Pages:
Author

Topic: If bitcoin according to Satoshi is digital money then why call it investment. - page 6. (Read 610 times)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 841
It's because people are always view Bitcoin in USD or local currency equivalent. Whenever Bitcoin price was $20K in the last few months and now Bitcoin price is already $30K, they're think if Bitcoin price is highly volatile, but they're forgot if their local currencies are always inflated.

If there's a country only use Bitcoin as legal tender, people will view Bitcoin price is really stable and the goods or bills would be cheaper since Bitcoin is inflationary currency.

1 BTC = 1 BTC.
Activity: 2814
Merit: 574
I don't know what is the intention of the OP, but in the last 10 years its obviously that,

a) when it started to have a price and then traded globally at Mt. Gox then it become an assets and investment
b) people not trading it, but just keep on buying become a HODLer

But it doesn't mean that you can't used it as digital money, you can still used it that way. If there are online merchants that are going to used then it become a payment scheme. So there is nothing wrong with bitcoin becoming a investment or digital money or payment scheme.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

If bitcoin according to Satoshi is digital money then why call it investment.

because people could invest their old money too..
yep money can be invested

heres some examples

putting fiat into your childs college savings account is investing your money in your sons future

putting bitcoin into a family multisig is investing in families future

its not rocket science

the deeper meaning is this
bitcoin is deflationary meaning it buys more college books if left invested for a couple years compared to invested for college in fiat..

yep if you have a 13yo kid in 2018 and you had the option of putting $10k into a college account for 5 years. or into bitcoin for 5 years.. you would have a better investment in bitcoin.

$10k fiat after 5 years wont buy as many college books of courses compared to 5 years ago.. but $10k of bitcoin invested 2018 would cover his whole standard community college course and accommodation

($10k=2btc in 2018 = $60k this year)
its not rocket science, its math

Activity: 1204
Merit: 49
Binance #Smart World Global Token

Well, when you are buying something and you expect it to rise in value later then it can be called as an investment. This is very true with real estate but can also be true with anything like art object and yes even luxurious bags and other properties. Now, of course, the same is true with Bitcoin. Now, this is a very basic concept with investing and as a BTC enthusiast it would be good if you can familiarize yourself with the term and the concept.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 301
*STOP NOWHERE*
Now I ask how come it deviated to being an investment?.

People didn't call it an investment, they turned it into an investment property. Right, bitcoin was initially created to be a decentralized currency not controlled by anyone. But it is we investors who have turned bitcoin into a speculative asset, all because of our behavior and usage. But honestly, if bitcoin is not an investment, it is not volatile and not profitable. I wonder how many people will use it? Are you sure you are getting into bitcoin because you need privacy, not profit?
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
Eventually, it will reach a high level of adoption and then investing in bitcoins will be no more profitable than investing in any other widely used currency.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
The fact that Satoshi invented Bitcoin for a specific thing and it was used for something different, this does not preclude the selfishness of using it for both parties. There is a quote from Satoshi, which is that during the next 20 years, Bitcoin will have either many transactions or zero effect.

I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume -- Satoshi Nakamoto

In other words, there will be a high demand for Bitcoin, and since the supply is only limited, we can say that the price will rise, so can we consider this as a sign from Satoshi because the price of Bitcoin will rise?

All possibilities are now available, but the end result is that Bitcoin is a high-risk investment and can lead to zero.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
The sole reason why bitcoin was invented was to serve the purpose of digital money for which it was clearly stated on the white paper by Satoshi Nakamoto as captured below by quote;

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System.
    Bitcoin White Paper
If you look at the top page of the while paper, it is clearly written there and there was no captions like investment  attached to it or being mentioned by Satoshi Nakamoto himself. Now I ask how come it deviated to being an investment?. I have read all through the white paper and never saw anything like investment but rather " an electronic peer 2 peer cash payment system" which means bitcoin is money but in a digital way of making payments. So how come it became an investment?
This happened because money is no longer a store of value, when commodity currencies were first created one of the problems a great deal of them had is that you could not use them for long before the material from which they were made deteriorated, precious metals solved that issue as they can last forever, and once they were minted into coins of the same weight we finally got money as we know it.

However fiat currencies do not store value, as such bitcoin was created in a world in which our money no longer performs perhaps its most important function, so while bitcoin can be used as a currency and you can buy whatever you want with it, it makes more sense to keep it, as what you can buy with fiat goes down while what you can buy with bitcoin goes up, making bitcoin not only a currency but an investment as well.
Activity: 658
Merit: 158
BTC Rocks
Now I ask how come it deviated to being an investment?. I have read all through the white paper and never saw anything like investment but rather " an electronic peer 2 peer cash payment system" which means bitcoin is money but in a digital way of making payments. So how come it became an investment?
Cryptocurrency like Bitcoin isn't a digital payment system but also a store of value. It is a virtual currency as well as an asset but we can say it a Virtual asset where gold is a physical asset. So Bitcoin becomes too much popular as an investment because of its price volatility. You can say every asset who has price volatility or a potential chances to climb up it can be called as an investment. But the problem is Bitcoin isn't Physical asset that's why you are discussing here. In short Volatility makes Bitcoin as an investment.

Although I don't think without volatility or potential growth we can't say any asset as a investment like stable coins USDT, BUSD. But there also have a little price fluctuation so they aren't a perfect investment.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 801
The world has freedom of speech and you can call Bitcoin as anything you want in your vision.

You can call it as it is, Bitcoin but you can call it as a shitcoin, a virtual currency, digital currency or even a scam currency.
If you buy it and hold it as an asset, you will call it as a store of value, for your investment.
If you use it at a gambling site, you will call it as a gambling currency.
You use bitcoin in your own ways and other people use their bitcoins in their ways which can be different than yours.

It can be called as The Internet of money
or as a Bitcoin standard.

Whatever you call it, others call it, Bitcoin is Bitcoin.
Activity: 728
Merit: 421
I know you must be wondering what's up with my topic right? I too was having a thought over this and I  felt I should bring it here for discussion so we all can share our own various opinions.

For quite sometime now all I have been seeing is statements and topics of bitcoin being an investment and it bothered me to look into it and I as well stand to be corrected logically and with facts with respect to this conversation.

The sole reason why bitcoin was invented was to serve the purpose of digital money for which it was clearly stated on the white paper by Satoshi Nakamoto as captured below by quote;

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System.
    Bitcoin White Paper
If you look at the top page of the while paper, it is clearly written there and there was no captions like investment  attached to it or being mentioned by Satoshi Nakamoto himself. Now I ask how come it deviated to being an investment?. I have read all through the white paper and never saw anything like investment but rather " an electronic peer 2 peer cash payment system" which means bitcoin is money but in a digital way of making payments. So how come it became an investment?

I believe in the course of adding more value to it's existence, whales bought large volume by market manipulation at the early stage of bitcoin inception and those who couldn't stand the market wave sold out giving way for the whales to take over the market and since then along with other occurrence and scenarios,  bitcoin became an investment and store of value aka digital gold as per say as it worked out for the whales according to their schemes. Would it be that easy to correct that notion of bitcoin being called an investment other than money.
When it is used for payment of goods and services on daily basis and we having full custody of our funds in a digital way would it be necessary we calling it an investment aside the price increase which is fluctuating and barely stable for a long time.? I believe Satoshi Nakamoto the sole originator of the bitcoin knows much better than everyone why he invented the bitcoin and I also would be looking forward to his reappearance be it pseudo anonymous or otherwise to making some notable observations on the bitcoin journey so far.

Pages:
Jump to: