Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm surprised this hobby and genre of crypto collectibles isn't more popular - page 3. (Read 889 times)

copper member
Activity: 475
Merit: 228
 Well, look at the loudest people in the room and see how they speak about the hobby? They definitely aren't helping. They probably have a lying leviathan spirit at best. Be careful who you associate and believe out there. Leviathan spirits lie and try to influence those around them to believe the lies. Then they kill spirits of others. The world is running wild with them right now. Its always the ones who speak ill of others yet never create, lift people up in the hobby or give to help benefit others, but boy do we get to here their negative opinions. I'm just glad I get to irritate the little demons with my presents and "Shine MY Light On The Battlefield"! Grin Moving on!

I don't view my pieces as collectables (even though they are or will be, because of what they are) as much as I view them as tools of freedom. I think people are extremely  undervaluing open cold storage pieces too. We haven't had an event yet that would demand them, but I can see it manifesting.

I'm making pieces now that I wish someone would have made for me to acquire a decade ago. The truth is, Caribbean Treasures pieces are some of the most economical, authentic, territorial peer to peer trade units on the market. To some its a collectable, to others its a barter system currency that provides precious metals, blockchain access and or access to bitcoin on the blockchain.  If you can score a silver cold storage piece for under $100, that is a win in my book. I think OG has a 3-coin set that a pretty cheap, but they still have to pay $168.00 entry price for them. $120 for a single.  $25-$85 is better entry for people. The whole point is having exchangeable units in cold storage, not weight of a metal. I like OGs pieces and own them, but his pieces would do better if they were to serve the customer more. Most people aren't going to type up a public key on a coin. We need to make it easier for people to do. Thats why the adoption of using more QR codes is happening. Id focus more on the security and ease of use for people rather than making a pretty picture too. A lot of people are intimidated by bitcoin and will find it annoying if they have to take 2 min worth of time to type in a public key that they will probably type in incorrectly the first time around anyway. I can hear their frustration now.....as they walk away.

I believe cold storage on precious metals will perform very well, others seem to have little faith.  If you can't afford my $65 and $85 silver built pieces, I have some even more economical pieces in copper coming soon.  Wink I think these "territorial" fractional trade units will perform similar to how private territorial pieces have performed over the last 100 years. This is without the bitcoin value attached. Then you have the more cartoony themed pieces on cheaper metals and I believe they will perform more closely to how commemoratives / Hard time tokens performed over the last 100 years. My 2 sats.

Its not hard guys! When at all time highs, Sell physical for dollars. When we crash down, buy bitcoin with the dollars. It just depends on what you are trying to get. Buy the rare cold storage pieces at all time highs. Sell them when it crashes for more bitcoin. If you have questions just ask.

I came into the hobby long ago (2011) when bitcoin wasn't about making any money, it was about using a better system. I was an "END THE FED" Ron Paul campaigner 2008-2012 who talked to people on their door steps about individual liberty, monetary policy and sound money. I still do this from time to time. Just this week I have introduced 12 people to physical bitcoins that knew little about it before. Gifting physical pieces is my "love language" and I do it as often as I can afford to. The spark and interest it builds up in them is great to see. We need more people doing this. Also, the more governments try to dissolve privacy, the more people will move our way.....its a tool remember that, a freedom tool.

If you don't believe you can profit off silver pieces that you can acquire right now for under $100 is pretty funny. People will eventually wish they could get them for under $100, Just like most pieces built before them are now hard to find under $500 redeemed.

I too try to have 1 of everything Mopar! I'm a little behind on the newer items. We need a new updated encyclopedia. I remember buying redeemed brass pieces from $100-150. Thats still a good buy if you ask me. Thats why I like $65 silver built pieces even more Wink

I think the way we are moving and how world events are merging to a currency crisis, we will soon see people fleeing dollars and seeking protection and freedom outside the system. We will see them move into bitcoin, real estate, gold and silver. We will be seeing new all time highs on collectables too. All the dollars that aren't in the USA i believe will be coming back to our shores to buy what they can. Be ready.......because physical silver and gold bitcoin storage pieces will be hotttt!

We are early!

When people seek freedom, they will find silver and gold cold storage pieces. I think we are on the verge of a whole new generation of truth and freedom seekers. People are tried of being lied to, losing privacy, losing freedom and being spiritually dead. Ultimate freedom is finding God! It is an exciting time to be alive.

Also, when you have events like FTX and Coldkeys hurting people, it will damage peoples view of our hobby for awhile. Whether it be bitcoin in general or cold storage pieces. I remember people buying at $65,000 and then it crashed down to $16,000, They stopped buying at these cheap prices because they got hurt.

There is a couple groups on facebook that I know of, (Send PM if you want in) but I don't think we will be able to find a small group of people trading physical bitcoins we have never seen before in the mountains somewhere, even though that would be amazing. I'm sure most all have an online presents. Let me know if you find more groups.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 3014
I’ll start with I owe you a phone call! Lol. I’ll call ya manana if you’re gunna be around ?

With all of the coin collectors out there and crypto stackers I am very surprised that this space isn't shown more interest by these groups as well as the general public. Now this could be for a variety of reasons:

1. The general public just doesn't really know about crypto collectibles or hologrammed coins/bars etc. (i'm leaning more towards this).

2. People don't want to get scammed due to tricksters or rug pulls from shady makers copying the private keys in creation (definitely more relevant).

3. We are still very early and this space is still maturing & growing.

4. There could be other places online that people are publicly collecting & showing their coins/ products (less likely).

5. There is a lack of interest because collectibles are already a very niche space to begin with.

6. What am I missing?

Now there are some recent developments that I definitely won't downplay that are incredible so lets look at those bullet points

• Stacks Bowers & Heritage Auctions
  • PCGS & ICG Grading crypto coins regularly - NGC with the one off Otto collection

Am I missing anything here above?

I am also curious where there might be other congregations and groups of collectors in this space outside of Btalk

1. Instagram
2. Redditt
3. Facebook
4. Other Forums

Can you guys list any specific groups where there are crypto collectible enthusiasts or other lesser known populations of folks into this hobby? ....

Most “bitcoiners” don’t like the idea of funded collectibles, see the massive scam thread above for why, as you pointed out.. I posted a 1k Gold Cas on r/Bitcoin like 4-5 years back for someone selling one, just to help spread the word, and got downvoted in to oblivion and even “flagged” as suspicious or some shit lol.which I think only Mods can do and funny thing is the head mod for r/bitcoin is Theymos (tho of course it wasn’t his doing, but just funny as theymos knows this space well). Everyone was saying we are fucking up what “they’ve worked so hard to build” in btc, self custody etc etc. I ended up just deleting it a few hours after posting it, it got so bad lol. BUT, those days seem to have passed. Half of the Reddit posts I see now on there seem to think it’s okay to store coins on exchanges like Coinbase , which is a “trustworthy” exchange. Saw this recently, not a word about it being a big fat scam and not tons of hate, like it once would have gotten - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/s/10HRRT4rGx

I and LesbianCow are the esteemed mods of r/physicalBitcoin ..we moderate a whopping 20 members maybe once a year (just now remembering we even set this up a few years back lol).

Twitter / X..whatever Elon is calling that zoo these days has a strong collectibles /art “community”. Many projects are announced there that never see the light of day here. It’s a great place to find new stuff and old.

Instagram is a decent place for finding/advertising, as you know. Ive had quite a few collectors find my “physicalcryptocurrency” page (now defunct since facebook won’t help me recover the account) and DM me questions, who ended up becoming forum members..like that Tread93 mofo Wink .  A few coin makers like Alpen coin came from Insta as well.  

I don’t have a twatter account and keep my facebook inactive, but as pointed out, def groups on facebook. I’ve found some old unknown projects there as well. Problem is many peoples fbook accounts would doxx them and aren’t interested in doing so.

YouTube IF you make videos, as “Bitcoin forum” “bitcointalk” “btalk” “btctalk” etc are almost immediately deleted if written in any comment section. Love Google. They allow for scams to pay them to advertise like crazy, let bots run wild on there with fake scam conversations..but heaven forbid you mention this forum. I still have no fckn clue why.

Shout out to the bitcoinTalkShow, who I believe is at least partially ran/organized by this forums admin Cyrus, who’s a frequent face seen around these parts. The shows second to last episode featured our little hobby here, which is awesome (@cyrus hoping to see the show continue!!) https://youtu.be/y7YxgElroyU?si=x0z3sZdIDg6Re2mY

We had a Discord group for all collectors interested in the hobby but I believe it got crowded with scammers and was shut down. Someone needs to re-establish the channel, which was the plan I believe.

Pretty sure there’s an AOL chat room for collectors.. “Anthony/Canada/50 seeking to chat with bitcoin collectors“ 😬
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224
EIN: 82-3893490
I think a physical in person art gallery of physical btc coins, if advertised correctly could grow the demand 10X over night for sure. Imo

been a dream of mine since 2021 - I just simply aint that rich lol
copper member
Activity: 490
Merit: 40
I think a physical in person art gallery of physical btc coins, if advertised correctly could grow the demand 10X over night for sure. Imo
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 3596
With all of the coin collectors out there and crypto stackers I am very surprised that this space isn't shown more interest by these groups as well as the general public. Now this could be for a variety of reasons:

1. The general public just doesn't really know about crypto collectibles or hologrammed coins/bars etc. (i'm leaning more towards this).

2. People don't want to get scammed due to tricksters or rug pulls from shady makers copying the private keys in creation (definitely more relevant).

4. There could be other places online that people are publicly collecting & showing their coins/ products (less likely).

5. There is a lack of interest because collectibles are already a very niche space to begin with.

6. What am I missing?

Now there are some recent developments that I definitely won't downplay that are incredible so lets look at those bullet points

• PCGS & ICG Grading crypto coins regularly - NGC with the one off Otto collection

I am also curious where there might be other congregations and groups of collectors in this space outside of Btalk

1. Instagram
2. Redditt
3. Facebook
4. Other Forums

Can you guys list any specific groups where there are crypto collectible enthusiasts or other lesser known populations of folks into this hobby? ....

To answer the bottom part of your post, I know there are a few strong collecting groups on Facebook.
I know Reddit has bitcoin sub-reddit, but not sure about any physical postings/groups.
Instagram I know has been good for some sales of certain physical cryptos... not sure about any groups/reels that focus on physical crypto

Now.. onto your question:

1) They don't... most of the general public might barely even know about crypto due to some mainstram news article that more than likely paints it in a negative light

2) Correct... there have only been a handful of makers over the short timespan that have proven to not be scammers.

3) I agree Cheesy

4) Not likely...from what many of us know, this forum is pretty much the only place besides ebay or Scarce City that physical cryptos get much marketing
   And possibly include the social media groups, but I am not sure what people show off on those platforms

5) Yes.. we are a niche inside a niche. There are people that have been met over the years that have been involved from the beginning that have had no clue that there are physical cryptos

6) Nothing... Hopefully with some of the larger notable things that have happened with physical crypto recently, there will be more of a spotlight on it.
legendary
I agree - the people buying these "limited mintage" grams of precious metals, new producer who's a snake oil saleman.. yeah yeah yeah they will never get their money back. I also have to agree that I would have WAY MORE $$$ AND BTC if I would have just bought btc instead of collectibles... but some of us are just addicts

agreed my "1 of everything" has me spending a lot of sats lol luckily the high prices save me sometimes as things can and do get out of available range.
Activity: 868
Merit: 178
Satoshi loves sleazy bitcoin too - Ordinals
I think it is the prices being put on collectibles - feels like a bubble that is going to pop and soon. Premiums are getting insane.

Because of this and for some, collectibles may not make much sense financially - if you are buying any collectible with Bitcoin - you most likely will never profit - you will not be able to sell it for more BTC than you paid. And if you are buying with Fiat you would profit better to simply buy and hodl Bitcoin.

That and most sellers are charging premiums thru the roof. You have makers who are new "buy hey I only made 21 so 20x premiums make sense"  --- It really doesn't. But those makers will still have buyers who buy out of fomo or who dont really care about the premiums and just like the piece.

In my opinions when premium was in the 10%-25% range or even as high as 50%, there was a lot more traffic. But 1000% premiums and up tends to slow traffic.

I see 10g silver coins being sold for around 100 or more in USD. Or 1 oz being sold for $500 plus but hey, there is only 50 or less so "super rare".

Those prices make sense to me for older and well established makers. Makes zero sense to me for the new ones. That said, I sometimes also still buy at these crazy rates. Many do. I just think it is lower with the higher premiums being demanded.

Heck, I just paid around $500 for a non precious metal coin with $15 in BTC because it was 1 of 5 made. It happens. lol

I agree - the people buying these "limited mintage" grams of precious metals, new producer who's a snake oil saleman.. yeah yeah yeah they will never get their money back. I also have to agree that I would have WAY MORE $$$ AND BTC if I would have just bought btc instead of collectibles... but some of us are just addicts
copper member
Activity: 490
Merit: 40
For a while now, my gut has told me one day some massively, large influencer,/celebrity, or politician or possible public figure will show an interest in these coins by talking about them publicly, and they will become instantly one of the most hottest physical collectibles on the planet. I’ve always wished they’d make a movie like the Italian Job, but instead of them stealing gold bars,  it’s a briefcase full of Lealana coins.
legendary
I think it is the prices being put on collectibles - feels like a bubble that is going to pop and soon. Premiums are getting insane.

Because of this and for some, collectibles may not make much sense financially - if you are buying any collectible with Bitcoin - you most likely will never profit - you will not be able to sell it for more BTC than you paid. And if you are buying with Fiat you would profit better to simply buy and hodl Bitcoin.

That and most sellers are charging premiums thru the roof. You have makers who are new "buy hey I only made 21 so 20x premiums make sense"  --- It really doesn't. But those makers will still have buyers who buy out of fomo or who dont really care about the premiums and just like the piece.

In my opinions when premium was in the 10%-25% range or even as high as 50%, there was a lot more traffic. But 1000% premiums and up tends to slow traffic.

I see 10g silver coins being sold for around 100 or more in USD. Or 1 oz being sold for $500 plus but hey, there is only 50 or less so "super rare".

Those prices make sense to me for older and well established makers. Makes zero sense to me for the new ones. That said, I sometimes also still buy at these crazy rates. Many do. I just think it is lower with the higher premiums being demanded.

Heck, I just paid around $500 for a non precious metal coin with $15 in BTC because it was 1 of 5 made. It happens. lol
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1268
I think with Stacks Bowers, Heritage Auctions, PCGS, ICG and NGC recognising collectible
crypto coins it open up the space to possible FIAT numismatics for sure.

5 very interesting questions nonetheless ...

Yes, the same way thy dont know or care about FIAT collectibles either.

Possibly a factor but if they dont know about crypto coin collectibles in the first place
it wont be an issue. Its a small concern though, there are plenty if diy's, unloaded, still loaded
10 years on collectibles which could be deemed 'safe'

Thats a possibility because until my opening point we were on our own little niche club

I think they would be found out by now, I might do a search on some numismatic
forums and see if there are crypto sections.

Yea this ties in with Q1.
Activity: 1098
Merit: 534

6. What am I missing?

I am also curious where there might be other groups of collectors in this space outside of Btalk I will begin to list all I can think of (in no particular order)

1. Instagram
2. Redditt
3. Facebook
4. ebay
5. Youtube
6. Twitter/X
7. Scarce City
8. Discord
9. Telegram
10. AOL (LOL)
11. Other Forums

Any Missing? Thx to MinerJones & ChibiCty for the input - I think I will also add links to all of these.

Pages:
Jump to: