how I would do it if I wanted to
mine any coin so to speak...with only pow scrypt as an option ..and again 101.52% with the free pool over just a staight LTC to X11 coin conversion NOT mining
its a wash imho
What I'd do is mine LTC (free pool) on www.litecoinpool.org they pay out at 103% ...so you are 3% ahead
then go to www.shapeshift.io at 1.48% conversion rate (last I did so) you can convert it to DASH or
whatever at a REAL mining rate of 101.52%....in that Titans are 'rock stable' on litecoinpool works well for the

and again....at 101.52% return on AFTER the conversion..you got nothing to complain about

Well, if the titans were like gpus their x11 hashrate would be 4x-5x + (been awhile). So for certain (probably most) coins x11 would be much more profitable than simply mining scrypt and converting.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!

I think about doing stuff but about the time I do...the diff drops on LTC pool as everyone goes the multipool

route..and I do the numbers and go MEH...in 3 days LTC diff will drop....yawn...too lazy

easier way to chase 'speculative' other pow alts is just do the above...if you get burnt

the coin you took from above machines on litecoin pool ...apply it back to LTC mining only instead and get full 103% again

going back to pure LTC mining

slick

legendary
No clue, but now that we have a scrypt based bfgminer running on the bbb that you can compile, it might work. Give it a try.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050
Well yes, it did stack zeros at the end so you can do that. Still finding an <32gb micro SD card is getting a bit tough. How's it working for you?

C

Yeah it is getting tough haha. I still have tons of the 8-16gb ones from all these pi. It worked fantastic man. a real turn key operation infact. The bbb is far superior to the pi in terms of speed, you're so right.

I mined for you briefly then had issues with psu cables. I've got some Y cables on order now so i can use some smaller psu with smaller wires here. It just never ends!

Don't wory though mate, ill be mining for you one day. I appreciate the work.
legendary
will the difference in speeds matter on your choice of a SD brand/card for your BBB black mod above?
Naah. The BBB is faster than the Pi anyway, so it's going to be quick no matter what. Also you could flash it to bbb firmware, I haven't tried that yet but my image should fit in the BBB on board memory.

C
legendary
Well yes, it did stack zeros at the end so you can do that. Still finding an <32gb micro SD card is getting a bit tough. How's it working for you?

C
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050
Ok, the lightfoot bb code is ready for posting somewhere. Dropbox seems to want email addresses, they suck. The file is 900mb 7zipped, a image file of a 32gb SD card. So get a 32gb or bigger SD card, tell me where to put this file, and people can use it.

C

will the difference in speeds matter on your choice of a SD brand/card for your BBB black mod above?

I plan on getting a MicroSD Sandisk 32gb Class 10 card but they come in 30/48/68 speeds or some such

not a big diff in price so if the higher speed helps a bit will grab such

just figured I'd clarify the microSD speed on a 32gb Sandisk Class 10 before I picked up a couple to play with the BBB code

No real need to get a bigger sd card like he suggests. Just use what you have and truncate the empty space he has on the .img file before burning it to a sd card.
pm me if you need help with that.
Pages:
Jump to: