Pages:
Author

Topic: Havelock Investments - Exchange feedback/comments - page 4. (Read 248078 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
Why do some stocks have huge yield (over 500%) while others have the conservative ~4%? Does it factor down to risk vs. payoff?
Mining bonds and the like are expected to yield less and less dividends over time, for example.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259
Why do some stocks have huge yield (over 500%) while others have the conservative ~4%? Does it factor down to risk vs. payoff?

The formula is:

Annual Yield = (Annual Dividends/Share Price)x100

Annual dividends assumes last dividend.

So for a share that pays weekly:

Annual Yield = ((last dividendx52)/Share Price)x100
and most with the high high yield are falling in price.  the lower the price goes, the higher the yield.  Hot Potato  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

The formula is:

Annual Yield = (Annual Dividends/Share Price)x100

Annual dividends assumes last dividend.

So for a share that pays weekly:

Annual Yield = ((last dividendx52)/Share Price)x100
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
The websocket wasn't pushing trades to the orderbooks last night, so I think the site's just down for maintenance.  Emailed support and got a response 10 min later saying they're working on it.

You got a prompt response because you are in a timezone that overlaps when they were working on the problem.   When I ran into the issues, they were probably sleeping.   
Activity: 938
Merit: 502
The websocket wasn't pushing trades to the orderbooks last night, so I think the site's just down for maintenance.  Emailed support and got a response 10 min later saying they're working on it.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
Yes, something's definitely wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1364
Merit: 1000
I have the same problem, cannot connect to the website, always ''CSRF Failure''.
Well now the site seems to have been down for hours.  At least the part that allows you to log in.   A few hours ago I tried to modify my B.Mine sell order but I have no idea what is going on.    Huh

I've tried twitter and the IRC channel ... both without response.   What timezone do they operate in?
Bitgoblin
A good number of potential users on this forum seem to be wary of using the site due to the stability concerns.
Well, I am wary because of the very scammy IPO they posted.
I fail to see how adding more liquidity and closing the atrocious spreads on half these assets is a problem though.
If resources were infinitely fast and free, it wouldn't be a problem.
Since each query comes with a cost, then you should limit the queries.
Again, pretty simple.

There are solutions to the problem that could both increase revenues to the exchange and manage the query problem.  I'm saying that Havelock should take their user data and look into which solution or combination of solutions would be the most beneficial.

For instance, burnside's BTC-TC had a Litecoin equivalent, LTC-Global, that seemed to do pretty well.  Similar to the Havelock exchange fund, HIF, burnside had an exchange asset denominated in LTC.  If doing something like adding BTC-LTC support and LTC-denominated assets would increase exchange revenues (twentyseventy could do nicely to start an LDD) while allowing admins to mitigate the query problems, then it might be a solution worth looking into.

Personally, I like Havelock as an asset exchange platform.  A good number of potential users on this forum seem to be wary of using the site due to the stability concerns.  I'd like to see Havelock continue to develop into a well-known and well-respected exchange, especially as the SEC is expected to rule (i.e. clarify their current policies in line with the passed legislation) on crowdfunded equity within the coming months.
Bitgoblin
I fail to see how adding more liquidity and closing the atrocious spreads on half these assets is a problem though.
If resources were infinitely fast and free, it wouldn't be a problem.
Since each query comes with a cost, then you should limit the queries.
Again, pretty simple.
Or, as we all overlook the obvious...

Havelock admins, you could buy a few more powerful servers to handle the increased workload.
Scaling isn't easy, and this solution doesn't scale well: more powerful servers will offer a better service, which will in turn gather new users, including new bots.
The real solution have to hit the real problem: the real problem is that some users, which happen to be bots, are posting too many orders too fast... so the real solution is to disincentivize to place too many orders too fast. Quite easy, actually.

I fail to see how adding more liquidity and closing the atrocious spreads on half these assets is a problem though.  Granted, if everyone and their brother is just programming scripts to fill the spread that fight one another for endless hours...that's specifically where we're running into problems.  I don't think any of the codes running BB analyses are triggering the DDoS-like meltdowns.  I do think the CloudFlare portal is burnt into my retinas at this point.
Activity: 149
The limit of 600 (or is it 300 now?) per 10 minutes is really not very low. Every action a bot takes using the API is counted for this. So for one order it's possible that there are at least 2-3 API calls involved. imho the site should be able to handle this.
Bitgoblin

Havelock admins, you could buy a few more powerful servers to handle the increased workload.
Scaling isn't easy, and this solution doesn't scale well: more powerful servers will offer a better service, which will in turn gather new users, including new bots.
The real solution have to hit the real problem: the real problem is that some users, which happen to be bots, are posting too many orders too fast... so the real solution is to disincentivize to place too many orders too fast. Quite easy, actually.

Havelock admins, you could buy a few more powerful servers to handle the increased workload.  We're the ones paying the fees, so it can be assumed the revenue is there to do something like this.  This could be very beneficial, especially in ensuring future growth of the exchange.

What is this, Healthcare.gov?  (lol nvm its a Canadian exchange, of course you already have a working healthcare system)
Bitgoblin
Charging for any cancel after 10 cancels in a day would probably fix the issue. Most traders would be fine but bot that are just putting orders in front by a few satoshis would be soon stopped.
That would be fine too, I agree.

I don't think that would fix anything. This will just lead to multiple accounts.
You would have to fund all of them, and forfeit the volume discounts.
And keep an increasily complex accounting, 2FAs, etc.
Activity: 149
Charging for any cancel after 10 cancels in a day would probably fix the issue. Most traders would be fine but bot that are just putting orders in front by a few satoshis would be soon stopped.

I don't think that would fix anything. This will just lead to multiple accounts.
Bitgoblin
Or an API fee.
Nope.
That would be silly.
The point of APIs is to prevent bots from using anyway the services through "workarounds", i.e. lessening the server load.
If you charge for using the API, bots would be rewritten to use the same web interface as the users, increasing much the load on the server.

That's why I suggested asking a fixed fee for any operation, be it user or bot, API or not.

Charging for any cancel after 10 cancels in a day would probably fix the issue.   Most traders would be fine but bot that are just putting orders in front by a few satoshis would be soon stopped.
Pages:
Jump to: