Pages:
Author

Topic: How Libertarianism was created by big business lobbyists - page 9. (Read 23958 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Perhaps my example was too simplistic. By 'program' I meant create and then unleash an autonomous system that would not be subsequently changed. This is analogous to AnCap's or Libertarianism's non-aggression principle, which someone once created, but now it always stays the same. To 'run' the NAP program you just follow simple instructions. The 'programmer' would be some philosopher who probably died long ago.
In that case, the morality of the action would rest with whoever or whatever created the autonomous system. Since the autonomous system is autonomous, it is not a moral agent. But I can program a robot police officer to shoot the innocent or shoot in defense. The former would be moral on my part and the latter immoral. It matters not that the automaton then executes the operations amorally.

Any moral agent who followed Libertarian principles would be acting morally or immorally because they would be choosing to follow those principles. Any automaton who followed them would be acting amorally, however the creator of that automaton could be acting morally or immorally. There is no requirement that moral *principles* be incapable of reduction to algorithms. (And if there were, it would be almost impossible to come up with any moral principles at all. "Thou shalt not kill" couldn't be a moral principle.)

However, you inadvertently allude to another point: the morality of "just following orders" (just like a good, obedient soldier.) Arguably it's actually worse if a human blindly follows someone else's code, than a computer (or human body-part) where at least there's a responsible person in charge. Thus my earlier criticism still stands that these people are wrong in choosing not to think. They are abdicating responsibility for their actions, and couching their actions in terms of "being morally righteous because XYZ philosopher said so, here's the link".
It's terrible if a human *blindly* follows someone else's code. Humans are moral agents and are responsible for the choices they make. They aren't automatons. But there's nothing inherently wrong with following a moral code if one has determined, to the best of one's ability, that that code is in fact moral and they are willing to change things if evidence points otherwise.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Thus my earlier criticism still stands that these people are wrong in choosing not to think.

What makes you think that we haven't examined these concepts down to first principles? Granted, some might not have, but I know I have, and found it to be a logically consistent and viable philosophy.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Secondly, Libertarian/AnCap morals don't seem like real morals. If you can turn it into a 'recipe' or 'principle' or "set of instructions", then you could train a non-understanding person or computer to follow those instructions correctly. Since a computer is not a conscious being, it is incapable of being either moral or immoral. Therefore it follows that these disciples' views are actually amoral.
This is a ridiculous argument. You might as well argue that if I punch you in the face, that's not immoral because my fist is not capable of acting morally. Computers are just like our fists -- they do what we tell them to do. They are not moral agents, but when we command them morally, then *we* are acting morally and when we command them immorally, then *we* are acting immorally. You are erroneously looking at the actions of the agent rather than the actions of the master that commanded the agent.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
It is a simple matter to trick illiterates from Myanmar into signing incomplete contracts. We do it every day. Grin

Hmm. Just doing some reading about why such desperate people would be coming out of Myanmar. Interesting so far. Guess which word beginning with "g" describes the reason?
LOL, they are coming to a country where g owns all the companies. "Singapore, Inc." is the State slogan.

That makes some sense when there is a lot of money to be had and the conditions are at least livable (I have known several Brits who spent a couple of uncomfortable years in Dubai and came back with their pockets stuffed with money). If you're living as a prisoner for a pittance and hanging off the outsides of a skyscraper cleaning windows with a rag and a spray-bottle, there's more to it. Myanmar currently has 90,000 internally displaced people and a large ethnic group that the government refuses to recognize as citizens (not illegal immigrants by my reading either). Plus a lot else besides.

There are good g's, bad g's, and g's that are simply amoral. Singapore, Inc. falls in the latter category.

Personally, I'd describe aspects of what you're telling me as downright evil.

The people doing business as "government"  in Singapore are fairly fucking evil, from what I've read that they do.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
It is a simple matter to trick illiterates from Myanmar into signing incomplete contracts. We do it every day. Grin

Hmm. Just doing some reading about why such desperate people would be coming out of Myanmar. Interesting so far. Guess which word beginning with "g" describes the reason?
LOL, they are coming to a country where g owns all the companies. "Singapore, Inc." is the State slogan.

That makes some sense when there is a lot of money to be had and the conditions are at least livable (I have known several Brits who spent a couple of uncomfortable years in Dubai and came back with their pockets stuffed with money). If you're living as a prisoner for a pittance and hanging off the outsides of a skyscraper cleaning windows with a rag and a spray-bottle, there's more to it. Myanmar currently has 90,000 internally displaced people and a large ethnic group that the government refuses to recognize as citizens (not illegal immigrants by my reading either). Plus a lot else besides.

There are good g's, bad g's, and g's that are simply amoral. Singapore, Inc. falls in the latter category.

Personally, I'd describe aspects of what you're telling me as downright evil.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

legendary

legendary
It is a reasonable question of exactly how far should you be able to contract and how enforcible it should be. Things like duress obviously negate contracts and competency to enter a contract is also a requirement. But after the fact of a contract entered purely voluntarily? Since I don't swing quite that extreme, it's something of an "angels on the head of a pin" argument for me but I am somewhat sympathetic to the AnCap position so I take an interest.

Again, though, it's down to the ability to enforce the contract. In this case, it appears to be the state in some cases doing the enforcing and in other cases, failing to enforce what laws there are (or, in the case of the lack of such law, the state designating a set of second class individual since I'm sure it would not be acceptable for its citizens to be treated this way).
I agree with Sisi. What is wrong with having bit of dirt on windows? Make it compulsory for employers of maids to buy work place insurance for them. Remember maids are someone's daughter's and sisters as well.
What do you think of compulsory insurance purchases? Reeks of Statism doesn't it.

Not if it's in the contract. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
Since we have been on the topic of examples of 'anarchist' societies and their longevity, I'm going to post this link here to an excerpt from a book that I've just recently learned about called The Starfish and the Spider.

http://www.starfishandspider.com/preview/16.html

It's not copy&pastable, so just start at the line, "By 1521..." and read about the structure of the Apaches and why the Spanish lost.
legendary
The contracts don't say anything about compensation for injury or death. They are pretty sparse. If you want to make such contracts illegal (more power to you), that is restrictive of markets. That is not ambiguous.

Here is a short article about compensation for death:
http://www.tnp.sg/content/compensate-maids-who-die-job

Apparently, the human rights groups are calling for employers to compensate maid's families when they die on the job. That is not in the contract though. Tough cookies.  Embarrassed
Maids are not covered under worker's compensation law in Singapore.

Should that be changed? Should we bring more workers under the scope of State protection? I'm glad that's what you are arguing for. Maybe you have a few brain cells after all.

One of the facebook comments:

I agree with Sisi. What is wrong with having bit of dirt on windows? Make it compulsory for employers of maids to buy work place insurance for them. Remember maids are someone's daughter's and sisters as well.
What do you think of compulsory insurance purchases? Reeks of Statism doesn't it.
What are you talking about? Poor treatment is one of the contract terms, see above. Forcible repatriation is legal and is in the contract.
High-risk window cleaning is legal and is in the contract. No time off ever is legal and is in the contract.
What about the mats on the floor? Is that in the contract?

Welcome to Libertarian paradise.

So the maids or their families are paid restitution if/when they get injured or killed as a result of their employment?

No, that's not in the contract silly. I thought libertarians enforced contracts. You just want to make up phony laws about restitution. Restrict markets. You fucking Statist you!

Making whole those you injure is hardly restrictive of markets. It's also part-and-parcel of the NAP. You harm someone, you have to make that right. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of one of these contracts we could look at? You're making a lot of claims about what is and is not in there, and some proof would be appreciated.
legendary

So the maids or their families are paid restitution if/when they get injured or killed as a result of their employment?

No, that's not in the contract silly. I thought libertarians enforced contracts. You just want to make up phony laws about restitution. Restrict markets. You fucking Statist you!

But I'm exaggerating, you do have to provide medical care if injury is detected before you can successfully repatriate them. That's state law though.

In China they have good compensation for injury, but not death. Thus if you run someone over with your car, it is optimal to do a double tap. I can link to CCTV videos of this if you would like.

I don't think I am as confident about the fundamental goodness of humanity as you are. If people are really poor compared to you, they start to seem like animals and you treat them as such.

legendary
When I arrived, I spoke with Mr Peter Ng, the owner of A Team Repatriation Services, and he told me that the workers were being terminated because they had ‘attitude’ problems. The workers were all huddled together in a room with mats on the floor for them to lie on. They could move about freely in the premises but were not allowed to leave it. When he refused to let them out even after I had negotiated with him, I decided to call the police for assistance.
The Police and the Ministry of Manpower Respond
When our boys in blue arrived, they laughed at me and said that this company was operating a legitimate business.

It looks like the issue here is the poor treatment of the workers, not the terms of their employment.

What are you talking about? Poor treatment is one of the contract terms, see above. Forcible repatriation is legal and is in the contract.
High-risk window cleaning is legal and is in the contract. No time off ever is legal and is in the contract.

legendary
Cunicula, which parts of the contract are you referring to specifically?

You can learn about the employment relationship by visiting a maid company website.  

http://www.eck.com.sg/web/faq.html

This part is LOL funny.
18. Can I ask my MAID to clean my windows? I live on the 13th floor. Can cleaning windows be justly considered a domestic chore?

Perhaps yes, perhaps no.

But is it worth arguing if one outcome of this obsession with clean windows may be the death of a young woman in the prime of her life? On August 3, 1999, The Straits Times reported "Maid falls 13 floors and dies".
On June 26, 2001 The Straits Times published a photo submitted by a Singaporean woman showing a maid precariously perched on the window sill six storeys above the ground. A fall from the 3rd storey will certainly kill. A fall from the 2nd storey may not always lead to death, but it may incapacitate the victim for the rest of her life.

I love how they describe the working conditions, but then part of their answer is "perhaps yes". At least the human life vs. clean windows trade off is "worth arguing" about.
When I arrived, I spoke with Mr Peter Ng, the owner of A Team Repatriation Services, and he told me that the workers were being terminated because they had ‘attitude’ problems. The workers were all huddled together in a room with mats on the floor for them to lie on. They could move about freely in the premises but were not allowed to leave it. When he refused to let them out even after I had negotiated with him, I decided to call the police for assistance.
When our boys in blue arrived, they laughed at me and said that this company was operating a legitimate business.

It looks like the issue here is the poor treatment of the workers, not the terms of their employment.
legendary
If the story was that workers who tried to leave their employers houses were being rounded up and imprisoned by private security companies, that would be a different story but apparently, it isn't.
Actually, that is close to what happens. However, runaways are typically forcibly repatriated rather than returned to their employers.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/repartriation-companies-manpower-ministers-response-belittles-the-efforts-of-migrant-workers/

"A Team Repatriation Services"
I can almost hear the "A Team" theme song. Wouldn't it be sweet if Mr T was on the payroll?
legendary
Cunicula, which parts of the contract are you referring to specifically? Likely there are some aspects that would be acceptable and some that would not and possibly some gray areas that would be subject to common sense.

Balahdeblah, Breaking a contract is typically a civil matter. In theory there could be criminal actions involved. However, it wouldn't be possible for someone to write in to your contract that if you didn't polish the silverware sufficiently, you could be arrested for rape. Clearly this is an example of government stepping over its correct role.

If the story was that workers who tried to leave their employers houses were being rounded up and imprisoned by private security companies, that would be a different story but apparently, it isn't.
legendary
To reiterate, the servant cannot legally leave the master's house without permission.

This, right here, is a large part of the problem from what you have described.

The lack of a robust State to maintain pesky "pro little people" laws, which would introduce distortions into the Libertarian economy?

"To reiterate, the servant cannot legally leave the master's house without permission. "

Who, exactly, makes things legal and illegal?

The servant signed a contract to work 24/7/365*3. The servant cannot leave a house unless instructed to do so without permission. That would be refusal to work, a contract violation. Penalty for contract violation is to forfeit your bond to the employment agency. Typically about 6 months - 1 years' back wages. It is all in the voluntary contract signed by the servant of course.

Contracts like this are illegal in the United States, but legal in Singapore.

Does protection of rights to enter into bonded servitude advance individual rights? Or are these voluntary contracts similar to slavery?
Pages:
Jump to: