Pages:
Author

Topic: How does ancap deal with an oil spill? - page 3. (Read 5864 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 19, 2012, 05:53:28 PM
Why don't you summarize it for me instead?

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.

A link to the definition of communism is rather tiresome. It indicates your level of thinking has attained a high school level of political maturity. Thank you for proving my point.

Congratulations! You clicked a link! Good job!

Do you need some ice for that finger?

Now... click on that Mises one, and this time, try actually reading more than the title.

Maybe you'll even get a cookie!
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
July 19, 2012, 05:44:34 PM

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.

A link to the definition of communism is rather tiresome. It indicates your level of thinking has attained a high school level of political maturity. Thank you for proving my point.
Activity: 778
Merit: 1002
July 19, 2012, 05:17:35 PM

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.
July 19, 2012, 04:46:28 PM
It's good that you are still waiting. Patience. And yes, you can't solve the world's problems in a vacuum of knowledge. Who would think otherwise?

I know something you would love! http://tinyurl.com/9a6at

Oh yes, god forbid you click a link and read an article. Way too much work.

Roll Eyes
July 19, 2012, 04:41:42 PM
It's good that you are still waiting. Patience. And yes, you can't solve the world's problems in a vacuum of knowledge. Who would think otherwise?

Back to the issue at hand: economics and political theory need to factor in the fact that there are 7 billion people on this planet, not one million. The fact that you're arguing with me on this indicates a certain obtuseness on your part coupled with what I suspect is a somewhat starry eyed view of your political ideology.

Sorry, but I suggest you stop being an advocate for your own ignorance.
July 19, 2012, 04:29:54 PM

July 19, 2012, 04:29:20 PM
You can't propose solutions to problems which you don't have knowledge of.

You didn't actually read that speech I linked to, did you?

Let's try this again...

http://mises.org/daily/3229

Let's not.
July 19, 2012, 04:28:01 PM
You can't propose solutions to problems which you don't have knowledge of.

You didn't actually read that speech I linked to, did you?

Let's try this again...

http://mises.org/daily/3229
July 19, 2012, 04:27:18 PM
A good indication that you're out of your league would be if you are also not factoring in the following topics:

A good indication you have completely missed the point is that you are even trying to factor those topics. Read this: http://mises.org/daily/3229

It applies to more than just economics... in fact, there is very little it doesn't apply to.

Sorry, dude, but you're the one who doesn't get it. Discussion of AnCap and it's applicability to human society is nothing but philosophical masturbation by the sterile. You can't propose solutions to problems which you don't have knowledge of.

Still waiting on you to enlighten us in that other thread... Or are you too busy masturbating with us?

July 19, 2012, 04:13:02 PM
A good indication that you're out of your league would be if you are also not factoring in the following topics:

A good indication you have completely missed the point is that you are even trying to factor those topics. Read this: http://mises.org/daily/3229

It applies to more than just economics... in fact, there is very little it doesn't apply to.

Sorry, dude, but you're the one who doesn't get it. Discussion of AnCap and it's applicability to human society is nothing but philosophical masturbation by the sterile. You can't propose solutions to problems which you don't have knowledge of.

Still waiting on you to enlighten us in that other thread... Or are you too busy masturbating with us?
July 19, 2012, 04:08:06 PM

July 19, 2012, 03:30:22 PM

July 19, 2012, 02:59:07 PM
These "Protection agencies" would, for all intents and purposes, become governing bodies. They would have to decide on sets of "rules" for members to be bound by in arbitration... which would effectively become laws. You would pay these "Protection agencies" a "membership fee", which would effectively be a tax. They would fulfill all the useful roles of government, without out all the bloat. The most significant difference is we would all have a choice. Protection Agency A, Protection Agency B, Protection Agency z, no protection agency, etc....

The most honest answer to any of these "How does ancap deal with..." questions is "I don't know, and it doesn't matter". The point is not how we can force everyone to live a "better" life, but how naturally we can't force anyone to do anything. The government is an evil corporate monopoly, and should be put down.

Does everyone think discussion of protection agencies addresses the real issues here? It's like trying to design a 747 by discussing lavatory specs. A good indication that you're out of your league would be if you are also not factoring in the following topics:

- A total quantification of the damage done by an oil spill
- The real drivers behind oil consumption
- The safety protocols employed by oil companies
- Future projected oil demand due to the aspiring populations of certain nations
- Assessments of environmentally important areas
- Ocean currents
- Fish populations and food chains
- The range of fish (migration)
July 19, 2012, 02:57:38 PM
These "Protection agencies" would, for all intents and purposes, become governing bodies. They would have to decide on sets of "rules" for members to be bound by in arbitration... which would effectively become laws. You would pay these "Protection agencies" a "membership fee", which would effectively be a tax. They would fulfill all the useful roles of government, without out all the bloat. The most significant difference is we would all have a choice. Protection Agency A, Protection Agency B, Protection Agency z, no protection agency, etc....

The most honest answer to any of these "How does ancap deal with..." questions is "I don't know, and it doesn't matter". The point is not how we can force everyone to live a "better" life, but how naturally we can't force anyone to do anything. The government is an evil corporate monopoly, and should be put down.

Except that the defining factor of a tax is that it is compulsory. The modern tax system, as well, is designed so that it's nearly impossible for the individual to figure out how much, if anything, they owe. So the fees which one would pay to a protection agency, which are completely voluntary, and necessarily quite simple to understand, are nothing like taxes.
July 19, 2012, 02:39:55 PM

July 19, 2012, 12:56:32 PM
Next, simply replace federal funding with "protection agency" or "state" funding. I believe that paints an accurate picture of how the oil spill is funded.

Ehhh.... More like "private donations". Protection agencies don't, themselves, fulfill all the functions that governments typically take unto themselves, just the defense and a little bit of the enforcement of justice aspects.

But other than that, I'd say you have the right idea.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
July 19, 2012, 12:50:21 PM
(My take on this; note that I don't support ancap.)

When confronted with an issue that is presented in the form "What would ancap do if...", I tend to apply a simple strategy. First, answer the question "What would an American (could be replaced with any) society do if...". In this case, if an oil spill occurs, the cost is shared among many parties:

BP Oil Spill
BP: $37.2 B (some mandated, others willingly for image)
EPA (federal): ~$10 M
Pepsi, Dawn, etc. (commercial donations for image): $5.3 M
WWF, environmental organizations: $4.0 M

Next, simply replace federal funding with "protection agency" or "state" funding. I believe that paints an accurate picture of how the oil spill is funded.
July 19, 2012, 11:06:16 AM
I'll make this simple. I will resolve all disputes in exchange for 25% 10% of all your wealth and earnings. It is bargain. Of course I just know that one of you will undercut my generous offer by taking only 9%. But really, would you want such a cut-rate service? Act now, this offer is for a litmited time only.

I'll do it for a low, set fee. Wink
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
July 19, 2012, 10:41:09 AM
I'll make this simple. I will resolve all disputes in exchange for 25% 10% of all your wealth and earnings. It is bargain. Of course I just know that one of you will undercut my generous offer by taking only 9%. But really, would you want such a cut-rate service? Act now, this offer is for a litmited time only.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
July 19, 2012, 02:32:00 AM
Quote from: grantbdev
The Enlightenment view (or at least according to my reading of the works of Thomas Paine) of property is that initially the world's land and resources are in the commons. However, property comes into being when labor is used with land/resources. For a basic example, in the beginning of the world this forest belongs to no one human being, but if I chop down an area of the forest and build a house, that part of the land comes into the ownership of me because it was my labor that transformed that land.
Sounds similar to my views on property, I should read Thomas Paine, can you tell me in which book I find that?

The work in particular that I was referencing was a short pamphlet called Agrarian Justice (1797), which supported property taxes funding a universal basic income.

The work is based on the contention that in the state of nature, "the earth, in its natural uncultivated state... was the common property of the human race"; the concept of private ownership arose as a necessary result of the development of agriculture, since it was impossible to distinguish the possession of improvements to the land from the possession of the land itself. Thus Paine views private property as necessary, but that the basic needs of all humanity must be provided for by those with property, who have originally taken it from the general public. This in some sense is their "payment" to non-property holders for the right to hold private property.

You can probably find a free e-book of it (and his more popular works) but I really like this hardcover collection: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Paine-Collected-Writings-Pamphlets/dp/1883011035/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342679094&sr=8-4&keywords=thomas+paine
Pages:
Jump to: