Pages:
Author

Topic: How can developers make a decent return for their work in crypto currency - page 2. (Read 2410 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
fml
My issue is the lack of formality from these clonecoins.  For instance, when Digicoin was released and we asked Baritus why 5 confirmations was enough and his only answer was "because of my tests".  And then he supposedly was working on a paper to publish the details as to why. It's in the first page of posts of the digicoin release thread if you want to check it for yourself.  But guess what, no paper has yet to be released.  Baritus is also the same developer who was blatantly mining other coins by contract during the first days of digicoin's release, when arguably 'his' coin is most vulnerable and would thus benefit from additional trusted nodes/miners.

Another issue is the anonymity of devs.  We can see who Gavin, Wtogami, Garzik, and other people are.  They're not just a string of characters or an avatar in a forum.  It's all about accountability.  These ghost-clonecoin-devs premine and claim it's for development and yet we all know we can't do a damn thing when the dev disappears.  This is part of the frustration when we see a coin has been premined.

You won't be able to satisfy everyone regarding the premine vs no-premine debate.  But you want to lessen the backlash of a 1% premine or block subsidy to the devs?  Then don't just be a forum avatar.  Post a CV and resume.  Post your Linkedin/Facebook/Google+ page.  Post a public portfolio.  Dare to post a (legit) phone number on the coin's website.  Dare to show us you are not afraid to be held accountable.

I had my google+ page as a signature but removed it because I got too many people pm'ing me.  But when I release my project to the public later this summer, I won't just be a forum avatar.  You'll be able to knock on my door ask me a question...

-Merc

That is quite possibly, the stupidest idea, I've ever heard. I have been threatened, more than once, by fucking freaks on these forums. Sure, no problem, I'll give them my phone number and home address, so some teenage fag, full of angst, can call me, or show up on my families door step.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
My issue is the lack of formality from these clonecoins.  For instance, when Digicoin was released and we asked Baritus why 5 confirmations was enough and his only answer was "because of my tests".  And then he supposedly was working on a paper to publish the details as to why. It's in the first page of posts of the digicoin release thread if you want to check it for yourself.  But guess what, no paper has yet to be released.  Baritus is also the same developer who was blatantly mining other coins by contract during the first days of digicoin's release, when arguably 'his' coin is most vulnerable and would thus benefit from additional trusted nodes/miners.

Another issue is the anonymity of devs.  We can see who Gavin, Wtogami, Garzik, and other people are.  They're not just a string of characters or an avatar in a forum.  It's all about accountability.  These ghost-clonecoin-devs premine and claim it's for development and yet we all know we can't do a damn thing when the dev disappears.  This is part of the frustration when we see a coin has been premined.

You won't be able to satisfy everyone regarding the premine vs no-premine debate.  But you want to lessen the backlash of a 1% premine or block subsidy to the devs?  Then don't just be a forum avatar.  Post a CV and resume.  Post your Linkedin/Facebook/Google+ page.  Post a public portfolio.  Dare to post a (legit) phone number on the coin's website.  Dare to show us you are not afraid to be held accountable.

I had my google+ page as a signature but removed it because I got too many people pm'ing me.  But when I release my project to the public later this summer, I won't just be a forum avatar.  You'll be able to knock on my door ask me a question...

-Merc

fml
And I'm sorry, which coin did you create?

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin.

-MarkM-

I knew I liked this guy for a reason

Stop acting like you understood a fucking word he said, fucking carpet cleaning retard
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054
CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin.

-MarkM-

I knew I liked this guy for a reason
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin, prototyped in what ended up as GRP.

-MarkM-
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
But, exchanges profit off the coins, faucets profit off the coins, gambling sites, pools, ect, ect, all these services profit off the coins, but the developer is not allowed to profit of their coins? Seriously? Are you on glue?

Again, the developers are Satoshi and lolcust/art, maybe with lolcust/art eclipsed lately by Colbee who at least DID bring Tenebrix/Fairbrix up to date in a kind of sleazy lefthanded way (he changed the name of the coin and the ports and so on, thus providing Tenebrix and Fairbrix with a template of updated code they could change back the names and ports etc of if they chose to, he called that template litecoin, and the rest, as they say, is history...)

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images stymbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actuial development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

In short, they are in no way shape or form "developers".

-MarkM-

He just explained exactly how useless that metric is.
fml
But, exchanges profit off the coins, faucets profit off the coins, gambling sites, pools, ect, ect, all these services profit off the coins, but the developer is not allowed to profit of their coins? Seriously? Are you on glue?

Again, the developers are Satoshi and lolcust/art, maybe with lolcust/art eclipsed lately by Colbee who at least DID bring Tenebrix/Fairbrix up to date in a kind of sleazy lefthanded way (he changed the name of the coin and the ports and so on, thus providing Tenebrix and Fairbrix with a template of updated code they could change back the names and ports etc of if they chose to, he called that template litecoin, and the rest, as they say, is history...)

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images stymbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actuial development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

-MarkM-

legendary

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images symbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actual development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

-MarkM-

P.S. And yes, one can easily leave lolcust/art and coblee off the list of developers, though coblee maybe could be called a maintainer in addition to a clonemaker.
Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created?

Satoshi is the developer. I once upon a time thought I was at least giving him the genesis block coins when I made new chains, but I later learned oops he doesn't even get those!

If you are doing a scrypt coin, then maybe both Satoshi and Lolcust/Art or whoever are the developers, so maybe give first block coins to Satoshi and second block to them?

Then there is the clonecoin kiddie who does a search and replace changes a few ports and block rewards and such, not a developer at all whatsoever, just another "lets scam some money out of folks usuing what Satoshi and maybe also lolcust/art developed...

Heck how about you first bring Tenebrix and/or Fairbrix up to date with latest bitcoin code first to show us you actually can maintain/update an scrypt based coin before spawning yet another one to add to the backlog of scrypt based coins that are not yet up to date with latest bitcoin code?

-MarkM-

LTC, is a BTC clone, with a different Crypto Algo...THE FUCKING CODE IS ALMOST IDENTICAL
LTC made much more innovation than 95% of the clonecoin litecoin-renames in this subforum. Most of the clonecoins change so much less.
If you develop something good, you will get donations.

And you could always mine like the rest of us, VLAD

Oh, I see, the developer, who spent weeks, coding, and testing and compiling, and recoding, and recompiling, and retesting, ect, ect, ect, then, after release, spends hours a day, of their spare time, promoting the coin, and establishing services, and taking shit from everyone on the forums, should get the same payout, as someone who spent a bunch of money on mining gear, flipped a switch, and sat on a couch watching TV? Hmmmm, makes sense. All buisinesses should operate that way Roll Eyes

There is nothing wrong, with putting a small ammount of your creation, in your own wallet. If it takes off, you get what you deserve. If it doesn't, your premine is worthless anyways.

Creating a coin is nothing like running a business lol

I run two business on a day to day basis. 95% of these coin creators would never even get their doors open. Don't act like it's that hard to change a few lines of code. Write something from scratch or introduce a new algorithm if you want people to take you seriously

Exactly.
If this were a forum for P2P filesharing tools, would we see clonetorrent developers whining that they should be able to backdoor their software so their own files get shared faster or they have more access? No one would give that shit a second look. But here, just because it's a P2P value transfer system, it's supposed to function as a business that profits them directly? A P2P cryptocurrency isn't a small business. It's not a packaged product that you sell (well, the miners will sell the results in their use of it). It's not a charity system. If you want to get paid for running a service managed by you, then providing decentralized software is not the place to look!

And The Pirate Bay gets a shit-ton of ad money while relying on Torrent technology. Just because you're vaguely involved doesn't mean you're entitled to a profit by backdooring yourself a cut or undermining the system's integrity.
fml
Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created?

Satoshi is the developer. I once upon a time thought I was at least giving him the genesis block coins when I made new chains, but I later learned oops he doesn't even get those!

If you are doing a scrypt coin, then maybe both Satoshi and Lolcust/Art or whoever are the developers, so maybe give first block coins to Satoshi and second block to them?

Then there is the clonecoin kiddie who does a search and replace changes a few ports and block rewards and such, not a developer at all whatsoever, just another "lets scam some money out of folks usuing what Satoshi and maybe also lolcust/art developed...

Heck how about you first bring Tenebrix and/or Fairbrix up to date with latest bitcoin code first to show us you actually can maintain/update an scrypt based coin before spawning yet another one to add to the backlog of scrypt based coins that are not yet up to date with latest bitcoin code?

-MarkM-

LTC, is a BTC clone, with a different Crypto Algo...THE FUCKING CODE IS ALMOST IDENTICAL
fml

Oh, I see, the developer, who spent weeks, coding, and testing and compiling, and recoding, and recompiling, and retesting, ect, ect, ect, then, after release, spends hours a day, of their spare time, promoting the coin, and establishing services, and taking shit from everyone on the forums, should get the same payout, as someone who spent a bunch of money on mining gear, flipped a switch, and sat on a couch watching TV? Hmmmm, makes sense. All buisinesses should operate that way Roll Eyes

There is nothing wrong, with putting a small ammount of your creation, in your own wallet. If it takes off, you get what you deserve. If it doesn't, your premine is worthless anyways.

I run two business on a day to day basis. 95% of these coin creators would never even get their doors open. Don't act like it's that hard to change a few lines of code. Write something from scratch or introduce a new algorithm if you want people to take you seriously

Exactly.
If this were a forum for P2P filesharing tools, would we see clonetorrent developers whining that they should be able to backdoor their software so their own files get shared faster or they have more access? No one would give that shit a second look. But here, just because it's a P2P value transfer system, it's supposed to function as a business that profits them directly? A P2P cryptocurrency isn't a small business. It's not a packaged product that you sell (well, the miners will sell the results in their use of it). It's not a charity system. If you want to get paid for running a service managed by you, then providing decentralized software is not the place to look!

legendary

-MarkM-

Exactly.
fml
Arg, I want to punch you. Even the fucking icons and pictures, in every single fucking QT wallet, are called Bitcoin.xxx or Bitcoin_testnet.xxx Angry
fml

The last coin written from scratch, was probably Bitcoin, you fucking moron.
Just look at the goddamn LTC code. If you don't know anything about programming, stfu

And Scypt was not a new Crypto algorithm, it was just implemented into LTC Roll Eyes
legendary
Except its not worthless, its grist for the pump and dump mill.

Some scummy exchange will list the coin to get a percentage of the bitcoins or dollars or litecoins people pay for the latest tulip mania scamcoin crap, the premine is dumped hopefully before the suckers realise it is just yet another of the daily round of pump and dump scams, and by then the next scam is ready to launch or already launched.

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap.

-MarkM-

I'm talking 1-2% premine here. Not the 7 million that was premined with coins like GLD. Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created? They should rely on donations, from, for the most part, small time miners? Because, in general, big mining setups, are not worried about paying anyone, except themselves, and the power company.

And, we'll fall back to the ussual, Bitcoin, which everyone loves so much, was pre mined to shit

Exactly what I said. Come up with your own algorithm or code. Then you deserve to premine it. Change a few lines and you don't deserve a god damn thing, you special little snowflake, you
legendary

fml

Some scummy exchange will list the coin to get a percentage of the bitcoins or dollars or litecoins people pay for the latest tulip mania scamcoin crap, the premine is dumped hopefully before the suckers realise it is just yet another of the daily round of pump and dump scams, and by then the next scam is ready to launch or already launched.

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap.

-MarkM-

I'm talking 1-2% premine here. Not the 7 million that was premined with coins like GLD. Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created? They should rely on donations, from, for the most part, small time miners? Because, in general, big mining setups, are not worried about paying anyone, except themselves, and the power company.

And, we'll fall back to the ussual, Bitcoin, which everyone loves so much, was pre mined to shit
legendary

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap, as a bit of free loot for a few hours between that pump and dump and the next one that is already waiting in the wings to take its place.

-MarkM-
Pages:
Jump to: