Pages:
Author

Topic: HungerCoins Invest: The odds are ever in your favor. - page 5. (Read 14537 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
I get it's unlikely, but, what if someone hits one of the top 2 "prizes" with a large bet before things are saturated - especially before the Lottery has taken off (assuming it does?) - what will happen?

The risk or ruin is very small. Although quite remote, what is tragic is a long string of successive jackpots. That is very unlikely to happen though. To be honest, it would be something like a fire, flood, earthquake, war happening in the place where you have business all at the same time.
I think it's a bit crappy, that, if you send and it's 30 confirmations, you can change to say 32, then I have to wait another 2..... surely those sent before the change, should receive the confirmation limit at time of sending?

It's only at most +1 per day. So additional 10 minutes of wait if it's changed when you placed a bet.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
I think it's a bit crappy, that, if you send and it's 30 confirmations, you can change to say 32, then I have to wait another 2..... surely those sent before the change, should receive the confirmation limit at time of sending?
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
Yeah crap I know that *NOW* thought I could save the 2 extra transaction fees by sending strait from where I had my funds at the time. *poof* 0.25BTC gone T_T.
Activity: 237
Aw Man I just realized I have no way of "proving" a payment I made via GLBSE what adress it came from so can't look it up via blockchain. For all I know everything from GLBSE comes from one adress.
Any help guys?

Withdrawal history
Amount   To address   Date
-0.25   1Fhoq69gYN5a61Yhv3Rc3ufCkDiryqybVK   2012-09-03 01:19:40

Don't use an exchange wallet for things that need to return to the sending address. Undecided
Activity: 158
Aw Man I just realized I have no way of "proving" a payment I made via GLBSE what adress it came from so can't look it up via blockchain. For all I know everything from GLBSE comes from one adress.
Any help guys?

Withdrawal history
Amount   To address   Date
-0.25   1Fhoq69gYN5a61Yhv3Rc3ufCkDiryqybVK   2012-09-03 01:19:40
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
I get it's unlikely, but, what if someone hits one of the top 2 "prizes" with a large bet before things are saturated - especially before the Lottery has taken off (assuming it does?) - what will happen?
Started a general discussion thread entitled:

HungerCoins: sustainable or not?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hungercoins-sustainable-or-not-105578
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
I would imagine a 10 BTC limit as 2000% on 10 is 20000.

2000% of 10 is 200.  You don't just multiply, or 100% of 1 would be 100.

I wonder if people are sending 40 separate 0.25 bets rather than one single 10 BTC bet because that way they have 40 separate chances to 'win the jackpot'.  Perhaps you could treat a bet of 10 BTC as 40 separate 0.25 bets and calculate the winning for each separately (but appending a different number to the txid or block hash before rehashing it, and sending the resulting winnings in a single output.  That way people get the reduced variance of betting lots of small bets without needing to spam the network.

Also, I'd suggest not mentioning the original 0.25-only address in the OP, since that's the one people see first.  Some probably stop reading before they get to the new address at the end of the OP.

Oh right :facepalm: math stupidity...
Thanks for the insights. That will be considered. The only reason why it's one bet per transaction is because it is simple for bettors to see the last N digits of their transaction hash as their ticket number and as soon as it is included in the block, it is easy for them to know if they won or not and how much they won.

It would be pretty trivial to make a web page that lets the user copy/paste in the txid and block hash and have it display all the bet hashes, winnings, and a total.  Perhaps offer 2 different addresses - one which counts the payment as a single bet, and one which treats it as a series of 0.25 BTC bets?  That way people can decide whether they want the variance or not.

Thanks dooglus for the inputs. I'm practicing creating some websites to further expand operations. Still not comfortable with hacking issues.
The original post has been edited already to reflect the changes. And the thread name, too.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
Thanks for the insights. That will be considered. The only reason why it's one bet per transaction is because it is simple for bettors to see the last N digits of their transaction hash as their ticket number and as soon as it is included in the block, it is easy for them to know if they won or not and how much they won.

It would be pretty trivial to make a web page that lets the user copy/paste in the txid and block hash and have it display all the bet hashes, winnings, and a total.  Perhaps offer 2 different addresses - one which counts the payment as a single bet, and one which treats it as a series of 0.25 BTC bets?  That way people can decide whether they want the variance or not.
legendary

I wonder if people are sending 40 separate 0.25 bets rather than one single 10 BTC bet because that way they have 40 separate chances to 'win the jackpot'.  Perhaps you could treat a bet of 10 BTC as 40 separate 0.25 bets and calculate the winning for each separately (but appending a different number to the txid or block hash before rehashing it, and sending the resulting winnings in a single output.  That way people get the reduced variance of betting lots of small bets without needing to spam the network.

Also, I'd suggest not mentioning the original 0.25-only address in the OP, since that's the one people see first.  Some probably stop reading before they get to the new address at the end of the OP.
legendary

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
Yeah that would break the bank I am sure.
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
I noticed some of you are still sending multiple 0.25 to second address. Please be informed you can now combine that up to 10 btc and send to 1Fhoq69gYN5a61Yhv3Rc3ufCkDiryqybVK. This way you can save in transaction fees.
That's an improvement, but why the 10 BTC limit? If you need a new hash to gamble on, just take SHA256(txid) for each subsequent bet.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I noticed some of you are still sending multiple 0.25 to second address. Please be informed you can now combine that up to 10 btc and send to 1Fhoq69gYN5a61Yhv3Rc3ufCkDiryqybVK. This way you can save in transaction fees.
That's an improvement, but why the 10 BTC limit? If you need a new hash to gamble on, just take SHA256(txid) for each subsequent bet.
Pages:
Jump to: