Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 77. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 239
Merit: 10
January 28, 2018, 08:40:25 AM

I am  fully riser free.. Thanks to my Seller Sidonia on aliababa .

I am running 6 slot and 8 slot boards with zero risers.

Hi!
Do you prefer server PSU for 6-slot riserless? I've ordered M06 (integrated CPU) from Letine but now I am unsure what PSU should I buy for it, cause the M06 have lot's of MOLEX and SATA connectors onboard.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
January 28, 2018, 03:38:29 AM
I lost a rosewill capstone 750 two nights ago, first PSU to go.

It reset the mobo bios, and, strangely, locked up the internet for the entire house until I killed the power strip

MSI motherboard with a Killer Ethernet NIC?
Activity: 378
Merit: 197
January 28, 2018, 12:57:28 AM
I lost a rosewill capstone 750 two nights ago, first PSU to go.

It reset the mobo bios, and, strangely, locked up the internet for the entire house until I killed the power strip
January 28, 2018, 12:55:27 AM
3 1080 ti's 660 sol each equihash nicehash tdp 70% tdp
1 1080 ti hybrid 730 sol equi/nice 70% tdp

Seems low?

That seems ok to me for 70% power limit.  Are they running on stock clocks or have you overclocked the core/memory any?  For reference we usually get about 700 sols at 80% power limit with ~150-175 on the core using EWBF miner for Equihash.

Overclocked +150/+330. using ewbf
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
January 27, 2018, 10:54:20 PM
Well, after numerous days of not being able to get any GPU despite being on every auto-notify list known to man, I was able to procure 2 Asus rog-strix 1080 A8G Gaming cards today from an unexpected source.  The Employee Purchase store of my employer apparently got some of these and also the 1080ti equivalent in today. This also happened earlier in the week but i missed out on it as I wasn't able to get in within the first 5 minutes.  Today i got really lucky as they sent the notice out at like 3pm and most people were already gone for the day i think lol.  Cost was $550, which is probably just above regular retail for these but in this market, I snapped up 2 of them pronto.  Ideally, was looking for more 1070ti's but i think the only real benefit to those is that they are better on ETH, and I've got this rig mining ZCL anyway so shouldn't matter much.  And this will let me finally complete this rig that's been running with only 4 GPUs for 2 weeks lol, so it's all good.

The only slight PITA is that these are 8+6 connectors and I only have single 8-pin PSU cables left. But, I assume 8+6 splitters should be relatively easy to find, so looking for those next.  Or... is this even needed?  meaning, could i just plug by single 8-pin PSU cable into those GPUs and still have it work fine?  I only plan to run these at max 70% anyway, so not real sure if that extra 6-pin is needed or if there is an actual difference power wise in adding a 8+6 adapter when the power is still coming from a single PSU cable.

Those are decent cards  what psu do you have for them.  I may have cables.

I'm running this rig off an EVGA G2 1000w... actually, the exact one that I bought for $100 directly from EVGA a while back per your posting of the deal here (thanks again for that)!

I messaged EVGA support yesterday as I've heard that they sometimes support requests like this. I also checked out a custom cable site recommended on the EVGA message boards, but these would cost a ridiculous $17 each plus an insane $20 for shipping! So, $54 for 2 freaking cables lol... I think not!

Anyway, yeah... Phil if you or others here have any of those PCIe 8 x 8+6 cable from a G2 i would be happy to pay a fair price for them.

I have cable everywhere I will look for 2 of them.  May not find them.  But I will look.

my third rosewill tokamak blew up.

this is more complicated . 

I thought it was rosewill issue
I then thought it was mobo issue
I now think I was a bad power cable.

I am now using a corsair.  I hate to return a third rosewill.

got refunds on the first two.

I swapped mobo .  still had issues

I swapped psu to corsair still had issues
I switch power cords it seems better.

Hey Phil... i just heard back from EVGA and looks like they will send me a couple of those PCIe cables for $6 each, so don't worry about looking for them.  I have to say that I appreciate them not raking their customers over the coals for extra parts. I was expecting at least $10 but $6 is more than fair.

About those Tokamaks Phil... I certainly hope it is not a PSU issue since I have 2 of those in a box waiting to build my 6th and 7th rigs.  Seemed like they were pretty solid but you never know i guess. Does seem like your issue could have been the power cord though...
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 27, 2018, 09:09:31 PM
Well, after numerous days of not being able to get any GPU despite being on every auto-notify list known to man, I was able to procure 2 Asus rog-strix 1080 A8G Gaming cards today from an unexpected source.  The Employee Purchase store of my employer apparently got some of these and also the 1080ti equivalent in today. This also happened earlier in the week but i missed out on it as I wasn't able to get in within the first 5 minutes.  Today i got really lucky as they sent the notice out at like 3pm and most people were already gone for the day i think lol.  Cost was $550, which is probably just above regular retail for these but in this market, I snapped up 2 of them pronto.  Ideally, was looking for more 1070ti's but i think the only real benefit to those is that they are better on ETH, and I've got this rig mining ZCL anyway so shouldn't matter much.  And this will let me finally complete this rig that's been running with only 4 GPUs for 2 weeks lol, so it's all good.

The only slight PITA is that these are 8+6 connectors and I only have single 8-pin PSU cables left. But, I assume 8+6 splitters should be relatively easy to find, so looking for those next.  Or... is this even needed?  meaning, could i just plug by single 8-pin PSU cable into those GPUs and still have it work fine?  I only plan to run these at max 70% anyway, so not real sure if that extra 6-pin is needed or if there is an actual difference power wise in adding a 8+6 adapter when the power is still coming from a single PSU cable.

I'm running this rig off an EVGA G2 1000w... actually, the exact one that I bought for $100 directly from EVGA a while back per your posting of the deal here (thanks again for that)!

I messaged EVGA support yesterday as I've heard that they sometimes support requests like this. I also checked out a custom cable site recommended on the EVGA message boards, but these would cost a ridiculous $17 each plus an insane $20 for shipping! So, $54 for 2 freaking cables lol... I think not!

Anyway, yeah... Phil if you or others here have any of those PCIe 8 x 8+6 cable from a G2 i would be happy to pay a fair price for them.

I have cable everywhere I will look for 2 of them.  May not find them.  But I will look.

my third rosewill tokamak blew up.

this is more complicated . 

I thought it was rosewill issue
I then thought it was mobo issue
I now think I was a bad power cable.

I am now using a corsair.  I hate to return a third rosewill.

got refunds on the first two.

I swapped mobo .  still had issues

I swapped psu to corsair still had issues
I switch power cords it seems better.
January 27, 2018, 07:48:00 PM

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
January 27, 2018, 06:17:03 PM

Seems low?

That seems ok to me for 70% power limit.  Are they running on stock clocks or have you overclocked the core/memory any?  For reference we usually get about 700 sols at 80% power limit with ~150-175 on the core using EWBF miner for Equihash.
legendary
January 27, 2018, 11:18:34 AM

Seems low?

nice hash has a lot of flux.

the numbers don't look bad to me
January 27, 2018, 11:00:20 AM

Seems low?
legendary
January 27, 2018, 08:22:57 AM

--server equihash.usa.nicehash.com --user 16yLHLoeyuCLPMXkVpC3gyrRYvwRGwjKJr.K17six --pass x --port 3357 --pec

--server equihash.usa.nicehash.com --port 3357 --user 1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53Vbtje --pass x

--server equihash.usa.nicehash.com --user 16yLHLoeyuCLPMXkVpC3gyrRYvwRGwjKJr.solar --pass x --port 3357 --pec

--server equihash.usa.nicehash.com --user 16yLHLoeyuCLPMXkVpC3gyrRYvwRGwjKJr.solar --pass x --port 3357 --pec
January 26, 2018, 07:51:18 PM

The only slight PITA is that these are 8+6 connectors and I only have single 8-pin PSU cables left. But, I assume 8+6 splitters should be relatively easy to find, so looking for those next.  Or... is this even needed?  meaning, could i just plug by single 8-pin PSU cable into those GPUs and still have it work fine?  I only plan to run these at max 70% anyway, so not real sure if that extra 6-pin is needed or if there is an actual difference power wise in adding a 8+6 adapter when the power is still coming from a single PSU cable.

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
January 26, 2018, 06:37:22 PM
yeah that makes me nervous too. potentially ~2000 watts if your cards come up at full power due to whatever. are there any published specs on what the upper power limit per card is for this board?

Not many people will run the cards at the full power if there is electricity to pay. I only run them at around 60-70% to get higher efficiency.

programs used to power limit cards sometimes fail for whatever reason. ive woke up to my cards at 100% a couple times.

i still test my rigs at full power for a day just to stress test them and check temps at power outlets, psu connectors etc. that way no worries about the odd crash and reboot causing overheat problems with cards or melting connectors with all cards at 100% for prolonged periods when im not around.

Yep, I do the same thing for the exact same reason.  It's always wise to prepare for the worst so that you don't destroy hardware (or worse) if and when the worst eventually happens. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 26, 2018, 05:10:05 PM
yeah that makes me nervous too. potentially ~2000 watts if your cards come up at full power due to whatever. are there any published specs on what the upper power limit per card is for this board?

Not many people will run the cards at the full power if there is electricity to pay. I only run them at around 60-70% to get higher efficiency.

programs used to power limit cards sometimes fail for whatever reason. ive woke up to my cards at 100% a couple times.

i still test my rigs at full power for a day just to stress test them and check temps at power outlets, psu connectors etc. that way no worries about the odd crash and reboot causing overheat problems with cards or melting connectors with all cards at 100% for prolonged periods when im not around.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
January 26, 2018, 04:46:57 PM
So if you're powering a GTX 1080 Ti that uses 250 watts and power is supplied by 2x 8 pin PCIe power connectors, you'd feed the power to the board on the short side.  That single lead would give the board the bus power it needs and then the power for the cards would route through the board out the long side connector to a double headed PCIe power lead to the top of the GPU?

I can see how cabling and wire management would be neat and clean.  BUT, seems like you'd be pushing a ton of watts through the board as a result.

Activity: 420
Merit: 184
January 26, 2018, 04:36:38 PM
Have you tried re-installing your old AMD drivers?  I mistakenly installed this update on 1 of my rigs last weekend and in the process, it installed newer drivers that were rendering my 470's useless.  Once I rolled back to the old drivers it works fine now. Granted, I wasted half a day re-installing about 4 times because I forgot that you have to run pixel-patcher after installing any recent AMD drivers, but as long as you run DDU in safe mode, then install your go-to drivers, then run PP, it should work.

AMD drivers were 2/3rd the reason I sold my RX cards and flipped to NVIDIA.  I was pretty tired of DDU / Install, pixel patch , restart, cross fingers.

I am beginning to understand this sentiment... I moved some cards around yesterday and ended up putting an RX 570 on a board that previously had a GTX 1080. Before I removed the 1080 I selected "clean and shutdown" in DDU because that seemed like it would save some time with Windows freaking out about the different GPU and resetting the display to 1024 x 768. I was not too pleased when I finally powered up the rig with the new 1080 installed and got a "no bootable media found" error. Ended up having to repartition the hdd, format it and reinstall Windows from scratch because I absolutely could not get the bootrec to rebuild the BCD. Then of course I completely forgot about Pixel Patcher and spent another hour trying wondering why my screen was at the correct resolution of 1280 x 1024 but MSI AB said there was no driver installed and none of my miners would work.

If I had learned something from this experience it wouldn't have been a total waste, but I have no idea why or how DDU managed to delete/corrupt "critical system files" as that was the only explanation I got from searching online for the various errors reported during my unsuccessful attempts to recover the existing installation.

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
January 26, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
thanks guys, giving a try!

Have you tried re-installing your old AMD drivers?  I mistakenly installed this update on 1 of my rigs last weekend and in the process, it installed newer drivers that were rendering my 470's useless.  Once I rolled back to the old drivers it works fine now. Granted, I wasted half a day re-installing about 4 times because I forgot that you have to run pixel-patcher after installing any recent AMD drivers, but as long as you run DDU in safe mode, then install your go-to drivers, then run PP, it should work.

AMD drivers were 2/3rd the reason I sold my RX cards and flipped to NVIDIA.  I was pretty tired of DDU / Install, pixel patch , restart, cross fingers.
Dude SMOS makes all that a thing of the past. I wouldn't dream of getting more nVidia cards with how totally stable SMOS + AMD is.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
January 26, 2018, 03:13:46 PM

January 26, 2018, 02:39:57 PM

legendary
January 26, 2018, 12:50:01 PM
The Onda boards seem fairly cost efficient. Only issue is cooling but if it's in a server rack style with fans it's a non-issue

Onda  are great with EVGA Hybrid and MSI seahawk

my major builds are 1080ti hybrid evga or msi 1080ti seahawk.
Pages:
Jump to: