Pages:
Author

Topic: How good is prune mode! - page 2. (Read 3516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
February 24, 2016, 08:06:25 PM
Does not work for me who constantly swapping wallet.dat
Activity: 821
Merit: 503
February 24, 2016, 04:32:38 PM
That was my problem, using my 5 year old wallet in a new prune node, only way around this (the only way to do this) use a full node data place your wallet.dat file load qt let it index all your txid's (like normal) shut down. Then enable prune mode. Basically prune mode makes a custom data folder just for your wallet. If you remove your wallet and reload prune qt, it will work ~ 2 weeks out but if you go past that you'll have to start all over. Best bet is to keep the wallet.dat and pruned data folder together and each time you run qt in prune mode make sure you keep the same wallet.dat file you started with. You cant resync in prune mode.

That or just make a new wallet.dat and keep using it. Basically the prune qt works in tandem with your wallet.dat they have to stay in sync ~ under 2 weeks together, else it wont work.. Due to you only having the last 2 weeks of blockchain data.

Or you can start from scratch place your wallet.dat file into a empty data folder and start from 6+ years ago. It loads ALOT faster through prune mode.

Hope this made a little sense Smiley

Icon

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
February 24, 2016, 03:27:31 PM
Bitcoin core = gods

yeah i was thinking about the fact that from now spv client are pretty much useless, you don't have the excuse anymore about the blockchain size and the ssd space that is insufficient

all other client are obsolete if you're not a retarded at securing your coins, still offline signing are useful, i don't remember but they are not possible with core
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
February 24, 2016, 03:17:05 PM
If I use the pruned block chain, and then I have a old wallet, how do I update the wallet.dat file?

You cant change the wallet file with a pruned node, you cant import keys into the existing file either. Well you can do both, but it would require you to start from scratch, download the entire chain, build your databases and prune the raw blockchain data as you go along.

to input a new privkey (EG a paperwallet ) requires starting from scratch each time?

any other work around, like disabling prune mode temporarily then enabling it again?

has anyone ran prune mode and then once pruned set it from 550 to 0 (disabling it) to see if it throws up errors, or if it just starts grabbing all data again, to allow people to get clogged up for an hour or less while they import privkeys and then enable prune mode again to then reprune whatever it grabbed in that hour..

rather than having to start truly from scratch?
Activity: 682
Merit: 269
February 24, 2016, 02:57:37 PM
Bitcoin core = gods
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
February 24, 2016, 02:54:23 PM
If I use the pruned block chain, and then I have a old wallet, how do I update the wallet.dat file?

You cant change the wallet file with a pruned node, you cant import keys into the existing file either. Well you can do both, but it would require you to start from scratch, download the entire chain, build your databases and prune the raw blockchain data as you go along.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
February 24, 2016, 02:47:52 PM
Your question doesn't make much sense. What do you mean with "old wallet"?
Activity: 195
Merit: 104
February 24, 2016, 02:46:30 PM
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
February 24, 2016, 02:29:49 PM
You can't help network, your online presence is not counting as a node.

Next time try to spend some time to read before typing. It's funny how braindead people can achieve "Hero member" status just by spamming posts.
copper member
February 24, 2016, 01:36:30 PM

When did you become someone that needs spoon feeding?

To recap, there are four types of data related to the blockchain in the bitcoin system: the raw blocks as received over the network (blk???.dat), the undo data (rev???.dat), the block index and the UTXO set (both LevelDB databases). The databases are built from the raw data.

Block pruning allows Bitcoin Core to delete the raw block and undo data once it's been validated and used to build the databases.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.11.0/doc/release-notes.md#block-file-pruning

i know i know as i said before, that the real definition of pruning was as you said..
but the 550mb has got alot of people into a pickle that it must cut out some of the UTXO (laymens:unspent) to get to a possible level of 550mb hard drive space.

it needs to be clarified better that the 550mb is not total hard drive storage allocation of everything related to the blockchain but the separate parts related just to recent data that can change. and not related to archival data of unspents.

it may be wrote down in some places as far back as 2013-4-5 when the term pruning first came about. but the 2016 info on the actual release has made some left in a pickle thinking v0.12 is not the same as the original definition of pruning

The quotes are one click away from the 0.12 released notes. If thats too much for "some" they can ask for help.

So actually running Bitcoin Core in prune mode is only beneficial for you if you want to cut disk usage and if you run out of space on your SSD or something.

But it still a great functionality nonetheless and I think this is the feature many of us find the most useful.

A pruned node is still a full (verifying) node, it just cant help others become full nodes.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
February 24, 2016, 01:16:18 PM
So actually running Bitcoin Core in prune mode is only beneficial for you if you want to cut disk usage and if you run out of space on your SSD or something.

But it still a great functionality nonetheless and I think this is the feature many of us find the most useful.

Do you people even take the time to read about things before claiming stuff? Right on this thread a couple of post above yours there is Gmaxwell himself explaining that you help the network by running a lite node so I don't know what you are talking about. How would it be useful if it still didn't help the network anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
February 24, 2016, 01:04:22 PM

legendary
February 24, 2016, 12:52:36 PM

To recap, there are four types of data related to the blockchain in the bitcoin system: the raw blocks as received over the network (blk???.dat), the undo data (rev???.dat), the block index and the UTXO set (both LevelDB databases). The databases are built from the raw data.

Block pruning allows Bitcoin Core to delete the raw block and undo data once it's been validated and used to build the databases.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.11.0/doc/release-notes.md#block-file-pruning

i know i know as i said before, that the real definition of pruning was as you said..
but the 550mb has got alot of people into a pickle that it must cut out some of the UTXO (laymens:unspent) to get to a possible level of 550mb hard drive space.

it needs to be clarified better that the 550mb is not total hard drive storage allocation of everything related to the blockchain but the separate parts related just to recent data that can change. and not related to archival data of unspents.

it may be wrote down in some places as far back as 2013-4-5 when the term pruning first came about. but the 2016 info on the actual release has made some left in a pickle thinking v0.12 is not the same as the original definition of pruning
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
February 24, 2016, 12:47:41 PM
If im not mistaken you need to download the entire blockchain the first time you run Bitcoin, to enable prune mode. So you are not saved from downloading the entire blockchain once, so someone that cannot run a node because he lacks space, will face the same problem... of course its cool to claim back extra space, but the ideal would be to not need to download the entire blockchain to run prune mode.

Is there something like this planned in the future or its considered impossible?
copper member
February 24, 2016, 12:39:56 PM
Please confirm that you understand this and realize your error now.

care to give Lauda a correction

and thank you for correcting that. can you also find a way to make this more aware in the literature etc as i know alot of people will have 2 comments
1. "if i can set it to store only 550mb of data, thats not enough for the unspents so something must get lost"
2. "why have i put it at 550mb default but my hard drive is showing 2gb"

making both people think what is the purpose of 550mb

try to make it clear that all unspents are available thus able to be used to validate transactions.. as from what i read about
"storing only 550mb of latest blocks" left alot of holes in what was actually happening. which we both know would make the node not able to fully validate if it didnt have full unspent data.

so try to make it clearer in the literature that the 550mb default is not the reality of data storage

legendary
February 24, 2016, 12:28:15 PM

care to give Lauda a correction

and thank you for correcting that. can you also find a way to make this more aware in the literature etc as i know alot of people will have 2 comments
1. "if i can set it to store only 550mb of data, thats not enough for the unspents so something must get lost"
2. "why have i put it at 550mb default but my hard drive is showing 2gb"

making both people think what is the purpose of 550mb

try to make it clear that all unspents are available thus able to be used to validate transactions.. as from what i read about
"storing only 550mb of latest blocks" left alot of holes in what was actually happening. which we both know would make the node not able to fully validate if it didnt have full unspent data.

so try to make it clearer in the literature that the 550mb default is not the reality of data storage but is the 'trigger' to enable pruning of spents. and as a separate thing (im presuming) to hold separately the latest data aswell incase of orphans/forks etc.

as its just not worked that clearly
staff
Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441
February 24, 2016, 12:11:03 PM
thats not what the original version of what prune mode was envisioned.
the original vision was to no longer keep spent data. but keep every unspent
Which is precisely what it does. All the information on unspent outputs is retained. This is why a pruned node set to keep 550 MB of the most recent blocks ends up needing about 2GB space currently.

if people dont have full history of unspents. then they cannot validate that a transaction is authentic.
why oh why do people think that making full node clients into crippled versions is a good thing. because fundamentally its not. if you want lite clients then download a lite client

stop trying to advertise that running in lite mode is better then sliced bread. if you want to say your a full node then dont cripple yourself or believe your still a full node after enabling such features
A pruned node is a full node, and does the same verification as a non-pruned node.

legendary
Terminated.
February 24, 2016, 11:43:18 AM
Yes, you need to get all blocks.
Yes, you relay new blocks and transactions (I remember telling you this, maybe there was a mix up).
You cant however relay old blocks and as they are needed for a pruned node with wallet you cant help others synching.
So essentially you keep relaying blocks and transactions but can't help others become a node of any sort? Now I understand it, and it does make sense.
copper member
February 24, 2016, 11:41:16 AM
No, you cant help anyone else become any form of node as a pruned node. You dont share old blocks and in order to become a pruned node all blocks must be downloaded and verified.

Interesting. It seems that I was wrong. I was under impression that it functioned so and actually thought that you're the one who told me this a while back. So essentially if you start fresh with setting for a pruned node you have to go through everything but only keep the latest X amount of blocks? What does a pruned node relay, or does it relay nothing?

Yes, you need to get all blocks.
Yes, you relay new blocks and transactions (I remember telling you this, maybe there was a mix up).
You cant however relay old blocks and as they are needed for a pruned node with wallet you cant help others synching.
legendary
Terminated.
February 24, 2016, 11:38:21 AM
No, you cant help anyone else become any form of node as a pruned node. You dont share old blocks and in order to become a pruned node all blocks must be downloaded and verified.

Interesting. It seems that I was wrong. I was under impression that it functioned so and actually thought that you're the one who told me this a while back. So essentially if you start fresh with setting for a pruned node you have to go through everything but only keep the latest X amount of blocks? What does a pruned node relay, or does it relay nothing?
Pages:
Jump to: