Pages:
Author

Topic: How many addresses do you think the average bitcoin user has? - page 5. (Read 7051 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!
If you include all the addresses I had on various exchanges, I have probably used at least 250-300.

Well I didn't count my addresses on exchange sites because I don't consider them part of my wallet.

I suppose that's true since the address might be yours, but the wallet still belongs to the exchange. I would still technically consider them as my BTC addresses. Without them I would say I used roughly 100+ addresses.

You've got that right. It could be considered your address in exchange's wallet.

No matter how much security an exchange offers, it always makes me uneasy keeping my coins there for an extended period of time. Nothing beats having your own wallet.

Well I don't keep anything on my address on exchange site. I find it unreliable to hold any amount of money for a long period of time.

Yeah between the thefts, technical problems and some exchanges simply going under, it really is unreliable. Recently I got a stupid negative balance error on Cryptsy and they wouldn't let me withdraw anything for over a week before they finally fixed it. Spend days wrestling with their "support", had me really worried.

That's what am I talking about. You could get yourself in some problems for no reason at all. Most of the times all those problems will be solved in your favor but you don't need that stress caused by it.
Activity: 294
If you include all the addresses I had on various exchanges, I have probably used at least 250-300.

Well I didn't count my addresses on exchange sites because I don't consider them part of my wallet.

I suppose that's true since the address might be yours, but the wallet still belongs to the exchange. I would still technically consider them as my BTC addresses. Without them I would say I used roughly 100+ addresses.

You've got that right. It could be considered your address in exchange's wallet.

No matter how much security an exchange offers, it always makes me uneasy keeping my coins there for an extended period of time. Nothing beats having your own wallet.

Well I don't keep anything on my address on exchange site. I find it unreliable to hold any amount of money for a long period of time.

Yeah between the thefts, technical problems and some exchanges simply going under, it really is unreliable. Recently I got a stupid negative balance error on Cryptsy and they wouldn't let me withdraw anything for over a week before they finally fixed it. Spend days wrestling with their "support", had me really worried.

Activity: 639
Merit: 500
5-6 would be my guess for the casual user. I don't see why they will need more active addresses.

Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
I think some really do have only a single one that they control. But others may accumulate more and more... 20? 30? I guess many also don't re-use them and do have hundreds of addresses! It's not as if we're running out of them anytime soon Wink

I have only 6 addresses in my wallet. I didn't know that it is advised to change address for each transaction. And from now on I will use different address for every transaction I will receive. I'm glad I know that now Smiley
Activity: 644
Merit: 260
The average bitcoin user in my opinion could have about 50 addresses.
This takes into account the smart ones, with hundreds or thousands, and the newbie users with only 1 address.
I myself have only had about 5 or 6.... my first of course still has 50-60 BTC in it but noooo I had to wipe my drive when bitcoins were at like 10 cents.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
Wow, seems like everyone is in the 100+ range for the most part. For anyone asking about security issues from only using a few addresses- you should really only use 1 address per transaction. You don't want other people to have the ability to snoop around and see all of your funds moving around. I'm honestly suprised one of the millions of coins that have been created hasn't come up with a logical way to deal with the security issue of re-using addresses

I agree with you.
For the security purpose it seems like very wise idea to do.
It's not problem to create many Bitcoin addresses but for some people this will not be convenient.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Wow, seems like everyone is in the 100+ range for the most part. For anyone asking about security issues from only using a few addresses- you should really only use 1 address per transaction. You don't want other people to have the ability to snoop around and see all of your funds moving around. I'm honestly suprised one of the millions of coins that have been created hasn't come up with a logical way to deal with the security issue of re-using addresses
Activity: 252
I am looking for a dev!
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
There is a site which actually keep track of this information.

Last I checked, over 90% of the wallets have less than 10 btc.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
I have gone through 12 core wallets, 6 online wallets and 6 alt client wallets.  The core wallet alone would be 1200 addresses but of those probably not more than 50 receives were used.

Do exchange addresses count as mine since I have over 20 of those  Tongue
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I had 14 addresses, 8 of them have 0 transaction and 0 balance.  Grin
I didn't know why did i generate new address.
Activity: 563
Merit: 501
S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's
I make/use a new one every few trades. I remember trying to create vanity addresses with some alt crypto's so add those and I got a lot.
Pages:
Jump to: