Pages:
Author

Topic: In event of your death - page 10. (Read 6000 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 257
June 27, 2017, 02:41:24 AM
Maybe you can make all your private keys as the inheritance you have stored in a place, then you tell your nephew to open them after you die. This may be a way you can do to a nephew who you have believed to receive.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
June 27, 2017, 02:41:03 AM
I am wondering what provisions have you all made in case you die before cashing out your bitcoins? I am single, live alone and both my parents are deceased. My siblings dont care about any of this, however I would like my nieces and nephews to get some of my profits but they are still very young right now. I dont trust lawyers to give them my private keys. I am wondering, what can I do?

Right now, the best is just to stop thinking about the eventuality of death and start living life to the fullest whether we like it or not, death will come at its time and there won't be anything to do to stop it while some come with notice in other to put the house in order, other comes without any notification. For me, I plan to live off my investment to the extent I can afford at the moment and those coming afterwards will always survive on their own.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 535
Bitcoin- in bullish time
June 27, 2017, 02:36:20 AM
I am wondering what provisions have you all made in case you die before cashing out your bitcoins? I am single, live alone and both my parents are deceased. My siblings dont care about any of this, however I would like my nieces and nephews to get some of my profits but they are still very young right now. I dont trust lawyers to give them my private keys. I am wondering, what can I do?
I think the best thing to do is to just give your private keys to your uncle or any adult that you have in your family so you can have an assurance that they will keep your bitcoin or the private keys for at least more years. You just need to have a small presentation to them that is discussing about how they can keep it safe and also how they can use it when they really need money and i think that is enough for them to secure your bitcoins.
Activity: 910
Merit: 523
June 27, 2017, 02:29:23 AM

The problem is, you're single, alone. Get married man, and share your wealth with your descendants.
I'm sorry if you can't do that, and the best option is share to nieces and nephews, do you think your life can't last long, like 5-10 years later? You should tell to your nephews and nieces at the right time which they could understand about it. Make some deposit boxes and give the keys to them, make it like a treasure.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 27, 2017, 02:04:50 AM
You could write down your private keys in a paper and store it in a locker and inform them to take it and access your account after your death.If your health is at critical stage and you want to take immediate action,then you could just sell your bitcoins since bitcoin price is good now and buy a property in their name and give it to them.
Activity: 756
June 26, 2017, 11:58:59 PM

I am also facing the same situation. I am not married, and my parents are not tech savvy enough to understand the technology behind Bitcoin. I haven't shared my private keys or wallet backups with anyone, as I am afraid that they will double-cross me and steal my coins. What should I do to make sure that my coins don't go waste?
This is a very difficult situation and just can not cope with it. If no one trusts anyone, it will not work. You put yourself in a bad position with your distrust. Inheritance must be made unambiguously. And teach the heirs in advance.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
June 26, 2017, 11:52:37 PM

I am also facing the same situation. I am not married, and my parents are not tech savvy enough to understand the technology behind Bitcoin. I haven't shared my private keys or wallet backups with anyone, as I am afraid that they will double-cross me and steal my coins. What should I do to make sure that my coins don't go waste?
Activity: 294
Merit: 103
June 26, 2017, 11:44:49 PM
Write down your wallet's seed hidden in a book. Show the book cover and those twelve words to your siblings, explain them how to re-create a wallet with these words. Show them how to find the book in your shelf. Don't involve lawyers or anybody strange to your family.
vh
Activity: 699
Merit: 666
June 26, 2017, 10:48:50 PM
Head over to the marketplace auction area.   There are a few creative folks over there thank make physical coins with security holograms protecting the private key.   You have to destroy the coin and hologram to get to the key.   It's a good way to pass bitcoins on as a legacy item without simply revealing the private key to the handler.

that thing is going to cost a lot, it is best if you invest that money in buying more bitcoins instead. the physical coins are only good for those who are collectors.
in this case OP can write a will and in that he can simply add his private keys or the password to his wallet for example. or better yet go to a lawyer and do all this.

I'm emphasizing legacy over profit.   One of the point is that it is a collectors item.   If I had a wealthy uncle that left me bitcoins, it would be awesome receiving a physical coin.  Like getting a rare valuable 1960 rookie card.  You can't decide if you should keep it or cash it out.   It's an effective way to be remembered.

Activity: 588
Merit: 256
June 26, 2017, 10:25:31 PM
Head over to the marketplace auction area.   There are a few creative folks over there thank make physical coins with security holograms protecting the private key.   You have to destroy the coin and hologram to get to the key.   It's a good way to pass bitcoins on as a legacy item without simply revealing the private key to the handler.

that thing is going to cost a lot, it is best if you invest that money in buying more bitcoins instead. the physical coins are only good for those who are collectors.
in this case OP can write a will and in that he can simply add his private keys or the password to his wallet for example. or better yet go to a lawyer and do all this.
Yes it sounds better by writing a will and handing it to a lawyer by doing so then we fully trust the lawyer.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1338
June 26, 2017, 09:24:50 PM
I have not taken any steps to make sure my family gets my bitcoin but I have been thinking about it, it is a difficult thing to do, you do not want to give your private keys because then if they lose that, someone could steal your bitcoin, what I have been thinking is giving them an USB that has the private keys but the USB is going to be encrypted, and I will put the password in my will that way no one can get my bitcoin until I passed away.
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
June 26, 2017, 02:43:48 PM
If you do not trust your lawyer then do not give your private key to him/her, maybe just a piece of paper that contains the location to where you hid your private key (a vault or something with key or passcode). Or you can give it to your siblings even they do not care about Bitcoin, tell them that it is for your nephew/niece. And they can just touch your wallet after you die.
You don't do that either.  Giving them the location and the means to get in means that they can enter it at any time, which is almost exactly the same thing as just giving them the private key except it requires the lawyer going for a walk.

I mean, it's not like lawyers could be bastards or anything  Wink.
Activity: 490
Merit: 256
June 26, 2017, 02:38:33 PM
If you do not trust your lawyer then do not give your private key to him/her, maybe just a piece of paper that contains the location to where you hid your private key (a vault or something with key or passcode). Or you can give it to your siblings even they do not care about Bitcoin, tell them that it is for your nephew/niece. And they can just touch your wallet after you die.
Activity: 490
Merit: 520
June 26, 2017, 09:46:57 AM
I never thought about it like this to be completely honest, I don't really have any plans for who I can give my Bitcoin to in the event that I die. Maybe I should get that figured out before I do end up kicking the bucket to be honest.
I don't really have anyone to leave it to, but I would probably just include the private keys in my will. Nothing fancy, just keep it simple in a document most won't read till I die.
Activity: 700
Merit: 251
June 26, 2017, 09:36:36 AM
Why are you thinking about death :/.
Hmm maybe you can put your key, or wallet password etc in your email? And send it to your other account, or just save it to the draft?
Then write a testament about your email and tell your niece or nephew to open it when you died?
okay this is such an absurd idea but people won't imagine that you put something valuable in your email, right?
Activity: 840
Merit: 501
June 26, 2017, 08:46:49 AM
If you dont trust anyone then the best answer is the deposit box, you can write your private key and put the instruction on how to used or withdraw the coin and put it in deposit box, the other way is to store all of your password in your laptop and when you die just inherit it to your niece and nephew
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
June 26, 2017, 08:05:41 AM
-Make a paper wallet
-Put it in a bank deposit box
-In your will, leave an explanation and say that they can access the box.

You're done.
Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
June 25, 2017, 12:54:10 PM
How about you print out paper wallets and then keep them in a safe? When you draft you will, maybe you can have the password in it and it would be given to your heirs when you die. I think this is better than having your bitcoin in exchanges which might ask for email logins and 2-step auth to access the fund.

the thing you are looking for is called digital locker.., eg : https://www.passwordbox.com/legacylocker

you upload your documents, or passwords to it and set nominee or heir and then after you die, they can access that account which contains all the accounts and their passwords and digital copies of your documents.,

there is another site where you can upload scanned documents too, i cant recall its name , but i hope you get the idea.

First time I heard about this. Might look into it.

I would have asked why you would be thinking of death when you are apparently just starting your life, then it dawned on me that death is inevitable. I still wanna live very long so death is the last thing on my mind right now and I know God's gat my back but if I am to do what you wanna do, I would just write a will with my lawyer then open a safe with a good bank to keep all my wallet details which are to be disclosed to my lawyer in the presence of my named nephews and nieces and all beneficiaries only when I am deceased. In that way, you should be able to share your profit with no kwams.

True. You could end up saving the best for last, toiling so that you'd have a good life and then you die and did not enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Activity: 779
June 25, 2017, 11:22:16 AM

If ever I die, I would want to have my relative or at least have a friend have access to my account. I also would like to think that a notarized will or a last will and testament can suffice to all the profits that I could make and be able to have my earnings be shared to my family or loved one.
Activity: 434
Merit: 270
June 24, 2017, 04:27:49 PM
the thing you are looking for is called digital locker.., eg : https://www.passwordbox.com/legacylocker

you upload your documents, or passwords to it and set nominee or heir and then after you die, they can access that account which contains all the accounts and their passwords and digital copies of your documents.,

there is another site where you can upload scanned documents too, i cant recall its name , but i hope you get the idea.

Pages:
Jump to: