Pages:
Author

Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin? - page 7. (Read 4846 times)

Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
They can't stop bitcoin, if they can stop and do something to make its operation,movement or fluctuation over, they did long time ago. But bitcoin is decentralized, they cant do something now to stop its market, popularity and price movement. The thing that they can do is to make a law that prohibits bitcoin on their own jurisdiction.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 535
Bitcoin- in bullish time
To kill a thing you have to know its central and whereas btc don`t have a central it is not logical to say they would kill it. But if they put high taxes on it and if some other governments adopt it they will face so difficulties.
If bitcoin will be taxed, it means the transaction fees will be double its price. If the government does thess act, not all users can afford expensive transaction fees. As of today they already complain about the high fees bitcoin  currently have

Governments generate revenue through taxes so if they would want to get money through the bitcoin users in the country, then they may probably do that. Also, they may impose regulations or limitations for bitcoin users and holders. This would be a hassle for us users especially if, for example, the government chooses to regulate the exchanges. A way for them to stop bitcoin would be creating a ban or prohibiting its use or possession.
Taxing bitcoin is more likely to happen rather than banning it because the governments know that there is money in bitcoin so if they want to make money also without risking their money or fund of the government then they can just make an order that will requires the bitcoin users to pay taxes to the government and that is how bitcoin will continue to go into its journey and also the side of the government will also make money.
Activity: 686
Merit: 146
To kill a thing you have to know its central and whereas btc don`t have a central it is not logical to say they would kill it. But if they put high taxes on it and if some other governments adopt it they will face so difficulties.
If bitcoin will be taxed, it means the transaction fees will be double its price. If the government does thess act, not all users can afford expensive transaction fees. As of today they already complain about the high fees bitcoin  currently have

Governments generate revenue through taxes so if they would want to get money through the bitcoin users in the country, then they may probably do that. Also, they may impose regulations or limitations for bitcoin users and holders. This would be a hassle for us users especially if, for example, the government chooses to regulate the exchanges. A way for them to stop bitcoin would be creating a ban or prohibiting its use or possession.
Activity: 248
Merit: 10
The Exchange for EOS Community
Yes they could if they feel bitcoin start replace their currency or be a threat to their country. since some government could block many content from the internet and as we know bitcoin base on internet.if they want to, they could block bit coin immediately with statement to protect their currency or eliminate threaten.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 501
I think no..because many people depending on Bitcoin because Bitcoin changes many lives..especially unemployed,less fortunate etc..
Governments do not care about such a thing if they perceive something as a threat they are going to do everything in their power to stop it even if that something helps people, it was not that long ago that it was illegal to hold gold in the US despite the fact that holding gold is something that can only benefit you and I will not be surprised if the US banned gold again and maybe banned bitcoin as well.
Yeah although bitcoin is useful and helpful for their community but the government will not be too concerned about it. the government will apply the rules according to their wishes. it is possible that bitcoin is prohibited if government get the losses from bitcoin directly. but I do not think the ban will make the bitcoin die ?
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
I don't know if that government he stop bitcoin someday and I don't think is the government he can stop this site the other country is he trying to banned
Activity: 2856
Merit: 783
Burpaaa
This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
Even though if they wanted to do that, they cannot probably and possibly do it as fast as they can because there is still a concern that the people must be asked for their opinion regarding the issue of stopping bitcoin usage in their state or country. But if the government will really prove and see that bitcoin has a bad effect for its people because of too much usage that can result to greediness, I think the government can do really stop bitcoin among its vicinity to avoid the spread of its bad effects.

Well too many to access it still like vpns and hacking the system etc. I don't think it can be stopped now that almost everyone is into crypto. I just hope our Government will not interfer on it.
Activity: 315
Merit: 100
Investing in the future development of blockchain
This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
Even though if they wanted to do that, they cannot probably and possibly do it as fast as they can because there is still a concern that the people must be asked for their opinion regarding the issue of stopping bitcoin usage in their state or country. But if the government will really prove and see that bitcoin has a bad effect for its people because of too much usage that can result to greediness, I think the government can do really stop bitcoin among its vicinity to avoid the spread of its bad effects.
Activity: 1092
100% yes. If anyone thinks the opposite is very wrong. Governments have deal with much more difficult problems that this.
Really? You seem to think that governments can do everything and control everything and that is not correct, there are things that escape their control and bitcoin is one of them, this is why bitcoin created bitcoin as a decentralized currency, governments cannot take down every single node in the planet at the same time so the bitcoin blockchain will always be there on the Internet and there is nothing they can do except shut down the whole Internet.
Activity: 423
Merit: 250
Its impossible for todays technology. I know too many country trying to ban TOR network but as you know no one able to block TOR traffic.
Also we have nice VPN gateways to access eveywhere.

This is what I love about Internet that nobody can control it.  Many people other authorities have been trying to control things on Internet but they fail and similarly no government is capable of killing Bitcoin as well as altcoins. If this was possible then banks would have already got rid of all crypto currencies. In the world of Internet, there is always a way to do what we want to do.

Activity: 658
Merit: 505
I don't think that governements have the interest to stop or to ban the bitcoin. They are probably worried in a way about it because bitcoin market is something thta can't control and they are aware that it is also used for some criminal activities and money laundering but this is also done through fiat and it's not in such large scale that it would give them headache. The conclusion is that bitociners shouldn't be worried about the governements, they have biger problems.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
I believe it could happen. US is the most powerful country and if their government will release an order for a total ban with bitcoin then it's really possible that bitcoin will be obsolete because a lot of  countries and especially mine look up on US and  just follow anything they are doing.

One thing is being able to shut down bitcoin and to create dampers on bitcoin, and another thing is the practicality and/or probabilities for such a move to actually be played.

The more that bitcoin's value rises, the more stake holders are disrupted by draconian governmental measures, and the more that bitcoin is cross jurisdictional, the more difficult it is to coordinate jurisdictions, and even though a lot of jurisdictions will follow the USA, there are a lot that do not, too...  and that seems to be part of the reason why USA connected folks are sometimes disallowed access to some kinds of financial services that are available to other world folks because they do not want to be subject to USA attempts at jurisdiction.
Activity: 1652
Merit: 262
SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM
I've watched the movie "bitcoin hacker". and there, the subject matter is:
the government is worried if bitcoin is used as a means of money laundering by the mafia. then, the government and the state police are trying to find the bitcoin holders. after watching the movie, I also became worried if it happened. hopefully nobody takes advantage of bitcoin for criminal purposes, so there is no problem with the government and bitcoin can continue to exist.
Activity: 159
100% yes. If anyone thinks the opposite is very wrong. Governments have deal with much more difficult problems that this.
Activity: 476
Merit: 101
I believe it could happen. US is the most powerful country and if their government will release an order for a total ban with bitcoin then it's really possible that bitcoin will be obsolete because a lot of  countries and especially mine look up on US and  just follow anything they are doing.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
bitcoin stands with a complicated peer to peer and blockchain system, if the government wants to stop bitcoin it must stop its users but in fact bitcoin users on earth is very much and difficult to detect.
Activity: 1092
I think no..because many people depending on Bitcoin because Bitcoin changes many lives..especially unemployed,less fortunate etc..
Governments do not care about such a thing if they perceive something as a threat they are going to do everything in their power to stop it even if that something helps people, it was not that long ago that it was illegal to hold gold in the US despite the fact that holding gold is something that can only benefit you and I will not be surprised if the US banned gold again and maybe banned bitcoin as well.
Activity: 462
SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM
Government have the power,  but not totally removed it in the existence. They could ban it like in China.  Bitcoin is circulating now worldwide and the government have no idea who are the holder of bitcoin. If they want to remove they need to ask their people or investigate their people who have bitcoins. Or they just have to shut their whole connection to avoid using bitcoin.  But the ugly part of doing this,  people will not give up their bitcoins and probably use underground means of holding or spending of bitcoin which will the government cant detect.  The government may affect this situation and its also their loss.
Activity: 910
Merit: 257
I think the most that they could is to start regulating bitcoin, because completely stopping it to function not that easy. However, implementing hard penalties, would be a game changer. The number of users would decrease because people would stay away from something illegal as much as possible. Governments can do crazy things, so for me, they can stop it but they would really have a hard time in doing so.
Activity: 322
Merit: 102
As powerful as the governments and any other private banks, they can do as much as they can to stop or erase the face bitcoin in the society but I think they can't stop or kill it completely for as long people believe in it. For as long people's eyes are being opened to possibility of what bitcoin can do even to the near future. For now, bitcoin may sound absurd to some countries or government because they might not that knowledgeable about it. For this reason, most of the people in the government are in different generations than the millenials. Sooner or later, bitcoin eill be as popular as it can be and no one can even stop it.
Pages:
Jump to: