Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote? - page 31. (Read 94792 times)

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
The idea for a password-protected private key I had, was merely to do a normal private key code but substitute a different version byte so it starts with a different character than a '5', merely to indicate it's password protected.

The private key would be decrypted merely by XORing it with sha256(password).

The password would be deemed correct if money were found on the resulting address.  Alternatively, extra bytes could be added to the private key format to give between 8 and 16 bits of check bits on the password so that most typos could be automatically detected and rejected.

Security could be enhanced by substituting a computationally expensive key derivation algorithm in place of SHA256.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
I've been thinking about the private key part...

What if you could make a square 'matrix' that was surrounded by letters/numbers which would yield the proper QR-Code when you filled in the squares where they intersect? It would be like a cipher code that would prevent immediate 'cashing in' if someone found/stole it.

Layout Image Link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzdbolIn7zf1bEJ4Z3hqdC0wekU

The idea is that the QR Code would be 'degraded' by pixels being removed from the complete passphrase-revealing QR Code. I haven't run this in reverse to see what the degraded QR Code would generate - so that may be a problem with the scheme if it is very obvious what is missing.

Just throwing it out there...

UPDATE: Just tried to erase the one point where the example points to, and my QR reader was still able to get to the website - I suppose you'd have to tailor it to overcome some of the data redundancy inherent in QR Codes to make the scheme work. May still be valuable to someone, anyway.
vip
Just to follow up on my offer of compensation/reward:

I have budgeted USD $200 as rewards for the efforts going into this project.  There may very well be more than one winner.  However, to be in the running for any substantial portion of it, I need it to match a reasonable "definition of done".  "Definition of done" includes sending me an original file in native layered format (such as Photoshop) with the vector items intact so that they can be extracted to SVG elements.

I would like to note that Tony (Bit-Pay) has sent me his Photoshop file of what he has so far.

The previous submission that included the blue and grey fractal background... Where can I find this image in high resolution?  What is the copyright status on this image?

What I would really like to do is separate these submissions into layers so someone wanting to print bills can choose from several backgrounds, several portraits, and several designs, and the javascript would include the appropriate layers all by itself.
vip
Maybe what needs to be done is a version of BitAddress.org made, that loads a single static .js file in the same directory?  This would allow customizations to be done, and for them to be reviewed separately, while the mainline bitcoin address generator can stay unmodified and its integrity verified through a hash check.

That .js file might modify the styles a little bit to add an image and reposition the elements so they work.  That .js file would have slightly more freedom (e.g. it could reference a .png or .svg file in the same directory) but it would be very short and trivial to audit.

Nothing says there can't be more than one good style of banknote, and nothing says there can't be a repository of them.

"Think Different" is a registered trademark of Apple and probably isn't a good idea to use.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Good point. Less edge and less conspiracy now  Cheesy

Timbo I like this, but from a usability standpoint, the 2 QR codes are too close together.  You should be able to fold the note in half to hide one of the codes.

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
If people print these at home, they can use some more ruggedized paper.

Normal paper is made from wood pulp and disintegrates when it gets wet.

The dollar bills we carry around are made from cotton and linen, not from wood pulp.

Here are some cotton & linen papers you can buy to print your own bitcoin notes, so they will better withstand folding, getting wet, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A1064954%2Ck%3Acotton%20linen%20paper&page=1

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!

Why not a black and white stencil of Einstein, or anyone else you want, and the black part is a fractal pattern
Activity: 352
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
My first try. Let me now if your like it or it's a total miss Smiley

I think it looks TOO EDGEY
Just put math and all that fun stuff on it, not crazy conspiracy theory ron paul smoke weed everyday 420 bitcoins
My first try. Let me now if your like it or it's a total miss Smiley

Hmm have some ideas will put in my own design soon Cheesy
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
Great idea Casascius, and thanks for sending me the coins really fast, they're awesome  Smiley

How about having a small contest on the banknote design? I pledge 500mBtc

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/1833/how-would-you-like-to-design-a-bitcoin-banknote

Where did this mBtc and other stuff come from? I thought there where Satoshis and Bitcoins.

Those are smaller bitcoin units http://www.rugatu.com/questions/1467/what-are-the-bitcoin-units

500mBTC would be BTC0.50. Hope it helps

That does. We should be making things EASIER to understand bitcoin, not making them HARDER Smiley

being a programmer i am dealing with the Satoshi unit
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Great idea Casascius, and thanks for sending me the coins really fast, they're awesome  Smiley

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/1833/how-would-you-like-to-design-a-bitcoin-banknote

Where did this mBtc and other stuff come from? I thought there where Satoshis and Bitcoins.

Those are smaller bitcoin units http://www.rugatu.com/questions/1467/what-are-the-bitcoin-units

500mBTC would be BTC0.50. Hope it helps

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

http://www.appletonideas.com/Appleton/jsps/DocuMarkCustom.do?langId=-1

Perhaps we should start a new topic about bonds? I believe that we have taken this outside of the initial scope of Mike's vision. Which I believe is a good thing!
That bearer bond looks awesome.

I've been wanting a nice looking way of saving offline funds to paper.  Armory is pretty cool, but something easily printed would be really nice, too.

We should come up with a good list of people/things for the portraits and the quotes.  I know there have been a few posts before filled with ideas.

+1

Maybe we can pool together to get some CERTIFICATES printed out by a CERTIFICATE company. you know the same ones that do stocks and bonds and vital records and stuff? Sure we can print the details at home but this would be really sweet!

Don't you really want to print it yourself since it has the private key right there? One rouge employee with a camera could do a lot of damage.

The public and private key would be printed at home. The certificate would just have the security marks on it and look official.

It's a thought. I figure if we are going to make a Bonds version instead of a disposable version we might as well go all out.

I would. Smiley

Example.

http://www.appletonideas.com/Appleton/jsps/StoreCatalogDisplay.do?langId=-1

Again. We are talking about just the paper and general design. The details and contents are printed at home.

I've been wanting a nice looking way of saving offline funds to paper.  Armory is pretty cool, but something easily printed would be really nice, too.

We should come up with a good list of people/things for the portraits and the quotes.  I know there have been a few posts before filled with ideas.

+1

Maybe we can pool together to get some CERTIFICATES printed out by a CERTIFICATE company. you know the same ones that do stocks and bonds and vital records and stuff? Sure we can print the details at home but this would be really sweet!

Don't you really want to print it yourself since it has the private key right there? One rouge employee with a camera could do a lot of damage.

The public and private key would be printed at home. The certificate would just have the security marks on it and look official.

It's a thought. I figure if we are going to make a Bonds version instead of a disposable version we might as well go all out.

I would. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers

+1

+1

Pages:
Jump to: