Pages:
Author

Topic: I am very confused. - page 7. (Read 10235 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
October 17, 2011, 08:22:58 PM
What is confusing is that people are declaring it dead because it can't maintain a constant price after an increase over 1000 times? I really don't understand this. Somebody please tell me how Bitcoin is suffering right now? From what I am seeing it has had great progress. I don't see anything to complain about.
The volatility makes it less useful as a medium of exchange. If you accept 100 bitcoins in exchange for some hardware and the next day those 100 bitcoins are worth 15% less, you may wind up taking a loss on the transaction. This matters because you typically can't pay your employees, pay your utility bills, pay your rent, or pay your suppliers in bitcoins.

Otherwise, the price of a bitcoin measures a whole bunch of things mixed together. One of the things it measures is the collective opinion of the long-term viability of bitcoins as a medium of exchange. But that's mixed in with so many other factors that you really draw too many conclusions.

I think a lot of people just assume that a high price is good and a low price is bad without really thinking too much about it. They confuse the price of a bitcoin with things like the price of a company's stock.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
October 17, 2011, 08:21:39 PM
I found out about this currency two weeks ago. I acted on it because it will meet the needs of an idea of mine and now I am coming to realize it challenges the powers that be. I never expected much out of its current form since it is so young.

What is confusing is that people are declaring it dead because it can't maintain a constant price after an increase over 1000 times? I really don't understand this. Somebody please tell me how Bitcoin is suffering right now? From what I am seeing it has had great progress. I don't see anything to complain about.

Most get caught up in the noise instead of looking at the big picture.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
October 17, 2011, 08:19:35 PM
Everything eventually comes to an end. Some sooner than others.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
October 17, 2011, 08:17:48 PM
I found out about this currency two weeks ago. I acted on it because it will meet the needs of an idea of mine and now I am coming to realize it challenges the powers that be. I never expected much out of its current form since it is so young.

Pages:
Jump to: