Pages:
Author

Topic: I admit to being a scammer, and having multiple accounts. - page 2. (Read 7700 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Ordinarily, you'd be right on, however in this particular instance you're mistaken. The OP is not only a minor but has no previous history of fraud as far as I have found.
That is incorrect. The only reason you haven't found evidence of previous fraud is because he paid off the person he scammed before and threatened legal action for it to be taken down.

When you say "paid off", do you mean the money was returned to them? I'm curious how long ago this was.

I have PM'd you the info, to protect Jake's privacy.
legendary
Ordinarily, you'd be right on, however in this particular instance you're mistaken. The OP is not only a minor but has no previous history of fraud as far as I have found.
That is incorrect. The only reason you haven't found evidence of previous fraud is because he paid off the person he scammed before and threatened legal action for it to be taken down.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
this thread wins.

Grin

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Whatever his motive, if he pays people back he has taken a step in the right direction.
Activity: 100
Merit: 10
He is paying back the money because he does not want it to be public who he is. Possibly because it could be reported to the police.

There will be some people who do not collect their funds... and in the end the scammer wins.

There are also times and forums where he does this but is not caught.... therefore even if he pays back everything when he gets caught, it will only encourage him to do it again.

He has said he would not stop, do not buy into him being "sorry". He was caught red handed and he is making a deal now.

If we were to make him pay back more money then he owes, this would be illegal (extortion) and there is good reasons for extortion being illegal.

However, in the long term, it would be better for the community to bear the cost (perhaps he will still give back to curry favour with the judge). It should be make public who he is and reported to the police, his place of employment or schooling if any, and his family and friends. Doing this would really make the risk reward on pulling scams bad. Helping to stop future scams will save a lot more money and help bitcoin out a lot more in the future I would argue.

It's an incentive problem like "tragedy of the commons", if we bore the cost of the future scams as much as we bore the cost of this guy's scams today, then it would be clear to do what I say.

it may seem as though this is easy for me to say as I was not scammed in this incident, however I have been scammed 4 times in my life (half online half off), one of those times by my sister who I haven't spoken to since (7 years or so ago).

In any event, I will butt-out now because it is not maybe my place. But it is a suggestion.
legendary
I just wanted to admit that yes, I would have kept going if Theymos didn't message me, or didn't rack up a ton of evidence.
Ha! I just realized what that evidence was. I didn't make the connection until I looked over my PM history, though.
Activity: 331
Earthling
You scammed me for 2 BTC!

Please send them back ASAP:
1GbYxEDJszEtZmbhN5LNumuHm2fZ3c3R8R

Thank you Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
 Grin pulls up a chair this should be good!
Activity: 375
<3 Bitcoins
are you the same guy that scammed me over $800? can you please fukin pay me that amount back? and even if you're not him, can you pay me that amount back anyways for his actions? all scammers are the same to me. it left a really bitter taste in my mouth paying with non-reversible bitcoins to purchase items. that was my very first BTC transaction too  Angry

I think your thinking of Christopher Poole
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
are you the same guy that scammed me over $800? can you please fukin pay me that amount back? and even if you're not him, can you pay me that amount back anyways for his actions? all scammers are the same to me. it left a really bitter taste in my mouth paying with non-reversible bitcoins to purchase items. that was my very first BTC transaction too  Angry
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
Activity: 406
Merit: 251
Unfortunately I predict he will not pay everyone back (without addl scams) nor will he disclose all the accounts he has used. This is all too deja vu.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
If he does pay people back, it will not be hard for him to start building trust with the members.

If he is truly sincere about turning sides, once all is paid back, a good approach to build rep would be do some trades with honest traders. You would obviously be expected to trade first for every trade from now on until you've got a significant amount of solid rep.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
There is a lot of scum out there in the world & the ordinary folks posting here aren't among them. They don't deserve the crap
Hope you will remember the alternative I proposed, though it's very mentally taxing and difficult.

You can keep the 0.05 as a token.
Activity: 66
Can someone talk to zem for us as well? He got me for 18btc.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
Theymos, can you shed some light on whether or not Jake is skyliner?  

The IP evidence shows that Jake is probably not skyliner or Zem.

Word.  Thanks for lookin' out.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032

The IP evidence shows that Jake is probably not skyliner or Zem.
Activity: 154
If you aren't actually skyliner, it's pretty disturbing that you would try to cast additional blame on him.

I wouldn't call it disturbing so much as it is a rash and last ditch effort to avoid being caught. That's obviously old news now though considering the topic of this thread.

It's not old news for those who were scammed by skyliner and didn't get compensated.

Edit:  Is Jake also Zem?
Yes
legendary
If you aren't actually skyliner, it's pretty disturbing that you would try to cast additional blame on him.

I wouldn't call it disturbing so much as it is a rash and last ditch effort to avoid being caught. That's obviously old news now though considering the topic of this thread.

It's not old news for those who were scammed by skyliner and didn't get compensated.

Edit:  Is Jake also Zem?
legendary
The accounts I listed are the only ones I have used. I'm sorry for what I did and people were saying skyliner was a scammer so when I got scared I tried to pretend it was him at first. I'm embarrassed that this is all coming out like this but I know I needed this to wake me up. I'm not going to give any excuses and I will take the punishment I deserve. I really don't want to go this way and I don't know why I did it in the first place.

If you aren't actually skyliner, it's pretty disturbing that you would try to cast additional blame on him (the fact that skyliner is a scammer all on his own is irrelevant).

Pages:
Jump to: