Pages:
Author

Topic: How long have you been mining & what is your current hash rate? (+ bonus Q's) - page 2. (Read 9192 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
I'm still fairly a noob at this, but all the talk about the boom in BTC at the end of the year got my hopes up that it would be a good investment. Due to a low income, anything would help. Using my credit cards I've invested about $2500 in building these rigs Bought a 37GHs ASIC rig on Ebay which mines about $11 of BTC per day, I have it connected to an old homebuilt Mac-mini-type (mini ITX)  low-wattage box (now with Ubuntu) which only runs the terminal window, and I hope to get an 80 GHs rig when Advanced Miners get their act together and starts shipping. I have another 2 boxes for scrypt mining, one I built 3 years ago and only had a PCIe v 1.0 slot, but I was able to find a new GPU for $200 that will do about 420KHs. The second one is a new box I built about 2 1/2 weeks ago with an R9 280X that does over 700 KHs. These two also net about $11 a day on 1100MHs. I also gradually invested in about $600 of BTC paying cash when it was low, so made 20% profit on that by buying when the price was lower. So all told, I've earned about $500 since Christmas, but didn't get it all up and running until about 2 weeks ago.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
Off and on since 2010... started with whatuever MH/s my old laptop did with stock bitcoind, stopped for a year or so and completely forgot about bitcoin, only to jump back in with ~800MH/s of GPUs

Current hash rate of around 800GH/s
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Total hobbyist here with no delusions about getting rich from it! Started off QRK mining just as it was exploding at the end of November and tried a few GPU coins along the way since then (6950)
I had a spare Pi and spotted the Adafruit display article, so just couldn't resist getting one of those and a few USB miners to go along with it.
As much as I'd love to spend a couple of grand on tech for mining, I just can't justify it, as I realise I'm way too late to the party at this stage... I'd rather just spend it on BTC at the next drop.

*Bonus question #1: What equipment is ordered but not implemented?
A Red Fury, which was originally supposed to be used with my Pi, but I got screwed around on delivery dates and ended up getting some antminers instead. (I'd say I'll just sell the Red Fury on eBay as soon as it arrives, as the going rate at the moment is almost twice what I paid for it)

**Bonus question #2: Are you in a pool? Which one?
BTC Guild. I've been trying other coins along the way, though.
Activity: 77
I'm in pretty deep. I still maintain that I'm in it for the hobby but I have spent alot on miners on eBay. I just wanted FULL coins to play with so I dropped quite a bit on about 400Ghs of various BFL devices and Avalon devices. Currently I'm around 340Ghs right now with one more 60Ghs on its way via FedEx and THAT'S IT!! Unless I can off my gaming PC I might by another or I have been toying with the idea of using it for some scrypt minig. I've been at it only for a few weeks with my first week also being just experimenting with my gaming GPU. As far as pools, I started with slush but so many glitches with payouts drove me to check out BTC Guild where it seems much more stable. It has been a HUGE learning curve for me though and I have not been able to keep all my miners going due some weird thing that always seems to happen. I have only really been mining with the big machines for 1 week and with all sorts of various issues to work out I've managed about .82 BTC. Hopefully when I get that 60Ghs, I'll get them all up and at 400Ghs and will have my glitches resolved and I can keep them up for a good run. I never expect to get my ROI, I just wanted to have some fun and get some full coins to play with. The way these things sell on eBay I'm tempted to think I can still get half my money back out of these things in about 3 or 4 months when I have gotten hopefully around 5 BTC or so. We'll see how it goes.
legendary
Activity: 1146
Current hash rates and BTC avg's per day pls.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
I'm now up to ~217gh/s (according to pool API stats), inventory is:
1 BFL Jally (7.5)
9 USB eruptors
10 V2 Blades
3 Cubes

Now I need to just stop spending BTC on group buys and just let it mine for a while...
Activity: 434
3 weeks

52gh/s

(technically 4 weeks, but the GPU mining was just a test)

Just curious.

-->I have another blade on the way.

-->Slush

I started mining in like may.  I have 280 GH now and its awesome getting the BTC steady income but dude.  I should have taken the money I spent on the piece of shit and bought bitcoin.  I'd be richer today.

Join slush's pool.  Slush is a genius and his pool is no frills. It's nice.

Slush actually introduced the concept of pooled mining.  He was met with opposition but he understood it all.  Slush IS the shit.

Yeah but through mining you avoid all the psychological baggage that comes with the specific cost basis when trading. I had a stock just post a 110% gain after moving sideways for two months. The decision to hold, close, or just trim a portion was very stressful. After all these years it's never gets easier for me to close when my targets hit. Much easier to dump losers, I enter all my trades with a target exit price but it doesn't make the decision any easier... So if you bought BTC at $50 what are the chances you would have held all the way to $1,000? I know I'd probably have dumped out too early to "lock in the win"- nothing worse than watching a winner turn into a loser, but watching something continue higher the day following a sale sucks almost as much. What I enjoy about mining is that it's just plain interesting, but also it makes cost basis seem completely irrelevant. My position feels more long-term without the added pressure on timing the market for a specified gain or fear of not recognizing a sell-off only to be stuck holding an empty bag later. We've got our gear, we pay a little extra to the electric company, and we build a BTC position built up steadily over time; something I kinda prefer about that arrangement.

This. I day traded BTC a bit at first, but I couldn't keep up with it, just like with stocks. I have a full time job and a family, and while I can slack off a bit at work, I can't constantly keep up with what's happening, so trading is a pretty risky strategy for me. I've found my happy spot is with mining group buys. Make some BTC's, let someone else handle the stress of managing the hardware, occasionally reinvest my profits, and relax.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
Nice, yeah Cubes came down quite a bit in price, mine's been solid so far. Beware though, those little cubes add significant heat to a room, way more than I expected. My wife keeps saying how hot in here it is, pretty sure when my next cube arrives she's gonna be pissed lol... But then if BTC goes back over $1k she'll ease up Wink Oh yeah, and be sure to open them up and tighten all the heatsinks, you don't want to have a loose one a fry it.

CrazyGuy is selling cubes for .89 BTC right now.

Thanks for letting me know about the heat.  If that's the case I'll probably put them in my unheated basement for the duration of the winter.

How do you like those BlueFuries? I heard they don't play nicely with some configurations. Was considering them for my RaspberryPi running Minepeon, but I really don't want to order anything that isn't compatible. I have 9 of those little Block Erupters and they just worked right out of the box, super easy. If I can get some indication on the BlueFury setup compared to Eruptors it would be helpful, can you provide any insights?
I haven't used them with a Pi, or any Linux for that matter.  I've not had any problems though.  On Windows with BFGMiner you can't let the software autodetect the BlueFuries if you're also running USB Eruptors, the detect methods conflict.  So I have to specify each Eruptor and BlueFury by port manually.  I never did have much luck with CGMiner.

I understand there were some build quality issues with them, sometimes their performance varies.  I have one that does 2.45 GH and the other only does 2.02 GH.  You might check out the Blue Fury Support Thread.  I'm sure I've seen posts about using them with Pi.
Mining since mid-August.  Started with one USB Block Erupter, quickly got 5 more, then 2 Jalapenos, then 2 BlueFuries.  Current hardware total:  21GH.

Started pointing the hardware at CEX.IO / GHash.IO and reinvested mining income into CEX.  Got up to 26 GH on CEX then sold most of it to buy 2 Block Erupter Cubes yesterday.  When they arrive, I should have just under 100 GH in hardware.  Probably point the lot at CEX/GHash again and start building that back up again.

Nice, yeah Cubes came down quite a bit in price, mine's been solid so far. Beware though, those little cubes add significant heat to a room, way more than I expected. My wife keeps saying how hot in here it is, pretty sure when my next cube arrives she's gonna be pissed lol... But then if BTC goes back over $1k she'll ease up Wink Oh yeah, and be sure to open them up and tighten all the heatsinks, you don't want to have a loose one a fry it.

How do you like those BlueFuries? I heard they don't play nicely with some configurations. Was considering them for my RaspberryPi running Minepeon, but I really don't want to order anything that isn't compatible. I have 9 of those little Block Erupters and they just worked right out of the box, super easy. If I can get some indication on the BlueFury setup compared to Eruptors it would be helpful, can you provide any insights?
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
Mining since mid-August.  Started with one USB Block Erupter, quickly got 5 more, then 2 Jalapenos, then 2 BlueFuries.  Current hardware total:  21GH.

Started pointing the hardware at CEX.IO / GHash.IO and reinvested mining income into CEX.  Got up to 26 GH on CEX then sold most of it to buy 2 Block Erupter Cubes yesterday.  When they arrive, I should have just under 100 GH in hardware.  Probably point the lot at CEX/GHash again and start building that back up again.
3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

You work for the IRS?

Just looking to see how I stack up against the general population here. I wish someone could publish info on average miner speed per user, expenses, and income- to see the data on a time-series plot would be interesting. From what I know parts of this info only exists on a high-level, would be easy math to divide by the number of people mining if that data is available.
Just wanted to update, my total gh/s is around 138gh/s now... Wife is complaining a lot that the apartment is hot, pretty sure she is giving my setup the stink-eye  Roll Eyes

Activity: 434
Merit: 251
I have been mining for a bit over a year now but have stopped mining BTC before the big diff jump but im still mining scrypt coins and will continue with that for the next year or two. When i was mining BTC i used slush's pool and had 35 gh/s there. had a few blades and usb miners.
Activity: 70
3 weeks

52gh/s

Just curious.

-->Slush

You work for the IRS?
Mining scrypt for 1+ years 80KH/s - 20KH/s  Tongue

SHA-256 mining for 6 months. At my peak was mining at 3.1 GH/s, with block erupters. Decided to ebay these block erupters as I bought them for $7 and sold them for $50. My plan was to reinvest and buy a blad or 2 with that profit only to watch the price of blade double as well. $500 for a blade....hmmm just cant do it.

You can find deals on blades but it is tough, and the definition of a "deal" is defined relative to the inflated pricing on Ebay. 0.38BTC blades are available on a group buy right now, anything on Ebay with a "buy it now" under $400 sells very fast but it does happen if you watch it enough. Since the Cube is going for $1,100 anything over $400 per blade is hard to justify, but somehow demand is being met at higher prices.
I've got another 50gh/s on the way, combo of blades and a cube. Managed to find a pair of deals that didn't last long and jumped, bought a bit more than planned... I should be up to 110gh/s total by the weekend if everything ships fast. From there I will do my best to resist upgrading for a while.

EDIT: Correction... add another 2 blades to that. I'm up to 82gh/s with the two that arrived today, with a cube and two more blades on the way; should put me ~130gh/s in a few days. After the new orders arrive I plan on freezing for a bit and seeing how it goes, kinda been deal-hunting and adding hardware each week, need to back off and see how it goes for a while.
Activity: 784
1 Overclocked BFL LS ------ 36Ghs
1 Overclocked BFL Jally ---- 8.5 Ghs
12 USB Erupters ------------ 4 Ghs

Mining since late August, was hashing .25 a day then, .025 currently... My miners made less than 1% of my coins, but I love them!
Activity: 29
mined years ago using cpu/gpu and recently got back into it.

Originally I used Red Fury's and then upgraded to some Block Erupter blades.

I am currently doing approx 21 gh/s.

I have 1 X-1 on order....not much ROI with nextgen ASIC equipment so not really investing any $$$ in mining at the moment.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
1NtkLdA98eGnsn8nEKpBGRd2VYGNBkGzd6
Better round times... If you know a better pool, let me know.

What do faster round times make them better? Just more consistent payments but overall its pretty much the same, on top the fees are higher on BTCguild then Slush's.

Activity: 10
Better round times... If you know a better pool, let me know.
Pages:
Jump to: