Pages:
Author

Topic: HELP! struggling to make 6 gpu R9 290 rig to run on windows 7 (SOLVED) - page 3. (Read 33642 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Caveat Emptor
Derp  Grin

Absolutely perfect. No modded cgminer, no modded drivers, no modded anything. Fan speed, clock speeds, and temp display works flawless...

Super easy. Install 13.10, "saucy salamander" then install beta 13.11 drivers released 1/8/13. Then, install cgminer 3.7.2 and go to town.

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

That is a clean one right there.

Are those the new risers?

I might have to switch from the classic "flexible" ones if so.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

I am having exact same problem, need Windows 8 maybe? Does it work?

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over

That was posted a long time ago, and you still won't get 6 in wondows.
Derp  Grin

Absolutely perfect. No modded cgminer, no modded drivers, no modded anything. Fan speed, clock speeds, and temp display works flawless...

Super easy. Install 13.10, "saucy salamander" then install beta 13.11 drivers released 1/8/13. Then, install cgminer 3.7.2 and go to town.

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

I am having exact same problem, need Windows 8 maybe? Does it work?

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over
Activity: 59
Guys I messed with this for almost 2 weeks just like all of you. I made all the progress you've all made. I hacked and modified until I couldn't take it anymore. I listed them on EBay and got $480 per card, originally paying $500 per card. A $20 loss not to deal with that shit is totally worth it. I got #5 r9 280x's now and they are all working like a dream at 750kh/sec. The 290(x)s SUCK!

Maybe in six months when AMD gets off their lazy asses and fixes the drivers, then it will be worth another try. Until then forget it... They are garbage.

Activity: 365
Merit: 100
Sudo chmod +x gives the current filename give the current user the permissions to execute the file.
And one more thing, the only way I got my card detected was by installing the AMD Beta driver by just running the installer. When I built the driver just for Xubuntu CGminer seemed to not like it. So I did a fresh install, ran the Catalyst installer, and built the CGminer with the ADL file fixes(or download the one from the site). I started out with a -I of 9, and it started right up.

I have not figured out why CGminer will not pick up the cards when building packages for certain distros of Linux. If anyone has input let us know!

Hmm, that is exactly what I did, and I get the results you describe! Well, mostly. I still have one detecting at least. It did fire right up and I tweaked it up to ~840kh/s using basic 290 settings before I gave up for the night. With more TC tweaking and finding the prime core/mem ratio of my individual cards I think 860-880kh/s should be manageable.

So if I understand correctly, I should just sudo *.run --i, right? Or even just ./*.run?

No sudo *.run --buildpkg /Ubuntu/....?

I think I remember seeing the ATI Linux install gui at some point when I was flogging without knowing what I was doing. I'm thinking just running that .run file will get me back to that CCC install gui, right?

Yes, you would see the Catalyst GUI come up when running the .run file.

Basically,

I unzipped the driver, opened up terminal,  sudo chmod +x *.run, and then sudo ./*.run. The installer pops right up, and you can install it. Since you can detect one card, it seems like your drivers are working.

When uninstalling drivers, I broke everything, and had to do a fresh install. So keep that in mind while working on the drivers. Always check to make sure the hardware actually works so you don't mess up your install just for a bad card.  

When more cards come in this week I will post my results.

I see, I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. I've not had faith in myself being able to remove drivers entirely so I've been reinstalling every time, started a fresh one before I went to sleep last night  Cheesy

sudo chmod +x just sets some file permissions on downloaded files, right?

I'll be sure to post results if I see em!
Activity: 14
And one more thing, the only way I got my card detected was by installing the AMD Beta driver by just running the installer. When I built the driver just for Xubuntu CGminer seemed to not like it. So I did a fresh install, ran the Catalyst installer, and built the CGminer with the ADL file fixes(or download the one from the site). I started out with a -I of 9, and it started right up.

I have not figured out why CGminer will not pick up the cards when building packages for certain distros of Linux. If anyone has input let us know!

Hmm, that is exactly what I did, and I get the results you describe! Well, mostly. I still have one detecting at least. It did fire right up and I tweaked it up to ~840kh/s using basic 290 settings before I gave up for the night. With more TC tweaking and finding the prime core/mem ratio of my individual cards I think 860-880kh/s should be manageable.

So if I understand correctly, I should just sudo *.run --i, right? Or even just ./*.run?

I think I remember seeing the ATI Linux install gui at some point when I was flogging without knowing what I was doing. I'm thinking just running that .run file will get me back to that CCC install gui, right?

Yes, you would see the Catalyst GUI come up when running the .run file.

Basically,

I unzipped the driver, opened up terminal,  sudo chmod +x *.run, and then sudo ./*.run. The installer pops right up, and you can install it. Since you can detect one card, it seems like your drivers are working.

When uninstalling drivers, I broke everything, and had to do a fresh install. So keep that in mind while working on the drivers. Always check to make sure the hardware actually works so you don't mess up your install just for a bad card.   

When more cards come in this week I will post my results.

Okay, after another post by someone else pointing me in the right direction I stumbled across this site: http://www.ohmpie.com/mining-on-an-r9-290-in-linux/

This goes into detail on how to patch the latest linux driver (13.12) and actually has a link to some .deb binaries so you may not even need to patch. If you can get that far...

Then you need to recompile cgminer from source, from the tarball linked on their site. I am gonna give it a go here within the next 24 hours. If you don't think you can do this then I'd forget the r9 290s for now... I am familiar with linux and patching source and compiling in linux. Really from what I've read it shouldn't be too difficult (might eat my words on that). Anyway, I'll let you all know if I can get them up running stable and post you all my history log so you can see how I did it. Figured I'd post what I've figured out so far for those technically inclined to move forward themselves.

thank you. after days of linux bashing i gave up as too stressed on time. running win8 with 5 cards for now. if you can get it working and post the log of step by step inputs that you did i (as well as many others) would really appreciate. good luck/.

Once the driver is corrected, and CGMiner is recompiled the R9 290 runs pretty well. I am going to do some more tweaking, and see if I can run more than one  R9 290 before I say everything is working 100%. Currently running around 870 KHas/sec with current settings.

I've got 6 detecting with aticonfig --lsa, but cgminer says I've got a ADL count mismatch and only one card will mine. I'm using the "pre-re-compiled" cgminer .tar off the ohmpie page.

Arrgh, going to play with those .deb files tomorrow. I've read the ohmpie page and that forum link too many times tonight, it's all running together. Sounds like those might be pre "fixed" drivers for linux noobs like me  Cheesy
Okay, after another post by someone else pointing me in the right direction I stumbled across this site: http://www.ohmpie.com/mining-on-an-r9-290-in-linux/

This goes into detail on how to patch the latest linux driver (13.12) and actually has a link to some .deb binaries so you may not even need to patch. If you can get that far...

Then you need to recompile cgminer from source, from the tarball linked on their site. I am gonna give it a go here within the next 24 hours. If you don't think you can do this then I'd forget the r9 290s for now... I am familiar with linux and patching source and compiling in linux. Really from what I've read it shouldn't be too difficult (might eat my words on that). Anyway, I'll let you all know if I can get them up running stable and post you all my history log so you can see how I did it. Figured I'd post what I've figured out so far for those technically inclined to move forward themselves.

thank you. after days of linux bashing i gave up as too stressed on time. running win8 with 5 cards for now. if you can get it working and post the log of step by step inputs that you did i (as well as many others) would really appreciate. good luck/.

Once the driver is corrected, and CGMiner is recompiled the R9 290 runs pretty well. I am going to do some more tweaking, and see if I can run more than one  R9 290 before I say everything is working 100%. Currently running around 870 KHas/sec with current settings.
Activity: 252
to be honest im hashing fine at 4.1Mh with 5 cards currently in win8. too bad i got nowhere sticking that idle card somewhere else as only spare hardware i have is old motherboards that dont have win7 support.

What are you hiding over in the corner?

Also do you want to sell that extra card or I can sell you a cheap ass mobo/processor/ram combo for $50, that would run that card and win7.
legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
to be honest im hashing fine at 4.1Mh with 5 cards currently in win8. too bad i got nowhere sticking that idle card somewhere else as only spare hardware i have is old motherboards that dont have win7 support.

current heating room:
I just spent all day on this. The drivers are broken. There is just nothing I can do at this point. I went as far as to implement fixes and then recompile the drivers as well as cgminer... It just won't work with more than one card. Sorry boys these things are not ready for real mining yet. Glad I didn't cancel my Ebay auctions.

On the other hand... R9 280x work absolutely fantastic with only a small loss of hashing power, a large loss of noise, and $100 less. Highly recommend those.
legendary

Okay yeah, r9 290s are definitely screwed up. Drivers won't work at all with Linux and spotty with Windows at best. I am done trying to get this card to work. Time to sell them.
legendary
i just took the female part of the riser and cut off the plastic limiter with dremel tool. do it carefully as you can damage actual pins.
Pages:
Jump to: