Pages:
Author

Topic: In the gun debate who do you think is the most stupid? - page 4. (Read 15506 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
To understand the pro-gun control position, imagine that everyone is carrying around an armed, ready to blow, rain-triggered nuclear explosive strapped to their hip. That should get you close to the level of fear.

Is that your dream?

You cannot be this stupid and still dress yourself in the morning. This was intended to illustrate to a rational person the level of fear which you live in that someone, somewhere, owns a pistol.

We have it on record in this forum (unless you go delete your posts) that you indeed favor an AnCap society in which everyone may keep nuclear bombs with zero regulation.

Indeed I do. But that is not the same as the scenario I posited there, now is it?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
To understand the pro-gun control position, imagine that everyone is carrying around an armed, ready to blow, rain-triggered nuclear explosive strapped to their hip. That should get you close to the level of fear.

Is that your dream?

You cannot be this stupid and still dress yourself in the morning. This was intended to illustrate to a rational person the level of fear which you live in that someone, somewhere, owns a pistol.

We have it on record in this forum (unless you go delete your posts) that you indeed favor an AnCap society in which everyone may keep nuclear bombs with zero regulation.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
I was referring to the fact that hazek was not adding anything new to the debate, and he was doing it in a rude and shouty manner. Do you honestly think that sort of post helps anyone understand either point of view?

Not really, but it wasn't meant to add anything new, or really explain anything to anyone. It was ridicule, pure and simple. ...

Of course it was. And this thread is about poking fun at emotional slanging matches that don't add anything useful to the debate. Don't misconstrue my comment as being pro gun control, it was solely that hazek made the type of comment the OP created the thread to ridicule in the first place.

Unless it was a piss-take and hazek is actually pro gun control?

There is no debate because one side doesn't have a leg to stand on. That was my point. There is nothing to understand here except that one side sees the reality for what it is and acts accordingly and the other side doesn't and instead clings on to some sort of a fantasy and acts irrationally and I call that the most stupid thing one can possibly do.

I never said the pro gun side on the other hand isn't stupid. No the vast majority of them are stupid too because they let themselves being goaded into arguing with irrational people instead of just standing their ground and may the irrational do whatever.

Eventually that is what it will come down to. Either the pro gun stand their ground and defend their position even if it means by any means necessary or the irrational side will win and force the pro gun side to give up their weapons. There's no other way to resolve a dispute with irrational people, cause they're irrational. You defend yourself against them or they win.

Is that your dream?

...hazek made the type of comment the OP created the thread to ridicule in the first place.

And did so to answer the question posed in the title. See the top part of this post for further evidence of Hazek's position, that the gun control nuts are not just the most stupid participants in the debate (or even just the only stupid participants) but are actually insane.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Yes, literally.  Do you know what the term 'literary license' means?  Is English your first language?

No, I do not know exactly. No, it is not my first language. Do you have a problem with that?

The accusation is that, generally speaking, gun control advocates consider the tool to be the part of the equation to be controlled. This implies, and for some is literally so by their own admission, that they consider the tool to be fundamentally evil/bad/harmful etc. That is the anamorphasizing that your side of the debate is accused of, for which Myrkul was openly & plainly mocking you for.

Let me understand, you are saying that I accused you to posses an 'evil/bad/harmful' weapon because users are arguing for the benefits of gun control?

At no moment I even came near to suggest that.

Let me remind you the premise from organofcorti: 'Sure. But if you didn't own a gun, you wouldn't feel safe.'

This is your premise: 'I don't believe that is generally true.  It's certainly not true for myself.  I've never felt unsafe, before or after owning firearms. All my firearms spend the vast majority of their time locked in a rather large safe, because they are valuable. The rest of the time, they are shooting at paper. I don't hunt, myself.(...) and the rifle is the king of personal weapons.  I'm a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, and I'm fully aware of that.'

My observation: 'Then, because you do not hunt (and therefore, you do not kill), you can safely transfer back to you the moral conduct and avoid any criticism. In other words, when your premise can become target of criticism you assign your conduct to the firearm, when your premise cannot become target of criticism you do not assign your conduct to the firearm.'

I did not said that you "has done something illegal or wrong", even less that you firearms are 'evil/bad/harmful'. I am showing off how you act in the debate to avoid criticism. You even proclaimed that a weapon is 'the king of personal weapons'.

So, yourself assigned human or moral qualities to the firearms, not me.

Get it over!

No.  You made an observation for which you believe I were justifying my intent.  I have already explained your error of observation.  I have made zero attempt to justify my firearms ownership.  Again, I do not require your consent.

You indeed made an attempt to justify your firearm ownership: 'The military culture was not for me either, but I do enjoy shooting, and also understand that the judicious use of force is a cornerstone of civilization; and the rifle is the king of personal weapons. I'm a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, and I'm fully aware of that. Many of those here that defend the personal ownership of weaponry are also sheepdogs.'

The majority of them, yes.  And yet, the vast majority of them are never employed in that purpose.  At least not in this country.  Punching holes in paper is, by a wide margin, the most widely intended purpose of those who buy them.  This is particularly true with regard to rimfire caliber firearms, many of which are specifically designed to maximize their effectiveness for this particular purpose.  All you have to do to find those is google 'target pistol' or 'target rifle' and you will immediately notice that they have features that make them particularly poor choices for self-defense or hunting.

This alone puts the lie to your line of thought.

Once again, I didn't present a premise.  You are projecting.  You seem to believe that you are engaged in a debate.  You are not.  I do not require your approval.

This is a forum, do you know that? There is a debate going on here. At no moment I demanded you to present any justification to approve your right to own a firearm. You presented yourself a justification why you own a firearm and I made an observation of your premises.

I said: 'So far I made an observation of how you justify your intent to use the firearms you own.'

You said: 'The rest of the time, they are shooting at paper. I do have a concealed carry license, but rarely carry at all.  I have the weapons, and the license, in the event that I ever do feel that I should need to carry.'

You implied that you have the intent to shooting at papers to entertain yourself. You are showing "to be right or reasonable" your intent to use the firearms you own.

Not less than three of my firearms were specifically designed to sling projectiles at paper targets, and would have a limited usefulness in the role of self-defense.  I literally have other firearms that were bought to serve that role, and designed for that purpose.

Once again, you presume that you are engaged in a debate.  You are not.  You are being mocked.

Oh, you are in the debate, but I am not? So the "sheepdog" metaphor is just a joke?

Accusing me of a falacy of logic has no mening if I'm not engaged in a debate.

Really? So you are just fooling around?

'I'm not anti-gun because I joined the USMC at 17, partialy out of rebellion to my childhood.'

I am not, and I don't believe that Myrkul is either.  There is no debate here; neither concerning this topic generally (with non-citizens of the United States) nor in this thread specificly.

You have no more say about how I live or act than Piers Morgan does.  And like him, you are welcome to your opinion; but you can keep it.  Your opinion on my rights is inmaterial.  You don't have an argument you even have the standing to compel me to respond to.

I still have the right to criticize your actions and arguments in this forum. Do you have a problem with that?

There is no need that all sheepdogs are protecting socity at any given time.  The only requirement is that the sheepdogs exist, or the sheeps' civilization cannot continue to exist.  That is the premise of the analogy.  Again, did you bother to read ithe link I provided?  Or did you simply not understand it?

You really are trying to stretch the analogy beyond it's limits, but what if a sheepdog society would lead to warfare?  What difference would it make to the sheep?  They are no longer around.  BTW, you're a sheep, in this analogy.  Don't take that as an insult, but you wouldn't be around to complain about the vilent nature of society if only the sheepdogs remained.  I think that it's an irony that you are falling right in line with the predictions of the author of that analogy.  Maybe you would see it if you bothered to read the link.

An article with self-prediction elements... How pathetic. I should write one of these one day and then use in a debates here:

http://a-human-right.com/

You have the right, but not the ability.  What you don't understand that your government does not grant you rights; it can either respect them and provide a legal structure that standardizes the social rules, or refuse to honor your rights and deny any practical utilization of your rights.  I live in the former, you live in the latter.

There is no such thing of 'practical utilization of your rights'.

I do not require your approval to honor rights which you pretend I have. You are not in a position to dictate what rights I have.

You are comfortable with it because you have been conditioned to believe that you are safe and protected by the uniformed sheepdogs.  This is understandable.

I said: 'I am comfortable with this lack of right because it is not just applied over me.'

So from this premise, you made a whole straw man argument.

How funny you are!

I still have the right of self-defense and I voluntary agree with society that men and women in uniforms can protect me.

You know what is really funny?

'You might not like the idea that we are around, but we are necessary for your peaceful society to continue to exist; whether or not we may be wearing a uniform.'

So, what is what, Moonshadow? Is the individual entitled or not entitled to feel 'safe and protected by the uniformed sheepdogs'?

Sometimes, othertimes it was not.   You speak of a topic for which you have already admitted you have no first hand knowledge.

Well, I did not admitted that. Moreover, I still can argue with basic knowledge about a subject.

That varies significantly. The majority of my own firearms are rimfires, so they would be particulary ineffective if self-defense was their primary design consideration.  Excellent at small game hunting, though.  A rabbit doesn't leave much meat if you use a caliber actually intended for self-defense levels of energy.

If you are trying to ask if I have considered "less lethal" weaponry for self-defense, then the answer is yes.  I actually have such weapons, including but not limited to, a 12 gauge shotgun that is designed to fire a shorter than normal shotgun shell, packed with rock salt and pepper powder.   The explicit design goal is to inflict pain without great risk of lethal tissue damage, and without the risk of a projectile with enough kinetic energy to be able to pass through standard gysum board home walls and (potentially) harm my neighbors.  This is an escalation of force method, since (should my invader not get the idea) later shells in the line up do include harder and heaver projectiles.  A 12 gauge shotgun is very versitile.

Wow.. Now at least you presented logical explanations for simple questions.

I am glad for your choices and for your knowledge of firearms.

Well done.

Or you are just mocking me?
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
I was referring to the fact that hazek was not adding anything new to the debate, and he was doing it in a rude and shouty manner. Do you honestly think that sort of post helps anyone understand either point of view?

Not really, but it wasn't meant to add anything new, or really explain anything to anyone. It was ridicule, pure and simple. ...

Of course it was. And this thread is about poking fun at emotional slanging matches that don't add anything useful to the debate. Don't misconstrue my comment as being pro gun control, it was solely that hazek made the type of comment the OP created the thread to ridicule in the first place.

Unless it was a piss-take and hazek is actually pro gun control?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Is that your dream?
You've gotta love the stupidity of someone who makes inflammatory posts in a thread about the stupidity of making inflammatory posts.

It doesn't get more stupid than that.  Roll Eyes

The topic is which side is more stupid. He made a clear argument that the "anti-gun" side is the stupid one, specifically that rather than eliminate the tools they seek to eliminate, what they will be doing is concentrating the ownership of those tools in the hands of a political elite, and that the idea that a piece of paper can stop someone from acquiring a tool is absurd.

From the OP:

I thought as someone from the UK I could have a different take on this gun 'debate' which seems to have devolved at least on the official places like mainstream news into nothing more than a shouting and insult match .......

Not really, but it wasn't meant to add anything new, or really explain anything to anyone. It was ridicule, pure and simple. To understand the anti-gun control position, ask Thomas Jefferson:

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

donator
Poor impulse control.
You've gotta love the stupidity of someone who makes inflammatory posts in a thread about the stupidity of making inflammatory posts.

The topic is which side is more stupid. He made a clear argument that the "anti-gun" side is the stupid one, specifically that rather than eliminate the tools they seek to eliminate, what they will be doing is concentrating the ownership of those tools in the hands of a political elite, and that the idea that a piece of paper can stop someone from acquiring a tool is absurd.

From the OP:

I thought as someone from the UK I could have a different take on this gun 'debate' which seems to have devolved at least on the official places like mainstream news into nothing more than a shouting and insult match .......

You got to love the stupidity of the position that some words on a piece of paper will stop evil people from getting the tools they want to do evil shit with. Not to mention they need a whole other group of thugs armed precisely with the tools they want to get rid of to enforce those words.

donator
Poor impulse control.
You got to love the stupidity of the position that some words on a piece of paper will stop evil people from getting the tools they want to do evil shit with. Not to mention they need a whole other group of thugs armed precisely with the tools they want to get rid of to enforce those words.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
http://cogitansiuvenis.blogspot.com/2012/07/is-america-really-more-violent-than.html

Here's the last paragraph...

One final point needs to be made. The argument over which nation is more violent is largely academic. The point is that in most parts of Western Europe and the US you do not have to fear harm coming to your person. There are parts of cities across both sides of the Atlantic that would be foolish to reside in for very long after dark, but the fact is that the violence levels in both continents are far lower than they are in other parts of the world (save parts of East Asia). Either way, whether the US is relatively more violent than the EU or vice versa, I wouldn't be in a rush to install iron grates in your windows in either parts of the world.

What I find most ironic about that last sentence, is that the home that I own is "hardened"; including (but not limited to) the use of wrought iron grating on the ground level windows.  A further irony, is that I didn't do it.  It's a 'historical' home, built in 1905, and protected in it's current form by zoning laws that limit what I can do to alter the house itself.  Whoever built it, however, was very concerned about the physical security of the second & third floors.  I would not be surprised at all to eventually discover a well hidden safe in here someday.  Even the choice of construction materials favors a secure home, as the method of wall plaster is one that used an expanded steel meshing, but a mesh gauge that is thicker than was the norm, thus making a hammer hole access to circumvent a locked door very difficult when compared to modern construction techniques.  The stairwell is enclosed, offering zero access to the upper floors without passing through an internal security door with it's own deadbolt, that we use nightly.  The stairwell is straight, and there is a door immediately to one side at the top of the stairwell, offering a right handed shooter the ability to fire down the stairwell from the cover of the heavy wooden doorjam, and the ability to lock an intruder out of two of the second floor bedrooms and prevent ready access to the third floor stairwell with another lockable security door.  If the concept of a "panic room" had been invented by 1905, I have no doubt that this house would have had one.

The house's inherently designed security features are one of the reasons that I bought it, and was apparently one of the reasons that the last owner bought it also; for I was told after buying it (both by an old neighbor and a veteran beat cop) that the last owner (who died in the house) was a notorious pimp, and the cops were aware of the difficulty in raiding the home fast enough to aquire any actionable evidence of prostitution, and would not bother most of the time.  I imagine the idea of a forced entry raid into that home, considering the nature of the stairwell, wasn't a particularly inviting idea either; should the crazy old pimp decide that suicide-by-cop was preferable to natural causes.  In the end, he died of smoke inhalation from a fire, which may have actually been suicide by arson.  Fortunately for the firemen, he was considerate enough to leave the doors unlocked.
This is a great one:

legendary
That's a great site. I particularly like the survey if you click "a liability." If any of the pro-centralization of gun ownership people here would like to share their answers, I think it would be illuminating for all of us.

Check out his posters.  Notice, also, that many of them are sub-texted in Russian.  The owner & author of that website, and photographer of the many photos, was born in the former USSR.  He has, more or less, dedicated his adult life to highlighting the BS to his own former countrymen.

I have never met anyone who was more passionate about their own individual rights than those who were not born in the United States.  Most seem to take their newly respected rights to heart, and any threats to those rights very personally.
That's a great site. I particularly like the survey if you click "a liability." If any of the pro-centralization of gun ownership people here would like to share their answers, I think it would be illuminating for all of us.

legendary
That was literary license, since I'm not the only one who utilizes my firearms to sling lead and copper at paper.  I was not anamorphasizing, get past it.

No, you literally used 'they' as pronoun for the noun 'firearm', not 'who utilizes my firearms'

'All my firearms (...) their (...), because they (...). they are (...) I (...).'

Yes, literally.  Do you know what the term 'literary license' means?  Is English your first language?

No, seriously.  You are really reaching here.  You are actually accusing me of what Myrkul was calling you guys out for, that you seem to have entirely misunderstood.

I beg your pardon, but what are you talking about? What is exactly the accusation?

The accusation is that, generally speaking, gun control advocates consider the tool to be the part of the equation to be controlled.  This implies, and for some is literally so by their own admission, that they consider the tool to be fundamentally evil/bad/harmful etc.  That is the anamorphasizing that your side of the debate is accused of, for which Myrkul was openly & plainly mocking you for.

Again, is English your first languge? Perhaps this is simply a misunderstanding?

The weapon is a tool.  It is only a tool.

Yes, a tool specially designed to kill.

The majority of them, yes.  And yet, the vast majority of them are never employed in that purpose.  At least not in this country.  Punching holes in paper is, by a wide margin, the most widely intended purpose of those who buy them.  This is particularly true with regard to rimfire caliber firearms, many of which are specifically designed to maximize their effectiveness for this particular purpose.  All you have to do to find those is google 'target pistol' or 'target rifle' and you will immediately notice that they have features that make them particularly poor choices for self-defense or hunting.

This alone puts the lie to your line of thought.

It has no moral capacity of it's own, cannot decide it's own intent.

Of course a tool do not have moral capacity. That is why your premise is misleading.

Once again, I didn't present a premise.  You are projecting.  You seem to believe that you are engaged in a debate.  You are not.  I do not require your approval.
Even it's designer can only assume it's intended use.

The tool you own was designed to kill. It was not design to merely shoot at papers or rest in locked safes.

Not less than three of my firearms were specifically designed to sling projectiles at paper targets, and would have a limited usefulness in the role of self-defense.  I literally have other firearms that were bought to serve that role, and designed for that purpose.

Myrkul was mocking you, and he still is.  You guys really aren't up for this, and are entirely unprepared for any real debate.

Argument ad hominem...

What a shame coming from you, Moonshadow.

Once again, you presume that you are engaged in a debate.  You are not.  You are being mocked.  Accusing me of a falacy of logic has no mening if I'm not engaged in a debate.  I am not, and I don't believe that Myrkul is either.  There is no debate here; neither concerning this topic generally (with non-citizens of the United States) nor in this thread specificly.  You have no more say about how I live or act than Piers Morgan does.  And like him, you are welcome to your opinion; but you can keep it.  Your opinion on my rights is inmaterial.  You don't have an argument you even have the standing to compel me to respond to.

It's not at all untrue.  It's provablely so, both today and across history.  No matter where you live, sheepdogs surround you, protect you, watch your borders & city streets while you sleep.  There is not now, and there never has been, an exception to this at any point across human history.  None.  Perhaps someday the wolves can be purged from human nature forever, and the sheepdogs will no longer be necessary, but I doubt it.

"Sheepdogs" are more dangerous to a "sheep" society than would be the "wolves". There are "sheepdogs" to protect people from other "sheepdogs". Not all "sheepdogs" are really protecting the "sheep" society.

There is no need that all sheepdogs are protecting socity at any given time.  The only requirement is that the sheepdogs exist, or the sheeps' civilization cannot continue to exist.  That is the premise of the analogy.  Again, did you bother to read ithe link I provided?  Or did you simply not understand it?

It's more likely, as Murkul pointed out, that a society dominated by sheepdogs develops that doesn't require a coordinating force (governments) to direct and monitor the sheepdogs; and doesn't suffer wolves to live.

A society only made of "sheepdogs" would eventually lead to a "sheepdog" war. Peace and lack of violence is an aspect of a "sheep" society, not an aspect of a "sheepdog" society. A society only made of "wolves" would result in almost self-extinction. No "sheep", no food. "Wolves" are know for attack their own specie to survive. A society only made of "sheep" would result in lack of technical progress, which could endanger the survival of the specie.

]You really are trying to stretch the analogy beyond it's limits, but what if a sheepdog society would lead to warfare?  What difference would it make to the sheep?  They are no longer around.  BTW, you're a sheep, in this analogy.  Don't take that as an insult, but you wouldn't be around to complain about the vilent nature of society if only the sheepdogs remained.  I think that it's an irony that you are falling right in line with the predictions of the author of that analogy.  Maybe you would see it if you bothered to read the link.

I did not even attempt to justify my right.  I do not require your approval or your concent to excersize any of my rights.  That's what makes them rights.

That is true.

So why do you think your right to own a firearm should never be refused (or prevented) by the society where you live?

http://a-human-right.com/

No, it's not.  It's reasonable because I have the right.  Period.  So do you, BTW; even though you are prevented from your rights by threat of force.

No, I do not have the right to own a weapon in the society where I live.

You have the right, but not the ability.  What you don't understand that your government does not grant you rights; it can either respect them and provide a legal structure that standardizes the social rules, or refuse to honor your rights and deny any practical utilization of your rights.  I live in the former, you live in the latter.

Quote from: MoonShadow on December 28, 2012, 03:03:05 PM
Again, that is not why I have the right.  I have the right because I have the right to self-defense; and the right to the most effective means of same.

So, you also own the firearms to efficiently defend yourself from an physical threat posed by a living entity (kill the attacker before it harms or kill you)? Why did you choose firearms? The main purpose of the firearm design was a factor in your choice?

Sometimes, othertimes it was not.   You speak of a topic for which you have already admitted you have no first hand knowledge.

How efficient is your tool of self-defense against living entities?

That varies significantly. The majority of my own firearms are rimfires, so they would be particulary ineffective if self-defense was their primary design consideration.  Excellent at small game hunting, though.  A rabbit doesn't leave much meat if you use a caliber actually intended for self-defense levels of energy.

Did you regarded non-lethal weapons to exercise your right to own a firearm?

If you are trying to ask if I have considered "less lethal" weaponry for self-defense, then the answer is yes.  I actually have such weapons, including but not limited to, a 12 gauge shotgun that is designed to fire a shorter than normal shotgun shell, packed with rock salt and pepper powder.   The explicit design goal is to inflict pain without great risk of lethal tissue damage, and without the risk of a projectile with enough kinetic energy to be able to pass through standard gysum board home walls and (potentially) harm my neighbors.  This is an escalation of force method, since (should my invader not get the idea) later shells in the line up do include harder and heaver projectiles.  A 12 gauge shotgun is very versitile.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
That was literary license, since I'm not the only one who utilizes my firearms to sling lead and copper at paper.  I was not anamorphasizing, get past it.

No, you literally used 'they' as pronoun for the noun 'firearm', not 'who utilizes my firearms'

'All my firearms (...) their (...), because they (...). they are (...) I (...).'

You mean like this?

they
plural pronoun, possessive their or theirs, objective them.
1. nominative plural of he, she, and it.

(Thank you Myrkul, I stand corrected. I am glad that you agreed to use a dictionary for the purpose it was originally designed.)

No, seriously.  You are really reaching here.  You are actually accusing me of what Myrkul was calling you guys out for, that you seem to have entirely misunderstood.

I beg your pardon, but what are you talking about? What is exactly the accusation?

So far I made an observation of how you justify your intent to use the firearms you own.

The weapon is a tool.  It is only a tool.

Yes, a tool specially designed to kill.

It has no moral capacity of it's own, cannot decide it's own intent.

Of course a tool do not have moral capacity. That is why your premise is misleading.

Even it's designer can only assume it's intended use.

The tool you own was designed to kill. It was not design to merely shoot at papers or rest in locked safes.

Myrkul was mocking you, and he still is.  You guys really aren't up for this, and are entirely unprepared for any real debate.

Argument ad hominem...

What a shame coming from you, Moonshadow.

It's not at all untrue.  It's provablely so, both today and across history.  No matter where you live, sheepdogs surround you, protect you, watch your borders & city streets while you sleep.  There is not now, and there never has been, an exception to this at any point across human history.  None.  Perhaps someday the wolves can be purged from human nature forever, and the sheepdogs will no longer be necessary, but I doubt it.

"Sheepdogs" are more dangerous to a "sheep" society than would be the "wolves". There are "sheepdogs" to protect people from other "sheepdogs". Not all "sheepdogs" are really protecting the "sheep" society.

It's more likely, as Murkul pointed out, that a society dominated by sheepdogs develops that doesn't require a coordinating force (governments) to direct and monitor the sheepdogs; and doesn't suffer wolves to live.

A society only made of "sheepdogs" would eventually lead to a "sheepdog" war. Peace and lack of violence is an aspect of a "sheep" society, not an aspect of a "sheepdog" society. A society only made of "wolves" would result in almost self-extinction. No "sheep", no food. "Wolves" are know for attack their own specie to survive. A society only made of "sheep" would result in lack of technical progress, which could endanger the survival of the specie.

What will likely to happen is that a "sheep" society will always choose their "sheepdogs" because there will be always other "sheepdogs" and "wolves" threatening the welfare of the "sheep" society.

I did not even attempt to justify my right.  I do not require your approval or your concent to excersize any of my rights.  That's what makes them rights.

That is true.

So why do you think your right to own a firearm should never be refused (or prevented) by the society where you live?

No, it's not.  It's reasonable because I have the right.  Period.  So do you, BTW; even though you are prevented from your rights by threat of force.

No, I do not have the right to own a firearm in the society where I live.

I am comfortable with this lack of right because it is not just applied over me.

Again, that is not why I have the right.  I have the right because I have the right to self-defense; and the right to the most effective means of same.

So, you also own the firearms to efficiently defend yourself from an physical threat posed by a living entity (kill the attacker before it harms or kill you)? Why did you choose firearms? The main purpose of the firearm design was a factor in your choice? How efficient is your tool of self-defense against living entities? Did you regarded non-lethal weapons to exercise your right to own a firearm?

Where it really breaks down, though, is that the "sheep" can provide the sheepdogs with kibble directly, and there's no real need for a farmer. In fact, that's a lot better than trusting a farmer, who might mistake a wolf for a sheepdog, thus endangering the whole flock.

Where it really breaks down is that without the breeding and training from the farmer, the sheepdog is just a wolf himself. But the metaphor really isn't meant to be stretched that far.
Good point. Human "sheepdogs" are self-selected, and don't really need a "farmer" to breed them.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Ta for that, myrkul.
Pages:
Jump to: