Author

Topic: How to save money. - page 175. (Read 345783 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
April 24, 2015, 04:22:24 AM
Compound interest is the magic. Here is well explained what compound interest can accomplish for you: http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-teens-can-become-millionaires/

The thing is that people tend to live on today never worrying about future.
One could easily retire at age of 50 with a million bucks but nobody wants to do this.

Of course they are, especially in the euro zone let's see how much you can earn. Starting from 2.000€ with current interest rate of 0.15% starting from now:

year   sum                      yearly interest rate
2015   2000 €                0.15%
2016   2003 €                0.05%
2017   2004.0015 €        0.01%
2018   2004.2019 €       -0.05%
2019   2003.199799 €       -0.1%
2020   2001.196599 €       -0.5%
2021   1991.190616 €       -1%
2022   1971.27871 €       -2%
2023   1931.853136 €       -5%
2024   1835.260479 €       -10%
2025   1651.734431 €       -15%
2026   1403.974267 €        ....

Wow bro I`ve really became rich by compounding my 2000€ in a Eurozone Bank, not to mention that by then the inflation would probably be around 300% so yeah, my -600€ net profit really beated inflation. Keep the good work up and spread this information, its really wise  Cheesy
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
April 24, 2015, 01:28:41 AM
Compound interest is the magic. Here is well explained what compound interest can accomplish for you: http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-teens-can-become-millionaires/

The thing is that people tend to live on today never worrying about future.
One could easily retire at age of 50 with a million bucks but nobody wants to do this.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
April 23, 2015, 05:58:57 PM
One of the best techniques to save money is making trying to invest it a chore: Put it on bitcoin in cold storage and hide it really well under a good password. When you think about using it you'll be too lazy do to the whole process. It's like not having too much money on your pocket wallet.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
AKA The Rubber Monkey
April 23, 2015, 09:42:25 PM
I know some people who just go out and spend a ton of money for the heck of it... It seems like women in particular do this with getting tons of clothes etc, though I know of a couple men who buy new cars every year just for the heck of it. If this kind of needless spending was avoided, maybe they wouldn't constantly have debt to worry about. If people focused on making things (writing, playing music, building, drawing, programming) for fun instead of consuming things (eating out, buying tons of junk, going to movies) then they would probably be a lot better off.

Bro i know a guy who changes his phone every fucking month, its not just women. Then i know a couple who go on vacation every single weekend.

People are addicted to consuming. I`m not saying dont do it, you must live your life until you can, but i`m saying most of these people (since they dont have any reserves) end up heavily in debt once shit hits the fan, or become homeless easily.

Wreckless spending and not paying attention to your money can cost you dearly after something unfortunate happense to you, so i think everyone should have reserve money, which is exactly what the current monetary system discourages!

I agree. That's exactly how I was during the 90s. I had a very successful business and I thought the money would never end. I would vacation 4 or 5 times a year and I spent most of my weekends either at the coast or in Vegas. I didn't save more than a few thousand dollars. Then the bottom fell out. Now I'm nearing retirement age and can't afford to retire.

Savings are SO important. I wish I had saved.
Activity: 364
April 23, 2015, 09:23:30 PM
I know some people who just go out and spend a ton of money for the heck of it... It seems like women in particular do this with getting tons of clothes etc, though I know of a couple men who buy new cars every year just for the heck of it. If this kind of needless spending was avoided, maybe they wouldn't constantly have debt to worry about. If people focused on making things (writing, playing music, building, drawing, programming) for fun instead of consuming things (eating out, buying tons of junk, going to movies) then they would probably be a lot better off.

All the things I spend a lot of money on are things that are good for making stuff and that last (relatively) a long time. I think the most useful thing overall is a good computer. Doing business, writing, listening to and creating music, gaming, getting entertainment media for "free," communicating, and surfing the web... it has a great many purposes and a good one can be had for less than $1000 today.

As a musician I get some musical instruments which are fairly expensive, but a $500 guitar lets me learn more music, create my own music, entertain myself and develop new neural connections whereas a $500 TV station lets you entertain yourself and not much more. Even a TV station is way better than $500 worth of clothes that will get used once for vanity purposes etc. People just don't think before they buy.

Great points on lifestyle.  These are really difficult changes for people to implement in their own lives, unless they have a particular interest.  What some people enjoy is boring for others.

One of the things that I want to learn is how to play guitar Smiley

Yeah, being extremely interested in creating, and loving music in general is a double-edged sword. You're way more interested in it than just about anything else (especially working to make money) and life in general is just about getting you to what you want to do creatively. It's not like a TV addiction either... you don't really fell fulfillment/self-actualization from watching TV, just lazy satisfaction. With TV you can say you want to get up and do something useful with your life. With a music composition/performance/learning addiction you are doing something that (to you) is incredibly "useful" and fulfilling. You don't have the guilt of wasting your life in front of TV or games to motivate you to do something "productive" (read working for money).

I hear ya bud.  It's just about being passionate, and that passion can manifest in music, or some other type of art, sport, cuisine, etc.  The passion allows you to invest a lot of time, in an enjoyable way, to become masterful.  The tough part is incorporating that into your career and making a living doing it.  People that are able to find and continue to engage with their passion are a different breed.  They're much happier, and age much better than those that are making good money, but are miserable doing it.

Corporate work has enabled me to live without hardcore financial restrictions, but god damn it is unfulfilling.  I had quit a couple years ago to travel, and I'm getting that same feeling again.
Activity: 438
Merit: 100
April 23, 2015, 05:25:18 PM

All the things I spend a lot of money on are things that are good for making stuff and that last (relatively) a long time. I think the most useful thing overall is a good computer. Doing business, writing, listening to and creating music, gaming, getting entertainment media for "free," communicating, and surfing the web... it has a great many purposes and a good one can be had for less than $1000 today.

As a musician I get some musical instruments which are fairly expensive, but a $500 guitar lets me learn more music, create my own music, entertain myself and develop new neural connections whereas a $500 TV station lets you entertain yourself and not much more. Even a TV station is way better than $500 worth of clothes that will get used once for vanity purposes etc. People just don't think before they buy.

Great points on lifestyle.  These are really difficult changes for people to implement in their own lives, unless they have a particular interest.  What some people enjoy is boring for others.

Yeah, being extremely interested in creating, and loving music in general is a double-edged sword. You're way more interested in it than just about anything else (especially working to make money) and life in general is just about getting you to what you want to do creatively. It's not like a TV addiction either... you don't really fell fulfillment/self-actualization from watching TV, just lazy satisfaction. With TV you can say you want to get up and do something useful with your life. With a music composition/performance/learning addiction you are doing something that (to you) is incredibly "useful" and fulfilling. You don't have the guilt of wasting your life in front of TV or games to motivate you to do something "productive" (read working for money).
April 23, 2015, 05:01:53 PM

April 23, 2015, 02:37:27 PM

Bro i know a guy who changes his phone every fucking month, its not just women. Then i know a couple who go on vacation every single weekend.

People are addicted to consuming. I`m not saying dont do it, you must live your life until you can, but i`m saying most of these people (since they dont have any reserves) end up heavily in debt once shit hits the fan, or become homeless easily.

Wreckless spending and not paying attention to your money can cost you dearly after something unfortunate happense to you, so i think everyone should have reserve money, which is exactly what the current monetary system discourages!
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 23, 2015, 02:27:18 PM
Currently the biggest spending for me is SSD, upgrading to 500GB SSD will cost a whole lot  Undecided
Activity: 438
Merit: 100
April 23, 2015, 02:17:45 PM

Activity: 14
April 23, 2015, 01:50:21 PM
well i do not think may work accross other IP but i would try your tip on how to save money
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
April 23, 2015, 11:46:41 AM
oh yeah, one more way:

DONT GAMBLE CAUSE THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS!

I can't say that you may not gamble but so many people is addicted to it and you can ask them just to leave like that and it is not always the house win. Someone with a really good luck may be can win over house and so many people ever did again in gambling, but sometimes they are too greedy that makes them lose all of btc that he got from gambling
April 23, 2015, 03:38:34 AM
Just something simple like buying no brand food can go a long way to saving cash.

Yea and get poisoned by all the conservants and coloring ingredients that they put in it. The only place where I would not be cheap is food.

We all know despide processed meat is cheap, its very unhealthy. I`d rather save on anything else than on food.

I also dont drink fluorided tap water, its disgusting i only drink private water from bottles.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 23, 2015, 03:05:37 AM
Just something simple like buying no brand food can go long away to saving cash.
Is not the way you can save. If you buy a non brand food it may dangerous to your health because its not follow the right procedure of processing of food. You can save by saving your 20% of your salary. This would help you so much.
Activity: 56
April 23, 2015, 02:25:57 AM
Just something simple like buying no brand food can go a long way to saving cash.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
April 23, 2015, 12:25:30 AM

I think thay street vendors, sidewalk vendors are not an investors. In investing you wouldn't have to get tiree to earn money in investing your money will be allowed to borrowed it of the company and if their business are failed you wouldn't have a profit and your money will lost too. But if their business are successful your money will have a profit as your contract says.

How can people lend you his money and then you make investment in their company? Sure they didnt want to lend you some, its just like a gamble using their own money and that is backfire back to his own company
Why didn't lend it to me? Example i am a compamy their are investor they lend me their money they want to earn a profit. If they not lend their money they cant earn.

If you are the company why you should bother for taking their money. Its better you make your own profit rather then asking for their money to invest it in you company so you dont need to pay them again so it will become you own profit
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 22, 2015, 11:58:05 PM

I think thay street vendors, sidewalk vendors are not an investors. In investing you wouldn't have to get tiree to earn money in investing your money will be allowed to borrowed it of the company and if their business are failed you wouldn't have a profit and your money will lost too. But if their business are successful your money will have a profit as your contract says.

How can people lend you his money and then you make investment in their company? Sure they didnt want to lend you some, its just like a gamble using their own money and that is backfire back to his own company
Why didn't lend it to me? Example i am a compamy their are investor they lend me their money they want to earn a profit. If they not lend their money they cant earn.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
April 22, 2015, 11:37:45 AM

Activity: 675
Merit: 507
Freedom to choose
April 22, 2015, 10:49:00 AM
If you have a kroger supermarket and gas station you can earn up to a 1000 points which saves you $1 a gallon on gas, with a limit of 35 gallons per fillup you can potentially save $35 every time you fill up.

You can get double points buying groceries on the weekend, i just buy a $500 amazon gift card once every couple months and that gives me a thousand points.

April 21, 2015, 06:12:50 PM
I believe he means that he can contribute up to 10% of his gross income into his 401k, and the company will match 66% of his contribution, or 6.6% of gross income, making the total contribution 16.6% of gross income.

Each company usually has it's own program for retirement savings, health benefits and a stock plan if it's a public company.  I have seen retirement matching of between 0 - 175% of employee contributions.  The company with 0% had a stock plan though.

Thanks for the insight freeyourmind. 66% of the 10% isn't that bad to be honest then. i guess it all can relate to what investments are being purchased and handled by your 401k.

No problem bud.

It's not bad; I mean any contribution at all is better than nothing at the end of the day, because I don't believe there is a legal obligation for employers to contribute anything.  My company does a 100% match on a maximum of 6% contribution on gross income.

The problem that I have is that this money is a form of forced savings and cannot be accessed until retirement.  For this reason I prefer stock plans.  The other problem is that it hasn't been taxed, so when you start withdrawing from the retirement fund, it will be taxable income.

With respect to the type of investments, there are usually some standard portfolios with a mix of equities and bonds depending on risk tolerance to choose from.  You can also select specific funds yourself, from the limited options available in the plan specific to your company.
Jump to: