Pages:
Author

Topic: How profitable are exchanges? - page 5. (Read 15755 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
August 09, 2014, 12:39:50 PM
Altcoin exchanges are very very profitable for the people running it, because after 4-8 months, they get "hacked" and shut down. No questions asked :p
I don't think this so much has to do with the profitability of the exchanges but rather the amount of coins stored on these types of exchanges. I think a lot of people like to trade altcoins in a "day trading" fashion and as a result keep their coins on the exchanges. This results there being more coins on the exchange then there really should be.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
August 09, 2014, 12:16:35 PM
Altcoin exchanges are very very profitable for the people running it, because after 4-8 months, they get "hacked" and shut down. No questions asked :p
Yeah, it used to happen with bitcoin exchanges too, but bitcoiners cry too loudly whan that happens...  Tongue
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
August 09, 2014, 10:39:00 AM
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
August 09, 2014, 07:46:40 AM
Exchanges get a lot of fast and easy cash so this cash flow help them even if they mis manage or lose money but who knows if they have enough to pay back all balances?
Activity: 350
'Slow and steady wins the race'
August 03, 2014, 03:34:32 AM

I haven't dealt much with the BTC exchanges so I don't know what data a user can actually see.

most exchanges offer information about the trade volume (and the trade volume for different time frames -> a day, a week, a month...)
I would speculate that exchanges could potentially sell this kind of data to subscribers some time in the future in a similar manner that exchanges like the NYSE and nasdaq sell their exchange data.

this could indeed be an additional stream of income for current/future exchanges.

At least for the exchange bitfinex there is a large website dedicated to all kinds of data:
bfxdata.com
Who is behind this website? If it is anyone other then bitfinex then the operator is likely taking advantage of bitfinex data (currently free) to somehow profit.
Activity: 252
August 01, 2014, 05:27:33 AM

I haven't dealt much with the BTC exchanges so I don't know what data a user can actually see.

most exchanges offer information about the trade volume (and the trade volume for different time frames -> a day, a week, a month...)
I would speculate that exchanges could potentially sell this kind of data to subscribers some time in the future in a similar manner that exchanges like the NYSE and nasdaq sell their exchange data.

this could indeed be an additional stream of income for current/future exchanges.

At least for the exchange bitfinex there is a large website dedicated to all kinds of data:
bfxdata.com
July 31, 2014, 10:14:28 PM

Activity: 252
July 27, 2014, 03:59:09 AM

Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
July 27, 2014, 03:51:48 AM
Is it possible to see the difference between the bid and the offer for an order? That spread is going to the exchange. And their overhead is rather low and the transaction volume is high, so I'd guess there's plenty of profit for them. The benefit to us is that we need the service and the spread is very small per transaction...they make profit on the volume.

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
July 25, 2014, 09:51:55 PM
The profit is very big

Example (BTC-E) :

24 hour volume : 1771 BTC
fee : 0,2%

24 hour fee : 1771 * 0,2% = 3.542

1 BTC = 615 USD
1 month fee : 3.542 * 30 * 615 USD = 65349 USD

Sorry, if my calculation is wrong  Embarrassed
You forgot to include expense like their employees and servers and hosting.
July 25, 2014, 09:20:44 PM
PS. I must point out that I am not a trader, so figuring out ways in which exchange owners could cheat on their clients is merely a curious puzzle for me.  Exchange owners have much stronger motivations, so they surely will find much "better "solutions to that puzzle.

One way to find such solutions in to read the laws and SEC regulations that apply to the operation of ordinary stock exchanges.  Every practice that is prohibited by them must be a proven way to unfairly take money from customers; so one can bet that the bitcoin exchange owners are doing it.
Hey, this is copy-paste of a post of mine!  A robot trying to bump his post count?
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
July 23, 2014, 08:43:53 AM
Don't forget owners who operate an exchange that turn scammer will have a permanent marker on their forehead.

How do people find out who they are?
July 22, 2014, 03:48:21 PM
Don't forget owners who operate an exchange that turn scammer will have a permanent marker on their forehead.
In the case of BTC-e, it is not known whether the owners have foreheads.  Cheesy

He was referring to the movie where the special forces team go into Germany and capture Naizis, they kill most of them, but they usually let one go, but before they do they use a knife to draw the nazi sign on their forehead, giving them a permanent scar
Oh.  But, as far as I know, that hasn't happened to a singe one of the many exchange-owners-turned-thieves.  AFAIK, the only such case where justice may be done was in China, where the police arrested the culprits.  Have there been any others?

And, last time I checked, no one knew who the owners of BTC-e were.  That may complicate the revenge plans a bit.
July 22, 2014, 03:16:12 PM
In the case of BTC-e, it is not known whether the owners have foreheads.  Cheesy

He was referring to the movie where the special forces team go into Germany and capture Naizis, they kill most of them, but they usually let one go, but before they do they use a knife to draw the nazi sign on their forehead, giving them a permanent scar
July 22, 2014, 12:37:37 PM
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
July 22, 2014, 12:12:58 PM
I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 
That may not be a big item in the budget of that particular exchange, I suppose.  Wink

Are there companies that offer customer identity verification services for other businesses?

There probably are but the exchanges still need to pay for this if they outsource it or if they do it in house.
Activity: 152
July 22, 2014, 12:10:35 PM
July 22, 2014, 12:03:17 PM
I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 
That may not be a big item in the budget of that particular exchange, I suppose.  Wink

Are there companies that offer customer identity verification services for other businesses?
Activity: 406
July 22, 2014, 11:37:37 AM
The profit is very big
Example (BTC-E) :
1 month fee : 3.542 * 30 * 615 USD = 65349 USD

I see no mistake in the calculation; but that is the revenue, not profit.  Considering that they have to pay salaries an other expenses, the profit from fees may be ratehr modest.
I agree, I think that much of most exchanges' revenue is paid on salaries of their employees. I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 
Activity: 153
July 22, 2014, 08:52:46 AM
The most profitable exchanges are the one that run away with all the money (mtg).
Pages:
Jump to: