Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote? - page 32. (Read 94792 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
That bearer bond looks awesome.

I've been wanting a nice looking way of saving offline funds to paper.  Armory is pretty cool, but something easily printed would be really nice, too.

We should come up with a good list of people/things for the portraits and the quotes.  I know there have been a few posts before filled with ideas.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
Would be awesome! Maybe something to give a new born and then allow them to watch the amount of BTC and the value of the BTC grow in value over time. And then on their 18th birthday they are presented with either the private key or the pass phrase to unlock the encrypted private key that is on the same certificate. Hell if they can crack it and withdraw early I think they are entitled to early withdraw Smiley

What a great idea for my son!

The pass phrase could be as simple as a poem that you mention at his graduation dinner party Tongue
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
Would be awesome! Maybe something to give a new born and then allow them to watch the amount of BTC and the value of the BTC grow in value over time. And then on their 18th birthday they are presented with either the private key or the pass phrase to unlock the encrypted private key that is on the same certificate. Hell if they can crack it and withdraw early I think they are entitled to early withdraw Smiley

What a great idea for my son!
ok then. maybe I am not looking for a Bearer Bond. More like a SECURE bond?

That is the great thing about these... we are not locked into any one persons interpretation of what they should be.

Maybe you want an letter sized bond to frame or show off or whatever that has the public key, but a credit-card sized serial-numbered matched private key store.... all do-able!

I am the one who knocks

That is the great thing about these... we are not locked into any one persons interpretation of what they should be.

Maybe you want an letter sized bond to frame or show off or whatever that has the public key, but a credit-card sized serial-numbered matched private key store.... all do-able!
I had thought a similar thing.  Only I was thinking more along the lines of letter sized bonds but with the 'cool Hollywood look' for cold storage or private transfer of significant funds (personal gifts, etc)

Yes, you mean like this?  I could put this in my safe with important documents, and people would realize it has value.

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-bond.png[/img]

WOW. That's just... sexy! Wink

Damn sexy! But the private key is still in plain site so if the vault or what ever got broken into got stolen and someone DID know what bitcoin was, they would be able to redeam it right away.

Isn't that the point of a bearer bond? The bearer has the monies?

However it does pose an interesting delemia: if you are showing some with a careful picture they could empty the value.

I am the one who knocks
I had thought a similar thing.  Only I was thinking more along the lines of letter sized bonds but with the 'cool Hollywood look' for cold storage or private transfer of significant funds (personal gifts, etc)

Yes, you mean like this?  I could put this in my safe with important documents, and people would realize it has value.

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-bond.png[/img]

Damn sexy! But the private key is still in plain site so if the vault or what ever got broken into got stolen and someone DID know what bitcoin was, they would be able to redeam it right away.

Isn't that the point of a bearer bond? The bearer has the monies?

However it does pose an interesting delemia: if you are showing some with a careful picture they could empty the value.

donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
I just realized, I'll have to add two lines to my iOS app for tracking addresses...I'll need to let users select an image of the new yet-to-be named bills and bearer bonds to assign to their address. I have Casascius coins as an option, but it would be cooler to have one of each type of coin/paper as a sub-option.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Needs a little asymmetry to look really good. I'd move the Davinci photo off center...just like on the $20 bill
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive

Cool idea have Nostradamus on the note.

Cheesy
Got to be honest, seeing it next to that 20 dollar bill, it looks pretty damn good.

On the banknote I would like to see the word "bitcoin" prominently placed on the note like it is on the bearer bond.

Where it says "LOAD bitcoin" and "REDEEM bitcoin", to me it would make more sense for it to use both the words LOAD and VERIFY on the left QR code, and then "SPEND" on the right one.  Mainly because these are words relating to cash, as opposed to perhaps a gift card.

By the way, what software are you doing this in?  It shouldn't be any problem providing a layered file, right? (e.g. Photoshop)

Mike I'm using Photoshop, and everything is layered vectors except for the background image.  I'm heading out for the night but will pick this back up tomorrow.

refresh this page one more time, they now say "Bitcoin Note" and "Bitcoin Bearer Bond"

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
Got to be honest, seeing it next to that 20 dollar bill, it looks pretty damn good.

On the banknote I would like to see the word "bitcoin" prominently placed on the note like it is on the bearer bond.

Where it says "LOAD bitcoin" and "REDEEM bitcoin", to me it would make more sense for it to use both the words LOAD and VERIFY on the left QR code, and then "SPEND" on the right one.  Mainly because these are words relating to cash, as opposed to perhaps a gift card.  And the ability to verify funds is at least as important as loading, which should only be done with the left code.

By the way, what software are you doing this in?  It shouldn't be any problem providing a layered file, right? (e.g. Photoshop)
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

I am the one who knocks

Yes exactly that!

But I was thinking more graduation/wedding gift type scenarios.  Although I would personally use them for storage as well because I am strange like that.

I am the one who knocks
Here is the design printed on a black-only laser printer

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/print.JPG[/img]

These would classify as public notes. What about PRIVATE notes with the private key being encrypted with an aes passphrase?

Would be handy for cold storage Smiley
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
So, what's the scenario? I go to a restaurant, but I don't have my bitcoin wallet with me, or I don't have wireless Internet connection nor a way to create offline transactions. I take out my real wallet and give the waitress a 2x 1BTC and 3x 0.1BTC sheets for my 2.3BTC bill, they happily sweep the keys.

Let me illustrate the scenario with change: suppose you have ten 1BTC bills in your wallet.  Waitress hands you a ticket for 2.3BTC.  You hand her 3 of your bills and are owed 0.7BTC in change.  She comes back and gives you 0.7BTC on one of your own bills as change.  Actually, with this being a restaurant, it's more likely that she brings you back seven 0.1BTC bills that the restaurant had custom-printed, to make it easier for you to give a tip.

In all cases, either party could screw the other, but the risks and likelihood are mitigated just by the amounts in question being so low.  Compare that to the risk faced every day by leaving cash tips on the table, or the risk that someone could just grab the cash and not come back, or could come back and pretend it was never given to them.

Here's an approach to where you'ld only carry a couple of these with you, but a transaction to the change address on one goes to fund the next (sequential) bill you carry:

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.831067

That way you one spend one bill per transactin, and the retailer never has the private key for any of your funds except for the one you handed over to be spent.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.831067
If/when we have clients that support multisig, we can put a second signing key on the back-side of the serial number n+1 note.
ok now the contrast is enhanced for better b&w printing

Here is the design printed on a black-only laser printer

These would classify as public notes. What about PRIVATE notes with the private key being encrypted with an aes passphrase?

Would be handy for cold storage Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: