Pages:
Author

Topic: Ideas for topic ordering in altcoin announcements? - page 5. (Read 18930 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
What are your ideas for new ordering methods? My current idea is:
 1. For each topic, get a list of the distinct users who posted there in the last 24 hours.
 2. Give the topic a score equal to the sum of each such user's total earned merit.
 3. Sort by topic score descending, and secondarily by the usual last post time.

Sounds interesting but perhaps this can be implemented initially as an option to try it out?

It seems to me that this could prevent some (most) threads from ever showing up the front page. Some others would be likely permanently parked there.

Also if I want to comment on some scam I would likely bump it to the front page (which happens now too but the front page bump in the new system would be far more valuable). An opt-out from the score would be nice.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 2196
Signature Space For Rent
1. For each topic, get a list of the distinct users who posted there in the last 24 hours.
 2. Give the topic a score equal to the sum of each such user's total earned merit.
It will be best especially for altcoin announcements  board. Its good to see that you are thinking about it.

The main problem is now altcoin announcements  board. I have some suggestion and its no need much technical work.
1. Disable posting on  altcoin announcements below Jr. member rank. Keep only read mode for newbie rank.
2. For reduce spam from others board just disable signature below member rank include copper membership. Peoples are skipping merit system and buying copper membership. Let them(newbie) earn from other campaign. So they are continue spamming.

This spam should just be deleted
That's the problem, just be deleted. Why should not punished them ? Even temporary punishment. Like if a newbie 10 post reported and deleted by moderator, then he should get ban for 3 days. For each rank there will be different deleted post count. Something like that will help reduce more spam.
Activity: 44
Merit: 16

You may try both and see which one works better. Though, merit spammers will try to game this as well. But with active policing like trust system, they can be identified and punished.

As a starter, here is the technical suggestion I made in the other thread...

Here is a technical suggestion for theymos. You have already created this page for Merit Stats, i.e. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats. How about just adding a board-wise filter to it?

For example, Top-merited topics, all-time of Beginners & Help section should be found with this link - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=toptopicsat;board=39.0

All it requires is just another INNER JOIN, which should not be costly.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
There's a strong incentive to spam replies to topics in altcoin announcements and a few other sections because there's a lot of activity and competition for eyeballs there. This spam should just be deleted, but I'd also like to remove the incentive by changing the default ordering of topics in those sections from "last post" to something new. (You'll still be able to click/bookmark something to get the old ordering.)

What are your ideas for new ordering methods? My current idea is:

With that, you still have topics with recent conversation listed first, but it requires more resources to manipulate, at least, and newbies have no influence. Maybe it'd give certain users overwhelming influence, though.

I want to think about it quite a bit more, so I probably won't do it soon.
Pages:
Jump to: