Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote? - page 33. (Read 94792 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Here is the design printed on a black-only laser printer

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
So, what's the scenario? I go to a restaurant, but I don't have my bitcoin wallet with me, or I don't have wireless Internet connection nor a way to create offline transactions. I take out my real wallet and give the waitress a 2x 1BTC and 3x 0.1BTC sheets for my 2.3BTC bill, they happily sweep the keys.

Let me illustrate the scenario with change: suppose you have ten 1BTC bills in your wallet.  Waitress hands you a ticket for 2.3BTC.  You hand her 3 of your bills and are owed 0.7BTC in change.  She comes back and gives you 0.7BTC on one of your own bills as change.  Actually, with this being a restaurant, it's more likely that she brings you back seven 0.1BTC bills that the restaurant had custom-printed, to make it easier for you to give a tip.

In all cases, either party could screw the other, but the risks and likelihood are mitigated just by the amounts in question being so low.  Compare that to the risk faced every day by leaving cash tips on the table, or the risk that someone could just grab the cash and not come back, or could come back and pretend it was never given to them.

Here's an approach to where you'ld only carry a couple of these with you, but a transaction to the change address on one goes to fund the next (sequential) bill you carry:

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.831067

That way you one spend one bill per transaction, and the retailer never has the private key for any of your funds except for the one you handed over to be spent.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.831067
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
It needs a field where you can write down the loaded amount.

And that field ought to work two ways: (the way the blue bill does it seems satisfactory):

1. A user who wants specifically-denominated bills can type in a number, and the number will be superimposed on the bill and printed with his printer.

2. A user printing bills can print non-denominated bills, and the artwork will show a dimmed field allowing the user to write in the actual amount, when it is known.

When in the end I select winner(s) and ask for a showdown, I plan to ask for the following:

1.  A license to allow anyone to use and redistribute the work without attribution (sort of necessary for a bill generator)
2.  The image in a layered format, so individual elements can be swapped and/or removed as needed (such as the denomination, the box for a hand-written denomination, the portrait, or whatever)
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
It needs a field where you can write down the loaded amount.
Yes, the image is available in hi-res but I have to buy it.  This is just the free preview.

I thought of one more design criteria.

The design should, when folded in half, not place the QR or the plain text codes along the crease.  This would cause degradation of the information.

When folded in half, for carrying in a wallet, for example.

or, when folded in half long-ways, for sliding into a garter, for example.   Grin

With that in mind, here is version 7.

vip
here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

Yes on all counts.  I might have to end up declaring more than one winner - it is perfectly fine to have more than one "kind" of banknote (and as Bitcoin gets popular, they almost could be like collectible baseball or phone cards).

If I can make subjective suggestions for this one:

* The solid color B's and the border look ink-intensive. I think the BTC's would look better straight up and down, rather than tilting like the logo.  I am also not sure about the color orange if the background isn't orange as well.
* Da Vinci is cool, I would put his name on it.  The first impression of this portrait not knowing who he is is that this is Dungeons and Dragons money and that this guy is the wizard.
* This particular background image - is it available in high resolution?  If raster images are to be used, having very high resolution images is something I see as a must (mainly because cash features very high resolution features as well - the goal being use all the resolution a user's printer has to offer)
* I normally love rounded features, but on this note to me they invoke the idea of a gift certificate more so than a bank note.  I would suggest simple squares much like the blue banknote also being discussed in this thread.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

and when printed in black-and-white only

Awesome! I'll take it!

I like this design...Anyone know anything about archival quality printing? A laminated version of this on archival stock/ink would be cool.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
here's another option with a Fibonacci seashell background.  Mike am I getting closer?

Awesome! I'll take it!

vip
I think the keys (text and QR) should not be at the very edge. This is the most likley area to receive damage.

As long as the private key is either readable or scannable, everything else is redundant and recoverable.  This concern may be addressed just by making sure at least one of the copies of the private key doesn't involve the edge.
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
I think the keys (text and QR) should not be at the very edge. This is the most likley area to receive damage.
Activity: 60
dwda
Here is my take on the BTC note:

With the key off and on the edge:

The central image would be customizable, and I would also add that maybe they should be able to choose from a variety of BTC symbols:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

I will come up with something for myself for the central image shortly.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
I like the blue ones, they are neat. I think that they should all be like that, but the background fractal art should vary depending on blockcount at time of printing. (for extra coolness)
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
With QR and human readable codes

[IMG:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-note5.png[/img]

I like this, but think it would look better with the corner logos squared off instead of tilted. Maybe even two diagonally opposing corners for the denomination.
With QR and human readable codes.  the LOAD image includes the bitcoin: URI for all mobile wallets that support it.

vip
Would the private and public key need to be spelled out or are we just assuming that QR-Codes will be the norm.

The private and public key need to be human-readable.

The total size of the private and public key can be reduced by using the 30-char mini private key, which will cut 21 characters off versus using a full private key.
What does the binary border say?

nothing, I just typed random numbers.  But it would be easy to encode a binary message, great idea!!
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
What does the binary border say?
Activity: 98
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
Random color
Random quotation
Random picture
Initial seed value?