Pages:
Author

Topic: [Hands On] Bitmain AntMiner S5+ - Notlist3d - page 7. (Read 14034 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Great guide. It's always nice to see an informative, unbiased guide that gives it to you straight - well done  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
How is  the noise level? Is it comparable to the SP20 or lot more than it?
Comparable to a few S5s, which are comparable to a few SP20s although a much less annoying quality of noise.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
How is  the noise level? Is it comparable to the SP20 or lot more than it?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
Questions and Answers
Q: Do you need to use all 3 PCIe connectors?
A: I would stick with 3 per hashing board.  They make sure in email, and in a paper in box to tell you to use 3 PCIe per hashing board. You might get buy with it but it would void warranty.  I would say depends on gauge wire and quality of psu.  But to make life easy and in warranty stick with 3.

ALL the 3 PCIE connectors are needed to be connected to power supply on each hash board since it is based on serial power solution and there is no DC/DC inside the miner. Including the one PCIE connector on control board, there are 28 connectors in total.
Several PSU will be needed to support the miner, anyone spare PCIE connector from PSU will be connected to control board.
But be sure to power all the other PSU first and power on the last PSU which control board is connected in the end. this is very important!! Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1152746.220
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Nice.  Always love your showcase Red velvet layout.  How are these on heat and do they have the S5 (screaming like a banshee) fans?

The biggest thing I noticed about the heat it seems to do a LOT better job then my regular S5 on heat.   With the metal case and fan's on both sides they seemed a lot better.

I will check it tomorrow and see after a day running if still cool.  But my regular S5 puts out a ton of heat, the plus was much less so far close to install.
Activity: 924
Nice.  Always love your showcase Red velvet layout.  How are these on heat and do they have the S5 (screaming like a banshee) fans?
legendary
*Reserved for future use*
legendary
Questions and Answers
Q: Do you need to use all 3 PCIe connectors?
A: I would stick with 3 per hashing board.  They make sure in email, and in a paper in box to tell you to use 3 PCIe per hashing board. You might get buy with it but it would void warranty.  I would say depends on gauge wire and quality of psu.  But to make life easy and in warranty stick with 3. Bitmain has made sure to tell us only use 3 not 2 with this miner in posts at this point.

Q: What version of cgminer is being used?
A: On my miner which is running the stock firmware that it was shipped out with it shows cgminer 4.8.0 being used.

Q: How many amps do I need to run this machine?
A: Bitmain is very specific on the paper sent with miner you will need 16 amps or bigger to run.   This is where you get into variations of installs as there is a few ways to achieve this.

Q: What about the heat?
A: With the metal case and a push/pull fan setup Bitmain did a very good job on making this miner better then the regular S5 on heat.  It still does have heat with the amount of electricity.  But the metal full case with push/pull compared to plastic S5 sides and no top with just push fan is a noticeable difference.
legendary
Hands On with the AntMiner S5+

0) General information
1) Manufacture Stats
2) The Miner
3) Install
4) Running the miner
5) Conclusion
6) How to purchase

0) General Information
The Bitmain AntMiner S5+ is the small miner that packs a punch.   I will do more of a hands on then a guide with this miner.   The reason behind my thinking is  with it taking 3436 watts to run setup will vary greatly depending on each persons setup.  This miner consists of 3 main modules with 3 blades in each.   The interesting thing about the modules is each appears to be built the same.  They make the main one with a controller screwed on top of the module.  But it appears if they wanted they could put controllers on any of them as they are built the same.

1) Manufacture Stats
Specifications:

1. Hash Rate: 7722 GH/s ±5%
2. Power Consumption: 3436W (at the wall, with AC/DC 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)
3. Power Efficiency: 0.445W/GH (at the wall, with AC/DC 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)
4. Rated Voltage: 12V
5. Chip Process: 28nm
6. Chip quantity per unit: 432x BM1384
7. Dimensions: 275 mm x 372 mm x 155 mm
8. Cooling: 6x 12038 fan
9. Operating Conditions: 0 °C to 40 °C
10. Network Connection: Ethernet

2) The Miner
Below are images to showcase the miner.

3) Install
The install is where it can very greatly for each person.  I personally went with a 240 volt 30 amp connection to a PDU.  From this PDU I used three of the suggested PSU's ( https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201505040743496917U7kGsCm0694 ).  These PSU's made it very easy to install using one per module, they have more then enough PCIe connectors to give 3 per hashing blade.

The install time of the proper electrical cable, breaker, and pdu took some time but was done in a few hours even though a few snags running the wire.  I did this a day before receiving the unit so I had time to troubleshoot if needed.  Luckily no issues and all parts worked great.   

This brings to install time of S5+ and PSU's.  This was done in only a few minutes.  After install I did set a static IP and input my pool's but went very smooth.

Below is some pictures of it installed:

4) Running the miner
Was very easy to set up and get running if you are familiar with the AntMiner GUI.  At this point I do have network settings set up with static, and my pool imputed.  I currently will not be trying to find best setup on under clocking, or overclocking as I did not want to break my warranty.  After it runs out I likely will see if I can under clock with and what results are.

Below shows the miner actually mining:

5) Conclusion
This is likely the last machine to use this generation of chips.   It does it well so far.  It had no problem running at specs provided, and install of unit was very easy with suggested items.   This is not a miner for everyone with amount used, but if you have an area for mining it is a lot of power that takes up little room for it's speed.   I will continue to run it and see what I think, but so far it is very positive.

5) How to purchase
You can go directly to the Bitmain's website: https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002015081407532655504JMKzsM067B  The batch one is currently sold out.  With news of next gen chips it is hard to say if there is going to be another batch.

Please don't bash others, or try to turn into a ROI/other debate.  Yes things such as ROI and other topics have a valid point, but this thread is to show the hardware
Pages:
Jump to: