Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 73. (Read 34166 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 04, 2018, 09:01:47 PM

So I had a little "fun" with the power stuff we've been talking about.. here it is in case anyone is interested!

Hashrates look kinda low compared to my 1080 ti testing on one of my Aorus cards - but other cards DO tend to be lower at the high-end due to cooling limits reducing the boost clock.

50% = 505 sol/s
 60% = 620 sol/s
 70% = 680 sol/s
 80% = 725 sol/s
 90% = 760 sol/s
100% = 780 sol/s

All at +100 core +100 memory, I've done a LITTLE playing around those settings but they are stable and seems to be right about the best hashrate.
The other 1080 ti cards I have (EVGA SC Black, ASUS "blower", Gigabyte 3-fan Windforce) match these numbers pretty much identically up to 80% or so then start dropping off a bit.

No, the PCI-E connectors WILL NOT handle 1000 watts or even close- you're overstressing them at 300 even if they are using 3 pins for +12VDC.
The KNC Neptune and to a lesser degree the Titan were NOTORIOUS for burning connectors a lot because they were trying to push 350 watts (ballpark) through them when overclocked.
You might get away with it for a while, but a lot of folks have BURNED connectors by pushing them too hard.
While the pins have a "free air" rating of 13 amps, they derate to 8 amps in the connector because the connector retains a lot of heat.
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
February 04, 2018, 06:00:54 PM
So here's my thinking: everything is already over engineered, so why not take full advantage of what these things can do? Here's an example that I can give real evidence to. I'm sure a lot of you guys use PCIe power splitters, the Y cables that turn 6 pin to (2) 8 pins, right? So many of them claim to support certain wattages. 6 pins are supposed to deliver 75w max and 8 pins are supposed to do 150w.

I have every single one of my 1080tis plugged in with (1) 6 pin -> (2) 8 pin adapters. That's "300w" (up to) being delivered via a cable that's only supposed to do 75w! That's insane right?! Not at all. Check the "Wire Gauge Selection Table 12 Volt Circuit" https://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/itm/automotive/get_wired.html

Notice how an 18 gauge wire on 12v can supply up to 40a on a 3' run, and these guys are only 6" long with 3 wires carrying the power.

Now, unless I am radically wrong in my misunderstanding of how this works.. by my math that single connector should be able to easily provide up to 1,000w of power before you have to worry about the wires failing. Suddenly, that 300w doesn't look so crazy!

And I'm only using that as an example, I am fairly sure that the components on the TI are able to provide far beyond their normal use specs. Can some of them be created poorly with parts that will fail quickly? Sure. Those are cards that would die eventually anyway.

I've been mining on and off since 2013, I have bought/sold over 200 GPUs in that time, not once have I had one GPU fail from being run at 100% 24/7 (fans excluded).

its not the wire 18 gauge wire  thats the limiting factor, its the connectors. their rating is far lower, they get dirty, lose tension, oxidize. that builds resistance and thats when the problems happen.

I'm sure loose connections can cause issues but its not a normal occurrence.  People have all this outdated copy pasted 75w 6pin, 150w 8pin power rated stuff stuck in their heads and refuse to move forward.  I mean I understand its better to be safe than sorry, but I've been running 200w through 6pins for almost a year without any issues.  Just buy the right parts and not some cheapo china made breakout boards/cables.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
February 04, 2018, 05:28:02 PM
its not the wire 18 gauge wire  thats the limiting factor, its the connectors. their rating is far lower, they get dirty, lose tension, oxidize. that builds resistance and thats when the problems happen.
This is probably true.. however I'm still yet to have one fail. Same goes with my GPUs.

So I had a little "fun" with the power stuff we've been talking about.. here it is in case anyone is interested!

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 04, 2018, 03:00:56 PM
The rude shocker answer:

only the mentally ill mine at max power.

fact not opinion so  to give you an answer  is pointless since only crazy people want to mine at max power.

Now do not feel bad  as I have driven my Fia Forte from Howell NJ to Atlantic City  at 105 miles per hour  when I could safely set the cruise control at 65 miles per hour.

and my answer is yes  I have melted cables at high power settings.

My advice  set to 190-205 watts and no higher
Phil that is just not true. My power cost is ~$0.12 kwh and I have built spreadsheets in the past for every single algo and power %, and no matter what the out is always more money by running at 100% or higher power usage.

I have always said if it works for you do it.

I know maxing cards  does not work for me.

BTW  I was looking to get you to reply to the rude statement  as I don't understand how you don't kill your cards or risers maxed like you run. Grin

If cards are cheap and space is big   but power available is low   you will get more hash  with more cards set to  60-70%

I have space at the array
and we did get a bunch of 1080ti hybrids at a good price.

If I set them to 180-200 watts  rather then 240-250 watts  I can do more hash on the same power.

the array caps at 30kwatts  per hour.  after that  power is no longer free.

We did get good news on the land in south jersey we may get the second array  sooner then we thought.

and it would be 40kwatts

Not bad. 40kw is enough to power about 6.6 rigs in CA in the summer and 3 in the winter.

No I am putting the 24/7 number

The array will be 200kwatt devide by 5 to get 24/7 number.

Of 40kwatt

At soothaa yes I trolled a bit
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 04, 2018, 02:48:57 PM
So here's my thinking: everything is already over engineered, so why not take full advantage of what these things can do? Here's an example that I can give real evidence to. I'm sure a lot of you guys use PCIe power splitters, the Y cables that turn 6 pin to (2) 8 pins, right? So many of them claim to support certain wattages. 6 pins are supposed to deliver 75w max and 8 pins are supposed to do 150w.

I have every single one of my 1080tis plugged in with (1) 6 pin -> (2) 8 pin adapters. That's "300w" (up to) being delivered via a cable that's only supposed to do 75w! That's insane right?! Not at all. Check the "Wire Gauge Selection Table 12 Volt Circuit" https://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/itm/automotive/get_wired.html

Notice how an 18 gauge wire on 12v can supply up to 40a on a 3' run, and these guys are only 6" long with 3 wires carrying the power.

Now, unless I am radically wrong in my misunderstanding of how this works.. by my math that single connector should be able to easily provide up to 1,000w of power before you have to worry about the wires failing. Suddenly, that 300w doesn't look so crazy!

And I'm only using that as an example, I am fairly sure that the components on the TI are able to provide far beyond their normal use specs. Can some of them be created poorly with parts that will fail quickly? Sure. Those are cards that would die eventually anyway.

I've been mining on and off since 2013, I have bought/sold over 200 GPUs in that time, not once have I had one GPU fail from being run at 100% 24/7 (fans excluded).

its not the wire 18 gauge wire  thats the limiting factor, its the connectors. their rating is far lower, they get dirty, lose tension, oxidize. that builds resistance and thats when the problems happen.
February 04, 2018, 02:05:56 PM

I know maxing cards  does not work for me.

BTW  I was looking to get you to reply to the rude statement  as I don't understand how you don't kill your cards or risers maxed like you run. Grin
Phil were you trolling me?? I like it  Cheesy

Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
February 04, 2018, 01:54:01 PM
This is the main rigs shelve. 54 rigs can be placed here. Assume 1.2KW each it will put me below 65KW power. I intend to use no more than 60KW though. 16000cfm air flow. Hot air from rigs directly go to the back of the unit to be exhausted. Absolutely no hot/cold air mixing.
https://ibb.co/hzYAtx

This looks super kool, are those Onda motherboard type 8 GPU cases? Keep posting pictures as it fills up, would love to see progress on it.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
February 04, 2018, 12:17:51 PM
The rude shocker answer:

fact not opinion so  to give you an answer  is pointless since only crazy people want to mine at max power.

Now do not feel bad  as I have driven my Fia Forte from Howell NJ to Atlantic City  at 105 miles per hour  when I could safely set the cruise control at 65 miles per hour.

and my answer is yes  I have melted cables at high power settings.

My advice  set to 190-205 watts and no higher
Phil that is just not true. My power cost is ~$0.12 kwh and I have built spreadsheets in the past for every single algo and power %, and no matter what the out is always more money by running at 100% or higher power usage.

BTW  I was looking to get you to reply to the rude statement  as I don't understand how you don't kill your cards or risers maxed like you run. Grin

If cards are cheap and space is big   but power available is low   you will get more hash  with more cards set to  60-70%

If I set them to 180-200 watts  rather then 240-250 watts  I can do more hash on the same power.

the array caps at 30kwatts  per hour.  after that  power is no longer free.

We did get good news on the land in south jersey we may get the second array  sooner then we thought.

and it would be 40kwatts

Not bad. 40kw is enough to power about 6.6 rigs in CA in the summer and 3 in the winter.
legendary
February 04, 2018, 11:57:50 AM
The rude shocker answer:

fact not opinion so  to give you an answer  is pointless since only crazy people want to mine at max power.

Now do not feel bad  as I have driven my Fia Forte from Howell NJ to Atlantic City  at 105 miles per hour  when I could safely set the cruise control at 65 miles per hour.

If cards are cheap and space is big   but power available is low   you will get more hash  with more cards set to  60-70%

If I set them to 180-200 watts  rather then 240-250 watts  I can do more hash on the same power.

the array caps at 30kwatts  per hour.  after that  power is no longer free.

We did get good news on the land in south jersey we may get the second array  sooner then we thought.

and it would be 40kwatts

February 04, 2018, 11:33:44 AM
It's true that 100% power provides more profit in the short term, but it's better to look long term. Less stress on components = less part replacements and it's really important for anyone running at some scale. It's not wise to crank up the power and hire extra people to fix stuff.

Large scale operations also have power limitations and 500 cards at 200w is better than 400 cards at 250w. For the casual miner sure, anything goes.
I'm about to touch 100 GPUs and some been running for a year now.. no replacements no problems.

However, lowering power to get more cards is an interesting idea..
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
February 04, 2018, 11:32:16 AM
The rude shocker answer:

fact not opinion so  to give you an answer  is pointless since only crazy people want to mine at max power.

Now do not feel bad  as I have driven my Fia Forte from Howell NJ to Atlantic City  at 105 miles per hour  when I could safely set the cruise control at 65 miles per hour.

and my answer is yes  I have melted cables at high power settings.

My advice  set to 190-205 watts and no higher

It's true that 100% power provides more profit in the short term, but it's better to look long term. Less stress on components = less part replacements and it's really important for anyone running at some scale. It's not wise to crank up the power and hire extra people to fix stuff.

Large scale operations also have power limitations and 500 cards at 200w is better than 400 cards at 250w. For the casual miner sure, anything goes.

I personally run my 1080tis at 70% PL. During periods of high profitability it's raised to 77%.
February 04, 2018, 11:27:13 AM
The rude shocker answer:

Activity: 610
Merit: 265
February 04, 2018, 11:25:58 AM
Farm update. Been busy setting up my 2nd shoplot unit. This one originally supports 40A 3 phase but I had the electrician change all the wires to the source and it can do 100A 3 phase 240v, allowing a theoretical 72KW draw.

This is the main rigs shelve. 54 rigs can be placed here. Assume 1.2KW each it will put me below 65KW power. I intend to use no more than 60KW though. 16000cfm air flow. Hot air from rigs directly go to the back of the unit to be exhausted. Absolutely no hot/cold air mixing.
https://ibb.co/hzYAtx

Power will be provided by 18x 32A circuits. I host for family and friends, originally had about 150x 1070ti coming but they all got cancelled. This unit is gonna be empty for a while lol.

In the meantime, a petabyte HDD rig is being setup using the threadripper platform.
https://ibb.co/g91DDx
legendary
February 04, 2018, 11:17:12 AM
Hi, setting up my first rig and have a few questions.

Has anybody successfully disabled the led on a gigabyte aorus 1080Ti in ubuntu 16.04?
Tried Nvidia driver 384.111 and 390.25
I found these commands but neither work.

Code:
nvidia-settings -a GPULogoBrightness=0
nvidia-settings --assign GPULogoBrightness=0
output:
** (nvidia-settings:6232): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

and

Code:
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPULogoBrightness=0
output:
** (nvidia-settings:6236): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

Attribute 'GPULogoBrightness' (Z270a:0[gpu:0]) assigned value 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it ok to use one pcie cable (it has two 6+2 connectors) to connect the power?
The gpu has needs two 8 pin connections. The card is a 1080Ti using 250w.

On some forums people have had the cable melt and recommend using two separate cables for each 8 pin power connection.
My seasonic psu only came with three pcie cables. So if the above is true, I have to keep one card offline until I can get another cable
Have you guys had any problems with the cable melting on 1080Ti's at max power?

The rude shocker answer:

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
February 04, 2018, 02:46:24 AM
Hi, setting up my first rig and have a few questions.

Has anybody successfully disabled the led on a gigabyte aorus 1080Ti in ubuntu 16.04?
Tried Nvidia driver 384.111 and 390.25
I found these commands but neither work.

Code:
nvidia-settings -a GPULogoBrightness=0
nvidia-settings --assign GPULogoBrightness=0
output:
** (nvidia-settings:6232): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

and

Code:
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPULogoBrightness=0
output:
** (nvidia-settings:6236): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

Attribute 'GPULogoBrightness' (Z270a:0[gpu:0]) assigned value 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it ok to use one pcie cable (it has two 6+2 connectors) to connect the power?
The gpu has needs two 8 pin connections. The card is a 1080Ti using 250w.

On some forums people have had the cable melt and recommend using two separate cables for each 8 pin power connection.
My seasonic psu only came with three pcie cables. So if the above is true, I have to keep one card offline until I can get another cable
Have you guys had any problems with the cable melting on 1080Ti's at max power?
Activity: 378
Merit: 197
February 03, 2018, 09:58:40 PM
So none of your hack dollars have been paid....

Interesting

I clicked the button yesterday to accept my 10%, but I did not check to see if I got anything, and right now, with no password reset email, I can't logon

My worst fault is procrastination, I had .1126 in BTC when they were hacked, so I am expecting .01126

The two withdrawal emails today were for .029 and .017, totaling .046xxx, much more than i would have in there as I NOW empty Nicehash daily, or every other day at most.

I have all computers shut now, have Malware bytes everything (only found the nicehash false alarms), and am doing the Windows update one by one.  Since I work off of a 3g wireless modem, it takes hours for 1 machine.

Until I figure this out, I guess everything, including the Avalons, stay off.  (can't mine when Windows updates eat the bandwidth anyway).
legendary
February 03, 2018, 09:32:09 PM
Even more interesting, I have received two withdrawal emails that total far more than my balance, unless they are accessing my pre-December hack balance.

This should be an interesting conversation if Nicehash answers

well I have no  payment on my 3 accounts  from yesterday

here is my thread

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.29557191

all three say  I am pending  these were all non nicehash accounts
February 03, 2018, 09:26:40 PM
Even more interesting, I have received two withdrawal emails that total far more than my balance, unless they are accessing my pre-December hack balance.

This should be an interesting conversation if Nicehash answers
February 03, 2018, 07:32:03 PM
I got an email from Nicehash 4 hours ago stating that my account initiated a withdrawal.

I did not do it.

I did the Nicehash email password reset 4 hours ago, and have not received anything yet.

I also sent an email to support, but only a few min ago.

Has anyone done a Nicehash email password reset request?  If so, how long to get a response?
Activity: 501
Merit: 500
February 03, 2018, 04:59:15 PM
Question to the SMos users: how do you set back up pools ?

I run to nicehash.  They have 99% up time.

I do have other pools set but I would need to set manually.

I do have a warning from nicehash if they go down.  They had 10-15 minutes down time since they re opened.

I don't sweat 15 minutes a month.

Coins dropped to 7600 usd today on coinbase. I almost decided to buy 1.

Thx, seems like a good plan.
But always good to have a back up!
Pages:
Jump to: