Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we prevent money laundering and assasinations? - page 6. (Read 17414 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

It was inevitable the preachy, intolerant mainstream would show up eventually I guess ... kind of sad never-the-less, they never fail to satisfy the stereotypes.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I vote for getting business that trade narcotics off the merchant list.

We do not want to promote that kind of thing on the official forum. Those who absolutely want to seek out that stuff, will be able to find it anyway.

Speak for yourself.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
I vote for getting business that trade narcotics off the merchant list.

We do not want to promote that kind of thing on the official forum. Those who absolutely want to seek out that stuff, will be able to find it anyway.

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
We should get a bounty started for campaign contributions, to Ron Paul, or similar.

Another idea would be to get a bounty started to donate to any congressman that will publicly accept donations in bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

The feds could start shutting down BTC trading merchants .... in America ... the rest of the world will be free to do what they want.

All US will be doing is cutting off its nose to spite its face. I'm picking that when push comes to shove they will leave it alone because in the end cutting yourself off from possibly the next big thing in global finance is economic suicide.

They may be bent, crooked, power-crazed facists but they are not that stupid (are they) to know which side their bread is buttered ... that's why the big criminals are the biggest campaign contributors. It will just be a shifting of the order.

We should get a bounty started for campaign contributions, to Ron Paul, or similar.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
I think the point is, if the powers that be want to shut down bitcoin, they will find an excuse to shut down bitcoin. Doesn't matter how squeaky clean we are. What we want to do is give them incentive to participate in bitcoin rather then shut it down. Above all else, Republicans don't want to die poor.

What we need are lobbyists. Maybe make campaign contributions with bitcoins somehow. Give them a vested interest in the network.

I see where the people that are afraid of a governmental shut down are coming from. If they can that is. Did Wikileaks go down? No, and yet it is a non profit group. What could they do to a whole economy then? Not to mention they'd have to track people down on Tor... or completely shut it down, which they still haven't done, given all the outstanding reasons for it.

Wikileaks is a much more resilient entity than Bitcoin may be.  all they're doing is disseminating info.   as i see it, BTC is an entirely different matter.  the point is to try an create a functioning economy based on trusted tx's worldwide using BTC as a new currency.  how well is that gonna work if the Feds start shutting down every merchant good or bad b/c the currency, BTC, is getting a bad rap for being the ideal vehicle for assasinations or laundering? 
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

I see where the people that are afraid of a governmental shut down are coming from. If they can that is. Did Wikileaks go down? No, and yet it is a non profit group. What could they do to a whole economy then? Not to mention they'd have to track people down on Tor... or completely shut it down, which they still haven't done, given all the outstanding reasons for it.

The demonization on wikileaks didn't work on the internet population. Sure there's lot of hatred, but there's also lot of support for it too.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
I think the point is, if the powers that be want to shut down bitcoin, they will find an excuse to shut down bitcoin. Doesn't matter how squeaky clean we are. What we want to do is give them incentive to participate in bitcoin rather then shut it down. Above all else, Republicans don't want to die poor.

What we need are lobbyists. Maybe make campaign contributions with bitcoins somehow. Give them a vested interest in the network.

legendary

The best way to fight them? Don't die.

If bitcoin don't die, we win, period. The only question is how much of the bitcoin community is willing to do bitcoin in the face of persecution.

I don't know how I am going to act when that time come.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
I guess you'll have to ban my site since it have articles on agorism and stuff like that. I am willing to accept a rebuttal on the articles though.  Wink

I even have a person writing an article on bitcoin Poker.

i don't know much about agorism but a quick scan of the Wiki page didn't invoke any negative sentiments on my part.  this may come down to what ones goals for BTC are. if agorists want to see an underground economy based on BTC then i suppose they would support drugs and money laundering.  i however would like BTC to become more mainstream and used and trusted by the average American.  i would like to see BTC become a lever to force the control of USD out of the hands of the Fed and give it back to the American ppl where it belongs.  so i'm not necessarily against the USD per say.  i'm against hows its being manipulated by the money changer elite.  i prefer order, not mad max.  i prefer stable currency, not boom bust cycles. 
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
yung lean

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
first they come for the assassinations, then they come for the pron, then they come for me.

Don't get caught up in the hype. Bitcoin is a tool. Many murders have been committed with baseball bats. Yet we can freely talk about baseball bats.

Baseball bat bought with USD from a Visa no doubt.
Activity: 334
Merit: 250
first they come for the assassinations, then they come for the pron, then they come for me.

Don't get caught up in the hype. Bitcoin is a tool. Many murders have been committed with baseball bats. Yet we can freely talk about baseball bats.
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
This makes no sense. Responsibility is one the users, not the tool.
While this is certainly true, there are people with (the) guns (of the state) that think otherwise.
Which makes the situation much more complicated than any of us would like.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

+1
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
This thread is absolutely pointless, and self incriminating.
It's like bitcoin carrying the original sin of being a disruptive technology.
I don't see Smith & Wesson or Glock with such a disclaimer on their sites.

Edited : I don´t see also Citibank making a money laundering disclaimer on it's site
http://www.workers.org/ww/2004/citibank0930.php

legendary
I personally wouldn't ban anything other than the obvious: payments for theft/violence/crime against people -there is a clear victim without much thought.

The rest is left to the consumer to decide if it's appropriate for their jurisdiction. I don't think we want this place to start policing everything.

For example: the wiki lists marijuana. There are places where the possession is tolerated/legal. The buyer determines if they are breaking the law, not the wiki. It would get way too hard for something as international as Bitcoin. Who's laws would you use?

Just put a legal disclaimer on the wiki.

"These drugs may be legal or not in your jurisdiction. It is up to you to determine their legality. "
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof
I personally wouldn't ban anything other than the obvious: payments for theft/violence/crime against people -there is a clear victim without much thought.

The rest is left to the consumer to decide if it's appropriate for their jurisdiction. I don't think we want this place to start policing everything.

For example: the wiki lists marijuana. There are places where the possession is tolerated/legal. The buyer determines if they are breaking the law, not the wiki. It would get way too hard for something as international as Bitcoin. Who's laws would you use?
Pages:
Jump to: