Pages:
Author

Topic: How do I make a coin? - page 3. (Read 27705 times)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10
December 16, 2013, 05:31:19 AM
What exactly is your understanding of bitcoin, and how it came to be? Truly curious.
Activity: 308
Merit: 253
December 15, 2013, 11:57:14 AM
We need a thread that deals with killing clone coins rather than making new ones.
Copycats are just bad for the environment , we need real new coins with some advantages , not tweaks on Bitcoin

If there is a market for those crap coins then so be it. I think informing people about how those coins usually end is enough.

Sure clones never make it but there is never a coin based on anything

Like a Bitcointalk coin or a USA coin or a Medicare coin or NAFTA coin

Just something people can actually get behind
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
December 15, 2013, 03:25:43 AM
We need a thread that deals with killing clone coins rather than making new ones.
Copycats are just bad for the environment , we need real new coins with some advantages , not tweaks on Bitcoin

If there is a market for those crap coins then so be it. I think informing people about how those coins usually end is enough.
Activity: 70
December 15, 2013, 02:48:40 AM
Clone novacoin.
It has a combined generation mechanism.
Resistance to 51% attack.

What is combined generation mechanism?
50 %  coins generated by  "proof of work".
50 % coins generated by "proof of stake".
Attack with hash power impossible.

No , to be a novacoin clone you must first premine 200k of the coins. Also since nvc is based on ppc , it is a clone itself.
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
December 15, 2013, 02:44:43 AM
Clone novacoin.
It has a combined generation mechanism.
Resistance to 51% attack.

What is combined generation mechanism?
50 %  coins generated by  "proof of work".
50 % coins generated by "proof of stake".
Attack with hash power impossible.
December 14, 2013, 11:24:26 PM
Picture it in other way.
A company running a factory in town x , goes to town y where their main competitor is running his business , start a new factory and offer three times the payout. Because the second owner can't afford it and can't find qualified peoples he has to close it down (51% attack). Then with the competitor gone , the guy from town x will also close the second factory and leave the people unemployed.

This is the way scamcoins feed.

I understand your theory, but my point is (as I said): "If a network can't stand up to a loss in hashing power then that coin was flawed to begin with."

No coins , not even bitcoin is able to deal with a hashpower issue generated by somebody willingly losing money to drive miners out..
Maybe in the future , but not right now.

The Bitcoin network is increasing in hashpower every day, the difficulty has been increasing ~15% every 11 days for sometime now with even higher spikes more recently.

I promise, a couple of startup coins that 90% of which will never see an exchange will never be able to hurt Bitcoin's hashrate.

Hihi , that's because bitcoin is sha256 , and most coins are scrypt , just for marketing , 'gave coins to the poor' slogan .

The LTC people on the other side are getting nervous.
A mining pool that has a lot of new miners , mining for crazy for the most profitable coin out there , rewarding them 10 times as more with a fake coins  would gain enough power to make a hit on the LTC network if they make the switch.
Until the miners realize what they are doing it will be a little late Smiley
But lets' hope it won't happen.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
December 14, 2013, 11:14:54 PM
Picture it in other way.
A company running a factory in town x , goes to town y where their main competitor is running his business , start a new factory and offer three times the payout. Because the second owner can't afford it and can't find qualified peoples he has to close it down (51% attack). Then with the competitor gone , the guy from town x will also close the second factory and leave the people unemployed.

I understand your theory, but my point is (as I said): "If a network can't stand up to a loss in hashing power then that coin was flawed to begin with."

No coins , not even bitcoin is able to deal with a hashpower issue generated by somebody willingly losing money to drive miners out..

The Bitcoin network is increasing in hashpower every day, the difficulty has been increasing ~15% every 11 days for sometime now with even higher spikes more recently.

I promise, a couple of startup coins that 90% of which will never see an exchange will never be able to hurt Bitcoin's hashrate.
December 14, 2013, 11:10:44 PM
Picture it in other way.

Chainjoes.com
December 14, 2013, 10:57:23 PM
Picture it in other way.

December 14, 2013, 10:48:52 PM

You worry too much, you should encourage people to explore bitcoin's code and learn more about it. Yes, there will be a bunch of random clones, but there will also be people who will have new and innovative ideas.

The code is really not that complicated to learn for people who are willing to put forth the time and effort.

I think people should be able to freely clone and edit the source with as much ease as possible, it will encourage people to create niche coins for their own online websites and applications.

There's enough room online in the crypto world for more than just Bitcoin.

Exactly I can't wait to see an application you can just download and enter values into boxes then have a selection of coins to clone and click "create coin" then a share on facebook and twitter button

Everyone in the world would know how to make coins and people that were good with computers would all want to manipulate the codes
December 14, 2013, 10:46:31 PM

Tweaks on devcoin are the way to go
December 14, 2013, 10:45:55 PM
Yeah , people can explore the bitcoin node , and it's something they should do
But people shouldn't copy the code , replace bit with world cat beer junk , premine at least 20% , give 1% in giveaway on bitcointalk , and pay around 10 shills for support on the board.

Also , each coin is drawing hashpower from others , making all of them weaker.

Well, in that case it's really the exchange owners who are to blame for accepting bribes to put coins which offer nothing new on their exchanges...

But there's nothing wrong with John Doe who wants to make a coin and starts by doing a simple clone with only basic changes just to walk through the process once and learn what it is he is doing and how the program works, where all the functionality takes place and what will/won't break the program when it's messed with.

And I really don't care if it takes hashpower away from other networks, people should feel free to mine whatever they want, wherever they want, when ever they want. If a network can't stand up to a loss in hashing power then that coin was flawed to begin with.

Picture it in other way.

Chainjoes.com
December 14, 2013, 10:26:57 PM
But people shouldn't copy the code , replace bit with world cat beer junk , premine at least 20% , give 1% in giveaway on bitcointalk , and pay around 10 shills for support on the board.

Well, in that case it's really the exchange owners who are to blame for accepting bribes to put coins which offer nothing new on their exchanges...

But there's nothing wrong with John Doe who wants to make a coin and starts by doing a simple clone with only basic changes just to walk through the process once and learn what it is he is doing and how the program works, where all the functionality takes place and what will/won't break the program when it's messed with.

And I really don't care if it takes hashpower away from other networks, people should feel free to mine whatever they want, wherever they want, when ever they want. If a network can't stand up to a loss in hashing power then that coin was flawed to begin with.
December 14, 2013, 10:20:11 PM

You worry too much, you should encourage people to explore bitcoin's code and learn more about it. Yes, there will be a bunch of random clones, but there will also be people who will have new and innovative ideas.

Python is really not that complicated to learn for people who are willing to put forth the time and effort.

I think people should be able to freely clone and edit the source with as much ease as possible, it will encourage people to create niche coins for their own online websites and applications.

Chainjoes.com
December 14, 2013, 10:16:35 PM

The code is really not that complicated to learn for people who are willing to put forth the time and effort.

December 14, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Chainjoes.com
December 14, 2013, 10:05:29 PM
Just going to leave this here:

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=sha256_altcoin_cloning_guide&s[]=cloning#how_to_clone_sha256d_coins_for_fun_and_profit
December 14, 2013, 09:49:34 PM

I mean, yes, I'm hacking a first cut of this thing together, but actually launching it really sort of requires a team.  I'm gonna be hella busy, and may not be able to keep up or do a good enough job, if I launch it by myself.

If you actively communicate in other altcoin threads and announce your coin in the altcoin section then just casually mention your coin in conversation around the boards You will get a community around it that can help you with everything

You're probably right about that.  I've been not wanting to announce because I don't know yet when it'll be done.  But, I guess, I can throw a webpage up and put a URL and short message asking for volunteers in my signature.

Yeah If you have a good mission statement and everything people will be on board
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
December 14, 2013, 05:36:42 PM

I mean, yes, I'm hacking a first cut of this thing together, but actually launching it really sort of requires a team.  I'm gonna be hella busy, and may not be able to keep up or do a good enough job, if I launch it by myself.

If you actively communicate in other altcoin threads and announce your coin in the altcoin section then just casually mention your coin in conversation around the boards You will get a community around it that can help you with everything

You're probably right about that.  I've been not wanting to announce because I don't know yet when it'll be done.  But, I guess, I can throw a webpage up and put a URL and short message asking for volunteers in my signature.

December 14, 2013, 03:39:59 PM
Has anyone made a coin recently they want to let us know about?

I checked out the bitcoin source a couple weeks ago.

Done: .. colored coins...changed ports... distributed stock exchange...encrypted protocol messages for privacy...new graphics...updated the source code and build defaults to c++2011... changed the reward structure ...

Still to do: ... make "standard" coin denominations... coinjoins... proof-of-stake.. scaling ... "day blocks" that record the outstanding txouts....trading between different types of existing cryptocurrencies ...

I mentioned it mostly because I need help.  I'm an okay c++ developer although still learning my way around the "boost" framework (which btw doesn't easily work in c++2011 and will eventually need to be hacked out of the code), but websites, forums, promotions, etc, I have limited knowledge of and need help.  

A bug database is needed but I don't really have time to administrate it.  

More developers would be a real help, in terms of testing and being able to respond to new bugs rapidly.  Also there's the "more eyes" thing, meaning that when a developer gets a bug report, it may be profoundly non-obvious to her why that bug is happening and how to fix it.  But when more developers see the same bug report, it'll likely be obvious to *somebody*, because they were in the middle of that code last week or because they had to learn about how something worked in order to fix something else a month ago, or ....  Just the simple fact of getting more eyes on it means there's a way to respond to more bugs.  

Pages:
Jump to: