Pages:
Author

Topic: Igebotz Nigerian Local Board Merit Source Application - page 2. (Read 1228 times)

staff
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1610
The Naija & BSFL Sherrif 📛
Fair enough, but Google Translate hasn't found a way to translate Nigerian Pidgin to English yet, and most of these posts are always in Pidgin, so many merit sources will skip them except those who want to merit blindly or based on the reputation of the user who submitted those links.
Wait, I'm confused Tongue We here always use the phrase "pidgin English" for bad English, or the Dutch equivalent: Steenkolenengels. I've been wondering why Nigeria needed their own local board, given that English is the official language. I'm now starting to think you guys actually call it "Pidgin" which just sounds funny Smiley
When I saw posts on the Nigerian local board before, I thought it was just English but with lots of mistakes. Now I'm starting to think this is how it's supposed to be:
This one go different and na based on the different coins dem wey you dey interested in wey go determine if you go go long term or short term.
When I read this, what I see is: "English English English mistake English English English dem wey English dey English English wey English English English English English English" Cheesy

That is why it is termed Pidgin English (a combination of English and local slangs). You may code some of the post but will not be able to understand the message unless a local speaker interprets for you. The "Wey" and "Dem" in the post you referenced is what made it pidgin.  Cool

There are more than 500+ languages in Nigeria but Pidgin English is what unite us more. Both illiterate and literates understands it.

Thanks for your support!
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Fair enough, but Google Translate hasn't found a way to translate Nigerian Pidgin to English yet, and most of these posts are always in Pidgin, so many merit sources will skip them except those who want to merit blindly or based on the reputation of the user who submitted those links.
Wait, I'm confused Tongue We here always use the phrase "pidgin English" for bad English, or the Dutch equivalent: Steenkolenengels. I've been wondering why Nigeria needed their own local board, given that English is the official language. I'm now starting to think you guys actually call it "Pidgin" which just sounds funny Smiley
When I saw posts on the Nigerian local board before, I thought it was just English but with lots of mistakes. Now I'm starting to think this is how it's supposed to be:
This one go different and na based on the different coins dem wey you dey interested in wey go determine if you go go long term or short term.
When I read this, what I see is: "English English English mistake English English English dem wey English dey English English wey English English English English English English" Cheesy

Handling a source to a local who understands these languages solves these issues
No argument there Smiley
staff
Isn't that exclusively for posts on the English board?
If you check the rules set by LoyceV, there's no mention that submitted posts should be in English.
Correct. Links to any language are okay in Report unmerited good posts to Merit Source. I usually don't have the time to go over them through Google translate myself, but other Merit sources can still Merit them.

Handling a source to a local who understands these languages solves these issues and relieves the stress of other merits sources. Igebotz can do this!

Thanks CryptopreneurBrainboss
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
If you check the rules set by LoyceV, there's no mention that submitted posts should be in English.
Correct. Links to any language are okay in Report unmerited good posts to Merit Source. I usually don't have the time to go over them through Google translate myself, but other Merit sources can still Merit them.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
Isn't that exclusively for posts on the English board? I've never seen somebody submit a post from the local board to that thread before. Most of our local posts are written entirely in pidgin. I'm not sure how that will help.

The purpose of presenting unmerited posts is for the admin (theymos, or whoever decides) to see your perception of which post deserves merit. Ordinary members, i.e. non-merit sources, can give earned merit at their own discretion, unlike sources that have a greater obligation towards rationality in order not to waste free merits.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
I support your application. I tried to give some merits to posts you showed and would like to help in the future as well. Local boards should get more sources and merit distribution should be all over the forum. A fair distribution cannot be made when there are only a few active sources.

I was wondering why I was receiving merits from you on our local board, now I know and thank you for supporting the baord. Just as Igebotz said, if you want to assist the board we can work out something that'll be beneficial to those keeping the board active with quality discussion and hopefully theymos doesn't keep us waiting but give us a preferable feedback soon. I also noticed Igebotz has distributed some merits to the posts he qouted for his application and that's one of the signs that shows he'll be a perfect fit for this responsibility for the Nigerian board. He quoted those posts as what he would had sent merits assuming he had more and when he got some smerits he did the needful and reward the posts (in his application with merits).

Here are few submissions I made, asking merit sources if they can help our quality members rank up. Majority of the postsI shared were in Croatian and they were merited anyway. Luckily we now have more merit sources so that is not needed anymore.

Thanks for that suggestions, this might be a perfect solution for the meantime although we don't want theymos to think this is a permanent solution as the more merit sources we have in our local board the more circulation of merits and it'll help in bringing about more quality discussion and the progression of the board in general.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937

I've never seen somebody submit a post from the local board to that thread before. Most of our local posts are written entirely in pidgin. I'm not sure how that will help.
Here are few submissions I made, asking merit sources if they can help our quality members rank up. Majority of the postsI shared were in Croatian and they were merited anyway. Luckily we now have more merit sources so that is not needed anymore.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55620839
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.56662642
staff
Yes, he has one of the lowest allocations compared to the new sources that thyemos added a few years ago. How do you manage smerits that accounts for less than 10% of all active posters? Pidgin is tough for individuals who are not Nigerians to comprehend, making it difficult for a random merit source to patrol and drop something on a post they can't even read.
Have you considered using Report unmerited good posts to Merit Source thread until you get more merit sources?

Few years ago we ( Croatian local board) we were in the same position you are now zo I used to report our good posts and it really helped us so maybe you could do the same while waiting.

Isn't that exclusively for posts on the English board? I've never seen somebody submit a post from the local board to that thread before. Most of our local posts are written entirely in pidgin. I'm not sure how that will help.
legendary
Yes, he has one of the lowest allocations compared to the new sources that thyemos added a few years ago. How do you manage smerits that accounts for less than 10% of all active posters? Pidgin is tough for individuals who are not Nigerians to comprehend, making it difficult for a random merit source to patrol and drop something on a post they can't even read.
Have you considered using Report unmerited good posts to Merit Source thread until you get more merit sources?

Few years ago we ( Croatian local board) we were in the same position you are now zo I used to report our good posts and it really helped us so maybe you could do the same while waiting.
staff
I support your application. I tried to give some merits to posts you showed and would like to help in the future as well. Local boards should get more sources and merit distribution should be all over the forum. A fair distribution cannot be made when there are only a few active sources.

Thank you- If you need help I can always send you links of worthy posts written in pidgin. The distribution ratio in our local board is very low.

Appreciate your support @Salahmu
Activity: 392
Merit: 269
Igebotz is one of the most active and supportive user in our local board, I support your application
EFS
staff
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2065
Crypto Swap Exchange
Activity: 854
Merit: 1246
Pidgin is tough for individuals who are not Nigerians to comprehend, making it difficult for a random merit source to patrol and drop something on a post they can't even read.
Exactly and I will like to use this opportunity to thank those non Nigerians who visit the local board and found quality posts and meritting them. They are really helping the local board to grow. lovesmayfamili, Ratimov, fillipone and others I don't know what to say than thank you. And if these two applications are accepted then it will go for long way to help the locals.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1108
By the way, isn't CryptopreneurBrainboss merit source?
Based on the amount of merit spent by CryptopreneurBrainboss so far, I can confirm that he is one of the merit source.
He spent an average of 23.5 sMerit per month last year on the Nigerian local board, while he has spent an average of 53 sMerit per month (January - July 2023) on the same local board. But it would be better if there were additional merit source there because that could help more users get merit worth it with the quality of the posts.
You got that a briefed calculations just right and that speaks loudly as to how much allocations CryptopreneurBrainboss gets vis a vis what he earns from his posting and all used in the merit of merit worthy posts on the local board and across boards on the forum. Sure that wouldn’t be a enough, it just wouldn’t be which presents an issue of being looked into as per increasing the allocations for CB to ensure the user gets to fulfill his duty to the forum as merit source to a high capacity which am sure his capable of handling.
While we hope to create new sources, an upgrade on the allocations for merit sources such as CryptopreneurBrainboss would be a step in the right direction.

If Theymos could look into creating a new merit source in Igebotz and increased allocations for CryptopreneurBrainboss, it would be great.
staff
A general  board merit source. He is not a Nigerian local board source, but as a local, he assists in whatever manner he can. His Source is insufficient to cover two boards (General and Local). We need a source that is particular to our board, just as it is on other local boards. Some local have more than three.
Since he is an active member of Nigerian local board and a merit source, that means that you as a local board have merit source. It's another problem that his merit allocation is not enough and that you need more merit sources, which I hope will be sorted soon.

We have a couple of merit sources and all of them are also sharing merit in general part of them forum and I believe it's the same with majority (if not all) merit sources. There's no rule where merit sources have to share their link monthy allocation.

Thanks BITCOIN4X Mpamaegbu Agbe
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
Igehhh is a big asset to the Nigerian local board and I believe he will do fantastically well being a merit source. I support him wholeheartedly to achieve that. The user is as jovial as he's meticulous and diligently committed to whatever tasks he sets his mind on. Theymos, kindly attend to this. "Owa" local board can do with that.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1246
Well deserved application. Overdue Merit source. As it was said, merit sources and moderators are needed badly in the Nigerian local board. Nigerian local board is growing rapidly so these two personalities are needed for the smooth organized arrangement of the board therefore, I support the two Merit source applications form Charles-Tim and Igebotz. Sir theymos should please accept these two and the creation of subbords in the local board.
legendary
A general  board merit source. He is not a Nigerian local board source, but as a local, he assists in whatever manner he can. His Source is insufficient to cover two boards (General and Local). We need a source that is particular to our board, just as it is on other local boards. Some local have more than three.
Since he is an active member of Nigerian local board and a merit source, that means that you as a local board have merit source. It's another problem that his merit allocation is not enough and that you need more merit sources, which I hope will be sorted soon.

We have a couple of merit sources and all of them are also sharing merit in general part of them forum and I believe it's the same with majority (if not all) merit sources. There's no rule where merit sources have to share their link monthy allocation.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1150
Based on the amount of merit spent by CryptopreneurBrainboss so far, I can confirm that he is one of the merit source.
He spent an average of 23.5 sMerit per month last year on the Nigerian local board, while he has spent an average of 53 sMerit per month (January - July 2023) on the same local board. But it would be better if there were additional merit source there because that could help more users get merit worth it with the quality of the posts.

Igebotz, I'm support your app and wish you all the best for your good intention to contribute.
staff
Merit distribution may be doing well on the General Board, but some of the local boards are far behind in terms of merit distribution ratio + Nigerian local board is the only active board without a merit source + we have an avarage of 120 active members monthly.
. Yeah I knows, it sucks that local boards usually have to wait got overall merit amount shared to drip down to have a chance to get their own, but for some reason theymos tends do do it that way. But who knows knows, maybe he change that approach and starts approving new merit sources individually and not in bulk.

A general  board merit source. He is not a Nigerian local board source, but as a local, he assists in whatever manner he can. His Source is insufficient to cover two boards (General and Local). We need a source that is particular to our board, just as it is on other local boards. Some local have more than three.

I will drop a PM for thyemos later this week to keep him on the radar.
Pages:
Jump to: