Pages:
Author

Topic: Have we left "Bitcoin Discussion" board for spammers, forever?? - page 3. (Read 3025 times)

legendary
Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551
dogs are cute.
We haven't lost bitcoin discussion, not yet.

I see a lot of good posters(my chipmixer alts obviously, no one else) and franky1, anonymint posting there.

I would love posting there, but here's the thing, I don't want to fuck my brain up. We could have some strict moderation there, but that's not gonna happen. So cool...just let spammers shit post, let the good posters leave one by one...and yeah..wait for satoshi to hit the nuke button that destroys the stupid thing that's called bitcoin, and let the true bitcoin aka Bitcoin cash take the lead,rename the forum to rogerverisgreatsatoshisucks.org ..

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036
^^
You're right about that Welsh. That was an oversight, if that feature were implemented, I would think the first report would be marked as good , and the other 2 may remain as unhandled. This would eliminate false positives for a "good" report.

In the end people shouldn't acre to much about the difference between a good/unhandled report. Apart from the potential badges that may come, reporting should always be seen as a service to the community.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
I can't say for sure but as long as the report was filed with enough information, worst case scenario it would go down as unhandled if it were a duplicate. I'm sure someone can shed some light on that. I do agree this feature would be nice as it would trim the log that Mods need to look through.

This did make me wonder though if say a post or thread had been reported 3 times and when the first one is handled do the other 2 reports stay in the log? Seeing as the posts are linked, I would think this could be a small tweak that might reduce the reports Mods need to look through.
Generally, duplicate reports aren't too bad to deal with. Sometimes when reporting a topic which needs to be moved to a different section is can take a bit more time, but with reporting spam it doesn't really matter. When the spam post is deleted all the reports are automatically dealt with, and marked as good.

As for your last point. I don't think that's what happens. I can't test it right now, and my memory fails me. But, if this did happen we might be rewarding a good report when in fact it was wrong. Two of them might of reported the topic to be moved, and be correct, But, the other one could be saying something like "Vulgar language" or "scam" which would be wrong.
legendary
I would suggest to continue to report posts after the above mentioned 'big lock' in the locked topics too, because this is the only way how we can make spammers lose activity and post count, which means they lose money and hopefully they will stop (except if they are a bots...)

Not a bad idea, should something like "The Big Lock" happen. Although with the Merit system in place the loss of posts counting towards activity would have a minimal effect. With posts that are more than a week old, unfortunately they will have already been paid. The benefit of something like that is anyone who went back to read those topics might have a nice clean read, they would probably also go from 20 pages to 2.

I obviously agree with Welsh's point that we need more people reporting spammers, but I don't think we should need to report entire topics. *Snip*

There should be a dedicated mod or two that can monitor these threads and lock them when they've run their course.

I agree that we shouldn't need to, but the writing is literally on the wall....well board. There are tons of topics and threads that just continue to grow in length while at the same time declining in quality.

What I recently learned about the report log is that it's not only the local board Mod who can act on some reports. So if say in this instance hilariousandco is unable to keep up with this board and the numerous others they are moderator for. My now reported topics can be locked by whoever gets to it first.

I like the idea of a couple dedicated Mods for this.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18706
Personally there I have shifted from reporting single posts, and am more reporting topics for "lock". Unless I come across a post while the topic is still having a legitimate conversation that is.

I obviously agree with Welsh's point that we need more people reporting spammers, but I don't think we should need to report entire topics. In Technical Discussion, Technical Support or even Meta, the vast majority of threads are less than 3-4 pages. Do we really need reports to say that a 60 page thread entitled "most bitcoin holders now is frustrated!" needs locked?

There should be a dedicated mod or two that can monitor these threads and lock them when they've run their course.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
As for regaining "Bitcoin Discussion", If Theymos does ad a new Mod, there should a fresh start. All current topics could be locked, and then we begin fresh. Anyone who thinks their thread has legitimate value or conversation taking place,  could request it be reopened. Then at least moving forward you are not starting with a daunting cesspool to clean up, you have a clean slate to maintain.
I would suggest to continue to report posts after the above mentioned 'big lock' in the locked topics too, because this is the only way how we can make spammers lose activity and post count, which means they lose money and hopefully they will stop (except if they are a bots...)
legendary
^^

I can't say for sure but as long as the report was filed with enough information, worst case scenario it would go down as unhandled if it were a duplicate. I'm sure someone can shed some light on that. I do agree this feature would be nice as it would trim the log that Mods need to look through.

This did make me wonder though if say a post or thread had been reported 3 times and when the first one is handled do the other 2 reports stay in the log? Seeing as the posts are linked, I would think this could be a small tweak that might reduce the reports Mods need to look through.

As for regaining "Bitcoin Discussion", If Theymos does ad a new Mod, there should a fresh start. All current topics could be locked, and then we begin fresh. Anyone who thinks their thread has legitimate value or conversation taking place,  could request it be reopened. Then at least moving forward you are not starting with a daunting cesspool to clean up, you have a clean slate to maintain.

Personally there I have shifted from reporting single posts, and am more reporting topics for "lock". Unless I come across a post while the topic is still having a legitimate conversation that is.
Vires in Numeris
My time is valuable - especially my free time, which is when I am a able to browse Bitcointalk. I refuse to waste hours of that time searching through pages and pages of spam for the one or two comments that include an original or well-articulated though. As I mentioned before, finding threads early can sometimes lead to a good discussion over a couple of posts, but as soon as the spammers take over, I usually give up and remove the topic from my watchlist.
Unfortunately, its not going to get better without people reporting it. It doesn't mean that we are relying on you to report alone. More people in general need to be reporting. I'm a patroller, and I don't seem to get that many reports in the Bitcoin Discussion section. Maybe, there's not that many newbie spammers there, but I would think they are a big portion of it.
Unfortunately, reporting is not developed enough yet to be efficient.
It lacks one little but really important feature:
To check if a post has already been reported and it's waiting for the mods to decide.
If the forum could get this feature, we ( Smiley ) could check much more posts, because there would be no parallel work for the reporters.
There's no need to report a post 2-3-5-10 times by different members, because a decent mod can act based on the post itself, even if the reportes is not describing the problem properly...
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
My time is valuable - especially my free time, which is when I am a able to browse Bitcointalk. I refuse to waste hours of that time searching through pages and pages of spam for the one or two comments that include an original or well-articulated though. As I mentioned before, finding threads early can sometimes lead to a good discussion over a couple of posts, but as soon as the spammers take over, I usually give up and remove the topic from my watchlist.
Unfortunately, its not going to get better without people reporting it. It doesn't mean that we are relying on you to report alone. More people in general need to be reporting. I'm a patroller, and I don't seem to get that many reports in the Bitcoin Discussion section. Maybe, there's not that many newbie spammers there, but I would think they are a big portion of it.
Vires in Numeris
How many of you have actually tried posting meaning content in these sections even after shitposting became widespread and/or the thread becomes a SMT? Or would you not participate there to talk to others even if a genuine discussion starts?

This is the same for me... New topics contains valuable information on the first page but after there's no use to read all the oneliner comments, there's nothing they add, they just fill the empty space on the page...
My watchlist is also shrinking day by day...
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18706
How many of you have actually tried posting meaning content in these sections even after shitposting became widespread and/or the thread becomes a SMT? Or would you not participate there to talk to others even if a genuine discussion starts?

Activity: 1035
Merit: 200
P.S. My opinion is that it is necessary to introduce the KYC, with the provision of documents and selfi with a passport.
Once this is done, immediately 20% less will become accounts, trust me.

Not a good idea. It would take forever for that to get implemented considering no one would agree for it.

A little tip for you: Putting a P.S at the end of every post doesn't really make it constructive. People only do that when it is needed, but your post history tells that you have made that to be your signature note. Concentrate on the quality of what you write, without adding anything extra to make it look better. And, you are clearly here for bounty hunting, which I could see in your post history, so maybe you should avoid trying to be concerned about the forum.

When will they learn to respect the readers of these threads.

When fire would no longer be hot, and ice would burn you if you touch it.
They don't even respect the place that fills their pockets. They eat and shit in the same plate, kind of.

I'm regularly visiting the board only to see if there is something that I can read, and all I get is disappointment. I think yesterday, I saw a thread started by JC, discussing about the effects of different things on the price of Bitcoin in coming time, and I really enjoyed reading some of the posts in that thread, although I couldn't post anything there for not being so knowledgeable about some of the terms used in there. But what I saw that could have been better was that there were spammers involved in that discussion, and I just thought that maybe if the thread was self-moderated, we would not have to see those replies.

Does this mean that you consider each newbie to have low posting quality/spammer? better replace newbies with "spammers" (so the discussions are not spoiled by the spammers)

I never said that every newbie is a spammer, although I say this every time that the amount of spam we see comes mostly from lower ranked accounts, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any constructive or good posters in those ranks, but it is very rare to find them now a days.
Activity: 78
Merit: 17
Does this mean that you consider each newbie to have low posting quality/spammer? better replace newbies with "spammers" (so the discussions are not spoiled by the spammers)
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150
₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(
I've just visited the board, and I found a thread by a Hero that looked as if it might have had some potential, but the juniors have started to reply to it. What a shame it wasn't posted in serious discussion.

I was going to award another post with some merit, but the guy had made a full quote of a previous post for his reply, and he could have snipped out the relevant bit, so I didn't give him any merit. When will they learn to respect the readers of these threads.

This is why I prefer to start self-moderated threads, so the discussions are not spoiled by the newbies.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1253
So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)
Depends on the context really, and how much effort is put into the post. There's too many variables to paint everyone with the same brush, and it would need to be taken as a case by case basis. Duplicate questions aren't too bad, and some times invites healthy discussion.

I have tried my best to often start healthy discussions. Interested people can take a look at the posts that I often make in Bitcoin Discussion and Trading Discussion. I try to foster in a sense of goodwill among the people about crypto and make sure to give them advice on trading as well.

I pick up points that need to be discussed and talked about like we would have in case we were sitting in a park talking about investment ideas and methods but as well all knows shitposters tend to clog this area of the forum.For this reason I probably post only once or twice in a thread and by the time I return to the forum the following day the thread has already become a cesspool of garbage.  

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I've just visited the board, and I found a thread by a Hero that looked as if it might have had some potential, but the juniors have started to reply to it. What a shame it wasn't posted in serious discussion.

I was going to award another post with some merit, but the guy had made a full quote of a previous post for his reply, and he could have snipped out the relevant bit, so I didn't give him any merit. When will they learn to respect the readers of these threads.
Activity: 448
Merit: 232
It really breaks my heart when I visit 'Bitcoin Discussion' board and see the amount of spam there.

I'm disappointed with the amount of spam on the forum. Participants forget about the purpose for which this site was created and mercilessly use it in their own self-serving petty goals. I've only been at the forum for a year, but I remember that there weren`t so many talentless posts before. And 'Bitcoin Discussion' was one of the most interesting branches, which was written by those who are really enjoy crypto-currencies and strive to understand their essence.

The forum is named "Bitcointalk" which technically means "Talking about Bitcoin" or something like that. And the place to do that (Bitcoin Discussion board) is covered totally with useless discussions that we don't even want to see. I know that we can't just get them out of there, but at least we can discuss our own things, separately, in that board. That is what Moderated Threads are all about.

Despite the fact that there isn`t less spam in 'Altcoin Discussion' and 'Economy', the most insulting is what 'Bitcoin Discussion' turned into. I click on this section, read the names of the topics and I feel sad. Despite this, I sometimes try to write something what I consider to be useful there, because I don`t want to give up and remain the main topic of Bitcointalk forum to the torment of spammers. I understand that many feel the same as I do. And many people no longer see the point in fighting with so much spam in 'Bitcoin Discussion' thread. But we need to remember that for the sake of these discussions the forum was created. And a conscious community must protect it.

If we create a separate topic in which only constructive and useful posts can be written, that will be moderate properly, then yes, we`ll protect ourselves from spam and it`ll be more pleasant for us to communicate with, those who share our attitude to qualified comments. However, this doesn`t eradicate the real problem, and 'Bitcoin Discussion' will be completely absorbed by the spammers. I believe that our task is to try to restore the high level of 'Bitcoin Discussion'. This isn`t easy, I know, and this requires the efforts of many responsible users, but we must stand up for a goal of creating our community. Many of us are indebted to Bitcointalk. It gathered real crypto-enthusiasts, who are ready to share their knowledge and thoughts with each other. And our duty is not allow to destroy this forum, not let it become a platform for easy money, for useless and insulting "work."

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1007
Degen in the Space
Add altcoin discussion.

Now, they're both a spamming thread. While vising those threads, you can see a lot of Jr. Members and newbie accounts. Obviously, some of them are just alternative accounts to abuse the bounty campaigns.

P.S. My opinion is that it is necessary to introduce the KYC, with the provision of documents and selfi with a passport.
Not sure if you're really serious here. Do you really think it is necessary to introduce KYC here, in this forum, to reduce the amount of accounts spamming threads? Oh boy, oh boy, this, in my belief will never happen and will not solve much. Don't get me wrong. I feel you and I understand that you are trying come up with something to help the forum but this is just impossible.
I'll just add quote about KYC on Bitcointalk :
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/forum-account-needs-to-be-kyc-3097811 :
I'll get right on that, just as soon as hell freezes over.

Introduce KYC, what a terrible idea.

That said, I do miss bitcoin discussion and the speculation sections.  Both are now pretty useless for information or meaningful discussion. 

You should also ask satoshi and theymos to do the KYC before us to do the same.  Cheesy
Some of us working here anonymously and it's a good system to protect the identities of individuals. If you really wanted to implement KYC here, highers should do it first.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1755
Not sure if you're really serious here. Do you really think it is necessary to introduce KYC here, in this forum, to reduce the amount of accounts spamming threads? Oh boy, oh boy, this, in my belief will never happen and will not solve much. Don't get me wrong. I feel you and I understand that you are trying come up with something to help the forum but this is just impossible.

Introduce KYC, what a terrible idea.

That said, I do miss bitcoin discussion and the speculation sections.  Both are now pretty useless for information or meaningful discussion. 
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1363
Slava Ukraini!
Pages:
Jump to: