Pages:
Author

Topic: HELP! struggling to make 6 gpu R9 290 rig to run on windows 7 (SOLVED) - page 7. (Read 33642 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
The problem is not with the motherboard. It is a windows / driver problem. Linux allegedly supports more GPUs easily, but I've never used it (i got out of GPU mining a long time ago). Good choice on the motherboard BTW. You won't need powered risers for this, because you will be powering the risers with the built in PCI-E power plug right on the motherboard.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Also worth a try to disable on-board pcie devices as much as possible in bios and see if it helps.
It's said 6 gpus did work on win7 x64 for some people, at least should be shown in device manager. See:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-anyone-able-to-run-6x-7950-on-win7-64-188334
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
as per title. i got MSI 990FXA-GD65. i connected 1 master card on x16 riser and other 5 on x1 risers. i did connect 6pin power onto motherboard. power is fine. all the guides mention catalyst 13.1 from techpowerup site or 12.6 from amd website make 6gpu rig happen - though none of them support new r9 290 cards. im now on 13.11 beta 9. device manager only see 4 video adapters. please advise.

What are you trying to mine?
Activity: 46
I am having similar issues but mine is only 2 of my 5 are showing. I have seen on many sites that Windows 7 only supports 4 gpus and you need windows 8 for more.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
i might be wrong but i think windows 7 onky supports 4 cards u need windows 8 or linux.
Activity: 171
Merit: 100
what psu you planning on running? Suggest you simply build another cheap rig and run 3 cards on each. Thats very easy to do and if one goes down and you dont notice it for hours and hours (yes it will happen, many times) you only have 3 cards not mining instead of 6, ie you just paid for your second rig because 3 cards mined all night while you slept
legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
The maximum number of gpus supported on one board also depends on the model of gpus you are running.
Since you can only see 4 cards in device manager, it might be a bios issue and not easy to fix.
I would suggest you try the method of shorting pins of A1 b17 and see if it would get more gpus to work.

thx for the tip. should i only short them for cards that dont work? im running latest bios btw.
legendary
Get the latest beta drivers.
Do you use Linux?

im on latest beta drivers right now.. im not really keen on linux. though will have to try as a last resort i guess.
Activity: 23
The maximum number of gpus supported on one board also depends on the model of gpus you are running.
Since you can only see 4 cards in device manager, it might be a bios issue and not easy to fix.
I would suggest you try the method of shorting pins of A1 b17 and see if it would get more gpus to work.

as per title. i got MSI 990FXA-GD65. i connected 1 master card on x16 riser and other 5 on x1 risers. i did connect 6pin power onto motherboard. power is fine. all the guides mention catalyst 13.1 from techpowerup site or 12.6 from amd website make 6gpu rig happen - though none of them support new r9 290 cards. im now on 13.11 beta 9. device manager only see 4 video adapters. please advise.

http://pl.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures1_2401_20110531112823.jpg
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Get the latest beta drivers.
Do you use Linux?
legendary

edit: SOLUTION:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/7xgpu-windows-modding-amd-video-driver-is-the-answer-712228

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11761.0
Pages:
Jump to: