Pages:
Author

Topic: Ignore list of mass paid signature advertisement users (4200+ users) - page 3. (Read 62270 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
I wonder if this would lag the forum if enough people were using it.
legendary
Activity: 977
Merit: 1000
If you own business that you advertise in your signature, does that count as an paid signature?   Because I see you added smoothie. He advertise his business in his profile signature.

Could you list name by alphabet? So we could easily browse each others.

Read the FAQ in the first post and then press ctrl+f to be amazed Shocked.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
If you own business that you advertise in your signature, does that count as an paid signature?   Because I see you added smoothie. He advertise his business in his profile signature.

Could you list name by alphabet? So we could easily browse each others.
legendary
FUD Philanthropist™
Good idea adding Grue's script to the first post.
I did not know about the config option etc.
I used it as it is with no changes on Firefox.

So now users have 3 different ways to accomplish a similar result  Grin
legendary
I added this to the first post as an alternative method. Thanks.
legendary
You're right. I'll add this to the original post. My computer is doing some other work at the moment and I'm limited to mobile. I'll add it shortly. It will give users options on how they'd like to block these signatures and users.
legendary
Activity: 1274
You STILL don't get it.
I see a pattern here.. you seem to be difficult and fail to "get" what people are saying.

The script / add-on thing i mentioned here that you ignored me on countless times..
does the SAME thing you are doing.

Q: Why don't you block all signatures and move along?
A: Because I care about the problem these signatures are causing, not the signatures.

The signature or who uses it is not in question to me, at least.

Also the script your are mentioning, in fact, does not do the same thing I'm doing. This script merely makes it where I cannot see certain signature and does not ignore the user. This script is a self-inflicted [less than] band-aid.

If that script already finds and hides paid signatures it can easily be modified to also hide posts above them.
And then it would do what your list does with real time update.

I looked at the script and noticed a few problems:
1. It cannot be easily modified. This is programmed to block signatures, not users. You would need an entirely new script to ignore the users.
2. It downloads more scripts within the script, which seems potentially unsafe. Edit: Disregard this. The links do not function and are only for updating the script manually.  
3. (The Show Stopper) It uses a scoring system. So lighter mass advertisements would pass. It cannot individually determine good from bad, personal from mass. So this would stir up several more problems. The same problems which others (and you) say my list has, but much worse.
4. It does not record who is blocked.

1. It is very easy to modify actually, I know only some basics of js and took me 2minutes to figure out how to hide full posts instead of just signatures.
Just change "("div .signature")" to ("div .windowbg2") and it will do exactly that. Tested and working well.
3. Yep it isn't perfect but neither is this and it would bring in real time auto update which is big improvement.
4. Does it matter? It blocks them in real time so where do you need list?

As I said before, you and others are fine with the bulk of today's users monetizing the forum and accounts. I'm not fine with it. How does this script solve this and the problem of massive forum degradation?

Just like your ignore list does? It hides posts made by them.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106
what makes you think that you wearing a signature of your own business and thus monetizing your account and this forum
are better than those who wear a commercial/paid signature?
yeah,lets ignore everyone wearing a paid signature and miss out on posts by,lets say Shorena or others just because we dislike sigspammers
don't throw the baby out with the bathwater
legendary
You STILL don't get it.
I see a pattern here.. you seem to be difficult and fail to "get" what people are saying.

The script / add-on thing i mentioned here that you ignored me on countless times..

A: Because I care about the problem these signatures are causing, not the signatures.

Also the script your are mentioning, in fact, does not do the same thing I'm doing. This script merely makes it where I cannot see certain signature and does not ignore the user. This script is a self-inflicted [less than] band-aid.

If that script already finds and hides paid signatures it can easily be modified to also hide posts above them.

1. It cannot be easily modified. This is programmed to block signatures, not users. You would need an entirely new script to ignore the users.
2. It downloads more scripts within the script, which seems potentially unsafe. Edit: Disregard this. The links do not function and are only for updating the script manually.  
3. (The Show Stopper) It uses a scoring system. So lighter mass advertisements would pass. It cannot individually determine good from bad, personal from mass. So this would stir up several more problems. The same problems which others (and you) say my list has, but much worse.

1. It is very easy to modify actually, I know only some basics of js and took me 2minutes to figure out how to hide full posts instead of just signatures.
Just change "("div .signature")" to ("div .windowbg2") and it will do exactly that. Tested and working well.
3. Yep it isn't perfect but neither is this and it would bring in real time auto update which is big improvement.

As I said before, you and others are fine with the bulk of today's users monetizing the forum and accounts. I'm not fine with it. How does this script solve this and the problem of massive forum degradation?
legendary
You STILL don't get it.

legendary
You STILL don't get it.

legendary
You STILL don't get it.

legendary
You STILL don't get it.

legendary
FUD Philanthropist™
Well here is the link if you guys never seen it..
Signature Adblock Script [0.5.0]

It's made a moderator here Grue and he did a good job.. it still works great.

I added a FAQ to the first post in this thread last night. I feel that may give you an answer as to why I don't block all signatures.

You STILL don't get it.

legendary
Another problem with this list is that most people on it probably don't even know they are on it.
I too was on that list for long time (even without any signature) before I coincidentally found this thread and was able to get myself removed from it.

You don't do anything to let people know they have been added on this list.
If you can't check your lists accuracy from time to time then you should at least pm people when you add them so they know to inform you after they have removed their signature.
Right now half of the people on that list may not actually belong on that list anymore.

As it happens, users add and remove mass paid signatures all the time and it is not plausible for anyone to sift through and routinely check. This is why I placed that responsibility in the hands of the user. I can individually track the ones who request to be off the list as I have a record within my pm box to make sure they simply don't re-add one after I've taken them off the list. It's a small price to pay, yes.

I do like the idea of pming each user on the list. I wonder what is the most users that can be applied to the send-to function within smf... I'll look into this later.
legendary
Another problem with this list is that most people on it probably don't even know they are on it.
I too was on that list for long time (even without any signature) before I coincidentally found this thread and was able to get myself removed from it.

You don't do anything to let people know they have been added on this list.
If you can't check your lists accuracy from time to time then you should at least pm people when you add them so they know to inform you after they have removed their signature.
Right now half of the people on that list may not actually belong on that list anymore.
legendary

I added a FAQ to the first post in this thread last night. I feel that may give you an answer as to why I don't block all signatures.
legendary
FUD Philanthropist™

legendary
This is a scriped auto-bump. The list may have been updated.
legendary
Looks like you've added 99% of the forum including the moderators and now want people to PM you to be taken off the list? Why would someone do it? You did not care about their opinion and put them on ignore without thinking if their posts were on topic and now you think they will come asking to be taken off? What a buffoon.

The 3800 ignored users are ~ 0.4% of the user base at the time of me writing this.

I only want users to PM me if they've removed their paid signature, which they can PM me. Ignored users can PM the users who have them ignored.

True, I have attempted to blocked anyone with a paid signature without considering their topics or quality of post. But, as said before in this thread many times, this campaign of mine [or a few] is about how the overall quality of posts among the forum has reached such as massive level of degradation due to paid signature advertising. Of course there are many examples of quality posts within the 3800 users that are helpful, professional, courteous, and of high quality; I do not deny this. But you must realize the lesser quality material vastly outweighs the greater quality material. I firmly believe without mass paid signature advertising, we would have the vice versa, or at least many magnitudes less of the lesser quality material. If you don't believe me, take look at any forum thread from 2009 to 2014 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=xxxx and replace xxxx with any number from 1 to ~900000). I feel these facts are indisputable. Take it or leave it.

To date, any post on this thread has been mostly complaints of possible higher quality posts being ignored or other silly irrelevant concerns. I would like to note that nobody has attempted to solve the problem that the list is addressing, massive forum degradation. It seems everyone who has replied is just peachy with the bulk of today's users monetizing the board and accounts... or.... a part of the problem themselves. I believe that says a lot in itself.
Pages:
Jump to: