Pages:
Author

Topic: Homeland Security raids mall kiosks, claims they "fund terrorists" - page 2. (Read 5768 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
What if, and this is only speculation, in these days of sequestrated budgets, the Department of Homeland Security wants to show its not a total waste of money and operations like this are all they have to work on?

Seriously there is no invasion for them to defend against; the Boston bombs make them look stupid; money is tight; perhaps this is all they have to avoid being fired for uselessness?

This could be a possibility. Government always tends to go for a reward-by-result numbers game. I wouldn't be able to say such a thing is true, because I'm not in a position to say just how much impact the DHS really has on the activity of terrorists. I think in the end though a strategy such as this would be moot, as you would be chasing phantom cases. "We thought this was the action of terrorists but wasn't, oops" might be a lot worse than "we have thus far found no sign of terrorist threat." Having one rather small article to go on makes assessment of exactly what the DHS is doing in this case is all but impossible.

The tone of the OP's article says "Look at me - I am not a waste of money."  It's not a huge issue that DHS got used instead of the local cops to arrest hucksters selling fake copyrights.  But it is interesting that they have so little work that is what they are told to do.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
What if, and this is only speculation, in these days of sequestrated budgets, the Department of Homeland Security wants to show its not a total waste of money and operations like this are all they have to work on?

Seriously there is no invasion for them to defend against; the Boston bombs make them look stupid; money is tight; perhaps this is all they have to avoid being fired for uselessness?

This could be a possibility. Government always tends to go for a reward-by-result numbers game. I wouldn't be able to say such a thing is true, because I'm not in a position to say just how much impact the DHS really has on the activity of terrorists. I think in the end though a strategy such as this would be moot, as you would be chasing phantom cases. "We thought this was the action of terrorists but wasn't, oops" might be a lot worse than "we have thus far found no sign of terrorist threat." Having one rather small article to go on makes assessment of exactly what the DHS is doing in this case is all but impossible.

legendary
..snip...
The flip side is that if the DHS got involved, they probably have more evidence than a bunch of counterfeit merchandise. There could be an absolute bucket of reasons that the DHS did this and I highly doubt it is solely because they thought that terrorists were using the products as income. That is personal speculation on my part though. Other than that, I agree that the DHS handling this was extreme, but as far as I'm concerned, it was far from the wrong thing to do.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Thanks, that's all I needed. Now, since the DHS is involved, clearly the case involved terrorists, yes? So the title is neither sensationalist, nor a lie.

The Sun is made of cotton candy! The Sun is made of cotton candy! Maybe if I say it over and over again, it becomes true? I mean, that must be what happens. There is no other reason you would so blatantly lie over and over again. Continue this type of garbage discussion and I will ignore you for trolling. Now try again, and think before you post this time.

DHS are the police when it involves crimes such as these [which involve terrorists].

Or maybe a better title would be: DHS desperate for purpose, claims flimsy excuse to raid mall kisoks?
Activity: 490
There is nothing wrong with seizing counterfeit products. Your sensationalist title skews the issue.

Exactly.
Thanks, that's all I needed. Now, since the DHS is involved, clearly the case involved terrorists, yes? So the title is neither sensationalist, nor a lie.

The Sun is made of cotton candy! The Sun is made of cotton candy! Maybe if I say it over and over again, it becomes true? I mean, that must be what happens. There is no other reason you would so blatantly lie over and over again. Continue this type of garbage discussion and I will ignore you for trolling. Now try again, and think before you post this time.

The problem is that Homeland Security people are sitting about waiting since 2002 waiting for something they can fight back against.  Nothing has happened that they can stop. So they are using counter-terrorist institutions and legislation against hucksters selling fake perfumes and jeans.

I agree the hucksters needed to be taken down.  I agree that the Homeland Security people are more use doing that than sitting about playing pocket billiards.  But what does bother me is that its called "Homeland Security" and its being used for routine police work. 

If they had done the same raid and never once mentioned terrorism or Homeland Security, no-one would object.

Severian's point in making the post is that petty crime is being attacked by elite anti-terrorist forces backed by the Patriot Act.  I'm sure you can see why that is a bad thing.

The other guys piling in saying this proves that all police action is evil and illegitimate? Ignore them.

The flip side is that if the DHS got involved, they probably have more evidence than a bunch of counterfeit merchandise. There could be an absolute bucket of reasons that the DHS did this and I highly doubt it is solely because they thought that terrorists were using the products as income. That is personal speculation on my part though. Other than that, I agree that the DHS handling this was extreme, but as far as I'm concerned, it was far from the wrong thing to do.

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
RavinTavin from MyFreeCams
Frankly, I am surprised that MFC hasn't caught more heat about sending money around the world, some of the girls look to be in cave!
donator
Merit: 1015
I don't remember hearing anything about a new, invasive police force with jurisdiction everywhere called DHS. It didn't seem to garner as much discussion as it probably should have, considering it now handles everything from MSB compliance to cheap knock-off products in malls.

You know, though, AE -- cell phone accessories have notoriously high markup over cost to manufacture. It's in roughly the same margin class as "designer" costume jewelry. Why on Earth would any organization be worried about increasing an 80% margin? Are the "dangerous underground entities" just that greedy? Or maybe the plastic foundry (are they called foundries?) is part of the much bigger money-laundering, kill-Americans-with-unsafe-plastics scheme?
Which ones? The ones involving terrorists?

Or trademark violations?

The former...
legendary
Why is this being made about me? This is about DHS busting trademark infringers and claiming that they could fund terrorism as the excuse.

Counterfeit items are a danger in and of themselves. They are often made without industry regulations (because the manufactureres are illegal in the first place). The DHS handled the situation because the operation behind the counterfeit items may have also been a terrorist organization. What exactly is your problem with any of that?

The problem is that Homeland Security people are sitting about waiting since 2002 waiting for something they can fight back against.  Nothing has happened that they can stop. So they are using counter-terrorist institutions and legislation against hucksters selling fake perfumes and jeans.

I agree the hucksters needed to be taken down.  I agree that the Homeland Security people are more use doing that than sitting about playing pocket billiards.  But what does bother me is that its called "Homeland Security" and its being used for routine police work.  

If they had done the same raid and never once mentioned terrorism or Homeland Security, no-one would object.

Severian's point in making the post is that petty crime is being attacked by elite anti-terrorist forces backed by the Patriot Act.  I'm sure you can see why that is a bad thing.

The other guys piling in saying this proves that all police action is evil and illegitimate? Ignore them.

Or trademark violations?

The former, however if the former involves the latter then the jurisdiction is easily expanded. As the article states, the DHS obtained the necessary warrants before proceeding.
Busting local kiosks should be done by local police after their done busting everyone for city infractions.

DHS are the police when it involves crimes such as these.

Or trademark violations?
Busting local kiosks should be done by local police after their done busting everyone for city infractions.

DHS are the police when it involves crimes such as these. Its one of the main reasons the department was created.

So should you.

po·lice/pəˈlis/ Show Spelled [puh-lees] Show IPA noun, verb, po·liced, po·lic·ing. 
noun
1. Also called police force.  an organized civil force for maintaining order, preventing and detecting crime, and enforcing the laws.
2. ( used with a plural verb  ) members of such a force: Several police are patrolling the neighborhood. 
3. the regulation and control of a community, especially for the maintenance of public order, safety, health, morals, etc.
4. the department of the government concerned with this, especially with the maintenance of order.
5. any body of people officially maintained or employed to keep order, enforce regulations, etc.

Lol, try again?
One word is all it takes to make a lie.

This is correct, but irrelevant. My previous statement remains to be correct. Make sure you know the English language before you make posts in it.
So should you.

police  plural of po·lice (Noun)
Noun

The civil force of a federal or local government, responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is a cabinet department of the United States federal government, created in response to the September 11 attacks, and with the primary responsibilities of protecting the United States of America and U.S. territories (including protectorates) from and responding to terrorist attacks, man-made accidents, and natural disasters.
Activity: 644
Why is this being made about me? This is about DHS busting trademark infringers and claiming that they could fund terrorism as the excuse.

Counterfeit items are a danger in and of themselves. They are often made without industry regulations (because the manufactureres are illegal in the first place). The DHS handled the situation because the operation behind the counterfeit items may have also been a terrorist organization. What exactly is your problem with any of that?

Activity: 644
Whats next the internet has terrorists dealing in bitcoins. Uh OH
Activity: 476
Merit: 250

You've already been backed into a wall and given up once, this must mean its happening again?

DHS puts out their explanations of "could fund terrorism" for the average Joe, not for those in the DHS.

Which contradicts your title.

Yes, but it would be nice if you helped.

You've already been backed into a wall and given up once, this must mean its happening again?

This is correct, but irrelevant. My previous statement remains to be correct. Make sure you know the English language before you make posts in it.
So now you're claiming it wasn't DHS?

Please point out where I claimed that. I also suggest looking up the definition of the word "police."
Pages:
Jump to: