Pages:
Author

Topic: if you had 200 GH/s which is the most profitable pool? - page 2. (Read 9754 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
If I had that many cards I would join a pool that sends a text message when a miner is down.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
In the short term there is variance same as any other pool.
p2pool variance is almost like solo mining. Eligius has almost no variance.

Variance in time to maturity is not dissimilar to variance in payout. In both cases you do not earn what you expect today; in both cases you hope that in the long term your actual payout will converge with your expected payout. In the long term variance in time to maturity will cause some amount will almost certainly be owing (although minimal as a percentage of overall earnings); however variance in payout is as likely leave you slightly ahead as behind.

Variance in time to maturity is more likely to leave a miner out of pocket than payout variance, for the same amount of variance. I understand you're saying variance is higher at a p2pool, but variance in payout can be more than expected - this doesn't happen with variance in your pool.

Unless there's something I missed?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
p2p vs "normal" pool
There is no significant difference here. The difference lies in who creates the blocks: miner or pool. If the pool makes the blocks, the miner is blind and powerless over what goes into them. If the miner makes the blocks, it restores the integrity we had with solo mining. To date, there are 3 pools which support it: BitPenny was the first to move this to the "miner makes blocks" design, with a proprietary Bitcoin-based protocol; p2pool was the second, with yet another different proprietary protocol; for Eligius, I chose to adopt the new "getmemorypool" JSON-RPC method and make it a standard capable of general mining use.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
guys, again, i am not currently in possession of 200 GH/s.  i do hope to accumulate it over the short to mid term (am currently in research mode, not in purchasing mode), but i'm more interested in the academic comparison of solo vs pool, or p2p vs "normal" pool, at that hashrate, so i can plan accordingly.
ZPK
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1021
go us ... pool.itzod.ru .... we unlucky and we need power ( no fee....RSMPPS...
http://pool.itzod.ru/
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
most important aspect is maximizing profit over say a 6 month period.  during that period, i imagine variance would average out right?

Well your power bills comes once a month.  A very bad streak (1 in 200 chance) could put you  -30% compared to expected over 30 days.  Using p2pool is a no brainer.  100% of transaciton fees, no pool fees, a good chunk of the subsidies, and your variance would be based on ~400GH/s instead of 200 GH/s.

Are you sure you're right there, D&T? Seems a little high to me. How'd you calculate it?
legendary
Nonsense

P2pool has the variance of a 300GH/s pool, that means like 1 block every 6 hours

Eligius is 350GH/s, so it's pretty much the same thing
p2pool is PPLNS (high variance). Eligius is SMPPS (low variance).

Once again nonsense.  SMPPS has low (essentially no) variance in rate funds are EARNED (similar to PPS) but unlike PPS it has high variance in the rate that funds are PAID. 

Most miners care about the variance in their payments and there is no difference between the two. 

Lastly even if PPLNS had higher variance your claim that it is similar to solo mining is just pure biased FUD.  I mean it is shit Luke.

A miner with 1 GH/s of hashing power has the same variance solo mining or using p2pool?  Really that is the fucked up claim you are putting your name on?
Sorry you don't understand, but it really doesn't justify the profanity.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Nonsense

P2pool has the variance of a 300GH/s pool, that means like 1 block every 6 hours

Once again nonsense.  SMPPS has low (essentially no) variance in rate funds are EARNED (similar to PPS) but unlike PPS it has high variance in the rate that funds are PAID.    Most miners care about the variance in their payments and SMPPS provides no advantage there.

Lastly even if PPLNS had higher variance your claim that it is "similar to solo mining" is just pure biased FUD.  I mean it is crap Luke. No way around that.

A miner with 1 GH/s of hashing power has the same variance solo mining or using p2pool?  Really that is the garbage claim you are putting your name on?

On edit: removed profanity. 
legendary
Nonsense

donator
Gerald Davis

Too stupid for words.

p2pool - 320 GH/s
Eligius - 350 GH/s

hmm.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Nonsense

Yeah. This is pretty strange. I have heard numerous people that are saying that P2Pool <<< normal pool in terms of payouts but I have not tried this myself so it could be FUD.
Pure FUD

P2pool is decentralized and open source. Everyone can have a look at the source code and see how it work.
But sure spreading FUD is easier, after all noobs won't check soure code, they will just move to other pools like deepbit and make pool operators happy(=richer)
legendary
donator
Gerald Davis
P2Pool really needs to provide MORE not less payouts in order to gain traction.

It does.  PPLNS + payout 100% of transaction fees + 0% pool fees + subsidies/bonus.
Everything the pool collects is paid out. 

donator
Gerald Davis
most important aspect is maximizing profit over say a 6 month period.  during that period, i imagine variance would average out right?

Well your power bills comes once a month.  A very bad streak (1 in 200 chance) could put you  -30% compared to expected over 30 days.  Using p2pool is a no brainer.  100% of transaciton fees, no pool fees, a good chunk of the subsidies, and your variance would be based on ~400GH/s instead of 200 GH/s.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
If you are going to mine in p2pool don't forget to compare your results over a couple of weeks with expected amount from any online calculator.

Yeah. This is pretty strange. I have heard numerous people that are saying that P2Pool <<< normal pool in terms of payouts but I have not tried this myself so it could be FUD.

P2Pool really needs to be easier to use IMHO and provide MORE not less payouts in order to gain traction.
legendary
Probably at 200 GH/s. Still safest to use Eligius Wink
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
If you are going to mine in p2pool don't forget to compare your results over a couple of weeks with expected amount from any online calculator.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I can recommend joining DeepBit.
This should be the most profitable solution, at least for me.

This actually made me laugh. No joke. Cheesy

But still if you want the LEAST possible variance DeepBit is good because it is the biggest pool.

Especially if you only care about the $$$ and not about security of BTC and possibility of 51% attack ...

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Either solo mining (suggested) or p2pool.

forget any "normal pool", it's just a waste

With 200ghash you will find like more than one block per day.
Pages:
Jump to: