Pages:
Author

Topic: How secure are you when unknown user chats you up? - page 2. (Read 810 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 472
Humanity, my Religion.
The high rate of crime and scams in the world has made everyone to be security conscious. I remember receiving a chat from my lecturer and she didn't introduce herself properly. She started asking for my details so that they can be used for some official purpose in school. I responded very rudely and cut the phone. She had to call back because she knew I can't be that rude to her. This time she introduced herself ad I apologized to her. Now I have learned to be patient with stranger or strange numbers but I know my limits. Immediately they start asking for personal details or cannot give a concise and genuine reason for contacting me, that's the end of the communication.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 296
I am aware of these issues. There are some unknown Telegram members who send me PM messages from time to time and claim themselves as CEOs or managers of various companies. And at first he tries to know about my personal things like what is my name?, what do I do?, what country do I live in and all that. And after knowing these things he offers me various jobs and at first he doesn't mention any money but later after talking for some time he says to transfer some amount to his account and when asked what I will pay for in his account. Then his reply came saying that in exchange of that money he will give me an account through which I can work in his company. I have never fallen for these spammers. I always thought they were a complete scam.
Activity: 1764
Merit: 694
[Nope]No hype delivers more than hope
I don't remember how many random messages I have received and deleted, I can only deduce the way they found me that the potential victims who fall under the radar of these types of scammers are those who usually join business and investment groups. Anyone who has never done business via telegram may naturally create their own protection making it unreachable.

I think those of us who are dedicated in the crypto space will not be able to avoid their attempts to trap us.
Activity: 546
Merit: 418
Sometimes whenever a chat comes up I just feel like getting to know the user immediately because it might be someone who meant well or probably someone who wants to get something from you, could be a vital information or could be a scammer as the case maybe.
To me I'd let the chat flow and I might even play to the tune of the unknown user, but giving out information from my end won't be possible until the intention of the user has been stated and one needs to be careful. I feel anxious sometimes when an unknown message pops up from someone I don't know even here in this forum.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
I think its best time you blacklist the unknown user, because if you dare respond to them, it's very obvious that you have been trapped, because some greedy people like investment with huge profits. Sometimes ignoring some of the investment can at a point make you to be free from scammers.
Ignoring them is the best remedy, only the prudent make use of this. Those who salivate over mouthwatering investment are no different from those who scam them because they too are greedy. Otherwise, why would anyone think a random stranger they meet online can make them wealthy overnight because of the type of offer they make them if not that they throw caution to the wind once they hear it has a nice ROI.
The cause of all these, is that everyone is inquisitive to make money, its only few people that will not be victims of this kind of investment that will triple your capital, but they doesn't think of the disadvantages aspect of it because of greediness, that's to say without bitcointalk community that helps to dispense information of scammers many people would have been scammed by now because of greediness, I want us to know that many people are looking for short-cut or the shortest of making money that's the while many falls for the trap of scammers, as I said before that only remedy to run out of scammers is when they send you their investment proposal you ignore it, and also block the means of been connected to you, because my said that you want or need, is what your enemies will get you with. So therefore we need to take precautions and peruse or scrutinised to any investment platform by research before investing to avoid scam.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
Ignoring them is the best remedy, only the prudent make use of this. Those who salivate over mouthwatering investment are no different from those who scam them because they too are greedy. Otherwise, why would anyone think a random stranger they meet online can make them wealthy overnight because of the type of offer they make them if not that they throw caution to the wind once they hear it has a nice ROI.
Greed is the true nature of human beings, so sometimes it is hard to avoid for some non-experienced users who are just starting their journey in the crypto space. In fact I think that scammers these days are targeting pigs, I mean big investors being their main target for launching attacks instead of retail traders.

Ignoring even the slightest attempt at scam and blocking it is a smart move instead of spending some time listening and following its evil intentions.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
I think its best time you blacklist the unknown user, because if you dare respond to them, it's very obvious that you have been trapped, because some greedy people like investment with huge profits. Sometimes ignoring some of the investment can at a point make you to be free from scammers.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
We know quite well that scammers are everywhere, and it's obvious that the gravity of scammers is like bacteria living in every living environment, we can know when unknown user chat us from our DM, if you don't have any ongoing or existing plans of investment and unknown user on your DM is emphasising on investment and gives he/her investment tablets plans, which you know quite well that you have not negotiate or had any investment discussion with anyone, I think its best time you blacklist the unknown user, because if you dare respond to them, it's very obvious that you have been trapped, because some greedy people like investment with huge profits. Sometimes ignoring some of the investment can at a point make you to be free from scammers.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 934
This can prevent the risk of having auto-download links/ file sent to your device when you interact with that user, especially when you don't have do not auto-download any file setting preference. Did someone think of the risk?

Yea, first thing I do upon installing telegram/whatsapp on new device is to to disable automatic media download, although I started doing this in start just to save useless spending of Internet data, apparently doing thus has more benefits than just that.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 852
Whatever they may demand or motive there may be it's easy to block'em up online. Unless I know the person personally or I initiated the chat first, I block' em on first account.
I also don't beat around the bush and spend a lot of time with anyone I don't know on social media. I mean, it doesn't matter if they just want to be friends or maybe have some questions worth responding to, but when the motive is money, I think I should block them too first.

Obviously blocking them is the recommended first step when they are not people we know or have interacted with on other platforms. This can prevent the risk of having auto-download links/ file sent to your device when you interact with that user, especially when you don't have do not auto-download any file setting preference. Did someone think of the risk?
Activity: 728
Merit: 512
Nowadays scammers come in varying unsuspecting ways that if one is not careful you might get caught up in their web leaving you in a situation where you wouldn't even believe or realize  when you have given out vital informations about yourself and other financial private contacts. The best remedy is that from the onset of the conversation and it's not going based on business grounds but rathers inquisitive about oneself just cut off the conversation and blacklist. Else you may be making yourself a victim of scam.
In as much as you uses the social media platforms you can't avoid coming across scammers and that's why it's expedient we keep alert and always check for red flags kind of conversation and know when to terminate it as soon as possible.
Activity: 812
Merit: 560
Using a photo of a beautiful girl and starting small talk is an old motif that is commonly known by many. Scammers don't start the conversation to the point, they will make the atmosphere more fluid and when he believes you are starting to get trapped he will direct you to things that drain the contents of the wallet.
Lucky you quickly realize it, he started to leave before the main mission launched. If you have never shared your telegram with anyone you don't know, be aware they may be part of some bad people who are looking for victims.

Using just an ordinary dp of a beautiful lady while chatting you up is very common and a crooked way most scammers have adopted using before how, but the issue now is that we all know that anyone can impose another person and chat you up, but you need to create time to make your personal findings on how they got your contact in the first place, where and how? what's the major purpose of them contacting you, what are they saying and where are they heading to, and we must be very sensitive not to reveal any of our identity to them while chatting us or give out our private information to them and when we dee they are going off the limit we should avoid responding back to their chat and block them.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 934
Whatever they may demand or motive there may be it's easy to block'em up online. Unless I know the person personally or I initiated the chat first, I block' em on first account.

I used to do lot of timepass with scammers on telegram, apparently they reported me and now I'm blocked myself.
Activity: 574
Merit: 387
Immediately I receive Dm from strangers, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the user is a scammer, so am always careful with the way we communicate, immediately you start asking me suspicious questions, if you are not lucky I will block you immediately but if you are lucky or maybe am bored, and I want to whine away time, I will reply you but I will have the mind set that you want to scam me so I know things that I will tell you.

Whenever we receive Dm on social media we all have to be careful, most of them are scammers, most of them might be offering you different things, don’t trust them they just want to steal from you, most especially on Telegram, if you receive any message on telegram and the user is sending you links to connect your wallet, or website to input your details, just report and block the user immediately.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 393
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
As I wrote earlier, scammers will try their best to scam and some are probably very determined to do it. It is up to the individual to try to protect themselves from losing any funds they have saved. These traps are still very common and it must be a painful lesson to learn when the victim realises they have been scammed.

You are right sir
I have tried my best not to give them attention anymore because I see nothing meaningful from them, most especially that doesn't ends of them knowing where one is chatting from or what amount of bitcoin I am holding, I have always been asked this question from cheap scammers and whenever I sense this blocking them straight always right option. Its very annoying someone inbox you and begin to asked about your crypto holdings or what forms of currency I am holding is very worrisome and suspicious.
Ignore them and let the Scammers bark like dogs, when you don't give them a chance they will bite finger. When you smell a suspicious aroma, believe you are on the Scammers watch. The best way you should do to secure assets is by not giving them access, only you can protect your assets. Never let your guard down.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Jokes aside, could he have located you by searching your Telegram handle which might be the same as your username here?

Most scammers find their victims by joining large groups and fishing for random names inside them, then repeat with the next batch of users, and so on.

Most people don't respond to these degens, but they usually get their hands successfully on maybe a dozen or half a dozen of people, for their illegal scams.

OP should also block incoming calls from Telegram from all users except for manually whitelisted users. Keeps annoying people out of your phone.
Activity: 532
Merit: 390
Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game
It all depends on the context at which they are contacting you about, if you're receiving a PM from unknown user and he's trying to invite you on a tricky scheme that may involve investment which you know not about it, then try to be vigilant because that may be their first initiation to defraud you, waste your time and effort or get your private informations and use them against you, the best action to take is to ignore and block such user making a physhing attempt on you, because once you respond, you give them more go ahead permit to continue and they may finally gets you.
Activity: 616
Merit: 713
Don't joke with my Daughter
As I wrote earlier, scammers will try their best to scam and some are probably very determined to do it. It is up to the individual to try to protect themselves from losing any funds they have saved. These traps are still very common and it must be a painful lesson to learn when the victim realises they have been scammed.

You are right sir
I have tried my best not to give them attention anymore because I see nothing meaningful from them, most especially that doesn't ends of them knowing where one is chatting from or what amount of bitcoin I am holding, I have always been asked this question from cheap scammers and whenever I sense this blocking them straight always right option. Its very annoying someone inbox you and begin to asked about your crypto holdings or what forms of currency I am holding is very worrisome and suspicious.
Activity: 518
Merit: 547
Scammer everywhere especially in telegram, In One week I receive at least 2-4 Scammer as you mention before. Sometimes I direct blocked and report as spammer, but If I have plenty of time I follow what he/she said. Just for play of course.
2-4 scam attempts a week? It's a pretty high number compared to others. I am wondering how many groups you are joined. Usually, those scammers come from Crypto and gambling-related groups. They follow the group members and target them. If you are in some groups where you are not interested anymore, consider leaving them. The number of messages from strangers will decrease day by day. Also, you may change your telegram handle as it's easy to do.

Sometimes they introduce themself and then talk about where do u live I usually answer southeast Asia and then if we continue chatting he will give some HYIP(High Yield Investment Program) and offer high APY and said that he got rich from the site.  Grin Grin What a joke.
HYIP Scam is the most successful scam on the internet (I assume). It's easy to fool new people who recently started searching for how to make money from the internet. Unfortunately, this scam still works, and people lose money for their greediness. I usually asked them how much they made daily in the old days. Why not invest yourself and double it every day? Why are you wasting time here?
Activity: 714
Merit: 421
I am not afraid chatting with strangers as I already have my ground on that. I never fall fir strangers like that when it comes to having conversations of such nature. It gives me more experience in tackling such situations in the nearest future if any of them comes my way but one thing I know is that i for sure make them give me their information by themselves when we covers. So I do not loose anything if they think they want to scam themselves and not me.

So funny how they use profile pictures of people to wanting to scam people thinking it is that easy to  scam some one just like that only if that person is a new bie in the system that is when the person becomes penetrable by them.
Pages:
Jump to: