Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote? - page 5. (Read 94792 times)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

What do you mean "Printer manufacturers are controlled by reptilians"? Is it actually insecure to print something sensitive, then connect the printer to an internet-connected machine? Even when power cycling it?

Joke, I myself believe that method to be safe. But some people are always commenting about the issues with printers (closed source etc).
BIP 38 solves this hyper-paranoid/joke issue. A malicious or even public printer can be used to print encrypted private keys and then you could write the passwords onto the bills directly.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
This is why I would love to see BIP 0038 implemented.

PROOF OF CONCEPT: Ignore shitty perspective and other details

In a real case I would probably place the Spend code, together with the written encrypted key on the back. But it's only to show that Paper wallets can also be Plastic Wallets!
2. Wrong! Use a chip who signs the transaction internal.

Cards with chips will cost more, and requires expensive readers to works while qrcode can be decoded by a smartphone or a barcode reader.

Who's phone is doing the scanning? If the payer, what's the point? If the payee, you're taking the step 2 on trust.
Activity: 210
Here is something similar to the card/business card form factor idea: http://www.paymyaddress.com/

Nice! But I wonder what's on the other side of the card. They never show.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

What do you mean "Printer manufacturers are controlled by reptilians"? Is it actually insecure to print something sensitive, then connect the printer to an internet-connected machine? Even when power cycling it?

Joke, I myself believe that method to be safe. But some people are always commenting about the issues with printers (closed source etc).
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
Here is something similar to the card/business card form factor idea: http://www.paymyaddress.com/
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I'm interested in business card sized designs.  Then we can print more per page.  It's also easy to buy paper that is already perforated for business cards.

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

In a real case I would probably place the Spend code, together with the written encrypted key on the back. But it's only to show that Paper wallets can also be Plastic Wallets!

Cards with chips will cost more, and requires expensive readers to works while qrcode can be decoded by a smartphone or a barcode reader.

It's just a cheap way for a discardable plastic / cardboard /paper card. Just print your card on a piece of paper or plastic and keep switching cards or keys as much as you want.

It is supposed to be an in-between a real debit card and a paper note, for those of us who can't manufacture or buy or own chipped cards. Something more tangible and durable than paper, easy to store in a real wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
You should implement a C library for BIP 38 since such a library can be used in any language. therefore it would be much easier to implement and would therefore push products/development.

The friction isn't so much in the difference between C and C#, but rather, in getting equivalent crypto functionality in the other languages.  If the core of BIP 38 is scrypt, one would be better off using a native implementation of scrypt in the target language, rather than making any attempt to port the one in mine.  The  reference implementation of scrypt itself, as I understand it, is already C, but the implementation that might have the most practical value (besides C) would be one written in javascript.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
My note generator for C# does encrypted notes. This would be safer to carry as a 50 BTC note.
this would be an awesome option but I guess the encrypted ones are much more difficult to redeem?

Until more people implement BIP 38, the only way to redeem my notes is to use my generator app to decrypt it into an unencrypted private key.
You should implement a C library for BIP 38 since such a library can be used in any language. therefore it would be much easier to implement and would therefore push products/development.
vip
My note generator for C# does encrypted notes. This would be safer to carry as a 50 BTC note.
this would be an awesome option but I guess the encrypted ones are much more difficult to redeem?

Until more people implement BIP 38, the only way to redeem my notes is to use my generator app to decrypt it into an unencrypted private key.  Other than that limitation, and assuming you're able to run my app, it's not all that difficult.  I have recently added a "decrypt key" screen on the tools menu so it's easier to figure out what to do.

I have faith though... when I started making physical bitcoins, I was speaking along the same lines... telling people they had to use a patched copy of bitcoind in order to redeem private keys of any kind, encrypted or not.  Nowadays, there's at least half a dozen good places you can redeem them.  My canvassing works... eventually.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
vip
I was wondering something:

Any chance we can use Encrypted QR codes, so that only people who know the passphrase can use the note?

Would it be difficult to implement that into current Bitcoin Smartphone applications? I mean, the scanning and decrypting.

I of course would second this: the relevant technical information is at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0038
I was wondering something:

Any chance we can use Encrypted QR codes, so that only people who know the passphrase can use the note?

Would it be difficult to implement that into current Bitcoin Smartphone applications? I mean, the scanning and decrypting.
Activity: 151
I think phisical bitcoins shouldn't be standardized. There can be many variations, the only important thing is how the private key is handled.

In a situation of hyperinflation of the official currency you will find that goods like cigarettes and brandy naturally are promoted as a replacement. A uniformly designed physical unit, recognized by the public as a container of bitcoin, could easily also be put into circulation in a crisis (and is way superior as a currency)
Activity: 151
Actually, I deliberately designed my 1 BTC coin to be generic enough that others could use it.  It does not say Casascius on it, even though it could.  The only coins I make where I put Casascius on the metal itself are the silver and gold (Casascius is embedded in the binary on the back of the silver, and on the front of the gold).

I was thinking of having all of the business part of the coin on the hologram side. This would not only make them easy to reuse, but also open some precious space for advertising on the all metal side (A circulating bitcoin-bill would lend itself very well to be financed this way). The future designated ad-space would naturally first be used for artwork on coins intended for gifting.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
How about some odd values like 3.14159 btc? Or 4.20 for those silk-road purchases Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: