Pages:
Author

Topic: How Libertarianism was created by big business lobbyists - page 12. (Read 23958 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I never claimed to hold a strong opinion regarding global warming (even go back and check a year ago). I hold a strong opinion about using scientific consensus as an argument and believing what you read in the news.

Like any True Believer, he views any skepticism as an immediate acceptance of the opposing view.
Activity: 728
So then the literature actually doesn't matter, anecdotal evidence of looking at shit as you hike is much better?

You're a neuroscientist, or something like that. The authors of the papers you're reading know a little more than you about the subject matter you're studying. Not just data. They live in it. I have experienced it. I notice you didn't point out your experience with regard to it.

I'm not sure what you meant by that. I can think of many explanations for northward migration of some species (so the evidence for this is the most important thing?) one of which is warming. I can also think of many reasons why warming would not result in northward migration, which probably influence different species in different ways.

I have experience in looking at data and dealing with bias. I should say that after looking at a few more climate science papers these are much higher quality than the majority of biomed papers. Its hard to say much more than that without looking closer at the models and collecting the data myself ( as you say). I still see these damn p<.05 everywhere, and then future papers ignoring the uncertainty when quoting the results and incorporating the lesser models into their own larger ones, which makes me wary.

Now you're coming around to my side. Different migration rates result in a fracturing of ecosystem cascades. That also results in weakened ecosystem services.

Real life isn't like that. It matters how different, how fast, what else is around to fill a niche, etc.

I think you should read Edward O. Wilson's The Future of Life, maybe a book by John Terborgh, and a few others. And maybe you should go climb a fourteener. It's not all data and plots. Some context helps. A general understanding combined with lucid explanation and real world examples will make everything logically obvious.

Either way, this is not going to help me accept an argument from consensus.

That's not how the brain works, and you should know that. Context and experience influence our views. More importantly, I sincerely believe, given my discussion with you, that you are lacking proper context. You can't possibly believe that your observations of a few plots puts you in a position to grade the quality of your opinion very highly.

I never claimed to hold a strong opinion regarding global warming (even go back and check a year ago). I hold a strong opinion about using scientific consensus as an argument and believing what you read in the news.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
So then the literature actually doesn't matter, anecdotal evidence of looking at shit as you hike is much better?

You're a neuroscientist, or something like that. The authors of the papers you're reading know a little more than you about the subject matter you're studying. Not just data. They live in it. I have experienced it. I notice you didn't point out your experience with regard to it.

I'm not sure what you meant by that. I can think of many explanations for northward migration of some species (so the evidence for this is the most important thing?) one of which is warming. I can also think of many reasons why warming would not result in northward migration, which probably influence different species in different ways.

I have experience in looking at data and dealing with bias. I should say that after looking at a few more climate science papers these are much higher quality than the majority of biomed papers. Its hard to say much more than that without looking closer at the models and collecting the data myself ( as you say). I still see these damn p<.05 everywhere, and then future papers ignoring the uncertainty when quoting the results and incorporating the lesser models into their own larger ones, which makes me wary.

Now you're coming around to my side. Different migration rates result in a fracturing of ecosystem cascades. That also results in weakened ecosystem services.

Real life isn't like that. It matters how different, how fast, what else is around to fill a niche, etc.

I think you should read Edward O. Wilson's The Future of Life, maybe a book by John Terborgh, and a few others. And maybe you should go climb a fourteener. It's not all data and plots. Some context helps. A general understanding combined with lucid explanation and real world examples will make everything logically obvious.

That's not how the brain works, and you should know that. Context and experience influence our views. More importantly, I sincerely believe, given my discussion with you, that you are lacking proper context. You can't possibly believe that your observations of a few plots puts you in a position to grade the quality of your opinion very highly.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
OMG! Animals are walking downhill because of Global Warming (or maybe cooling. Is it Tuesday?)
How does the character of your statement show anything but your own resignation in this discussion?

We have given up hope of possibly educating you.  You are impervious to facts and reason.

You cling to ManBearPig ideology as stubbornly as any brainwashed cult victim.

If you can't or won't understand that ClimateGate completely destroyed your global scam, you are beyond help.

All that's left to do is have some fun by ridiculing you for being so ridiculous.

If this were the 1970s, you'd be one of the Chicken Little doomsayers screaming about the impending explosion of the population bomb and the oncoming Ice Age.

End Of The World cults always find plenty of mushheads to exploit.  There's one born every minute!

Still, it's nice to see Bitcoin is growing beyond the razor-sharp-but-tiny cryptonerd community, into the gullible Max Kremlin Occutard demographic.

Do you get out much? Have you ever hiked higher in altitude through biotic zones until you have gained the alpine zone above tree line? In doing so, have you observed the flora and fauna changes? What's the biggest altitude change you have experienced on foot where you can slowly and intimately observe the changes?

OMG! Animals are walking downhill because of Global Warming (or maybe cooling. Is it Tuesday?)

How does the character of your statement show anything but your own resignation in this discussion?

Dude, I was always resigned that there would be no reasonable discussion with you. You won't convince me, I won't convince you. I just couldn't let your assertions stand uncontested.

If you can't stand letting my assertions stand uncontested, then by all means, contest them. That's what I've been asking you to do, rather than make childish mocking noises and useless remarks about the count of lines in a post.

You're a neuroscientist, or something like that. The authors of the papers you're reading know a little more than you about the subject matter they're studying. Not just data. They live in it. I have experienced it. I notice you didn't point out your experience with regard to it.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Do you get out much? Have you ever hiked higher in altitude through biotic zones until you have gained the alpine zone above tree line? In doing so, have you observed the flora and fauna changes? What's the biggest altitude change you have experienced on foot where you can slowly and intimately observe the changes?

Dude, I was always resigned that there would be no reasonable discussion with you. You won't convince me, I won't convince you. I just couldn't let your assertions stand uncontested, particularly ones that are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question.
Oh also, in that cited paper, they are trying to make a connection between trophic mismatch and climate. Why did they not measure the temperature or precipitation or whatever that could be a proxy for climate? These seem like cheap and sensible things to measure. Oh wait, they did do that but couldn't even come close to finding a relationship:

To determine what abiotic conditions contribute to or
ameliorate trophic mismatch between caribou calving and
plant phenology, we used our nonlinear regression estimates
of the onset and progression of the season of plant growth.We
tested for relations between monthly mean temperatures and
monthly total precipitation, as well as average spring
temperature (the mean of temperature for the period March–
May) and total spring precipitation (the total of precipitation
for the period March–May). Weather data were obtained
from the station maintained in Kangerlussuaq by the Danish
Meteorological Institute. Although we recognize that
temperature and precipitation probably interact to influence
plant phenology and thereby trophic mismatch, the low
number of years of data we have did not lend themselves to
multiple regression analyses. Therefore, we report our results
as simple linear correlations.

Throughout the paper their relationships have p values of like .12, .07, or near .05. Using real statistics ( bayes factors) and a prior of 50/50 chance there is a relationship here, this corresponds to a minimum probability there is no relationship of somewhere between 10% and 20%. Which is interesting, but even then says nothing about any relationship to the climate and defiantly does not belong in a news article meant for public consumption like the one you posted.

And even so, warming will force habitat relocation northward in the northern hemisphere. I'm glad you're at least doing some reading.

I don't see how that follows from my critical reading of that paper.

It may not follow from your critical reading of the paper. However, I don't see how northward migration is dependent on one individual's critical reading of that paper. Can you explain to me why northward migration in the northern hemisphere would not naturally occur due to warming?

You are wading into territory which may be beyond you. Examine your position, your goals, and your experience with the subject matter.

So then the literature actually doesn't matter, anecdotal evidence of looking at shit as you hike is much better? I'm not sure what you meant by that. I can think of many explanations for northward migration of some species (so the evidence for this is the most important thing?) one of which is warming. I can also think of many reasons why warming would not result in northward migration, which probably influence different species in different ways.

legendary

OMG! Animals are walking uphill because of Global Warming (or maybe cooling. Is it Tuesday?)
LOL!

Dig deeper.

Been there, done that.  Took home the trophy for top debater.   Grin

Then how come you missed this one?
legendary
The Earth is warming though. There's not enough bad science to change that fact.

Citation please.  Or it didn't happen.  And if it did, blame the sun, not ManBearPig.

Pah, you expect us to pay any attention to right-wing nutjob websites like the BBC?
legendary
Central planning is the way forward, comrades. It only failed before because it wasn't done right. This time we shall surely prevail!

Da, tovarich!  We must all aid Comrade FirstAsscent in his glorious battle against the evils of capitalism and the bourgeois carbon dioxide menace.

Down with the wicked, imperialist sun!  Forward into the darkness!

legendary

Go peddle your scam somewhere else, nobody here is buying it.  Bitcoiners like increasing freedom, not giving the governments of the world more power and control.

I used to be like you, scared of ManBearPig and angry at mankind for not understanding how serial it all is.  Then I grew up!   Kiss
Oh also, in that cited paper, they are trying to make a connection between trophic mismatch and climate. Why did they not measure the temperature or precipitation or whatever that could be a proxy for climate? These seem like cheap and sensible things to measure. Oh wait, they did do that but couldn't even come close to finding a relationship:

Throughout the paper their relationships have p values of like .12, .07, or near .05. Using real statistics ( bayes factors) and a prior of 50/50 chance there is a relationship here, this corresponds to a minimum probability there is no relationship of somewhere between 10% and 20%. Which is interesting, but even then says nothing about any relationship to the climate and defiantly does not belong in a news article meant for public consumption like the one you posted.

And even so, warming will force habitat relocation northward in the northern hemisphere. I'm glad you're at least doing some reading.

It may not follow from your critical reading of the paper. However, I don't see how northward migration is dependent on one individual's critical reading of that paper. Can you explain to me why northward migration in the northern hemisphere would not naturally occur due to warming?

You are wading into territory which may be beyond you. Examine your position, your goals, and your experience with the subject matter.

Pages:
Jump to: