Pages:
Author

Topic: HELP! struggling to make 6 gpu R9 290 rig to run on windows 7 (SOLVED) - page 4. (Read 33642 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
wait a minute I am confused, I thought that you need 1x 16x Risers if your GPU has a 16x Slot? How can you use 1x to 1x? The slots are totally different?

Confusion!!!!   Huh

I have 4 x 16x on my motherboards and 2 x 1x slots and 1 MiniPCIe Slot

I thought 16x to 16x Risers do not need power because the slot handles the draw, But people use powered risers from the 1x - 16x cables..

I am totally baffled now that I see OP using 1x > 1x On a 16x GPU.... Doesnt the GPU NEED the adapter riser which converts 16x down to 1x?  If not how does it fit into the Longer slot?

I already bought my risers this is purely educational , Im just learning

This is not the place to ask silly questions. Everything you've asked has been covered millions of times on this forum.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pci-e+riser+cable+for+mining

very top link...

Sorry Pro... your awesome!!

Anywayysss

.. That site didnt answer my question I knew how to put a 1x into a 1x slot and 16x into a 16x slot. .. But dont worry, Dont stress , Relax , take a breather. I will find my answer elsewhere - I may go look through the thousands of posts hoping I come across it Roll Eyes Like I have not already.. LOL

Its not important I was just curious , I did not want to go on a search trying to find out if you can plug 1x Plugs into 16x slots without Converting them to 16x plugs. Because when I typed - 1x to 1x For 16x GPU... My answer did not come up as expected.

cuByeee
Activity: 364
wait a minute I am confused, I thought that you need 1x 16x Risers if your GPU has a 16x Slot? How can you use 1x to 1x? The slots are totally different?

Confusion!!!!   Huh

I thought 16x to 16x Risers do not need power because the slot handles the draw, But people use powered risers from the 1x - 16x cables..

I am totally baffled now that I see OP using 1x > 1x On a 16x GPU.... Doesnt the GPU NEED the adapter riser which converts 16x down to 1x?  If not how does it fit into the Longer slot?

This is not the place to ask silly questions. Everything you've asked has been covered millions of times on this forum.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pci-e+riser+cable+for+mining

very top link...

Activity: 420

Confusion!!!!   Huh

I am totally baffled now that I see OP using 1x > 1x On a 16x GPU.... Doesnt the GPU NEED the adapter riser which converts 16x down to 1x?  If not how does it fit into the Longer slot?

Activity: 59
Merit: 0
I have an idea. I have a spare r9 280x along with 4 r9 290s. I am going to try to make the r9 280x the main display and then boot into BAMT. Perhaps it will detect the cards but something with the output is screwed up with the driver on those cards. I'll let you guys know ASAP, likely Monday. I got 5 r9 280x up this weekend no problem so it is definitely the 290s issue.
legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
Does your motherboard have onboard video, or a pci slot you could put a shitty video card in?

Does your hashrate go down on all cards or just one?

no onboard video - 990fx chipset. all cards suffer.
Activity: 252
Does your motherboard have onboard video, or a pci slot you could put a shitty video card in?

Does your hashrate go down on all cards or just one?
legendary
argh! another problem. when disconnecting hdmi and having it run as standalone miner windows 8 loads some crappy 640x480 temporary driver that screws up my hashrate from 800 to 500-600. when i teamview into it i cannot change the resolution. i cannot do dummy plugs as new cards dont support analog output.
Activity: 252
Isn't the r9 290 a dual core gpu?

Also I don't think that troubleshooting guide is going to help him.  It is for older gpus.  I can run 6x7950 with no issues in windows 7, but r9 290 x6 is a different story.

Bamt is a pain in the ass.  I screwed around with it for a couple of days, then decided windows was working fine, why fuck with it.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
Since "Cryptokeeper" has not chimed in....

He has some great troubleshooting steps for a 6 card rig here.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2480038

Woodser
Newegg has a deal on xfx 290 cards, buy two and get $100 off. As a bonus it seems to defeat the quantity limit as well, because I could order 3 pairs instead of the limit of 5.

BAMT fought like crazy when I was mining with 280x's, long before there was a BAMT for the R9 cards like I think there is now.

I've noticed that the 290x will not start at all if the fan is disconnected in windows, it just won't do anything unless you remove the GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1 from registry. Even then, it will only work at tc 2816 which makes for miserable mining. I have one watercooled, to get cgminer going I have to plug the fan in, start cgminer, then unplug the fan. Pretty damn annoying... If you aren't getting temp and fan speeds it probably wont mine right.
legendary
im now running 5 gpus on this rig. temporarily set up win8. gonna wait for some custom drivers. my first linux experience was a let down. even bampt is against me.
Can anyone, anywhere, confirm running more than 4 290 cards on one board? Not 280's, I know that works, but 290's?

Wish I could order more than 2 at a time  Roll Eyes

Wait, Thank you NewEgg! Taking this one as a challenge  Grin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Caveat Emptor
Happened me with different CPUS, mobos, OS's, its got to be hardware or crappy wiring in my house.

Either way a courier came today and relieved me of my mining duties.

Im out
I think the drivers are broken. It happens with Fedora, Debian, no matter what. Sorry guys, ATI fucked us on this one. Try 4 GPUs and see if it works.
Try installing nothing but the AMD drivers, they have the SDK/ADT built in.

You are building the install package from AMD's driver right? You need to make sure you compile, rebuild, whatever, for the version of xubuntu you are running.

No idea why you are having such trouble. With Xubuntu I just tossed all 6 280x cards on the board and it fired right up the first time. Of course it did the same for windows, but two were just code 43'd as expected. Everything would start and mine just fine. Maybe something about the 290's makes for these problems?

I loosely followed this guide, except skipped the "install ssh, curl, and package updates" as well as skipping the start up scripts and alias. Figured I'd work on that after it was stable, but it's so stable I haven't bothered.

http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/04/build-a-litecoin-mining-rig-linux/

legendary
right. more agony. while having only one gpu connected to the motherboard i got pass the black screen during os install. i installed sdk, adt and 13.12 ati drivers. when all was ready to go i connected other 5 gpus to the motherboard. now after bios post i get the very same black screen with blinking underscore (!!!). it seems the xubuntu 13.1 just dont want to get through with 6 gpus.

any advise?
legendary
ok back from holidays - im at it again! just got pass the black screen once connected my usb stick to usb3 port - bizzare. installing gpu drivers now. fingers crossed.
Well usually I'm pretty good with this stuff and I know I can get it working (anything short of a hardware driver issue). I also believe that GPU mining is on it's way out. Had the money to invest... Figured I'd milk it as much as I can until the ASICs are released. I just hope I can get a year of profitable operation before the ASICs are released. I know that Alpha-T is claiming they have them already, but it looks like a BF labs scenario to me with an estimated shipping date of Q2/Q3 of 2014. They also have relatively low hashing power for an ASIC. Honestly I looked at their design spec and I don't think they have enough memory in them (128mb per chip) for effective scrypt hashing.

I'll just take my rigs apart and sell the parts on Ebay used once they are no longer profitable to run. I get power really cheap where I live also, so my main investment was the hardware. I got about 6k invested, about 4.5k in GPUs. Unfortunately, 1 mobo arrived DOA and the Gigabyte is known to have issues with BAMT so I sent it back for a different model. Also I am not cloning any rig but building 2 seperate rigs (maybe 3 now if the drivers won't support more than 4 cards.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
Wow, thats brutal. I would think you should sort all issues and have a rock solid build before cloning it with $5K in cards
I'm pretty fluent in Linux. If I can get it working with 6 R9 series cards I'll let you all know how. I was getting black screen every time I'd install the proprietary ATI driver before with a Gigabyte board. BAMT went to black screen after starting GDM every time.

I'm waiting on mobo RMAs ATM... Oh the torture. 5k in GPUs sitting here, not being used.
Pages:
Jump to: