Pages:
Author

Topic: Homeland Security raids mall kiosks, claims they "fund terrorists" - page 3. (Read 5768 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
What the "average joe" thinks is irrelevant.

DHS puts out their explanations of "could fund terrorism" for the average Joe, not for those in the DHS.

Are you trying to make an intelligent discussion

Yes, but it would be nice if you helped.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
So now you're claiming it wasn't DHS?

Please point out where I claimed that. I also suggest looking up the definition of the word "police."

The difference between the government claiming that something "could fund terrorism" or that something "funds terrorism" is so slight as to be non-existent. If the DHS publicly claimed that AzureEngineer "could be a pedophile" or that AzureEngineer "is a pedophile" after raiding your house, do you think that the average Joe would see a difference?

Nope.

What the "average joe" thinks is irrelevant. Are you trying to make an intelligent discussion or are you just trying to bullshit the "average joe"? The latter seems more likely.

I'm all for criticizing the government, but you're doing it in the wrong manner.

The difference between the government claiming that something "could fund terrorism" or that something "funds terrorism" is so slight as to be non-existent. If the DHS publicly claimed that AzureEngineer "could be a pedophile" or that AzureEngineer "is a pedophile" after raiding your house, do you think that the average Joe would see a difference?

Nope.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Well, given that they're doing it wholesale, and this is just one tiny fudge, aren't there bigger fish to fry? I mean, all he did was leave out "could."

One word is all it takes to make the truth a lie. The real question is why was the title "Police seize counterfeit goods from stores" not chosen? The answer is obvious: because the truth is boring.
So now you're claiming it wasn't DHS?
Well, given that they're doing it wholesale, and this is just one tiny fudge, aren't there bigger fish to fry? I mean, all he did was leave out "could."

One word is all it takes to make the truth a lie. The real question is why was the title "Police seize counterfeit goods from stores" not chosen? The answer is obvious: because the truth is boring.
That is a lie.
Out of curiosity, is defending the honor of DHS a hobby or a job?
Lying is not acceptable, whether it is done by the government or by you.
That is a lie.

Lying is not acceptable, whether it is done by the government or by you. Every one of these threads you make obfuscates real issues. You dilute an otherwise serious topic by adding bias and lies.

Every time you make up garbage, you cause more and more people to assume that you and people like you make up garbage. I'm all for criticizing the government, but you're doing it in the wrong manner.
That is a lie.

No, it still is. It is not only sensational, it is a complete lie.

Since you keep moving the goalposts, your actual issue with the article is hard to ascertain: it's either a lie or I should be glad that DHS shut down a possible terrorist funding operation.

Which is it?

Those two choices do not contradict one another and are not mutually exclusive. You're title still says the DHS claimed the products "fund terrorists." That is a lie.
how do you raid a mall kiosk?
Well, you know how those shopkeepers terrorists are. You need 5, maybe 6 dozen fully-armed and armored troops.

Since you keep moving the goalposts, your actual issue with the article is hard to ascertain: it's either a lie or I should be glad that DHS shut down a possible terrorist funding operation.

Which is it?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
how do you raid a mall kiosk?
Ah. Now the title isn't sensational.

Activity: 209
Merit: 100
This has absolutely nothing to do with counterfeit goods. It's about whether or not items are being sold underground. All sorts of products make it 'underground' -- not limited to merchants who report them stolen (for insurance purposes), and then sell them. Or it could be service members buying things tax-free in bulk at their 'commissaries', and attempting to make a profit reselling them. These items aren't the least-bit fake.  If you don't have a receipt trail, with all the 'i's dotted, and T's crossed, you can expect this sort of harassment.

This would normally be an FBI matter, or even local police. But local police and FBI are much more restrained in what they can do in such cases. But Homeland Security is able to dig much more deeply into your life -- without warrant or cause -- in dragnet types of investigations.

US Tax law currently mandates income taxes -- even on income from bitcoin sales.  Local taxes generally also apply -- insisting on the tax on the dollar value equivalent for the item being sold for bitcoins.  If you're dealing in large numbers of items, through bitcoin, and you aren't paying taxes, don't be surprised when they investigate you using 'counterfeiting laws' -- and confiscate your goods at customs or other shipping facilities.
Terrorists speed, therefor speeders may be terrorists, therefor DHS has jurisdiction. Did I get that right?

Spot on. Furtherly, terrorists breathe, anyone that breathes may be a terrorist.

The logic of government is pretty simple.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Terrorists speed, therefor speeders may be terrorists, therefor DHS has jurisdiction. Did I get that right?

Would you prefer the government allow what could be a terrorist fund to continue unabated?

Ah. Now the title isn't sensational.
"Homeland Security does wellness check for corporate trademarks, naughty people found"

Is this better?

This is sensationalist as well. Depending on the counterfeiter, counterfeit items can be quite dangerous, as most cut costs by not abiding by health and safety standards. Saying counterfeit items are bad because it hurts corporations is silly.

To repeat, since you seem made of dense stuff: DHS claimed it could be funding terrorist networks. They used the excuse, not me.

Would you prefer the government allow what could be a terrorist fund to continue unabated? You're not making a whole lot of sense.
Or maybe: "Homeland security now enforcing trademark law."

They can't even do that right.
Then you didn't read the article.

To repeat, since you seem made of dense stuff: DHS claimed it could be funding terrorist networks. They used the excuse, not me.
Pages:
Jump to: