Pages:
Author

Topic: Holdings of gold vs Holdings of btc - page 85. (Read 62760 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
December 20, 2015, 03:12:05 AM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?
i am not sure that there is graphics or data to show how many bitcoin holder and gold holders,but i found this :
While Marc Faber has said "I will never sell my gold," he also noted "I like the idea of Bitcoin," and the battle between the 'alternative currencies' continues. The following infographic provides a succinct illustration of the similarities and differences between gold and bitcoin.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-27/bitcoin-vs-gold-infographic
i think its little give explain about both holder.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
December 19, 2015, 04:31:11 PM
Gold is nice. You can wear it and also look at it.
Then there is the value which is even better.

Those are the main reasons i buy gold. Bitcoin i buy because i believe in the concept and the future role of bitcoin in financial markets.

Yes, gold are tangible assets and you can also use them for accessories if you wanted to. On the other hand, bitcoin is also a secure and cool storage of value because you don't need to worry about keeping it because for as long as you have a paper wallet kept in a secure place, your precious coins are fine.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
December 19, 2015, 04:22:52 PM
Gold is nice. You can wear it and also look at it.
Then there is the value which is even better.

Those are the main reasons i buy gold. Bitcoin i buy because i believe in the concept and the future role of bitcoin in financial markets.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
December 19, 2015, 03:23:09 PM
Gold has a bigger interest because is material ,and all people loove to have it ,being a ring or other thing,bitcoin is just virtual soo people dont see it the same way as gold,even both becoming to be ending.

i do have to agree with you that a lot people don't think bitcoin is worth it since you can not hold it as physical item. here in the netherlands the media writes off bitcoin as being hot air. they say yes, you have 1 bitcoin in your computer, but you can't have it in your hand, so it's basically worthless according to them. it's purely ignorance. the money that they have in their bank account when checking their balance via internet is also virtual. only.... they didn't mention that  Undecided
Activity: 560
December 19, 2015, 03:10:29 PM
Gold has a bigger interest because is material ,and all people loove to have it ,being a ring or other thing,bitcoin is just virtual soo people dont see it the same way as gold,even both becoming to be ending.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
December 19, 2015, 09:41:25 AM
I hold about 4 % of my net worth in gold compared to a whopping 30% for bitcoin. Am I normal?

Since Bitcoin is an extremely high risk investment, I'd say that you are having too many bitcoins and far less bullion bars / coins. My net worth is around $80,000. Out of that 90% is in real estate (which I consider as a low risk investment). Of the remaining, 5% is in stocks and mutual funds, 4% in Bitcoin, and 1% in bullion.
Activity: 401
Merit: 280
December 19, 2015, 08:16:12 AM
Mineral apple vs digital orange. Gold is physical, bitcoin is mathematical. Move around a few protons and you get Hg/Pt, yes it is high energy consuming but doable. You can not modify a single bit in bitcoin and come to an usable "item".

Gold has already failed to be the abstraction of 'money'; the moment a piece of paper saying "i am x amount of gold in y vault in z country" became accepted as money (due to its' lower transaction cost), gold ceased to be circulating in real life economy as a tool for value of exchange - due its very high transaction cost -; try buying anything with physical gold in an everyday real life store, it is nearly impossible - not like bitcoin, and it will have more and more of those stores- , unless you convert it to say like paper money first, so at best it is a money surrogate. Also, if gold failed once to stop fiat becoming de facto "money", it will fail again in the future.

If we accept that money is an abstraction for value to be used in exchanges (trade), than, from the technical point of view (medium of exchange), the perfect money is an abstraction itself: a digital good. It is precisely because gold has other, physical uses - electronics, medical, jewelry as status symbol, etc- which make it less than optimal. It can go to be used as an industrial good suddenly from hold of value, if that value is getting on pair with its physical utility in electronics in one day - in other words, if it gets cheap enough, we rather "use it up" in everyday items - computers, cables etc, than store it in the vault.

Bitcoin on the other hand is programmable. Since the abstraction of money is just a public agreement - totally arbitrary -, and bitcoin can be made - and already is- widely more useful than gold (gold is just sitting there, you have to store it, guard it, transport it physically - it is heavy!, you can not divide/add it up on whim, it is hard to proof it is "real" in everyday use, etc). Technologically it is far more superior.

Of course, some argue, that without the internet, there is no bitcoin. News flash: without the internet, there is no global economy, power grid management, transportation, and in days, there is no food in any major city. Than you can trade your bag of gold for a bag of potatoes, like people do in war zones...Just a hint Smiley
Activity: 644
December 19, 2015, 08:01:15 AM
The problem with holding BTC is that we don't have slightest idea how it will scale in the future. Gold is commodity and its status won't change - probably ever.
Bitcoin, however, could be harmed by potentially unfavorable laws and restrictions in the future.
Bitcoin is not like gold as standard as you said But price comparison of the bitcoin and gold is very far. Bitcoin is not harmful its accepting by many companies now a days Until people knows gold have this value, No one was think about gold also same condition for Bitcoin now Its already spreading. It will reach all common people in the world.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048
December 19, 2015, 05:10:36 AM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?
i dont have idea how many people hold gold and bitcoin,but for now,I am sure, holder of gold have more than bitcoin holders for now, but I do not know a few years later, the number may be the same,even that nearly impposible,because gold have physical,and gold can be used as jewerly,but bitcoin can't.
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
December 18, 2015, 11:40:48 AM
It is. I could not believe it either, when I heard some months ago that the Indian government wants to stop the import of Gold because of the negative trade balance. Then I read this interesting article from The Economist.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-11

It is a cultural thing to buy and hold gold in India really? I didn't know that.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043
December 18, 2015, 08:00:10 AM
Holding gold you won't make that much profit in a long term.
If the IMF adds the Yuan to the list of international currencies, the US dollar will start it's inevitable decline and gold will go up. Quite a bit, I think

That's already happened a few weeks back Smiley
Activity: 994
December 18, 2015, 06:38:15 AM
You can hold both if you want. I just prefer bitcoin, because is easy to do.
What I like the most about bitcoin is that have low fees and later a few years in can go to 1500 dollars.
Activity: 1061
Merit: 502
RIP: S5, A faithful device long time
December 18, 2015, 05:49:35 AM
I think is now better hold bitcoins, later invest to gold. Hope BitStamp goes about 1200 dollars/BTC. Smiley
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
December 18, 2015, 04:55:19 AM
I own maybe 1% gold of my net worth. To me gold is stable but i prefer to follow stock markets etc. So i decided to invest more in stocks bonds etc.
In time, I do expect to increase my gold holdings...or have more funds into bitcoin.
Activity: 518
December 18, 2015, 04:46:38 AM
Holding gold you won't make that much profit in a long term.
If the IMF adds the Yuan to the list of international currencies, the US dollar will start it's inevitable decline and gold will go up. Quite a bit, I think

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
December 17, 2015, 12:04:29 PM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?

Holding btc is more valuable than gold .
Bitcoin prices can anytime go to top level and easily you can sell or buy it with more comfort and ease than gold.
Also gold is very old and not more appreciated by people now. Modern technology uses modern things.

Of course it is. Bitcoin is just starting up and it is still trying to find its correct price. Gold has already stabilised in price, so you won't earn much if you invest in gold now.

Yes indeed the pace at which Bitcoin's value is increasing is much much more when compared with the value of gold it's just the matter of stability. Risk takers and wanna be achievers will go with Bitcoin while people with narrow mind will go with gold.
Of course it is. Bitcoin is just starting up and it is still trying to find its correct price. Gold has already stabilised in price, so you won't earn much if you invest in gold now.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
December 17, 2015, 11:39:57 AM
The problem with holding BTC is that we don't have slightest idea how it will scale in the future. Gold is commodity and its status won't change - probably ever.
Bitcoin, however, could be harmed by potentially unfavorable laws and restrictions in the future.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 17, 2015, 11:28:17 AM
Are you including central banks etc.

In countries like India its cultural to hold.

Bitcoin is a drop in the ocean compared to market cap of gold.

snip

this only mean that bitcoin need more time, do not forget that bitcoin is six year old, gold 200, not comprable

all i can see is that gold at peak was only 2k, bitcoin reach 1200 in just 4 years, so i see a better proposal for bitcoin than gold

Gold will always be gold, technology advances at an exponential rate.

Something bigger and better than bitcoin could be released tomorrow with support from large organisations and governments killing bitcoin off overnight.

this is not as true as many believe, bitcoin is already very hard to kill, and anyway anyone joining the network with big hash, would take the profit, it would make any sense to do the opposite
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043
December 17, 2015, 07:48:03 AM

snip

this only mean that bitcoin need more time, do not forget that bitcoin is six year old, gold 200, not comprable

all i can see is that gold at peak was only 2k, bitcoin reach 1200 in just 4 years, so i see a better proposal for bitcoin than gold

Gold will always be gold, technology advances at an exponential rate.

Something bigger and better than bitcoin could be released tomorrow with support from large organisations and governments killing bitcoin off overnight.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 17, 2015, 07:28:05 AM

snip

Pages:
Jump to: